Borderland Motocross Track, El Paso

8/31/2016 12:45pm
Once in awhile I would if someone beat me to the sign in. I had a lot of pictures before my dad passed. My sister's saw fit to throw them away when he left us.
8/31/2016 3:40pm
I might have a picture with you in it...I'll try to scan it.
When I quit riding for Fritz he kept a lot pictures/trophies etc...Jerk.

8/31/2016 4:59pm
Sorry guys...I dug up some more,
I don't know who took this picture, it was left on the seat of my CZ. Pretty trick for 500 years ago.

The Shop

12/4/2016 12:50am
Im happy some of us old dogs are remembered..this is Tony Iovinelli #244...i was pro in 1979 and up..with the mc Intyres....and logston ...perrero ...ect...if anyone has any pics or news with me in it..please let me know...all my stuff got lost ..i did monster trucks for years.after motocross

12/4/2016 1:10am
Im happy some of us old dogs are remembered..this is Tony Iovinelli #244...i was pro in 1979 and up..with the mc Intyres....and logston ...perrero ...ect...if anyone...
Im happy some of us old dogs are remembered..this is Tony Iovinelli #244...i was pro in 1979 and up..with the mc Intyres....and logston ...perrero ...ect...if anyone has any pics or news with me in it..please let me know...all my stuff got lost ..i did monster trucks for years.after motocross

Hows it going.
12/4/2016 1:10am
Im happy some of us old dogs are remembered..this is Tony Iovinelli #244...i was pro in 1979 and up..with the mc Intyres....and logston ...perrero ...ect...if anyone...

Hows it going.
T
David Bowen
1/11/2017 11:03am
Hey, I just came across this while searching for an old racing buddy that passed away. Brings back some fond memories. I raced here from about 79-80 through the 80's I guess. I raced 60s and then 80s Stock and modified Expert. I have many pictures at home that I will scan and upload. Some of you might remember me. I wore a racoon tail on the back of my helmet and was from La Luz NM. Great memories at this track. One of my favorite tracks in the country that I ever raced on. Later on in my career, my dad (I got to come too) took Maybe McIntyre to Washugal WA. and down to Saddleback in Carlsbad CA for pro races. In 1979 in the GNC Nationals in the Astrodome, I broke my femur in the 60cc main event in the first turn. Maybe McIntyre ended up in the ER in the gurney right next to me for casing a jump I believe. Good times. I'll dig up some pictures from the track. And hey, they're mostly color! lol.
smokin
3/25/2018 7:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2018 7:13pm
Larry wrote:
Maybe McItyer has to be one of the all time great racing names. Thats better than Lake Speed.
I wanted to know if anyone remembers the practice track supercross/out on the east side of town.across from red sands about 2 mi in .and also the motocross race park at el paso dragway.maybe two twin brothers practiced at the practice track and raced at the race park also,and I think my friend was a little faster mickey diamond when he was not playing his drums I knew maybe and shaun.
wtbiker
8/10/2018 3:49pm
A few years ago I purchased Harry West's 68 Maico 250mx from a family member and he sent me this photo of Harry's shop from the 60's, which was located on Dyer St.
8/10/2018 4:11pm
I spent many a day in that shop watching Harry his dad and some guys he had working for him repair motorcycles. I bought three motorcycles there. Two Hodaka and a Montesa. Harry was badass
8/10/2018 4:35pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2018 4:46pm
Hey Freddy....

Harry hated to lose, I had to watch out for him as he could be a tad bit, uhm... "competitive".

Is this you?
7x
8/10/2018 4:37pm
On a different topic, I won the 2017 New Mexico Mopar Challenge Series, it's good to win.
8/10/2018 5:24pm
Hey Freddy.... Harry hated to lose, I had to watch out for him as he could be a tad bit, uhm... "competitive". Is this you? 7x...
Hey Freddy....

Harry hated to lose, I had to watch out for him as he could be a tad bit, uhm... "competitive".

Is this you?
7x
Yes that would be me following you eating the dirt
8/10/2018 5:27pm
Yes that would be me following you eating the dirt and congratulations on the big win nice truck.
wtbiker
8/10/2018 8:00pm
I remember when Harry showed up at the track with a 501 Maico and shot a big roost on everyone. I never forgot how bad ass that bike sounded. My brother Mike Hanlon and I once rode over to Harry's on our mini bikes and saw Fred on his Montesa Cappra headed out for a ride. That set the hook for us to start racing for the next several years! ..........Pat Hanlon
NMHoleCZ
Fantasy
952nd
9/1/2018 2:24pm
Hi, I’ve been lurking here for a long time, but finally wanted to post because there are a few familiar names in this thread. I’m in Albuquerque, and only raced in El Paso once, probably a couple years before what you discuss here. I’ll never forget sitting on the starting line staring at that big uphill directly ahead. Mark Harrington cleaned our clocks that day in the 125 class. A couple years later he and Greg Schoenherr(sp.?) jumped clean over me side-by-side on 250s when they lapped me in a wild battle of their own at Mesa Park in Albuquerque, and that’s my main memory of Texas riders! The top NM riders when I raced were Gene Durham, Steve Chavez, Mike Ahern… though I do remember Scott Logston from a bit later. I remember lining up next to Randy Stahmann a few times in the 125 Amateur class at T. or C. (my favorite NM track) both of us on CZs in the days when it seemed that half that field – the fast half – were on Monarks.
Anyway, I love the photos and tales here – many thanks for sparking some great memories!
P.s. – I never knew Harry West, but from the way he’s spoken of here, I wish I had. R.I.P.
tweetybird
5/14/2019 3:10pm
tt80500 wrote:
Over the hill why dont time stand still like it did back then 5 years LOL My 76 yz was stock exept the head.I to wish...
Over the hill why dont time stand still like it did back then 5 years LOL My 76 yz was stock exept the head.I to wish that I had keept.The tanks are good for HL500 Yamahas which would be nice to own!Well I found your threed hear googled Carlos Serrono motocrosser!I raced with him in 74-75 at wilcox az.two az natives racing each other the only thing I could possable do is hole shot him well he aced me out and down before first turn I must have slowed just a hare.We were on these 74 CR HONDAS.I started and raced in 1977 with Sue Fish here at Borderland.My dad has got a good pix of her in the pits will have to post some day!!!!!!!!Are you still riding the motors over the hill???

