Surfside Condo Collapse

GabeM
Edited Date/Time 7/1/2021 6:33am
RIP to the victims and godspeed to those trapped and hanging on and the folks who are searching for them

|
GabeM
6/26/2021 11:08am
Surfside Mayor said “Foundation was undermined that resulted in catastrophic building failure. It looks like bomb went off. But we know a bomb didn’t go off. It was something else.”

DryHuhHuhHuhHuh
MXant15
Fantasy
802nd
6/26/2021 11:24am
First to mention John Mcafee’s “death” on the 23rd, and the condo collapse on the 24th, where he supposedly owned a condo. He alleged there were files in that condo which he stored info regarding corruption in our government.

Prayers to the victims and their families.
6/26/2021 11:28am
I’m not a conspiracy nut and I’m gonna keep my thoughts to myself out of respect for the missing and killed but things are not adding up to me.

The Shop

KennyT
Fantasy
280th
6/26/2021 12:39pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2021 12:40pm
I’m not a conspiracy nut and I’m gonna keep my thoughts to myself out of respect for the missing and killed but things are not adding...
I’m not a conspiracy nut and I’m gonna keep my thoughts to myself out of respect for the missing and killed but things are not adding up to me.
There is no logical explanation for what happened. The only possible reason was a undetected massive sinkhole under the building. And yet why did it only take down the one section?

Structural issues do not make any sense with the way it imploded. Buildings do not all of a sudden give away like that with structural “issues”. There would have been warnings from the inspectors who would have deemed jt unsafe if there was any major settling. They did say it had movement but the amount they mentioned was minuscule.

Massive sink hole or strategically placed explosives. What else? I’m all for any thoughts….those are mine
TXDirt
6/26/2021 12:50pm
I’m not a conspiracy nut and I’m gonna keep my thoughts to myself out of respect for the missing and killed but things are not adding...
KennyT wrote:
There is no logical explanation for what happened. The only possible reason was a undetected massive sinkhole under the building. And yet why did it only...
There is no logical explanation for what happened. The only possible reason was a undetected massive sinkhole under the building. And yet why did it only take down the one section?

Structural issues do not make any sense with the way it imploded. Buildings do not all of a sudden give away like that with structural “issues”. There would have been warnings from the inspectors who would have deemed jt unsafe if there was any major settling. They did say it had movement but the amount they mentioned was minuscule.

Massive sink hole or strategically placed explosives. What else? I’m all for any thoughts….those are mine
Rebar could be rusting from the inside out. And you would not see it because it’s covered by the concrete.

I also read that this building was built in the early 80s or around then. And it was common to use sea shells in the concrete mix. They don’t have a lot of course material in the coastal areas so seashells would be mixed in. This is fine until they are exposed to moisture and deteriorate. Not saying this is what happened. Just some thoughts.

Also heard that like 80% of the buildings were funded by drug money. So everything from the concrete companies to the inspectors were all corrupt in many cases. 80% might seem high but I can definitely picture how cities like Miami grew in the 80s on the back of the cocaine craze of the 80s.
6/26/2021 1:43pm
MXant15 wrote:
First to mention John Mcafee’s “death” on the 23rd, and the condo collapse on the 24th, where he supposedly owned a condo. He alleged there were...
First to mention John Mcafee’s “death” on the 23rd, and the condo collapse on the 24th, where he supposedly owned a condo. He alleged there were files in that condo which he stored info regarding corruption in our government.

Snopes says false...so sounds like it's possibly true then.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
6/26/2021 2:16pm
TXDirt wrote:
Rebar could be rusting from the inside out. And you would not see it because it’s covered by the concrete. I also read that this building...
Rebar could be rusting from the inside out. And you would not see it because it’s covered by the concrete.

I also read that this building was built in the early 80s or around then. And it was common to use sea shells in the concrete mix. They don’t have a lot of course material in the coastal areas so seashells would be mixed in. This is fine until they are exposed to moisture and deteriorate. Not saying this is what happened. Just some thoughts.

Also heard that like 80% of the buildings were funded by drug money. So everything from the concrete companies to the inspectors were all corrupt in many cases. 80% might seem high but I can definitely picture how cities like Miami grew in the 80s on the back of the cocaine craze of the 80s.
Not just seashells but using salt water.
With that said I tried looking at pictures of rebar and it looked ok to me.
My figuring is a sinkhole that compromised the building, and damage was swept under the rug 1 too many times.
I saw something that the building had been sinking like 1cm a year for what, 40 years now. What happens when people get cheap. Ends up killing others.
Got bridges and so forth falling apart all over this country. If we don't address this kinda stuff now it's only going to get worse.
kongols
6/26/2021 2:33pm
Looks like a POS concrete to me.

GabeM
6/26/2021 2:45pm
MXant15 wrote:
First to mention John Mcafee’s “death” on the 23rd, and the condo collapse on the 24th, where he supposedly owned a condo. He alleged there were...

Snopes says false...so sounds like it's possibly true then. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/06/26/499526/s1200_Screenshot_20210626_152254_Samsung_Internet.jpg[/img]
Snopes says false...so sounds like it's possibly true then.
That is a fake tweet
GabeM
6/26/2021 2:48pm
TXDirt wrote:
Rebar could be rusting from the inside out. And you would not see it because it’s covered by the concrete. I also read that this building...

colintrax wrote:
Not just seashells but using salt water. With that said I tried looking at pictures of rebar and it looked ok to me. My figuring is...
Not just seashells but using salt water.
With that said I tried looking at pictures of rebar and it looked ok to me.
My figuring is a sinkhole that compromised the building, and damage was swept under the rug 1 too many times.
I saw something that the building had been sinking like 1cm a year for what, 40 years now. What happens when people get cheap. Ends up killing others.
Got bridges and so forth falling apart all over this country. If we don't address this kinda stuff now it's only going to get worse.
Looks like flashes going off just before the various portions give way. Could be electrical but watch the video, Flash then give way.

