Defense Spending Too High?

vet323
Posts
3640
Joined
7/31/2010
Location
Lead, SD, USA
Edited Date/Time 3/12/2014 7:13am
Did you know that under President Obama's proposed budget, interest payments on our debt would exceed defense spending within 5 years?
|
kongols
Posts
24230
Joined
9/22/2009
Location
Riga, LV
3/6/2014 7:24am
What`s so shocking in that? Do you want to spend more so defense budget is always higher than interests on 17 trillion debt?
vet323
Posts
3640
Joined
7/31/2010
Location
Lead, SD, USA
3/6/2014 8:44am
kongols wrote:
What`s so shocking in that? Do you want to spend more so defense budget is always higher than interests on 17 trillion debt?
No,. We need to spend less on everything, just targeting defense is silly as it accounts for less than 4.5% of our GDP. Entitlements are BY FAR the biggest expenditure and cutting them will make way more difference. Making a 5% cut in defense and spending more everywhere else is stupid.
Titan1
Posts
9477
Joined
2/3/2010
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
3/6/2014 10:31am
kongols wrote:
What`s so shocking in that? Do you want to spend more so defense budget is always higher than interests on 17 trillion debt?
vet323 wrote:
No,. We need to spend less on everything, just targeting defense is silly as it accounts for less than 4.5% of our GDP. Entitlements are BY...
No,. We need to spend less on everything, just targeting defense is silly as it accounts for less than 4.5% of our GDP. Entitlements are BY FAR the biggest expenditure and cutting them will make way more difference. Making a 5% cut in defense and spending more everywhere else is stupid.
that is exactly what is going to happen...they will cut military spending...and then spend more on other crap. (In that scenario, I'd rather they just continue spending it on military...)

Entitlements are drowning our country...

The Shop

kongols
Posts
24230
Joined
9/22/2009
Location
Riga, LV
3/6/2014 11:54am
It`s a big business.
3/6/2014 12:29pm
A conversation between neo-cons and liberals regarding defense spending; this shit makes my head hurt.


Our military doesn't need to be half as big as it currently is. The military industrial complex has ruined this country and its international reputation.
vet323
Posts
3640
Joined
7/31/2010
Location
Lead, SD, USA
3/6/2014 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2014 12:36pm
TripleFive wrote:
A conversation between neo-cons and liberals regarding defense spending; this shit makes my head hurt. Our military doesn't need to be half as big as it...
A conversation between neo-cons and liberals regarding defense spending; this shit makes my head hurt.


Our military doesn't need to be half as big as it currently is. The military industrial complex has ruined this country and its international reputation.
I don't think you know what a "neo-con" is.

This conversation is more about the spending in general than just defense spending.
Shiftfaced
Posts
859
Joined
12/15/2008
Location
Ruby Ridge, ID, USA
3/6/2014 2:05pm
I miss my days in the military. I learned EARLY to make friends with those dudes in Supply. At the end of the fiscal year, they could not throw stuff out the door fast enough. I saw more shit buried in the ground than I could shake a stick at.

The LAST THING those guys wanted to do was have ANYTHING left from last year. That would mean that they had over-budgeted this year, meaning next years budget would be smaller. That simply would not happen.

This year, the shelves will be EMPTY at the end of the year, and next years budget will be bigger.

It had always worked in the past, and it will always work in the future. Everybody in the military knew they had an open checkbook.
Shiftfaced
Posts
859
Joined
12/15/2008
Location
Ruby Ridge, ID, USA
3/6/2014 2:11pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2014 2:14pm
The absolute best flight I was ever on was up in Alaska. We were simply hauling shit between Anchorage and Fairbanks. On our last flight back from Fairbanks back to Anchorage, our plane was empty, so the pilot wanted to have some fun. He got authorization to fly IFR "low-level" over to McKinley. After we got tired of chasing moose, we circled around the mountain. The pilot found a nice glacier canyon, dipped down into it, and then banked hard into a 360. At the culmination of the 360, he pointed the plane down the glacier, and cut the throttles so that we were basically falling out of the sky at the same angle of the mountain. This was back around 1990, and we did not have cameras like we do now. I would have LOVED to get a video of that.

