Someone say tractor thread?

just James
Posts
1133
Joined
12/20/2012
Location
Wolf Creek, OR, USA
4/21/2020 6:40am
JustMX wrote:
Anybody have experience with mid 70's construction king backhoes? Neighbor had one that his late father rebuilt the engine on, replaced the brakes, and put all...
Anybody have experience with mid 70's construction king backhoes?

Neighbor had one that his late father rebuilt the engine on, replaced the brakes, and put all new hoses on.

Starts right up and everything seems pretty tight.

Looks like it has the old 4 stick controls, which I am not excited about, but he only wants $4k for it.

It looks like you can pull 2 pins and swap 2 hoses and set the backhoe off so it could be used just as a loader with a little weight on the back.

I have an older case 350b track loader that has a backhoe that sets off that way. Has a quick connect and backhoe sets off in 5 minutes. It needs an all new undercarriage and I am thinking I would be better off getting the ck for less than a new undercarraige.

Besides the 35ob, I also have a case 450c dozer. I really like the case equipment because it is easy to work on and there are all kinds of parts options.

They were ahead of their time on hydra static turning instead of turning clutches.

The 350 is different because it just uses individual brakes to turn kind of lIke tractors, so when you turn it locks up one side and the other speeds up twice as fast through the differential.
Check out "heavy equipment forums". There are some very knowledgeable people on there.
When I bought my backhoe it had transmission problems, and the guys on there were a big help when I started to fix it.
OldYZRider1
Posts
847
Joined
7/10/2009
Location
Bushnell, IL, USA
4/21/2020 3:10pm
My '52 Oliver 77 row crop tricycle gear is one of my all time favorite machines. So simple and 6 cylinder smooth. It was converted by the previous owner to a 12V system and I put a larger core radiator on it several years ago. Its a bit rough looking and I don't have the side curtains for it. Maybe someday I'll re-paint it and make a parade queen but I still think of it as a working machine. It's pulled a culti-mulcher around my track many a time.

In our construction business we have a MX100 Case loader tractor (MFWD, ROPS) which is a pretty nice machine too. Its a 100HP six cylinder and has the 16F/12R powershift trans. Also has the L650 mechanical leveling loader with a single joystick control. Its a pretty decent unit for shuttling/loading out dirt; I built most of my track with it. Joystick loader control is its weak link but I've made improvements to it to make it more durable. Even with its problems I believe a factory loader is a far better option than an aftermarket loader. We had a 5420 Case before this one with a Westendorf hydraulic self leveling loader and joystick control. That loader was built too light and the joystick/self-leveling were crap.

We also have a JD 6420 (MFWD, ROPS) that I bought used with low hours through our local JD dealer. It had been a customer of ours previously and he takes good care of equipment. He used it primarily for mowing so I had the dealer put a new 673 loader on it. I think I paid $55,000 for it all. Its a 4 cylinder and I never cared for its rough running nature; I thought it had a Harley engine in it the way it'd shake around sometimes Smile . Well it started giving a lot of trouble after a few years and wasn't running right at all. It turned out to have a problem in the electronically controlled pump which ultimately required a replacement all to the tune of an $11,000 bill. The dealer reduced it down to $8000 cause they had so much time and trouble in diagnosing it but I'm still gun shy about purchasing a newer JD as a result. Its now all the machine it should have been and I'm not sure if it ever was right when I bought it. Its a smooth runner now although I wish the loader joystick were up in the side console instead of beside the seat. I think if the loader had been purchased with the tractor new and installed at the factory it would have been placed there.

There's a ophthalmologist near me here that had a very large collection of JD's. He's getting on in years now but so far as I know he still has them. Most were restored and he had at least one Waterloo boy. I do like to listen to the old JD two cylinders run.
2
JustMX
Posts
5346
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
4/21/2020 4:44pm
My current fleet

My old ford 3000, currently with a 6' bushhog 3 pt backhoe mounted for some water line work. At one time I had a front blade on it that I used mainly for snow removal accounts.

Just solid well built machines. I would rather mow with this machine than anything else I have ever run. Rides good and stable.

450c case dozer also pictured in the back ground.


My 784 international, currently in my shop with a steering issue. Has a quick attach loader and I mainly used to handle about 250 round bales a year and do plowing and work in our horse arenas. Good machines but the one hydraulic pump runs everything. Power steering, brakes, loader, lift, and even the pto, all run off one pump.


My girlfriend's new holland tc 29da. Tough little tractor. She needed a small one to fit into her 30 stall horse stable built in a converted hog barn. With the ROPS up it clears the roll up doors by about 2". I have been using it to feed full size round bales while my 784 has been down. That gets interesting sometimes. These are good little tractors with crappy electrical systems. I think it has 8 relays on it, and you have to add another on because of a starter issue that is well known on these models. Currently had no pto because of a broken gear.


