Mac user question(s)

Related:
Create New Tag

7/23/2008 9:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/26/2008 3:00 PM

Do any of you Mac users have a version of Microsoft Office on your machines? If so, did any of you find any good deals, and if so, where?

Thanks in advance.

|

7/23/2008 9:27 AM

Yes, a great deal.

Bittorrent

|

Empty a bag of skittles into the toilet and then flush. It's like watching a five second long nascar race.

7/23/2008 10:16 AM

I got a great deal on mine.

My company paid for it.

|

Ask not what your country can do for you, unless you can afford a lobbyist.

7/23/2008 10:22 AM

I bought the student teacher version. It's less than the full version but is missing some of the programs.. only includes powerpoint, word, and excel.. I didn't need the other programs.

|

7/23/2008 10:26 AM

Jenny37 wrote:

I bought the student teacher version. It's less than the full version but is missing some of the programs.. only includes powerpoint, word, and excel.. I didn't need the other programs.

Do you remember how much it was? I need to do some comparison shopping.

|

7/23/2008 10:41 AM

I don't think the price varies a whole lot. We run it and have since we first got ours back in 2000 or so. The student edition has always met our needs.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campaigns/office2008?mco=MTQwMTA0OQ

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

7/23/2008 10:57 AM

Jenny37 wrote:

Same

had it for a while though
It's office 2003 (I think)

|

This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. - FDR

"Grant money is not pork" - Rep Allen West

7/23/2008 11:21 AM

Just switch to Open Office and be done with it. Helluva lot more stable to.

www.openoffice.org

|

Another post brought to you by the internet tough guy, bully, and general "big meanie".

"Those who hammer their guns into plows
will plow for those who do not."
- Thomas Jefferson

7/23/2008 11:37 AM

I have to be compatible with other companies in my new business, and they all use MS Office. Yeah, I know supposedly you can use Open Office for those documents, but I've had experiences where Word docs would come in screwed up on Open Office. So, it really isn't 100% compatible.

The $180 (abouts) isn't bad for MS Office. I'll probably just do that. Thanks, kids.

|

7/23/2008 12:02 PM

I have the student and teacher version as well. Cant remember how much I paid for it though. You get 3 passcodes for it as well.

|

7/23/2008 4:29 PM

Open office?
Never been able to use the open office on my Mac.
I use Neo Office. I have never had 1 issue with any documents with it and my business too uses 100% MS Office documents and spread sheets.

|

A new study shows that Depression hits Losers the hardest.

7/23/2008 4:31 PM

xewbx wrote:

www.openoffice.org

No shit.
Open office is the shit.

|

I was always afraid of the fury with which I loved you, it overwhelmed me, hence my silence.

7/23/2008 6:18 PM

Homey wrote:

Open office?
I use Neo Office. I have never had 1 issue with any documents with it and my business too uses 100% MS Office documents and spread sheets.

Neo Office? I'll have to check it out. Gonna by a Mac, and I want to use it for my business.

|

7/23/2008 6:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/23/2008 6:27 PM

One of the main problems that I have found with working with Office on the Mac vs PC is that PC fonts are not sometimes recognised by the Mac, and the Mac substitutes another font, causing documents to go out of sync. That is if you open documents on a Mac after they were created on a PC.
Creating the doc on a Mac and opening on a PC has never given me problems.

|

7/23/2008 6:25 PM

xewbx wrote:

www.openoffice.org

There is no way in hell that OpenOffice is better than Microsoft Office. And this is coming from a Mac and Linux guy.

|

7/23/2008 10:59 PM

This is what I use.. 140 bucks and your good to go.

I think they will also give you a free 30 day trial

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/Office2008/shop-now.mspx

|

A village in Kenya is missing its idiot

7/23/2008 11:46 PM

I use Iwork and just export to office file format.

|

7/24/2008 5:15 AM

xewbx wrote:

www.openoffice.org

The Hurricane wrote:

There is no way in hell that OpenOffice is better than Microsoft Office. And this is coming from a Mac and Linux guy.

I didn't say better........I said more stable.........which it is. By magnitudes. Better I'd debate.......if you define better as more features, then MS Office is "better", but who used 90% of those bloated useless extra "features"?

And when you switch over to the newest version of Office.......and all your Macros break, document compatibility disapears, your software converts all your files to a format that nobody else can read.......and various assundry other problems.........you might change your mind.

Anyway.....open source in general isn't for everyone for sure, but Open Office, like Firefox, is a project that is very mature and stable........and for 95% of the people out there, will do everything they need an Office Suite to do.

|

Another post brought to you by the internet tough guy, bully, and general "big meanie".

- Thomas Jefferson

7/24/2008 5:20 AM

Homey wrote:

Open office?

If you're ever interested in trying it, there is both a OSX for Intel port, and a PPC port.

Download from this page......choose your language and platform.

I've never ran it on a Mac, but I've been using it on 'nix since it was Star Office years and years ago. It's come a very long way since then.

http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US

|

- Thomas Jefferson

7/24/2008 7:42 AM

Hell you could even use Google Docs or Zoho.com if you really wanted to.

|

7/24/2008 10:04 AM

Jenny37 wrote:

jtomasik wrote:

Do you remember how much it was? I need to do some comparison shopping.

It was like $135ish if I remember correctly.

|

7/24/2008 12:44 PM

Rooster wrote:

Yes, a great deal.

Bittorrent

x2

|

7/28/2008 7:37 PM

My son gets his Macbook in two days. He presently has yahoo mail (the free version), and he wants to use the Mac's mail program. He says he must purchase yahoo's mail plus to have the Mac's mail software work with yahoo.

Is that true? Anyone use Mac's Mail with yahoo and don't have to pay?

|

7/28/2008 8:08 PM

I use my yahoo email with my Mac and have zero problems. Maybe I don't understand what your sayin?

|

7/28/2008 8:12 PM

Scotty wrote:

I use my yahoo email with my Mac and have zero problems. Maybe I don't understand what your sayin?

I believe my son wants to point yahoo at the email software that comes with the Mac. I guess it's called, simply, "mail". But, according to him, he can't do that with the free version of yahoo.

|

7/28/2008 8:23 PM

Once a week or so I almost break down and buy a Macbook Pro. Someday soon it is going to happen.

|

7/28/2008 8:26 PM

We got my son's with a free iPod. Apple's having a rebate to give away iPod's with their Mac's. I'm almost tempted to buy the 24" iMac. That's one bad ass computer. But, it doesn't run the engineering software I use.

|

7/28/2008 8:32 PM

ProMed wrote:

Once a week or so I almost break down and buy a Macbook Pro. Someday soon it is going to happen.

Do it! You'll love it. Im siting on my couch right now watching baseball on tv. lol

|