Somebody on the flight deck said "Wow! How much would you pay for this flight?", and the navigator said "Well, the taxpayers are on the hook for about 3 grand an hour...".

Good times......
MR. X
Posts
6913
Joined
6/24/2010
Location
North Tonawanda, NY, USA
3/6/2014 2:22pm
I always thought it was weird when my brother was in a hole for weeks on end and all he wanted us to send him was new socks (and peanut butter cookies). I just thought the marines should supply socks.
The Rock
Posts
8758
Joined
3/21/2007
Location
HAIKU, HI, USA
3/7/2014 9:11am
Partisan bickering plays into the hands of the people pulling the strings. I love Republicans Democrats Liberals Conservatives Libertarians etc and do my best (not always 100 percent successful) to avoid getting into us and them squabbles.

That having been said I've had enough war, I've had enough borrowing money to pay for wars and I've yet to have anyone tell me exactly what the benefits were from Iraq and Afghanistan. Cheap oil....no. Improved economy....no. High military divorce rates....yes. Epic veteran suicide rate....yes.

Not saying there aren't dividends but in a dollars/lives/limbs versus return analysis at this point in time I feel we didn't get our money's worth but an hoping someone can show me the light. Think how potent, how well rested and well budgeted our military would be now if not for the multi deployments our warriors had to endure.
Mr. G
Posts
4225
Joined
12/23/2009
Location
Riverside, CA, USA
3/7/2014 9:29am
I was and am as a rule for helping people become free. America has done more in this wise than any country on the face of the earth but in terms of the last two it was a total waste. That part of the world needs to evolve a bit before it can handle something like freedom. They just aren't up to it.
the_wood109
Posts
3008
Joined
7/6/2008
Location
Edgewater, FL, USA
3/7/2014 5:42pm Edited Date/Time 3/7/2014 5:44pm
The answer to the "defense spending too high" question is yes.



With that said, it's been pointed out that we aren't actually reducing debt. We're just nickel and diming various programs to put the funds in others for political purposes. We aren't actually correcting any issues by reducing military spending.
vetmxr
Posts
1113
Joined
1/10/2009
Location
USA
3/7/2014 8:59pm
The Rock wrote:
Partisan bickering plays into the hands of the people pulling the strings. I love Republicans Democrats Liberals Conservatives Libertarians etc and do my best (not always...
Partisan bickering plays into the hands of the people pulling the strings. I love Republicans Democrats Liberals Conservatives Libertarians etc and do my best (not always 100 percent successful) to avoid getting into us and them squabbles.

That having been said I've had enough war, I've had enough borrowing money to pay for wars and I've yet to have anyone tell me exactly what the benefits were from Iraq and Afghanistan. Cheap oil....no. Improved economy....no. High military divorce rates....yes. Epic veteran suicide rate....yes.

Not saying there aren't dividends but in a dollars/lives/limbs versus return analysis at this point in time I feel we didn't get our money's worth but an hoping someone can show me the light. Think how potent, how well rested and well budgeted our military would be now if not for the multi deployments our warriors had to endure.
This may be small minded for sure, but I believe we should mind our own business, but if we go to war with a country or whatever, (for a good reason and not made up bullshit to fill pockets,) then we should fight like its the end of the world and if and when we win, the country that is the loser is now owned by the winner. If we did this, I'll bet a lot less countries would fuck with us. We are nothing but a checkbook and a big, stupid giant.

Why on earth would you rebuild a place better than before after destroying them. Mind our own business, and if someone feels the need to get aggressive with the largest military in the world, they should be quickly and efficiently totally wiped off the face of this earth, all the while making sure that the rest of the world is watching and learning. This may seem extreme, but I'll bet it would curb all this posturing from piss ant countries, and maybe even cause people to get along because the price of needless aggression would be to high. Believe me I'm not for aggression, just self defense.

