Tearoffs for Cheap

bullpen58
Posts
4399
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Fresno, CA, USA
Edited Date/Time 2/10/2012 4:39pm
Accidentally posted this in non-moto so I re-posted it here.

Go to www.cheaptearoffs.com. I don't care if you don't like spam, but paying for tearoffs at Oakley/scott/etc. prices is unwise. I don't own the company or anything just trying to help all you fellow racers out. If you know of any other good deals, please post them up.

One thing I'm looking for is a new throttle hand. Mine seems broken or something. It has limited range of motion. Does hammerhead make a better one I could buy?
|
Justin314
Posts
634
Joined
2/17/2009
Location
Suffolk, VA, USA
2/8/2012 7:13pm
It's good to see they're starting to make some for Von Zippers now (one of the styles I use, too). If they start making some for the "bushwick" frame as well, I'll be in business. I'm interested in trying some out. Has anyone used them? How do they compare to the ones you get from the goggle manufacturers?
CRF505
Posts
528
Joined
11/24/2011
Location
Clarkston, MI, USA
2/8/2012 7:33pm
I use it too. Only way to buy tear offs IMO
FGR01
Posts
6150
Joined
10/1/2006
Location
USA
Fantasy
2/8/2012 7:38pm
Justin314 wrote:
It's good to see they're starting to make some for Von Zippers now (one of the styles I use, too). If they start making some for...
It's good to see they're starting to make some for Von Zippers now (one of the styles I use, too). If they start making some for the "bushwick" frame as well, I'll be in business. I'm interested in trying some out. Has anyone used them? How do they compare to the ones you get from the goggle manufacturers?
They are ultra-thin. Much thinner than OEM tear offs. They tend to vibrate and make more noise from the wind. Also, because they are not as stiff as OEM the grab-tab can get folded over from the wind and be a little tricky to get a hold of at times. Otherwise, they are fine and you can't beat the price.

The Shop

firemedic301
Posts
220
Joined
2/9/2009
Location
Lake Havasu, AZ, USA
2/8/2012 7:59pm
Cheaptearoffs are awesome for practice, however if you stack 5 or more the vision is awful especially if you are riding into the sun or glare. That is when Oakley, Scott, ect... laminated tear offs wayyyyyyyy out class the cheap ones, but again for practice the cheap ones are awesome
Ramrod
Posts
4998
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Ontario, CA
2/8/2012 8:15pm
Good call bullpen, I'm down with cto.com
bullpen58
Posts
4399
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Fresno, CA, USA
2/8/2012 8:24pm
Cheaptearoffs are awesome for practice, however if you stack 5 or more the vision is awful especially if you are riding into the sun or glare...
Cheaptearoffs are awesome for practice, however if you stack 5 or more the vision is awful especially if you are riding into the sun or glare. That is when Oakley, Scott, ect... laminated tear offs wayyyyyyyy out class the cheap ones, but again for practice the cheap ones are awesome
I have never needed more than 5 tearoffs for a 5-7 lap race in my life. I'm lucky if I pull 2-3 on a super muddy day.

If I were an AMA pro racing 90+8 in the middle of a hurricane, I would probably use something different (but I would get them for free so it wouldn't matter).

