VitalMX Magazine?

chadwik74
Posts
1257
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
CA
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 11:27pm
Coming over too this site got me thinking about the possibilities for Vital. Is there enough market for a new mag out there? It's kinda similar to TWMX in the sense of it's content and product's etc., and I see there is even a Vital BMX site as well. Just wondering if that would do well ....or is there enough out there with RacerX,TWMX,MXA, etc.,etc.? Ever cross your mind Gibby?
|
DPW
Posts
1996
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Dallas, TX, USA
4/4/2008 6:10am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2008 6:10am
why would you need a magazine when you have all the important up to date info here already on the site? I thought about it myself, but I guess the question would be what could the magazine offer other then reading material when your are off-line?
4/4/2008 6:23am
I'd like it, but I think print mags are starting to go the way of the dodo - digital publications can disperse information much more quickly and efficiently.
flarider
Posts
25496
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
4/4/2008 6:26am
Print is dead
OW38B
Posts
3619
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
Coto de Caza, CA, USA
4/4/2008 7:17am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:32pm
Funny, got the latest issue of Motocross Action in the mail the other day, brought a big smile to my face and could not wait to read it.

I still like reading a hard copy, the digital ones drive me nuts trying to read them.

The Shop

4mxonly
Posts
1060
Joined
2/17/2008
Location
Middle Of The Hand, MI, USA
4/4/2008 7:21am
flarider wrote:
Print is dead
So true. Before we know it we'll be flipping digital pages of our favorite magazines on our cell phones.
Shenzi
Posts
2707
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
SWFL, FL, USA
Fantasy
4/4/2008 7:34am
You don't need another magazine, we have plenty enough and this site is so much better than TWMX's . I rarely go to TWMX and never stay more than 3 minutes. Vital has a lot more content and more stuff to check out.
GuyB
Posts
35722
Joined
7/10/2006
Location
Aliso Viejo, CA, USA
4/4/2008 7:46am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:32pm
Nope, no magazines for us.


Actually, my boss is a really smart guy. He published a couple magazines of his own, and later sold them to Time Warner. He started TransWorld MX with Swap, and was group publisher of all the TW titles...surf, skate, snow, BMX, MX, Quad, etc.


He's also a guy who watches the numbers. Like declining ad revenue, circulation, and subscriptions on magazines. And increasing numbers in the web world.


It also feels good not to use up a few million pounds of paper every year (including tons of it that go straight to the trash, unread by anyone).


Nah, we'll skip the magazine. Smile
KAWboy14
Posts
6502
Joined
12/31/2007
Location
Austin, TX, USA
4/4/2008 7:49am
is that why DC is so concerned about keeping the national events?
flarider
Posts
25496
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
4/4/2008 7:51am
GuyB wrote:
Nope, no magazines for us. Actually, my boss is a really smart guy. He published a couple magazines of his own, and later sold them to...
Nope, no magazines for us.


Actually, my boss is a really smart guy. He published a couple magazines of his own, and later sold them to Time Warner. He started TransWorld MX with Swap, and was group publisher of all the TW titles...surf, skate, snow, BMX, MX, Quad, etc.


He's also a guy who watches the numbers. Like declining ad revenue, circulation, and subscriptions on magazines. And increasing numbers in the web world.


It also feels good not to use up a few million pounds of paper every year (including tons of it that go straight to the trash, unread by anyone).


Nah, we'll skip the magazine. Smile
You meant to say he started TWMX with Swap
Digger437
Posts
1394
Joined
9/4/2006
Location
Wisconsin Rapids, WI, USA
4/4/2008 7:55am
With great sites like this, I get up to the minute updates on what is going around in the mx world. How can you beat that.

My new Transworld just came, and although I like the mags too, reading about A2 now seems like it happened last year.
KAWboy14
Posts
6502
Joined
12/31/2007
Location
Austin, TX, USA
4/4/2008 8:00am
i still need print so i can keep up with all of oprah and martha stewarts cool ideas!
KAWboy14
Posts
6502
Joined
12/31/2007
Location
Austin, TX, USA
4/4/2008 8:00am
4mxonly
Posts
1060
Joined
2/17/2008
Location
Middle Of The Hand, MI, USA
4/4/2008 8:57am
KAWboy14 wrote:
i still need print so i can keep up with all of oprah and martha stewarts cool ideas!
the only reason i need print is because I can't take my computer into the bathroom.
flarider
Posts
25496
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
4/4/2008 9:15am
KAWboy14 wrote:
i still need print so i can keep up with all of oprah and martha stewarts cool ideas!
4mxonly wrote:
the only reason i need print is because I can't take my computer into the bathroom.
iPhone
4/4/2008 9:32am
With an iPhone, you can read magazines AND look at porn on the toilet - all from the same device!
Adam43
Posts
3315
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
WF
4/4/2008 9:37am
Magazines won't ever be completely erased. I will read my hard copies of MXA until I die.
flarider
Posts
25496
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
4/4/2008 9:39am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2008 9:40am
With an iPhone, you can read magazines AND look at porn on the toilet - all from the same device!
Right!