If I go and pick a fight with a trained killer, that is bigger than I am, I shouldn't be surprised when I quickly find myself behind the eight ball of a serious ass kicking that won't soon be forgotten.
AZ35
Posts
2984
Joined
6/1/2008
Location
Peoria, AZ, USA
Fantasy
3/7/2014 9:24pm
The Rock wrote:
Partisan bickering plays into the hands of the people pulling the strings. I love Republicans Democrats Liberals Conservatives Libertarians etc and do my best (not always...
Partisan bickering plays into the hands of the people pulling the strings. I love Republicans Democrats Liberals Conservatives Libertarians etc and do my best (not always 100 percent successful) to avoid getting into us and them squabbles.

That having been said I've had enough war, I've had enough borrowing money to pay for wars and I've yet to have anyone tell me exactly what the benefits were from Iraq and Afghanistan. Cheap oil....no. Improved economy....no. High military divorce rates....yes. Epic veteran suicide rate....yes.

Not saying there aren't dividends but in a dollars/lives/limbs versus return analysis at this point in time I feel we didn't get our money's worth but an hoping someone can show me the light. Think how potent, how well rested and well budgeted our military would be now if not for the multi deployments our warriors had to endure.
vetmxr wrote:
This may be small minded for sure, but I believe we should mind our own business, but if we go to war with a country or...
This may be small minded for sure, but I believe we should mind our own business, but if we go to war with a country or whatever, (for a good reason and not made up bullshit to fill pockets,) then we should fight like its the end of the world and if and when we win, the country that is the loser is now owned by the winner. If we did this, I'll bet a lot less countries would fuck with us. We are nothing but a checkbook and a big, stupid giant.

Why on earth would you rebuild a place better than before after destroying them. Mind our own business, and if someone feels the need to get aggressive with the largest military in the world, they should be quickly and efficiently totally wiped off the face of this earth, all the while making sure that the rest of the world is watching and learning. This may seem extreme, but I'll bet it would curb all this posturing from piss ant countries, and maybe even cause people to get along because the price of needless aggression would be to high. Believe me I'm not for aggression, just self defense.

If I go and pick a fight with a trained killer, that is bigger than I am, I shouldn't be surprised when I quickly find myself behind the eight ball of a serious ass kicking that won't soon be forgotten.
I guess the USA was voted to be the global referee back in about 1946, and we accepted the job?

But back then we failed to read the "fine print", the part about the "job" that said it was a non-paying position?

That required a great deal of attention, commitment, and money. For free. Goodwill.

Looks like we should have resigned from that position a few decades ago, and let neighbors be neighbors and fight their own battles. Mind your (our) own business.

No wonder so many Countries hate the USA, we are that nosy neighbor who has to try to control everything. Even if it is not our business.
the_wood109
Posts
3008
Joined
7/6/2008
Location
Edgewater, FL, USA
3/7/2014 9:29pm Edited Date/Time 3/7/2014 9:33pm
The Rock wrote:
Partisan bickering plays into the hands of the people pulling the strings. I love Republicans Democrats Liberals Conservatives Libertarians etc and do my best (not always...
Partisan bickering plays into the hands of the people pulling the strings. I love Republicans Democrats Liberals Conservatives Libertarians etc and do my best (not always 100 percent successful) to avoid getting into us and them squabbles.

That having been said I've had enough war, I've had enough borrowing money to pay for wars and I've yet to have anyone tell me exactly what the benefits were from Iraq and Afghanistan. Cheap oil....no. Improved economy....no. High military divorce rates....yes. Epic veteran suicide rate....yes.

Not saying there aren't dividends but in a dollars/lives/limbs versus return analysis at this point in time I feel we didn't get our money's worth but an hoping someone can show me the light. Think how potent, how well rested and well budgeted our military would be now if not for the multi deployments our warriors had to endure.
vetmxr wrote:
This may be small minded for sure, but I believe we should mind our own business, but if we go to war with a country or...
This may be small minded for sure, but I believe we should mind our own business, but if we go to war with a country or whatever, (for a good reason and not made up bullshit to fill pockets,) then we should fight like its the end of the world and if and when we win, the country that is the loser is now owned by the winner. If we did this, I'll bet a lot less countries would fuck with us. We are nothing but a checkbook and a big, stupid giant.

