Question For the Gun Nuts

Stanford
Posts
290
Joined
2/20/2011
Location
USA
Edited Date/Time 12/21/2015 11:58am
Sorry, had to title it that way to get your attention! I'm going to purchase my first handgun. I want to have some protection in the house just in case. I would like to have a semi-automatic as opposed to a revolver. I can foresee taking it to the range a few times a year, but otherwise it would be kept in the house, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that's going to sit tucked away a majority of the time. I guess my questions are......

1. Any recommendations on what to get? Again, I want to keep the cost down.
2. Storage - I thought about a locking case of some kind due to kids in and out of the house, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having it for protection. Any storage thoughts?
3. There is a gun show that comes to town - any thoughts on buying something used from them as opposed to a retailer?

Any help is appreciated!
|
newmann
Posts
24437
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
12/8/2015 7:18pm
There is a good 9mm thread going right now you should jump in.
JRT812
Posts
2809
Joined
3/4/2014
Location
Cottontown, TN, USA
12/8/2015 7:47pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2015 7:48pm
newmann wrote:
There is a good 9mm thread going right now you should jump in.
I second that and look at the tread. Locking cases are great and most transferable cases appear to be similar. In my opinion, the best training is showing a kid what a bullet can do. At the house, my guns are locked up other than what I am currently carrying. They need to ask to see a gun under my supervison. I feel like it eliminates the wow factor of guns, but they need to see what the gun is capable of first. Buying at a gun show can be good as long as you follow the guidelines. You might be able to talk them down, but be aware of some joe trying to sell a gun without the proper credentials.
FastEddy
Posts
14815
Joined
8/3/2008
Location
💀, FL, USA
12/8/2015 7:49pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2015 7:57pm
Stanford wrote:
Sorry, had to title it that way to get your attention! I'm going to purchase my first handgun. I want to have some protection in the...
Sorry, had to title it that way to get your attention! I'm going to purchase my first handgun. I want to have some protection in the house just in case. I would like to have a semi-automatic as opposed to a revolver. I can foresee taking it to the range a few times a year, but otherwise it would be kept in the house, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that's going to sit tucked away a majority of the time. I guess my questions are......

1. Any recommendations on what to get? Again, I want to keep the cost down.
2. Storage - I thought about a locking case of some kind due to kids in and out of the house, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having it for protection. Any storage thoughts?
3. There is a gun show that comes to town - any thoughts on buying something used from them as opposed to a retailer?

Any help is appreciated!
Gun shows are usually over priced (even used stuff is - they buy cheap and sell for more).
I'd look on armslist.com or even go around to pawnshops or local gun shops.
If you deal with a private private party just have them meet you at a gun shop and transfer it through their FFL.

Some advice on choosing a weapon...
Just put a few in your hands in your price range and see how they feel.
Some shops may even have a range where you can rent firearms & test them.
That might be a good way to go.Maybe even take a class there.

A decent all around pistol that is affordable and concealable is a Glock 19.
Wet or dry...dirty or clean, I've never had any issues with mine.
You can find 100rnd mags for them for target/fun shooting.The stock mags usually hold 15+1.
You can usually find them(glock 19's) in the $400 to $500 price range used or like new.

If you aren't down with a 9mm and looking for something concealable with more knock down power...
The next gun on my reliable suggestion list is a HK USP 45 C.
But they are bit more expensive $650 to $800 I've seen them sell for(depending on condition).
But HK's hold their value better than most other weapons,so they aren't a bad investment.

Here's a solid deal...on a HK45C.
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-pistols-sale/228688-wts-hk45c-price-reduc…






The Shop

huck
Posts
17048
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Mountain Home, AR, USA
12/9/2015 5:38am
Stanford wrote:
Sorry, had to title it that way to get your attention! I'm going to purchase my first handgun. I want to have some protection in the...
Sorry, had to title it that way to get your attention! I'm going to purchase my first handgun. I want to have some protection in the house just in case. I would like to have a semi-automatic as opposed to a revolver. I can foresee taking it to the range a few times a year, but otherwise it would be kept in the house, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that's going to sit tucked away a majority of the time. I guess my questions are......

1. Any recommendations on what to get? Again, I want to keep the cost down.
2. Storage - I thought about a locking case of some kind due to kids in and out of the house, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having it for protection. Any storage thoughts?
3. There is a gun show that comes to town - any thoughts on buying something used from them as opposed to a retailer?

Any help is appreciated!
My kids are both trained and educated on guns. They know exactly where my guns are in the house (even have one in my son's bedroom). I think education is the key. They know the rules. They know that guns aren't toys. My long guns are all in the bigger safes, with most of my hand guns, but some aren't locked up.

If you are concerned about safety, you can get a fingerprint/handprint safe relatively inexpensive now. They open fast and give you a piece of mind about somebody messing with your gun.