"building 7 didn't blow up itself"
PNWRider
6/27/2021 6:57am Edited Date/Time 6/27/2021 6:58am
Unfortunately there are buildings all over the country where the owners/municipalities/etc are aware of the deterioration and sweep it under the rug in the dice roll that nothing like this will ever happen. Government, especially, likes to kick the can down the road. Investing millions in a building doesn’t get votes, using those millions for special interests (while ignoring a building problem) does.
6/27/2021 11:56am
PNWRider wrote:
Unfortunately there are buildings all over the country where the owners/municipalities/etc are aware of the deterioration and sweep it under the rug in the dice roll...
Unfortunately there are buildings all over the country where the owners/municipalities/etc are aware of the deterioration and sweep it under the rug in the dice roll that nothing like this will ever happen. Government, especially, likes to kick the can down the road. Investing millions in a building doesn’t get votes, using those millions for special interests (while ignoring a building problem) does.
Why would the government invest millions in a private business?
PNWRider
6/27/2021 12:12pm
PNWRider wrote:
Unfortunately there are buildings all over the country where the owners/municipalities/etc are aware of the deterioration and sweep it under the rug in the dice roll...
1911 wrote:
Why would the government invest millions in a private business?
Sorry, perhaps I wasn’t clear. I wasn’t referring to this building with the government reference. I was trying to make the point that often, whether private or public sector, problems are ignored to save $ and/or use them elsewhere in the hope that the catastrophic “someday” never happens. I’m familiar with such cases on the government side, so I chose to reference that in my post.
6/27/2021 5:03pm
The building had been sinking for a long time, a cm a year or something like that. That with age right next to a salt water ocean will really damage any structure, especially if not corrected properly or in time. 40 years is a long time for a subpar built building to last anyways.

To say it was an InSiDe JoB is ridiculous when it was a shitty building more than likely owned by shitty owners who didn’t want to fix anything. I see it all the time in the construction industry where landlords will forego proper repairs in the name of saving money, when it will only cost more in the long run.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
6/27/2021 5:50pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2021 6:01pm
With all the condos being privately owned, wouldn’t there be some condo association (all condo owners belong to) that would be responsible for the upkeep of their building?

We own a unit in a 4-plex and we are responsible to asses issues and pay for repairs. We are all equal owners..

If our 4-plex collapsed on our renters because we didn’t maintain the building we would be responsible...not the contractors who built it.
6/27/2021 6:05pm
The building had been sinking for a long time, a cm a year or something like that. That with age right next to a salt water...
The building had been sinking for a long time, a cm a year or something like that. That with age right next to a salt water ocean will really damage any structure, especially if not corrected properly or in time. 40 years is a long time for a subpar built building to last anyways.

To say it was an InSiDe JoB is ridiculous when it was a shitty building more than likely owned by shitty owners who didn’t want to fix anything. I see it all the time in the construction industry where landlords will forego proper repairs in the name of saving money, when it will only cost more in the long run.
It's sad that such horrible accidents and people straight away go to the "its a conspiracy" crap.
And what possesses someone to make a fake tweet like the one above? pretty heartless, a lot of families are grieving, and some people use it as an excuse to get some kicks on the internet.
GabeM
6/27/2021 6:42pm
The building had been sinking for a long time, a cm a year or something like that. That with age right next to a salt water...

It's sad that such horrible accidents and people straight away go to the "its a conspiracy" crap. And what possesses someone to make a fake tweet...
It's sad that such horrible accidents and people straight away go to the "its a conspiracy" crap.
And what possesses someone to make a fake tweet like the one above? pretty heartless, a lot of families are grieving, and some people use it as an excuse to get some kicks on the internet.
We are living in unprecedented times. People and Governments use disinformation all the time to shape public opinion.
TXDirt
6/27/2021 6:53pm
Brad460 wrote:
With all the condos being privately owned, wouldn’t there be some condo association (all condo owners belong to) that would be responsible for the upkeep of...
With all the condos being privately owned, wouldn’t there be some condo association (all condo owners belong to) that would be responsible for the upkeep of their building?

We own a unit in a 4-plex and we are responsible to asses issues and pay for repairs. We are all equal owners..

If our 4-plex collapsed on our renters because we didn’t maintain the building we would be responsible...not the contractors who built it.
I think plenty of people would have a hard time ponying up the repair costs. I heard it could be $50,000 per unit or even more.

And what happens if you can’t afford that?

There are significant upfront costs just trying to determine what even needs to be repaired. If you have underground water issues you are talking big bucks to core down just to diagnose things.

And that’s before any complex and costly repairs.
Sully
6/27/2021 8:36pm

It's sad that such horrible accidents and people straight away go to the "its a conspiracy" crap. And what possesses someone to make a fake tweet...
I saw the McAfee theory the day the building collapsed, and just today, I saw another saying "they" were actually targeting Ivanka Trump (I have no idea who "they" is/are). Shit's getting crazy.
GabeM
6/27/2021 9:07pm

Sully wrote:
I saw the McAfee theory the day the building collapsed, and just today, I saw another saying "they" were actually targeting Ivanka Trump (I have no...
I saw the McAfee theory the day the building collapsed, and just today, I saw another saying "they" were actually targeting Ivanka Trump (I have no idea who "they" is/are). Shit's getting crazy.

Post a reply to: Surfside Condo Collapse

The Latest