Why on earth would you rebuild a place better than before after destroying them. Mind our own business, and if someone feels the need to get aggressive with the largest military in the world, they should be quickly and efficiently totally wiped off the face of this earth, all the while making sure that the rest of the world is watching and learning. This may seem extreme, but I'll bet it would curb all this posturing from piss ant countries, and maybe even cause people to get along because the price of needless aggression would be to high. Believe me I'm not for aggression, just self defense.

If I go and pick a fight with a trained killer, that is bigger than I am, I shouldn't be surprised when I quickly find myself behind the eight ball of a serious ass kicking that won't soon be forgotten.
This may be small minded for sure, but I believe we should mind our own business, but if we go to war with a country or whatever, (for a good reason and not made up bullshit to fill pockets,) then we should fight like its the end of the world and if and when we win, the country that is the loser is now owned by the winner.

That is only if the "country" fights by traditional military means. If their uniformed soldiers meet our uniformed soldiers on a battlefield, they lose. They know that.

If we did this, I'll bet a lot less countries would fuck with us. We are nothing but a checkbook and a big, stupid giant.


We have done this many times. The smart ones (countries, groups) use unconventional forces against our conventional forces. The general populations plays both sides for the simple goal of survival.

Iraq 1991 was the last army that tried to play by our rules.(How did that work out for them?) Even before the first Iraq war, the Vietnamese knew how to handle a larger, technically superior enemy (while never winning a single battle.) Afgans can claim victory over the Soviets and Americans because they don't fight the way that Armies are traditionally supposed to.

We are nothing but a checkbook and a big, stupid giant.

True.

Why on earth would you rebuild a place better than before after destroying them. Mind our own business, and if someone feels the need to get aggressive with the largest military in the world, they should be quickly and efficiently totally wiped off the face of this earth, all the while making sure that the rest of the world is watching and learning.

Perhaps you care about unifying humanity? Understanding? Compassion? The objective in these operations should be to destroy the repression. Not destroy another human's existence and make them live in their own shit as a punishment.

This may seem extreme, but I'll bet it would curb all this posturing from piss ant countries, and maybe even cause people to get along because the price of needless aggression would be to high. Believe me I'm not for aggression, just self defense.

It just seems stupid. It's stupid in the fact that our own government doesn't realize what a shitty idea this is. Make no mistake, this is imperialism. This is not defense, you're talking about taking over populations by force. You are talking about "beating sense into them." It doesn't work, you can see the results all throughout history. So your definition of defense is "causing people to get along because the price of aggression would be high." You're talking about "beating a motherfucker into submission."
vetmxr
Posts
1113
Joined
1/10/2009
Location
USA
3/7/2014 10:06pm
The Rock wrote:
Partisan bickering plays into the hands of the people pulling the strings. I love Republicans Democrats Liberals Conservatives Libertarians etc and do my best (not always...
Partisan bickering plays into the hands of the people pulling the strings. I love Republicans Democrats Liberals Conservatives Libertarians etc and do my best (not always 100 percent successful) to avoid getting into us and them squabbles.

That having been said I've had enough war, I've had enough borrowing money to pay for wars and I've yet to have anyone tell me exactly what the benefits were from Iraq and Afghanistan. Cheap oil....no. Improved economy....no. High military divorce rates....yes. Epic veteran suicide rate....yes.

Not saying there aren't dividends but in a dollars/lives/limbs versus return analysis at this point in time I feel we didn't get our money's worth but an hoping someone can show me the light. Think how potent, how well rested and well budgeted our military would be now if not for the multi deployments our warriors had to endure.
vetmxr wrote:
This may be small minded for sure, but I believe we should mind our own business, but if we go to war with a country or...
This may be small minded for sure, but I believe we should mind our own business, but if we go to war with a country or whatever, (for a good reason and not made up bullshit to fill pockets,) then we should fight like its the end of the world and if and when we win, the country that is the loser is now owned by the winner. If we did this, I'll bet a lot less countries would fuck with us. We are nothing but a checkbook and a big, stupid giant.