I tried the Oakley lamintated tearoffs and HATE them. I will NEVER buy those again for as long as I live. I love Oakley goggles though (and their regular tearoffs work great). Smile
yamaha581
Posts
293
Joined
12/8/2008
Location
Butler, PA, USA
2/8/2012 8:28pm
I bought a pair of Oakleys early last year and they came with a set of tearoffs, the only thing is they would all like stick together and it was like I could only use 1 at a time. Are all of Oakleys tearoffs like that or did I just get unlucky or something.
bullpen58
Posts
4399
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Fresno, CA, USA
2/8/2012 8:29pm
yamaha581 wrote:
I bought a pair of Oakleys early last year and they came with a set of tearoffs, the only thing is they would all like stick...
I bought a pair of Oakleys early last year and they came with a set of tearoffs, the only thing is they would all like stick together and it was like I could only use 1 at a time. Are all of Oakleys tearoffs like that or did I just get unlucky or something.
That sounds like you probably got stuck with the lame laminated ones. Their regular ones work just fine.
yamaha581
Posts
293
Joined
12/8/2008
Location
Butler, PA, USA
2/8/2012 8:33pm
bullpen58 wrote:
That sounds like you probably got stuck with the lame laminated ones. Their regular ones work just fine.
Yea thats what I was thinking, I havent bought any tearsoffs lately but ive been using either spy or scott goggles and I actually like the way they fit better than oakleys.
2/8/2012 8:41pm
once you get used to laminated ones they are very good, but they are a pain to put on (esp with o frames) but they take a bit to get used to, you have to pull them alot further across, i use normal ones when i know ill only need 2 or 3, but sometime you know you are going to need more for longer races,
bullpen58
Posts
4399
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Fresno, CA, USA
2/8/2012 8:50pm
scott_nz wrote:
once you get used to laminated ones they are very good, but they are a pain to put on (esp with o frames) but they take...
once you get used to laminated ones they are very good, but they are a pain to put on (esp with o frames) but they take a bit to get used to, you have to pull them alot further across, i use normal ones when i know ill only need 2 or 3, but sometime you know you are going to need more for longer races,
Exactly what I learned. You have to pull them from your left all the way over to your right ear or else they stay stuck on.

What I hate is that I often get a pack and there will be a huge air bubble in the stack of laminates and it is basically ruined. Then, since they are sticky, they attract dirt, dust, hair, pubes, dog fur, and dingleberries like a magnet. So you end up with a huge stack of laminated tearoffs with all kinds of dirt and crap in between them.

And if you pull a few off to use (when you only need 2-3 like almost EVERY race, maximum), they stick all over the lense and won't go on. I end up tearing the little hole that clips on.

I will NEVER buy those again. EVER. If it is SO muddy that I can't use regular tearoffs for a 5 lap race, I'm loading up and driving home. I don't get paid for this and it is NOT fun to crash all over the track in that kind of mud/rain.
jndmx
Posts
9699
Joined
1/20/2008
Location
South Kingston, RI, USA
2/8/2012 8:53pm
2/8/2012 8:55pm
I know what you mean about everything sticking to them, i used to use them in cross country racing although now most of those events over here have banned tearoffs so its roll off's only
Deetsmx
Posts
888
Joined
4/21/2008
Location
Visalia, CA, USA
2/8/2012 8:55pm
Thanks for the kind words guys. As far as thickness goes, we used to make thicker ones but then some people complained they were too thick. Its more personal preference and we have toyed with the idea of offering both, we will see. Obviously laminated works better if stacking a bunch but I've also seen people pull the whole stack at once. I'd say most people only stack about 3 or so a race depending on conditions. Hell, I own the company and most of the time I come off the track with the same amount as I put on. For those people questioning the quality, you would be surprised to know what major companies we make tearoffs for as well. We have had several contests in conjunction with the supercross races so if you would like to try some follow us on Facebook and just give us your predictions for the race (which you benchracers do on here anyway) and you can win some free tearoffs and lenses.
bullpen58
Posts
4399
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Fresno, CA, USA
2/8/2012 9:01pm
haha. I usually finish a race with the same tearoffs on that I started the race with too.....even if it is covered in mud. LOL

