1994 KX Fork Conversion Options

mark_swart
Edited Date/Time 12/10/2017 11:45pm
Had my first track ride on my 94 KX 250 and the forks left something to be desired...pretty harsh. I guess the easiest thing would be to get them rebuilt/revalved, but if I'm going to spend the money anyway, would I be better off picking up some later model KX/KXF forks on ebay and getting them worked?
The 94 had what I consider to be 1st Generation KYB USD forks. I also wouldn't mind converting to a newer caliper/hub, because the whole assembly is pretty clunky compared to modern designs.
Has anyone messed around with modernizing the forks on a similar bike? Thanks!
|
colson973
11/18/2013 6:14am
I’m a race tech dealer in MN and have done some fork swapping on bikes. Biggest thing is just finding a set of triple clamps that fit your bike and the forks you want to install as well as matching up the new front wheel. In some cases you can machine out the clamps a millimeter or two but in your case that won’t be an option.

Also you will want to consider that those forks on your bike can be rebuilt and re-valved and you will notice huge improvements over stock. In the case of Race Tech gold valves that I use you can get both forks rebuilt and set up for $235.00. With the high flow pistons and better valving I would say most your harshness will be gone. Older bikes like yours are notorious for horrible stock valving set ups!

To buy a full modern front end and retro fit may be $800-$1000 plus who knows how those forks are set up vs. $235.00 to set up your forks. Its your call on how much the bike is worth to you and if the improvement to more mordern forks is worth the price difference for your riding ability.

See the below pic of the port size on a set of 2004 KX125 pistons vs Race Tech Gold Valves. Everyone has thier own therory on how to make suspension work but from my experiance the Race Tech products on older and new model bikes are very effective! The larger ports let the oil flow much easier on square edge bumps resulting in a big reduction in harshness. Plus with the proper valve stack your can also increase your bottoming resistance at the same time.

mark_swart
11/18/2013 6:16pm
Great point on the Gold Valves, I'll have to think about that for a while. And even if I buy used / newer forks, everything in them is still probably worn out. Thanks for the feedback!
WoWManNice
12/10/2017 7:31pm
mark_swart wrote:
Had my first track ride on my 94 KX 250 and the forks left something to be desired...pretty harsh. I guess the easiest thing would be...
Had my first track ride on my 94 KX 250 and the forks left something to be desired...pretty harsh. I guess the easiest thing would be to get them rebuilt/revalved, but if I'm going to spend the money anyway, would I be better off picking up some later model KX/KXF forks on ebay and getting them worked?
The 94 had what I consider to be 1st Generation KYB USD forks. I also wouldn't mind converting to a newer caliper/hub, because the whole assembly is pretty clunky compared to modern designs.
Do you know if you can take a 1998 kx250 triple clamp and use with a 1994 kx250 frame??
captmoto
12/10/2017 11:45pm
mark_swart wrote:
Had my first track ride on my 94 KX 250 and the forks left something to be desired...pretty harsh. I guess the easiest thing would be...
WoWManNice wrote:
Do you know if you can take a 1998 kx250 triple clamp and use with a 1994 kx250 frame??
The easiest way to find out is to go to Partzilla,com and look up the steering stem bearings. Click on the part number and it should send you to a fitment cross reference. If the bearings match you are a little closer to knowing. A previous post mentions finding the right wheel and clamps and so on but something else you might run into is a different offset that could either slow down your turning or turn it into a monster head shaker. You will probably be surprised at how well what you have can work with a revalve and new springs.

Post a reply to: 1994 KX Fork Conversion Options

The Latest