2

The Shop

4/21/2020 5:56pm
Dad sent a pic of his AC WD.


4
4/21/2020 6:03pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2020 6:04pm
My '52 Oliver 77 row crop tricycle gear is one of my all time favorite machines. So simple and 6 cylinder smooth. It was converted by...
My '52 Oliver 77 row crop tricycle gear is one of my all time favorite machines. So simple and 6 cylinder smooth. It was converted by the previous owner to a 12V system and I put a larger core radiator on it several years ago. Its a bit rough looking and I don't have the side curtains for it. Maybe someday I'll re-paint it and make a parade queen but I still think of it as a working machine. It's pulled a culti-mulcher around my track many a time.

In our construction business we have a MX100 Case loader tractor (MFWD, ROPS) which is a pretty nice machine too. Its a 100HP six cylinder and has the 16F/12R powershift trans. Also has the L650 mechanical leveling loader with a single joystick control. Its a pretty decent unit for shuttling/loading out dirt; I built most of my track with it. Joystick loader control is its weak link but I've made improvements to it to make it more durable. Even with its problems I believe a factory loader is a far better option than an aftermarket loader. We had a 5420 Case before this one with a Westendorf hydraulic self leveling loader and joystick control. That loader was built too light and the joystick/self-leveling were crap.

We also have a JD 6420 (MFWD, ROPS) that I bought used with low hours through our local JD dealer. It had been a customer of ours previously and he takes good care of equipment. He used it primarily for mowing so I had the dealer put a new 673 loader on it. I think I paid $55,000 for it all. Its a 4 cylinder and I never cared for its rough running nature; I thought it had a Harley engine in it the way it'd shake around sometimes Smile . Well it started giving a lot of trouble after a few years and wasn't running right at all. It turned out to have a problem in the electronically controlled pump which ultimately required a replacement all to the tune of an $11,000 bill. The dealer reduced it down to $8000 cause they had so much time and trouble in diagnosing it but I'm still gun shy about purchasing a newer JD as a result. Its now all the machine it should have been and I'm not sure if it ever was right when I bought it. Its a smooth runner now although I wish the loader joystick were up in the side console instead of beside the seat. I think if the loader had been purchased with the tractor new and installed at the factory it would have been placed there.

There's a ophthalmologist near me here that had a very large collection of JD's. He's getting on in years now but so far as I know he still has them. Most were restored and he had at least one Waterloo boy. I do like to listen to the old JD two cylinders run.
Olivers were ahead of their time. 77s get shit done! Spent a lot of time on 77s and 88s growing up. Wide fronts, narrow fronts, gassers and diesels.
JAFO92
Posts
5732
Joined
3/21/2016
Location
BFE, TX, USA
4/21/2020 6:09pm
Looks like you dad has a distributor on his WD instead of a mag. Looks great.
1
freeh
Posts
809
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
4/21/2020 7:36pm
Ok, this is not still in the family, but thought this thread would appreciate it anyway. Picture is from the mid-30's at my grandparents'farm. No clue what is is, but it looks wicked to me.
4
avidchimp
Posts
5863
Joined
7/9/2008
Location
EGL, MN, USA
4/22/2020 12:03am
JAFO92 wrote:
Put up a few rye grass rolls just now.

https://youtu.be/oQewzRxE3A0
I love all of this.

Why stack them like that/there though, and not under open air shelter?
JAFO92
Posts
5732
Joined
3/21/2016
Location
BFE, TX, USA
4/22/2020 5:25am
avidchimp wrote:
I love all of this.

Why stack them like that/there though, and not under open air shelter?
I was moving them off the field and will be hauling them to a different place on the gooseneck later so didnt put a lot of trouble into good stacking. Will haul them to rent pasture where the cows are later in the summer.



The main point for making round bales is they have a curved top and water runs off and you dont need to spend money putting a roof over them. JustMX said he's putting out 250 rolls a year, would cost big bucks to cover up that kinda volume.
2
4/22/2020 6:50am
freeh wrote:
Ok, this is not still in the family, but thought this thread would appreciate it anyway. Picture is from the mid-30's at my grandparents'farm. No clue...
Ok, this is not still in the family, but thought this thread would appreciate it anyway. Picture is from the mid-30's at my grandparents'farm. No clue what is is, but it looks wicked to me.
Those old steam tractors are incredible. I saw one at an old tractor show plowing a field with 10 people running the bazillion levers on that thing. Looked dangerous AF and put coal rolling into a new perspective for me.
4/22/2020 9:52am
Funny thing is we bicker about what model of MX bike is better - no different with tractors. I always thought a little 8N would be neat to have, dad said, “sure, you can run to town to get eggs with it.” Shocked
4/22/2020 3:17pm
JAFO92 wrote:
Looks like you dad has a distributor on his WD instead of a mag. Looks great.
Came standard that year - it’s a ‘51 I think. Another story: we went to an auction that had a WD - he bid on it - it was rode hard and put away wet - rusty and had shit welded on it - that tractor sold for $1050. We laughed. It was outside its whole life. Anyway, a guy came up to us at the auction. and said he had one in better condition and if we’d be interested.