A lot of gun shows charge more than you could get from your local gun dealer. It's nice to go in and talk to your local guy, get to know him, let him get to know you...and he can recommend which is right for your needs.

9MM is probably the going to be an all around good choice. It still has a bit of a punch, yet is pretty cheap to shoot for practice.
12/9/2015 6:01am
If you're buying it for home protection and you're not real good eith a gun, scrap the hand gun and buy a shot gun. 99% of the people that think they are badass will miss with a handgun under duress, a shotgun is not going to miss.
hillbilly
Posts
9079
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Afton, TN, USA
12/9/2015 6:27am
UpTiTe wrote:
If you're buying it for home protection and you're not real good eith a gun, scrap the hand gun and buy a shot gun. 99% of...
If you're buying it for home protection and you're not real good eith a gun, scrap the hand gun and buy a shot gun. 99% of the people that think they are badass will miss with a handgun under duress, a shotgun is not going to miss.
I got a old double that I sawed the barrels back to about 9 inches and made a stock for easy grip.

Last friday the power went out at 11pm so i go out the drive to see if it is everybody or just me. When turning around i see debri in the road and then see the pole clipped then the car in the creek with both doors open and nobody.

Rushing back home i call the law and find out it is srolen and they had been chasing them. Dark as pitch I'm hold up on the porch waiting to put holes in a dead beat.

Cant imagine not having a firearm ,when you need it you need it. Cops never found them, after power came on I went out and cleared my barns and buildings,gets the old heart rate up.
agn5009
Posts
6747
Joined
6/8/2012
Location
State College, PA, USA
12/9/2015 6:29am
I agree with Huck, get a finger print hand print safe. With so many different options on hand guns it's impossible for anyone to tell you what to buy. I can tell you that I absolutely love Glock and Smith & Wesson. I have The Glock model 20, 21 and 42 (.40, .45 & .380.) I also have the smith & wesson .40, a few revolvers in 357 and 38 special.

That being said, my absolute favorite hand gun I own is my smith & wesson shield 9 mm. I love it. It's perfect for concealed carry and extremely accurate. I can easily hit the silhouette on a target from 50 yards every single time, which is extremely rare for a hand gun that size. Actually, it's rare for any hand gun but we won't go into that.

Like uptite said, if you're only interested in protection within your home you may want to consider a shotgun. You're not missing your target at close range with a shotgun. There's a good chance you will miss with a hand gun.

Like I said, no one can accurately tell you what you want. Handguns are like dirt bikes, the top name brands make very good models. Think suzuki, kaw, honda, ktm, yamaha vs. S&W, glock, ruger, HK, etc. But don't go buying junk (like you wouldn't go buy a sky team piece of junk Chinese dirt bike) everyone has their preference. Everyone is different. Go to a reputable dealer and hold every one you're interested in. Talk to them, tell them your wants and needs. Do NOT buy a gun at an expo.
newmann
Posts
24437
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
12/9/2015 6:52am
Why are so many people against buying something at a gun show? I'll admit I like a good local gun shop as much as anyone else but around here selection is extremely limited. Hitting a big gun show, you have thousands of guns laying out for you to fondle and inspect and a price check couldn't be any easier with a smart phone in hand. Hard to overpay for something these days unless you are willing. I bought two at the last show, got one (Wilson Combat Beretta)$25.00 bucks less than anywhere else plus it was there and the other option was a couple month wait to order. The other one(Springfield MC Operator) was about $200.00 under retail. Haven't seen one that cheap on the net.
hvaughn88
Posts
8361
Joined
6/19/2013
Location
Conway, AR, USA
12/9/2015 7:28am
Out of all the guns I have, the only one that is complete garbage is the Jimenez .22 pistol my wife had before we were married. It's a terrible gun. They are cheap as hell and I still think they are overpriced for how bad they are.
hvaughn88
Posts
8361
Joined
6/19/2013
Location
Conway, AR, USA
12/9/2015 7:56am
Speaking of shotguns, has anyone shot the Kel Tec KSG? They caught my eye and look fun as hell, but I've never shot a Kel Tec in any form at all. Just curious if anyone has any experience with one.
TailSoHard
Posts
1656
Joined
10/18/2014
Location
Beer City, MI, USA
12/9/2015 8:07am Edited Date/Time 12/9/2015 8:08am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Speaking of shotguns, has anyone shot the Kel Tec KSG? They caught my eye and look fun as hell, but I've never shot a Kel Tec...
Speaking of shotguns, has anyone shot the Kel Tec KSG? They caught my eye and look fun as hell, but I've never shot a Kel Tec in any form at all. Just curious if anyone has any experience with one.
I have not shot one of those, but they look friggin fun! Had a Bullpup Unlimited kit for my 870 for a little bit and that sold me on the short shotgun craze.