Why on earth would you rebuild a place better than before after destroying them. Mind our own business, and if someone feels the need to get aggressive with the largest military in the world, they should be quickly and efficiently totally wiped off the face of this earth, all the while making sure that the rest of the world is watching and learning. This may seem extreme, but I'll bet it would curb all this posturing from piss ant countries, and maybe even cause people to get along because the price of needless aggression would be to high. Believe me I'm not for aggression, just self defense.

If I go and pick a fight with a trained killer, that is bigger than I am, I shouldn't be surprised when I quickly find myself behind the eight ball of a serious ass kicking that won't soon be forgotten.
[b]This may be small minded for sure, but I believe we should mind our own business, but if we go to war with a country or...
This may be small minded for sure, but I believe we should mind our own business, but if we go to war with a country or whatever, (for a good reason and not made up bullshit to fill pockets,) then we should fight like its the end of the world and if and when we win, the country that is the loser is now owned by the winner.

That is only if the "country" fights by traditional military means. If their uniformed soldiers meet our uniformed soldiers on a battlefield, they lose. They know that.

If we did this, I'll bet a lot less countries would fuck with us. We are nothing but a checkbook and a big, stupid giant.


We have done this many times. The smart ones (countries, groups) use unconventional forces against our conventional forces. The general populations plays both sides for the simple goal of survival.

Iraq 1991 was the last army that tried to play by our rules.(How did that work out for them?) Even before the first Iraq war, the Vietnamese knew how to handle a larger, technically superior enemy (while never winning a single battle.) Afgans can claim victory over the Soviets and Americans because they don't fight the way that Armies are traditionally supposed to.

We are nothing but a checkbook and a big, stupid giant.

True.

Why on earth would you rebuild a place better than before after destroying them. Mind our own business, and if someone feels the need to get aggressive with the largest military in the world, they should be quickly and efficiently totally wiped off the face of this earth, all the while making sure that the rest of the world is watching and learning.

Perhaps you care about unifying humanity? Understanding? Compassion? The objective in these operations should be to destroy the repression. Not destroy another human's existence and make them live in their own shit as a punishment.

This may seem extreme, but I'll bet it would curb all this posturing from piss ant countries, and maybe even cause people to get along because the price of needless aggression would be to high. Believe me I'm not for aggression, just self defense.

It just seems stupid. It's stupid in the fact that our own government doesn't realize what a shitty idea this is. Make no mistake, this is imperialism. This is not defense, you're talking about taking over populations by force. You are talking about "beating sense into them." It doesn't work, you can see the results all throughout history. So your definition of defense is "causing people to get along because the price of aggression would be high." You're talking about "beating a motherfucker into submission."
Nah, I'm more of a live and let live type of guy. Mostly a guy who knows its not right to pick on a little guy just because you can, but let this little guy come at you with aggression and its time to hammer him. And the only time I would try beating a guy into submission is if he first came at myself or my family. I'm no expert though.
the_wood109
Posts
3008
Joined
7/6/2008
Location
Edgewater, FL, USA
3/7/2014 10:15pm
Except you're missing the entire point. We aren't talking about a schoolyard brawl that is solved with one kid getting punched in the face, then running home to mommy. You're view might be good advice for your kid in pre-school, but it doesn't mean anything for military budget and doctrine.
The Rock
Posts
8758
Joined
3/21/2007
Location
HAIKU, HI, USA
3/7/2014 10:58pm
Except you're missing the entire point. We aren't talking about a schoolyard brawl that is solved with one kid getting punched in the face, then running...
Except you're missing the entire point. We aren't talking about a schoolyard brawl that is solved with one kid getting punched in the face, then running home to mommy. You're view might be good advice for your kid in pre-school, but it doesn't mean anything for military budget and doctrine.
If only the world was so black and white.
3/8/2014 12:40pm
Has one countries military been responsible for as much death as the US military?
vet323
Posts
3640
Joined
7/31/2010
Location
Lead, SD, USA
3/8/2014 2:50pm
TripleFive wrote:
Has one countries military been responsible for as much death as the US military?
I can think of at least two.
FastEddy
Posts
14815
Joined
8/3/2008
Location
💀, FL, USA
3/8/2014 2:52pm Edited Date/Time 3/8/2014 2:52pm
TripleFive wrote:
Has one countries military been responsible for as much death as the US military?
vet323 wrote:
I can think of at least two.
I was thinking.... Mao (China),Stalin & Hitler
3/8/2014 3:48pm Edited Date/Time 3/8/2014 4:02pm
Mr. G wrote:
I was and am as a rule for helping people become free. America has done more in this wise than any country on the face of...
I was and am as a rule for helping people become free. America has done more in this wise than any country on the face of the earth but in terms of the last two it was a total waste. That part of the world needs to evolve a bit before it can handle something like freedom. They just aren't up to it.
^^ x1000

