C6 corvette

Related:
Create New Tag

1/28/2021 4:36 PM

Hey guys!
I’m looking into picking up a c6 as a weekend car and looking for a little advice, I’m going to attempt to make around 550-600 to the wheels. I’ll either be getting a base model or a grand sport.

First off- what should I look for?
2nd- is the LS3 really that much better than the ls2?

What mods should I be looking at for 500-600??

|

1/28/2021 5:12 PM

In. Love those years too.

|

1/29/2021 6:49 AM

I have a 98 convertible, so much fun. I really like the C6 Grand Sports, love the widebody look.
Tried to upload a pic, but it won't let me.

|

1/29/2021 8:38 AM

5.9_bro wrote:

Hey guys!
I’m looking into picking up a c6 as a weekend car and looking for a little advice, I’m going to attempt to make around 550-600 to the wheels. I’ll either be getting a base model or a grand sport.

I am looking at C6 Vette to keep my C4 company.. and while there are a few things to look out for they are generally awesome cars.. apparently the torque tube (driveshaft) can get out of balance wreaking havoc on car,,
Look at later model C6's for sure,

|

1/29/2021 9:33 AM

My buddy has a C6 Grand Sport. Pretty sure all he did were headS and cam and made loads of power.

|

1/29/2021 9:36 AM

5.9_bro wrote:

Hey guys!

rosebud441 wrote:

I am looking at C6 Vette to keep my C4 company.. and while there are a few things to look out for they are generally awesome cars.. apparently the torque tube (driveshaft) can get out of balance wreaking havoc on car,,
Look at later model C6's for sure,

The driveshaft and harmonic ballancer are what I’ve read are the most common issues

|

1/29/2021 9:36 AM

crowe660 wrote:

My buddy has a C6 Grand Sport. Pretty sure all he did were headS and cam and made loads of power.

Do you know if he’s got an LS3 or LS2?
I read the LS3 has a little more power... I’ll do heads a cam, good tune and maybe some spray

|

1/29/2021 9:59 AM

crowe660 wrote:

5.9_bro wrote:

I read the LS3 has a little more power... I’ll do heads a cam, good tune and maybe some spray

Was the Z06 a supercharged LS3? I thought he said it was basically the same as the Z06 but less HP. Again, I don’t know anything about Vettes, but after he did head and cams, it was an entirely different car.

|

1/29/2021 10:02 AM

crowe660 wrote:

5.9_bro wrote:

crowe660 wrote:

Was the Z06 a supercharged LS3? I thought he said it was basically the same as the Z06 but less HP. Again, I don’t know anything about Vettes, but after he did head and cams, it was an entirely different car.

Pretty sure the ZR1 was the supercharged, the Z06 had the aluminum frame... ZR1s are way to expensive. It’s most likely a ls3.... a supercharger might be the way to go now that you’ve mentioned that

|

1/29/2021 10:03 AM

Someone in our neighborhood bought a new corvette. Looks to be top model. Sounds very throaty and crisp.

Pretty much my dream car. (I’m poor)!

|

1/29/2021 10:04 AM

5.9_bro wrote:

crowe660 wrote:

5.9_bro wrote:

Pretty sure the ZR1 was the supercharged, the Z06 had the aluminum frame... ZR1s are way to expensive. It’s most likely a ls3.... a supercharger might be the way to go now that you’ve mentioned that

Yea, I just looked it up, and I’m even more confused lol.

|

1/29/2021 10:15 AM

TXDirt wrote:

Someone in our neighborhood bought a new corvette. Looks to be top model. Sounds very throaty and crisp.

The C8s are pretty inexpensive, you can get a 2lt for like 68,000 then rebates. So around 60

|

1/29/2021 10:15 AM

crowe660 wrote:

5.9_bro wrote:

crowe660 wrote:

Yea, I just looked it up, and I’m even more confused lol.

Yeah I figure it’ll be easier to get a base or a grand sport to build

|

1/29/2021 2:24 PM

Photo
|

1/29/2021 2:55 PM

Get a c6 and put a supercharger on it.....amazing

|

1/29/2021 4:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2021 4:52 PM

TXDirt wrote:

5.9_bro wrote:

The C8s are pretty inexpensive, you can get a 2lt for like 68,000 then rebates. So around 60

Are you sure that there are rebates on a C8? They can't meet demand right now, so I can't imagine them needing rebates. In fact, if you could find one that isn't already allocated to a customer I'd be surprised if you could get one for less than $8-10K over MSRP!!!!