I think this was my sister Sue?
tweetybird
5/14/2019 3:14pm
tt80500 wrote:
It was still down in the infield there below but they kicked it to a angle start to first turn they changed it up a little...
It was still down in the infield there below but they kicked it to a angle start to first turn they changed it up a little and put up banner strings.I can't exactully remember how the track went.Deming flat track I can Horseshoe shap and one jump something easy is all I remember!!!To many moons and tracks ago HA!!
I also flat tracked in Deming. I was 12 years old and on a CR250!
tweetybird
5/14/2019 3:16pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/10/01/33135/s1200_Copy_of_HPIM2623.jpg[/img] Anyone remember Arvol Brumley? I had lunch with him on one of my trips to El Paso. He still looks the same and is still...

Anyone remember Arvol Brumley? I had lunch with him on one of my trips to El Paso. He still looks the same and is still driving school buses for the Ysleta School District.
I sure remember him! He looks the same
tweetybird
5/14/2019 3:17pm
Never did race Tularosa. Good track? New Mexico tracks that I can remember riding were Stahman Farms in Las Cruces, Carlsbad, Truth or Consequences and La...
Never did race Tularosa. Good track? New Mexico tracks that I can remember riding were Stahman Farms in Las Cruces, Carlsbad, Truth or Consequences and La Luz outside of Alamagordo.
Same ones we raced at. Thank you Jim for these wonderful memories
tweetybird
5/14/2019 3:24pm
The name "Star Track" was selected by vote of the Southwest Dirt Riders Association in the late winter/early spring of 1977. The president of the Southwest...
The name "Star Track" was selected by vote of the Southwest Dirt Riders Association in the late winter/early spring of 1977. The president of the Southwest Dirt Riders Association was Mr. LaPointe and he organized the races. His son was a fast rider. That was the end of the name Borderland. Here is a list of the Rider's Standings at the Star Track in May of 1977:

Unfortunately, they left out us females that raced there! And Bo Jones, hmmm
tweetybird
5/14/2019 3:29pm
bradwmson wrote:
Over the hill, I remember the name Randy Stahmann, definitely the Stahmann's farm - I remember riding up there at least once, maybe two or three...
Over the hill,

I remember the name Randy Stahmann, definitely the Stahmann's farm - I remember riding up there at least once, maybe two or three times. i spent more time at Stahmann's buying pecans than i did racing, i think.I vaguely remember the Latrell's bus. I don't think I knew Phil, but I do remember someone that rode with an odd tilt or bend to the bars.

Of course that was back in the days of Maicos, CZs, Bultacos and a few I've forgotten, so odd bends were more the rule than the exception!

We were from the northeast side of the mountain, so most of my riding was out there, plus we had 80 acres just north of the Texas border in New Mexico off Anthony Gap road, so we spent much of our time riding the gas-line roads and cow trails.

Around town we rode at Casner range (back when it was desert) and out between 54 and the railroad tracks behind the big discount furniture store, and would often ride down the railroad to what we called Tank Hills, across the tracks from the military golf course.

When I google Earth El Paso, it seems like most of where we did our riding is now built up. Up here in Michigan, you almost can't ride off-road unless you are on an 'official' trail with your trail permit. Seems odd that back in 74 we just pushed the bike down the street to Trans-Mountain, fired it up, and rode all day without ever getting arrested.

I used to ride to Andress High School about once a week, up Trans-Mountain, and through the power line right of way to a friend's house by the school, leave it there all day, and ride it home at night.

Life sure seemed simpler then.
Troyboy wrote:
This is an old newspaper clipping from a race out at Stahmann farms back in 1980 or 81. Thought you'd enjoy another flashback from the good...
This is an old newspaper clipping from a race out at Stahmann farms back in 1980 or 81. Thought you'd enjoy another flashback from the good old days of motocross.
I think that one of the guy in the picture is Randy Stahmann, the other is Joel Craig.
We raced Stahmann’s, RIP Randy
wtbiker
5/14/2019 3:31pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/10/01/33135/s1200_Copy_of_HPIM2623.jpg[/img] Anyone remember Arvol Brumley? I had lunch with him on one of my trips to El Paso. He still looks the same and is still...

Anyone remember Arvol Brumley? I had lunch with him on one of my trips to El Paso. He still looks the same and is still driving school buses for the Ysleta School District.
tweetybird wrote:
I sure remember him! He looks the same
I bought Arvol's 1975 YZ250A from him several years back. It was sitting out behind his EP house for over 30 years! He's a very nice guy and used to be pretty fast!

Post a reply to: Borderland Motocross Track, El Paso

The Latest