In Iraq, America expected Iraqi cooperation.

They got it from the Japanese when they helped rebuild their political infrastructure.
They got it from the Germans when they helped rebuild their political infrastructure.

The Bush administration failed to take into account the fact that unlike members of the civilized world, the subhumans over there would rather blow themselves up than build a new life for their countrymen.

At least America has learned from it's mistakes. It could save lives in Syria but would be blamed for everything that goes wrong starting from the first day of it's involvement.
Barrett57
Posts
2270
Joined
8/31/2010
Location
GB
3/8/2014 4:37pm
FastEddy wrote:
I was thinking.... Mao (China),Stalin & Hitler
And Britain. We were fucking terrible.
rucka356
Posts
1064
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Knoxville, TN, USA
3/8/2014 5:44pm
If it makes you feel any better, I think we just gave a $1B to Ukraine...... Do you think they will have China drop ship the check or will it come to the US first, then to Ukraine? It's unfreaking believable!!! We shouldn't be giving away shit, we should be the ones taking handouts because we are so far in debt!!
3/9/2014 11:05am
We shouldn't be giving away shit, we should be the ones taking handouts because we are so far in debt!!

Don't even worry about it, Obama has a plan. You guys are going to spend your way out of debt. I'm glad all that hopey changey stuff is working out so well. :-p
motoracer633
Posts
427
Joined
11/14/2011
Location
North Charleston, SC, USA
3/9/2014 11:16am
Good conversation by all! What if we hadn't written those fake IOU's to the entitlements?
3/10/2014 10:48am
Yes, the IOUs... now that's comedy.

Similar to the IOUs in Dumb & Dumber: "That’s as good as money, sir. Those are IOU’s. Go ahead and add it up, every cent’s accounted for. Look, see this? That’s a car. 275 thou. Might wanna hang onto that one."


America was an experiment. Trust me, I'm still rooting for you guys, just like I am for James Stewart. Unfortunately the USA is at the same point in its existence as JS7 is in his motocross career, and both have about the same kind of luck - previously awesome but not such good luck lately.


Remember in April of last year, all the headlines about the US paying down the national debt by a whopping $35 billion? WOOOO HOOOOO!!

That would be great news were it not for the fact that the US is going in debt 2.7 billion per day.

So last April you guys paid off 12 days of debt. Congratulations.

:-)
3/10/2014 10:50am
"Democracy can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury.

After that, the majority votes for the candidate promising the most benefits and as a result the democracy collapses." (Alexander Tytler)



Obama isn't necessarily a bad man, he just happens to be the guy at the helm when your democracy collapses. It can't be helped, it's just a flaw of "democracy". America was an experiment.

Conservative principles of self-reliance and small government held off the collapse early on but it was only a matter of time. And this is not a Democrat vs. Republican thing - Bush squandered so much more money than any Democratic ever did (until Obama).

Your country will probably have a Democratic president from now on until it collapses, whenever that happens. The masses have spoken, and they know what they want: more free stuff.

Post a reply to: Defense Spending Too High?

The Latest