Like the looks of the C5 and C6 a lot, but they are just not made for a guy my size. I squeezed behind the wheel of my best friend's 93 ZR1 a couple of times and just barely fit, and even though the newer Corvettes put that one to shame it was one hell of a thrilling joyride!

He had a 67 Roadster 427, too, and that was even more fun. It wasn't as fast as the ZR1, but it made a LOT of noise and had a tiny wheelbase so you always had to be on your toes. I couldn't drive that one with my left shoe on, always had to take it off to have just enough space to shift.

|

1/29/2021 5:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2021 5:42 PM

Just make sure you can drive all those horsepower! This is my stock engine (377 WHP) against a Vette on a 150 shot. First lesson is always free.

|

Lover. Fighter. Wild Bull Rider.

1/29/2021 10:06 PM

crowe660 wrote:

5.9_bro wrote:

LS2 are cathedral port, LS3 is rectangular port. While you can make big power with the former, the rec port heads will flow really big numbers without any port work needed. Add a healthy cam, valve springs, a good dyno tune and possibly exhaust and you will be putting out some very impressive numbers with a LS3. There are other advantages like the 6.2 vs 6.0 displacement, the better intake manifold and others.

The Z06 is a whole different animal. 7.0 dry sump engine with titanium rods, bigger brakes, wheels, wider body to cover those wheels, special balsa wood/carbon fiber floor pan, carbon fiber front fenders, etc, etc.

ZR1 makes the claim of alpha male in a jungle of performance cars in any given year. If you have to ask, it's probably not what you're looking for.

Use caution with nitrous, blower, turbo, etc. The ring gap is set tight on today's engines for better emissions and less oil burning. However, when using unnatural aspiration, it's not that difficult to get enough heat where the rings expand, the ends come together, and the top of the piston peels off. End of engine, and someone will invariably tell you it's because you needed (insert aftermarket short block components here).

|

1/30/2021 8:43 AM

Autos might be faster these days, but bangin’ gears sure is more fun!

|

1/30/2021 9:04 AM

crowe660 wrote:

5.9_bro wrote:

Matt Fisher wrote:

LS2 are cathedral port, LS3 is rectangular port. While you can make big power with the former, the rec port heads will flow really big numbers without any port work needed. Add a healthy cam, valve springs, a good dyno tune and possibly exhaust and you will be putting out some very impressive numbers with a LS3. There are other advantages like the 6.2 vs 6.0 displacement, the better intake manifold and others.

The Z06 is a whole different animal. 7.0 dry sump engine with titanium rods, bigger brakes, wheels, wider body to cover those wheels, special balsa wood/carbon fiber floor pan, carbon fiber front fenders, etc, etc.

ZR1 makes the claim of alpha male in a jungle of performance cars in any given year. If you have to ask, it's probably not what you're looking for.

Use caution with nitrous, blower, turbo, etc. The ring gap is set tight on today's engines for better emissions and less oil burning. However, when using unnatural aspiration, it's not that difficult to get enough heat where the rings expand, the ends come together, and the top of the piston peels off. End of engine, and someone will invariably tell you it's because you needed (insert aftermarket short block components here).

My eventual plan was to pull the motor and do a full build with forged internals etc, then run some spray and possibly a supercharger down the line.

My plan if I got an Ls2 was to switch the the Ls3 ported heads with springs, push rods, lifters and an aggressive cam and a high volume oil pump, then headers and an exhaust. And run a little spray on that untill it goes boom.

The ZR1 is the factory superchargerd model correct? I’m way to broke for that and the Zo6 route I don’t see any real benefits to justify the cost difference.

|

1/30/2021 10:37 AM

5.9_bro wrote:

My eventual plan was to pull the motor and do a full build with forged internals etc, then run some spray and possibly a supercharger down the line.

My plan if I got an Ls2 was to switch the the Ls3 ported heads with springs, push rods, lifters and an aggressive cam and a high volume oil pump, then headers and an exhaust. And run a little spray on that untill it goes boom.

The ZR1 is the factory superchargerd model correct? I’m way to broke for that and the Zo6 route I don’t see any real benefits to justify the cost difference.