Speaking of Kel-Tec, a buddy of mine had one of those Kel-Tec PMR .22 pistols and that thing was an absolute blast to shoot! Holds like 30 rounds of .22 ammo and was like $400 brand new? Lots of bang for your buck (literally) lol Some of the most fun I've ever had is squirrel hunting with .22 pistols haha
MR. X
Posts
6913
Joined
6/24/2010
Location
North Tonawanda, NY, USA
12/9/2015 8:12am
hillbilly wrote:
I got a old double that I sawed the barrels back to about 9 inches and made a stock for easy grip. Last friday the power...
I got a old double that I sawed the barrels back to about 9 inches and made a stock for easy grip.

Last friday the power went out at 11pm so i go out the drive to see if it is everybody or just me. When turning around i see debri in the road and then see the pole clipped then the car in the creek with both doors open and nobody.

Rushing back home i call the law and find out it is srolen and they had been chasing them. Dark as pitch I'm hold up on the porch waiting to put holes in a dead beat.

Cant imagine not having a firearm ,when you need it you need it. Cops never found them, after power came on I went out and cleared my barns and buildings,gets the old heart rate up.
After reading alot of your posts ,I find it really hard to believe you don't have a trusty hound dog by your side to alert you of intruders.
newmann
Posts
24437
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
12/9/2015 8:22am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Out of all the guns I have, the only one that is complete garbage is the Jimenez .22 pistol my wife had before we were married...
Out of all the guns I have, the only one that is complete garbage is the Jimenez .22 pistol my wife had before we were married. It's a terrible gun. They are cheap as hell and I still think they are overpriced for how bad they are.
Jimenez. You go to the range to practice shooting while she practices throwing her gun at the target?Laughing

I have some friends who are multi millionaires. Invited them to join in our CHL class I put together. Neither had guns so they went and bought two of the cheapest guns you can buy. Dizzy
hvaughn88
Posts
8361
Joined
6/19/2013
Location
Conway, AR, USA
12/9/2015 8:33am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Out of all the guns I have, the only one that is complete garbage is the Jimenez .22 pistol my wife had before we were married...
Out of all the guns I have, the only one that is complete garbage is the Jimenez .22 pistol my wife had before we were married. It's a terrible gun. They are cheap as hell and I still think they are overpriced for how bad they are.
newmann wrote:
Jimenez. You go to the range to practice shooting while she practices throwing her gun at the target?:laugh: I have some friends who are multi millionaires...
Jimenez. You go to the range to practice shooting while she practices throwing her gun at the target?Laughing

I have some friends who are multi millionaires. Invited them to join in our CHL class I put together. Neither had guns so they went and bought two of the cheapest guns you can buy. Dizzy
That's about right, haha! I bet I could throw it unloaded and it would still end up jammed
12/9/2015 9:06am
Its the wild west out here in Northern California so I'm looking to buy my first handgun too.
huck
Posts
17048
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Mountain Home, AR, USA
12/9/2015 9:17am
newmann wrote:
Why are so many people against buying something at a gun show? I'll admit I like a good local gun shop as much as anyone else...
Why are so many people against buying something at a gun show? I'll admit I like a good local gun shop as much as anyone else but around here selection is extremely limited. Hitting a big gun show, you have thousands of guns laying out for you to fondle and inspect and a price check couldn't be any easier with a smart phone in hand. Hard to overpay for something these days unless you are willing. I bought two at the last show, got one (Wilson Combat Beretta)$25.00 bucks less than anywhere else plus it was there and the other option was a couple month wait to order. The other one(Springfield MC Operator) was about $200.00 under retail. Haven't seen one that cheap on the net.
I'm not against it at all... but for an uneducated first time buyer, they will most likely pay more, than if they shopped with a local gun dealer.
FLmxer
Posts
7313
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
SouthWest, FL, USA
Fantasy
12/9/2015 10:01am
Can't go wrong with a glock. There is a reason 99% of police used them in every country for so long. It just feels right in your hand and very accurate and reliable. There is new and maybe better models out but it is a proven tool.
12/9/2015 10:25am
FLmxer wrote:
Can't go wrong with a glock. There is a reason 99% of police used them in every country for so long. It just feels right in...
Can't go wrong with a glock. There is a reason 99% of police used them in every country for so long. It just feels right in your hand and very accurate and reliable. There is new and maybe better models out but it is a proven tool.
Police and the FBIuse Glocks because they get a huge discount. Most people in law enforcment like revolvers and use them as a backul weapon.
12/9/2015 10:33am
UpTiTe wrote:
If you're buying it for home protection and you're not real good eith a gun, scrap the hand gun and buy a shot gun. 99% of...
If you're buying it for home protection and you're not real good eith a gun, scrap the hand gun and buy a shot gun. 99% of the people that think they are badass will miss with a handgun under duress, a shotgun is not going to miss.
hillbilly wrote:
I got a old double that I sawed the barrels back to about 9 inches and made a stock for easy grip. Last friday the power...
I got a old double that I sawed the barrels back to about 9 inches and made a stock for easy grip.