Bought that one for $1250 and it looked just like the picture does when he bought it. I think all he’s done is replace the radiator (note: JB weld doesn’t work on a radiator leak when it’s actively leaking) LOL.
JustMX
Posts
5346
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
4/22/2020 3:26pm
avidchimp wrote:
I love all of this.

Why stack them like that/there though, and not under open air shelter?
JAFO92 wrote:
I was moving them off the field and will be hauling them to a different place on the gooseneck later so didnt put a lot of...
I was moving them off the field and will be hauling them to a different place on the gooseneck later so didnt put a lot of trouble into good stacking. Will haul them to rent pasture where the cows are later in the summer.



The main point for making round bales is they have a curved top and water runs off and you dont need to spend money putting a roof over them. JustMX said he's putting out 250 rolls a year, would cost big bucks to cover up that kinda volume.
About 200 in 3 different old barns under cover. All 3 barns are older and NOT designed for round bales. We cram as many as we can in and then stack 2500 square bales on top of the round stacks. Roofs are high because they all were built and used for tobacco drying at one time.

people we buy from also store some for us.

If I had more storage I would get more round bales and convert them to squares when needed. Take them the trailer with rounds and they square them and stack them on the trailer. You go back and hook up and go unload them.

i wouldn't be heading out to get squares out of the field at 3 pm when the heat index is way over 100 and trying to line up 4 or 6 guys to help, and wouldn't have to store them and then haul them again to stock up the stable.
1
JAFO92
Posts
5732
Joined
3/21/2016
Location
BFE, TX, USA
4/22/2020 4:11pm
JustMX wrote:
About 200 in 3 different old barns under cover. All 3 barns are older and NOT designed for round bales. We cram as many as we...
About 200 in 3 different old barns under cover. All 3 barns are older and NOT designed for round bales. We cram as many as we can in and then stack 2500 square bales on top of the round stacks. Roofs are high because they all were built and used for tobacco drying at one time.

people we buy from also store some for us.

If I had more storage I would get more round bales and convert them to squares when needed. Take them the trailer with rounds and they square them and stack them on the trailer. You go back and hook up and go unload them.

i wouldn't be heading out to get squares out of the field at 3 pm when the heat index is way over 100 and trying to line up 4 or 6 guys to help, and wouldn't have to store them and then haul them again to stock up the stable.
Gotcha on the old tobacco barns. Good alternative use. Maybe its regional due to differences in winters and duration of bad weather? For the most part in Texas people just dont spend the money to cover rolls.

When you haul square bales, are you using an accumulator on the field? My neighbor has a Kent hay mover and we use that thing. Its oldschool and will work you hard if you wanna go fast,, but the reversible conveyor is nice moving bales up in lofts.

https://youtu.be/eqb6uG-ejyY
1
charlie68
Posts
161
Joined
6/28/2019
Location
North Windham, CT, USA
4/22/2020 4:44pm
You dont pick them by the strings and knee them up onto the trailer?
Shit i am old.
2
JAFO92
Posts
5732
Joined
3/21/2016
Location
BFE, TX, USA
4/22/2020 6:33pm
charlie68 wrote:
You dont pick them by the strings and knee them up onto the trailer?
Shit i am old.
We still move a few the old way..


1
JustMX
Posts
5346
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
4/22/2020 9:05pm
JustMX wrote:
About 200 in 3 different old barns under cover. All 3 barns are older and NOT designed for round bales. We cram as many as we...
About 200 in 3 different old barns under cover. All 3 barns are older and NOT designed for round bales. We cram as many as we can in and then stack 2500 square bales on top of the round stacks. Roofs are high because they all were built and used for tobacco drying at one time.

people we buy from also store some for us.

If I had more storage I would get more round bales and convert them to squares when needed. Take them the trailer with rounds and they square them and stack them on the trailer. You go back and hook up and go unload them.

i wouldn't be heading out to get squares out of the field at 3 pm when the heat index is way over 100 and trying to line up 4 or 6 guys to help, and wouldn't have to store them and then haul them again to stock up the stable.
JAFO92 wrote:
Gotcha on the old tobacco barns. Good alternative use. Maybe its regional due to differences in winters and duration of bad weather? For the most part...
Gotcha on the old tobacco barns. Good alternative use. Maybe its regional due to differences in winters and duration of bad weather? For the most part in Texas people just dont spend the money to cover rolls.