If you end up swapping heads you might as well pull the engine and add some ring gap. A bit more labor, but no real cost involved. That way you can run the giggle gas and with the right tune the motor will last much longer (plus you can safely up the shot considerably).

It sounds like straight line performance is your goal. An auto, while not as much fun imo, is generally a superior trans to run for drag racing applications. Since you're not looking for Z06 or ZR1 models, this should make it easier to find the right deal.

Yes, the ZR1 is the factory supercharged monster.

|

1/30/2021 10:47 AM

Matt Fisher wrote:

5.9_bro wrote:

Matt Fisher wrote:

If you end up swapping heads you might as well pull the engine and add some ring gap. A bit more labor, but no real cost involved. That way you can run the giggle gas and with the right tune the motor will last much longer (plus you can safely up the shot considerably).

It sounds like straight line performance is your goal. An auto, while not as much fun imo, is generally a superior trans to run for drag racing applications. Since you're not looking for Z06 or ZR1 models, this should make it easier to find the right deal.

I’m going to go with a manual, I’d rather have a manual than an auto personally all though a auto would have faster shift points. Who does good tunes?

|

1/30/2021 12:55 PM

Here’s a test pass when it wasn’t stock anymore.

|

1/30/2021 12:58 PM

This is versus a 135 mph trap car. Nitrous on a progressive so it doesn’t blow the slicks off. You can hear and see when it turns all the Juice on!

|

1/30/2021 1:31 PM

OG725 wrote:

From a dig that car just seems unimpressive, my Cummins would take it from a dig.
I’m trying to build this car to be able to run a dig and a roll. I’ve yet to come across a perfect setup.

I was looking into a 5.0 as well but the LS seems like a better platform to build off of. I’m new to the gas world though, mostly a diesel guy

|

1/30/2021 1:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/30/2021 2:07 PM

OG725 wrote:

5.9_bro wrote:

From a dig that car just seems unimpressive, my Cummins would take it from a dig.
I’m trying to build this car to be able to run a dig and a roll. I’ve yet to come across a perfect setup.

I was looking into a 5.0 as well but the LS seems like a better platform to build off of. I’m new to the gas world though, mostly a diesel guy

Unless your Cummins can trap high 14X in a quarter, from a dig, on the street, you don’t know what you’re looking at. We spent a lot of time making the car work.

I don’t roll, that’s for guys that can’t drive, or the bakery.

|

1/30/2021 2:16 PM

OG725 wrote:

5.9_bro wrote:

OG725 wrote:

Unless your Cummins can trap high 14X in a quarter, from a dig, on the street, you don’t know what you’re looking at. We spent a lot of time making the car work.

I’ve run low 12s from a dig on no prep in my truck, that’s besides the point tho, what made you build a 5.0 over an LS?

|

1/30/2021 2:17 PM

5.9_bro wrote:

Matt Fisher wrote:

5.9_bro wrote:

I’m going to go with a manual, I’d rather have a manual than an auto personally all though a auto would have faster shift points. Who does good tunes?

As well I’ll end up doing the wide body conversion and coil overs, the ZO6 sway bars etc etc, that seems much cheeper than finding a Zo6 or grand sport

|

1/30/2021 2:54 PM

5.9_bro wrote:

OG725 wrote:

5.9_bro wrote:

I’ve run low 12s from a dig on no prep in my truck, that’s besides the point tho, what made you build a 5.0 over an LS?

I ran in the 11s with a stock engine. The pass you said was unimpressive, was considerably quicker than that.

I’m a Ford guy, wouldn’t get caught dead with an LS. Could never own a Vette as I don’t wear pink polos or pop my collar. 🤣🤣🤣

|

1/30/2021 3:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/30/2021 3:07 PM

OG725 wrote:

5.9_bro wrote:

OG725 wrote:

I ran in the 11s with a stock engine. The pass you said was unimpressive, was considerably quicker than that.

I’m a Ford guy, wouldn’t get caught dead with an LS. Could never own a Vette as I don’t wear pink polos or pop my collar. 🤣🤣🤣

I’m not the “polo” guy either lol 😂
I’ve taken multiple 5.0s in my truck by a bus. I will say as soon as that spray hit it took.

Any advantages of a 5.0 Over an ls?

|