Castrol R

Related:
Create New Tag

11/7/2021 4:07 PM

One of the neatest things about the days when two strokes were king was the smell of the bean oil.

But we had terrible problems keeping the Castrol R in solution. The stuff would separate from the fuel and the engine would fry. You had to run the stuff very lean.

Any one else have trouble with this stuff?

|

11/7/2021 4:59 PM

A friend ran it in a road racing 4T. Had to drain it after every race weekend. I believe in premix it was only good to mix a tankful at a time. Great smell but being lazy spectro was my go to mix.

|

11/10/2021 1:23 PM

Last I checked there was Castrol Legacy R40 available in the UK. (R30 was your 2T oil) Castor bean oil has some interesting properties that still has some relevance today..
Does Maxima, Blendzall and a couple others still have a bean blend?

|

11/11/2021 11:10 PM

In the 70s I ran R at times, but went to other things like MC1 /30 ( is that the Bel Ray Designation?) through the unrelenting spruiking of it at the races. And, the mixing / unmixing 'things' you had to deal with.

R was fantastic, and the smell: you could float on.

In the mid 80s, I used Castrol R Synthetic in my Pantahs, and my RM/XR and CR/XR Hybrids. I got it at very good prices, it worked incredibly well - when engines were torn down, the difference in wear indicators when using R Synthetic was really visible.

And, the smell, even in a 'tight' 4t, was, once again, Wonderful. cool

I've still a few containers of it, and, use it when doing some machining. And, on a hot job, the smell evokes memories. When using it that way, and I have a mate or customer come into the workshop, they love it - even their Wives / Girl friends. w00t

|

11/21/2021 3:02 PM

Maxima 927

|

78 RM250C
79 YZ250F
81 YZ465H
80 MX6 125
81 MX6B 250

11/24/2021 8:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/24/2021 11:11 AM

'CZ Pete' was a former factory wrench who lived in my area. He didn't wrench for Jaroslav Falta, but for someone else on a CZ I no longer remember.

Before he would do any porting mods for you, he needed to see that you could ride well enough to get his "services".

I remember as a 15 or 16 year old, he watched me win a moto, and told me (1) I'm going to make your bike faster, (2) you need to be faster through the corners and (3) to help you go faster, always sing when you are racing. (4) Don't use any lubricant other than Castrol R.

Great advise, eh?

Loved the smell of that R30, but we fried one too many engines before converting over to Spectro.

|

11/24/2021 8:42 PM

In "American Graffiti," Steve Bolander (Ron Howard) tells Toad to keep his 58 Impala with fresh Castrol R while Steve's away at college. smile

Love the castor smell, Castrol R, Blendzall, 927 now.

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

11/25/2021 3:50 AM

FreshTopEnd wrote:

In "American Graffiti," Steve Bolander (Ron Howard) tells Toad to keep his 58 Impala with fresh Castrol R while Steve's away ...more

You know, I thought of that, but I put it down to my hazy, over imaginative memory - like nah, that can't have happened.

Cool, I'm not going crazy(er) w00t

|