Last friday the power went out at 11pm so i go out the drive to see if it is everybody or just me. When turning around i see debri in the road and then see the pole clipped then the car in the creek with both doors open and nobody.

Rushing back home i call the law and find out it is srolen and they had been chasing them. Dark as pitch I'm hold up on the porch waiting to put holes in a dead beat.

Cant imagine not having a firearm ,when you need it you need it. Cops never found them, after power came on I went out and cleared my barns and buildings,gets the old heart rate up.
You sound like you are just itching to kill somebody, anybody, and justify it as your life was in danger.
I'm not against guns, but you scare me.

12/9/2015 10:40am
hillbilly wrote:
I got a old double that I sawed the barrels back to about 9 inches and made a stock for easy grip. Last friday the power...
I got a old double that I sawed the barrels back to about 9 inches and made a stock for easy grip.

Last friday the power went out at 11pm so i go out the drive to see if it is everybody or just me. When turning around i see debri in the road and then see the pole clipped then the car in the creek with both doors open and nobody.

Rushing back home i call the law and find out it is srolen and they had been chasing them. Dark as pitch I'm hold up on the porch waiting to put holes in a dead beat.

Cant imagine not having a firearm ,when you need it you need it. Cops never found them, after power came on I went out and cleared my barns and buildings,gets the old heart rate up.
You sound like you are prepared to defend yourself and your family if need be. I'm not against guns, but it sounds like you have your $hit together.
h&m_cycle
Posts
4410
Joined
2/23/2014
Location
Steubenville, OH, USA
12/9/2015 10:57am
I got one of these... wheel gun won't jam on ya...

45/410 triple odd buckshot...



12/9/2015 1:06pm
UpTiTe wrote:
If you're buying it for home protection and you're not real good eith a gun, scrap the hand gun and buy a shot gun. 99% of...
If you're buying it for home protection and you're not real good eith a gun, scrap the hand gun and buy a shot gun. 99% of the people that think they are badass will miss with a handgun under duress, a shotgun is not going to miss.
Smart. It's not just that, but a pistol or rifle round has a much better chance of traveling through your house and killing someone in another room or even outside - or next door.

A shotgun with a heavy birdshot is the weapon of choice for home defense. Come out of a dead sleep and try and aim your pistol. Good luck! Shotgun = Point And Shoot.
h&m_cycle
Posts
4410
Joined
2/23/2014
Location
Steubenville, OH, USA
12/9/2015 1:13pm
You sound like you are just itching to kill somebody, anybody, and justify it as your life was in danger. I'm not against guns, but you...
You sound like you are just itching to kill somebody, anybody, and justify it as your life was in danger.
I'm not against guns, but you scare me.

Ya got to be a little "crazy" to be fast enough get paid to race full time... LMAO...
Mr. G
Posts
4225
Joined
12/23/2009
Location
Riverside, CA, USA
12/9/2015 1:54pm
Gun nuts
h&m_cycle
Posts
4410
Joined
2/23/2014
Location
Steubenville, OH, USA
12/9/2015 3:19pm
Mr. G wrote:
Gun nuts
So what cha gonna do when someone breaks in? Take the tampons out of your purse & throw them at the bad guys?...












Joking... Laughing Silly Kissing
12/9/2015 7:48pm Edited Date/Time 12/9/2015 7:50pm
UpTiTe wrote:
If you're buying it for home protection and you're not real good eith a gun, scrap the hand gun and buy a shot gun. 99% of...
If you're buying it for home protection and you're not real good eith a gun, scrap the hand gun and buy a shot gun. 99% of the people that think they are badass will miss with a handgun under duress, a shotgun is not going to miss.
Second the motion- the universal shit-their-thieving-pants sound: "shuck-shuck."

Grab some pdx defender rounds. Buck shot with a slug. Aim at the opposite wall the thieve/threat is standing near and you're fuckng their world up.
Mr. G
Posts
4225
Joined
12/23/2009
Location
Riverside, CA, USA
12/9/2015 10:48pm
Mr. G wrote:
Gun nuts
h&m_cycle wrote:
So what cha gonna do when someone breaks in? Take the tampons out of your purse & throw them at the bad guys?... Joking... :laugh: :silly...
So what cha gonna do when someone breaks in? Take the tampons out of your purse & throw them at the bad guys?...












Joking... Laughing Silly Kissing
You misunderstood. I was making fun of the term.
Mr. G
Posts
4225
Joined
12/23/2009
Location
Riverside, CA, USA
12/9/2015 10:49pm
Some of our replys should be done with video.

Post a reply to: Question For the Gun Nuts

The Latest