When you haul square bales, are you using an accumulator on the field? My neighbor has a Kent hay mover and we use that thing. Its oldschool and will work you hard if you wanna go fast,, but the reversible conveyor is nice moving bales up in lofts.

https://youtu.be/eqb6uG-ejyY
We have about 60 horses, (about 20 boarders, 35 used for leases, trail rides and lessons, a few retired, and a few colts) and horses are so picky and prone to colicing if they eat anything sketchy that we take pains to store it well.

I would like to have one of those accumulators but not in the budget, plus we buy all our hay, most from a supplier 15 miles away that we pick up out of the field.

So familiar with the manual method. It dang sure isn't getting any easier for my 56 yo fat ass.
1
dean122
Posts
1126
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Upland, CA, USA
4/22/2020 9:54pm
If any of you guys need/interested in Komatsu in So Cal, hit a brother up!
Old Shoe
Posts
56
Joined
10/2/2016
Location
GB
4/23/2020 12:18am


Every bale lovingly cared for & carried by hand here too. Hay season brings back happy memories of childhood doing the same thing with even older kit. Sweating til you got nothing left but kept going all day long.



Tipping some grass last night.
3
JAFO92
Posts
5732
Joined
3/21/2016
Location
BFE, TX, USA
4/23/2020 5:47am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2020 5:47am
JustMX wrote:
We have about 60 horses, (about 20 boarders, 35 used for leases, trail rides and lessons, a few retired, and a few colts) and horses are...
We have about 60 horses, (about 20 boarders, 35 used for leases, trail rides and lessons, a few retired, and a few colts) and horses are so picky and prone to colicing if they eat anything sketchy that we take pains to store it well.

I would like to have one of those accumulators but not in the budget, plus we buy all our hay, most from a supplier 15 miles away that we pick up out of the field.

So familiar with the manual method. It dang sure isn't getting any easier for my 56 yo fat ass.
Yeah no doubt horses will certainly colic, lay down and twist a gut then its game over. (many people dont realize they are not ruminants like cattle) We put up coastal bermuda square bales for our horses and of course that is kept in barns so usually colic isnt an issue. We keep some Banamine around just in case though.

Dont feel alone, Im 56 and could stand to drop a lbs few myself.

just James
Posts
1133
Joined
12/20/2012
Location
Wolf Creek, OR, USA
4/23/2020 5:58am
HAY, I think this thread went off course. 😋
JustMX
Posts
5346
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
4/23/2020 6:33am
just James wrote:
HAY, I think this thread went off course. 😋
FESC.....UE!
1
just James
Posts
1133
Joined
12/20/2012
Location
Wolf Creek, OR, USA
4/23/2020 7:08am
😄
JAFO92
Posts
5732
Joined
3/21/2016
Location
BFE, TX, USA
4/23/2020 7:18am
just James wrote:
HAY, I think this thread went off course. 😋
Better?

Planting bermuda seed with 5600 and HayVan drill

1
JustMX
Posts
5346
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
4/23/2020 11:24am
Man, I would love to be able to get Bermuda growing here. I had it in parking lots at several mx tracks I ran and loved how it repairs itself after it got damaged when it rained and race rigs tore it up.

Horses are so tough in pasture. Especially so when property is hilly like ours here in NE TN.

My gf never anticipated her business getting as big as it has and she simply doesn't have enough land.

We aren't able to rotate grazing at all, but have gotten a little relief from 2 elderly neighbors that let us run horses on their land just so they don't have to mow it.

I have started blocking off some sections in our paddocks when we start feeding a lot of hay in the fall and seeding it in rye and fescue for the spring.

Turning the horses out in that in the spring is like black Friday at walmart
JAFO92
Posts
5732
Joined
3/21/2016
Location
BFE, TX, USA
4/23/2020 1:19pm
Yeah horses kill all grass if you let them. I have very sloping ground and its paramount to keep a cover or erosion can be devastating. So we make sure we never over graze where our horses are and once it starts getting dry in summer they get put in the arena and fed hay to let the grass cover in smaller pastures survive our hot/dry July/Aug/Sept.
JAFO92
Posts
5732
Joined
3/21/2016
Location
BFE, TX, USA
4/23/2020 1:28pm
BTW that bermuda seed is high dollar. Around $300 a bag now. ( that is regular common bermuda, not a foo-foo hybrid)








1
JustMX
Posts
5346
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
4/24/2020 7:02am
JAFO92 wrote:
Put up a few rye grass rolls just now.

https://youtu.be/oQewzRxE3A0



How JAFO listens to "play that funky music"




How I listen to "the devil went down to Georgia"
1

Post a reply to: Someone say tractor thread?

The Latest