Ed Hochuli

Scotty
Posts
4139
Joined
3/21/2008
Location
USA
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 9:02pm
I sent him an email yesterday and he actually responded to me. I thought that was pretty cool of him! I actually feel bad for the guy, I hope that game didn't ruin his NFL career. The guy is and has been an outstanding Ref for the NFL.


|
BMSOB
Posts
1191
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
PN
9/16/2008 12:44pm
How do you compensate a team for a loss?
BDOG
Posts
1327
Joined
1/10/2008
Location
Danville, VA, USA
9/16/2008 12:53pm
Everybody fucks up.
kcadrenalin
Posts
1427
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Turney, MO, USA
9/16/2008 1:07pm
Coaches always say don't put yourself in a position where a bad call can determine the outcome of the game.
It's part of the game but if it was my team I'd be pissed too.
As far as Hochuli, the guy is one of the best refs in the NFL so his job is probably safe.

The Shop

jonjon714
Posts
5916
Joined
4/29/2008
Location
Virginia Beach, VA, USA
9/16/2008 1:07pm
The question is...what kind of email did you send? Was it I understand and we are all human kind, or, hope your infested with the fleas of 1000 camels kind?
Scotty
Posts
4139
Joined
3/21/2008
Location
USA
9/16/2008 1:37pm
jonjon714 wrote:
The question is...what kind of email did you send? Was it I understand and we are all human kind, or, hope your infested with the fleas...
The question is...what kind of email did you send? Was it I understand and we are all human kind, or, hope your infested with the fleas of 1000 camels kind?
I sent him a nice email and told him basically how disappointed I was with the call, but I think he is one of the best refs in the NFL( Himself and Mike Carry are my favorites)
rallendude
Posts
2203
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
Adger, AL, USA
9/16/2008 1:42pm
People make mistakes. He blew the whistle when he shouldn't have. The rules are what's screwed up. That play should have been reviewed in replay and the ball given to the Chargers. The rules would not allow that. The rules are not his fault. He screwed up by blowing the whistle. He should be warned or whatever they do for messing up, but the circumstance was made much worse due to the rules about not allowing change of posession once the whistle blew.

To my knowledge he's been one of the best referees in the sport for a long time. I read where Jerry Jones said he wasn't surprised about it being Hochuli. I found that odd. I guess he either knows a lot more that we do or maybe he's got something against him. I saw a lot of interview and feedback from coaches. I'm not sure coaches are where the direction/correction should come from for a ref.
9/16/2008 1:44pm
On the NFL Network they made the point that you can't have a change of possession after the whistle is blown because the players are supposed to stop playing at the whistle. So, if the whistle blows, your team stops, the other team keeps going and gets the ball, why should you lose the ball?
Dean
Posts
6089
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Goldsboro, NC, USA
9/16/2008 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2008 1:46pm
The NFL is a quarterback driven league. The ref's have been conditioned for so long to protect those guys that a quick whistle now and then is to be expected.
jonjon714
Posts
5916
Joined
4/29/2008
Location
Virginia Beach, VA, USA
9/16/2008 1:52pm
Scotty wrote:
I sent him a nice email and told him basically how disappointed I was with the call, but I think he is one of the best...
I sent him a nice email and told him basically how disappointed I was with the call, but I think he is one of the best refs in the NFL( Himself and Mike Carry are my favorites)
Cool..guy's had balls of steel to go over to Norv Turner and admit he blew the call...much respect.
rallendude
Posts
2203
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
Adger, AL, USA
9/16/2008 2:02pm
I'm speaking from memory here but, I believe the whistle blew when the ball hit the ground and less than a second or two later, the Chargers had picked it up. The players were still playing then.

It was clearly a blown call. Everyone then and now knows that the Chargers should have had the ball. Give the officiating crew (including those upstairs) the ability to give them the ball.
9/16/2008 2:09pm
rallendude wrote:
I'm speaking from memory here but, I believe the whistle blew when the ball hit the ground and less than a second or two later, the...
I'm speaking from memory here but, I believe the whistle blew when the ball hit the ground and less than a second or two later, the Chargers had picked it up. The players were still playing then.

It was clearly a blown call. Everyone then and now knows that the Chargers should have had the ball. Give the officiating crew (including those upstairs) the ability to give them the ball.
Even if one player stopped after the whistle blew, that team didn't have an equal shot at the ball, therefore the easiest way to keep it straight is to blow the ball dead with the whistle 100% of the time.
jonjon714
Posts
5916
Joined
4/29/2008
Location
Virginia Beach, VA, USA
9/16/2008 2:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 8:28pm
On the NFL Network they made the point that you can't have a change of possession after the whistle is blown because the players are supposed...
On the NFL Network they made the point that you can't have a change of possession after the whistle is blown because the players are supposed to stop playing at the whistle. So, if the whistle blows, your team stops, the other team keeps going and gets the ball, why should you lose the ball?
Thank you Mr. Wizard for schooling us on the rules...Don't know about you cats but I feel much better now...

Watch it, then comment..Cutler's fumble is the call everyone is referring too. He blew it and admitted he blew it.



9/16/2008 2:15pm
On the NFL Network they made the point that you can't have a change of possession after the whistle is blown because the players are supposed...
On the NFL Network they made the point that you can't have a change of possession after the whistle is blown because the players are supposed to stop playing at the whistle. So, if the whistle blows, your team stops, the other team keeps going and gets the ball, why should you lose the ball?
jonjon714 wrote:
Thank you Mr. Wizard for schooling us on the rules...Don't know about you cats but I feel much better now... Watch it, then comment..Cutler's fumble is...
Thank you Mr. Wizard for schooling us on the rules...Don't know about you cats but I feel much better now...

Watch it, then comment..Cutler's fumble is the call everyone is referring too. He blew it and admitted he blew it.



Yes, he blew the call, but once the whistle is blown (blown call or not) play is supposed to stop. Therefore, any change of possession cannot count because some players stopped playing upon hearing the whistle. What the NFL can't have is people playing past the whistle all the time. It can cause a lot of problems and injuries.
pt
Posts
270
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
9/16/2008 2:29pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 8:28pm
Not to mention the earlier blown call of the strip and (no) fumble on Chambers.
They could not review it because the equipment on the field was not working.
crowe176
Posts
6613
Joined
9/8/2006
Location
Spring Lake, MI, USA
9/16/2008 2:36pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 8:28pm
It must be hard to make a mistake like that. Imagine if it had been a playoff game. Shit happens, even to EXCELLENT, classy refs like Hochuli.

Imagine being that jackoff Cubs fan that caught the foul ball.. Fuck, you may as well move to Canada.

Some people take shit way too seriously. Get a life.
Mod Killer
Posts
1827
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Worldwide, CA, USA
9/16/2008 3:44pm
THE FACT IS......the ball (whether a fumble or pass) went BACKWARDS!!!!

it never should have been a question of whether it was a fumble or not. that is where i see Hocholli screwing up the most.

and dont give me that shit about not leaving it up to the refs, if you want close, hard fought, entertaining games, it sometimes is going to come down to the wire.

the guy fucked up, he knew it immediately, and is taking more shit for admitting/apologizing than for the actual mistake, which i think is a total shame.

the guy fucked up and said sorry. what more do people want? he's still one of the best.

the NFL is still denying that Brady fumbled, a simple admittance, and a second astrix next to the Patriots first Superbowl win and I'd be estatic.

Post a reply to: Ed Hochuli

The Latest