God Bless the iPhone!
Moto East Mag
Posts
3462
Joined
9/4/2006
Location
Arlington, VA, USA
4/4/2008 9:47am
Adam43 wrote:
Magazines won't ever be completely erased. I will read my hard copies of MXA until I die.
Print revenue was way, way down this year:

Overall US Newspaper Revenue in 2007 Plunged $3.9 Billion From 2006, The Drop In 2006 Over 2005 Was Just $167,000, and Before Then Joint Print/Internet Revenue Was Up Each Year; Spot A Nasty Trend There?

Philip M. Stone April 1, 2008
What started as a small trickle in 2006 – a slight overall revenue decline of $167,000 when US newspaper print revenue losses were offset against the Internet’s gains -- became a raging torrent in 2007 with newspapers reporting a $3.9 billion decline and the second worst print drop since those measurements began in 1950.


I hope the hard copies stay around. But I do notice that I burn through print mags in about an hour. Not to mention 30-40 pages of ads before you get to an article!
The other factor is reading about things that happened months ago! I notice the mags are doing better writing to make up for that fact.
TW is the freshest to me right now. The columns are excellent and they have the right mix between mx paparazzi and technical stuff.
It looks like they try and get guys to write their inner feelings (Short, Villy, Fiolek) and not write stuff like "then I ate another apple and raced and got fifth. Then I adjusted my suspension, ate an orange, and got ninth. Then I went home and ate dinner and slept."
teggers
Posts
3721
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Winter Park, FL, USA
4/4/2008 10:31am
I counted ads vs. articles in a recent print mag in my library and was surprised that there were more ads than articles. Not totally surprised, but it made me realise that if you put 20pages of pictures, 5 pages of rider profiles, 10 pages of race reports, a few pages of kid fluff, you only have to have a few pages of original thought for a 100 page magazine.

I haven't bought a mag in years, .but damn I get a ton of free ones in the mail. I guess that adds up in ad sales
chadwik74
Posts
1257
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
CA
4/4/2008 10:48am
They better not be going anywhere. There are three things that I can't do without a magazine.... crapper, fly and work nightshift's. I'm guessing if Vital did try paper that it would be a good read....just a thought, but obviously not happening.
YamieRider411
Posts
142
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Locust Grove, GA, USA
4/4/2008 12:19pm
I just can't s(h)it on my throne without a dose of MX goodness to read.
500 Mike
Posts
1143
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Kingwood, TX, USA
4/4/2008 1:58pm
If print is dead why is there so many pages of advertising in all these mags? Obviously someone thinks they are getting a bang for their buck.
KAWboy14
Posts
6502
Joined
12/31/2007
Location
Austin, TX, USA
4/4/2008 5:32pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:32pm
we get 3 of these mags a week...


KAWboy14
Posts
6502
Joined
12/31/2007
Location
Austin, TX, USA
4/4/2008 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2008 5:36pm
4/4/2008 9:28pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2008 9:31pm
Click here if you enjoy reading on the toilet
Cabro
Posts
115
Joined
8/18/2006
Location
Cremona, IT
4/4/2008 11:56pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2008 11:57pm
Right now magazines is full of ADs....I prefer to get ads for free on the netand not to pay for ads on a magazine
flarider
Posts
25496
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
4/5/2008 6:37am
Cabro wrote:
Right now magazines is full of ADs....I prefer to get ads for free on the netand not to pay for ads on a magazine
That's stupid.
Ads are what pays for the magazine, not subscriptions or retail sales.
The cover price barely covers the cost of paper, printing and shipping it.

Advertising is the primary revenue source and what makes it possible
KAWboy14
Posts
6502
Joined
12/31/2007
Location
Austin, TX, USA
4/5/2008 6:47am
racerx offers a bargain at $10,000.00 per full page ad

Post a reply to: VitalMX Magazine?

The Latest