But last sunday, not sure if you saw me, I pulled THE single tearoff I had on during the second moto. I got roosted by Danny Warner and coming out of a corner, while nowhere near pinned in 3rd, I reached up (carefully) with one hand and BAM! Clear vision!
2/8/2012 9:08pm
Thanks for the reminder. Need some tear offs to go with my new pair of X brand goggles. Cool
bullpen58
Posts
4399
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Fresno, CA, USA
2/8/2012 9:14pm
Thanks for the reminder. Need some tear offs to go with my new pair of X brand goggles. Cool
I sincerely hope you're using a SHOEI helmet.
2/8/2012 9:14pm
This reminds me of walking the track at the end of the day and collecting tear offs to clean and re use as a pre teenager... ahhh good times. : )
2/8/2012 9:15pm
Thanks for the reminder. Need some tear offs to go with my new pair of X brand goggles. Cool
bullpen58 wrote:
I sincerely hope you're using a SHOEI helmet.
I have a One Ind. Trooper 2......
bullpen58
Posts
4399
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Fresno, CA, USA
2/8/2012 10:39pm
Thanks for the reminder. Need some tear offs to go with my new pair of X brand goggles. Cool
bullpen58 wrote:
I sincerely hope you're using a SHOEI helmet.
I have a One Ind. Trooper 2......
I was just kidding dude....as I type on my DELL computer. Just wanna thank my Kirkland Signature water and Costco for keeping me broke out there.
Fearo
Posts
1383
Joined
12/17/2009
Location
BE
2/9/2012 12:30am
Just wanted to ask something, might be the only person with this problem but anyway... I once bought like 150 tear-offs from cheaptearoffs some 2 years ago and still have most of them cause I have an annoying problem. The tear-offs I have don't have the 2 'grooves' next to the holes that OEM tearoffs have. Because they don't have these grooves it's a pretty annoying feeling when I pull them off, it doesn't happen smoothly, they seem to 'pop' off, sometimes even lifting my goggles from my face a few mm when I'm pulling them... Any ideas?
424
Posts
80
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
2/9/2012 5:19am
I used to use them but a couple years ago when I got a few packs they had the slits on each side of the holes. They literally would just fall off before you could even put the goggles on. The ones I had from them from the year before just had one slit and worked fine. I guess the thickness of film would factor into how many slits or hole size it should have. Anyway, back then (and maybe still I don't know) they really had no contact info on the website so I just ate it and quit buying them.
Suzuki132
Posts
47
Joined
10/4/2009
Location
Alberta, CA
2/9/2012 5:51am
While they are a very good deal I will not buy them again unless they fix two things. First off the slits that 424 talked about. The tearoffs come with smaller, less precise cut slits so that when you put them over the "post" the plastic will tend to tear. I found about 1 in 3 did this to me, must be the machine press they use to cut out the hole.

Secondly the thickness, definitely a little too thin. At higher speeds ive had the circlet part you grab actually rip from the wind.

Good prices and idea, just needs a bit higher quality if i would use them again for 30 plus 2
Deetsmx
Posts
888
Joined
4/21/2008
Location
Visalia, CA, USA
2/9/2012 7:16am
Even though we replicate oem tear-offs, we have updated several models throughout the last few years once we received complaints about them. We have added slits when necessary, made small changes to the hole size and even change hole position at times. Some companies will make small changes to models (like Smith and Scott for example) and update their lenses and tear-offs without changing the name. Even though they may look the same, the post position or size may be off a few mm but it is enough to cause slight figment problems. Sometimes it takes a bit to catch but when we do we make the necessary changes. We also pride ourselves on our customer service and if there is a problem we either give full refunds or replace the product whether it was our fault or if the customer made a mistake in ordering. For those of you in this thread who have had some problems contact us at cheaptearoffs@yahoo.com and we will be happy to help you out and resolve the issues that you have had. We are racers ourselves and understand the need to have a quality product when you go to the line.
835
Posts
651
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Turbotville, PA, USA
2/9/2012 7:49am
Anyone use there goggles?
FGR01
Posts
6150
Joined
10/1/2006
Location
USA
Fantasy
2/9/2012 7:52am
Awesome feedback Deets. Nice to see a company on here listening to their customers and taking positive action!
Deetsmx
Posts
888
Joined
4/21/2008
Location
Visalia, CA, USA
2/9/2012 8:04am
FGR01 wrote:
Awesome feedback Deets. Nice to see a company on here listening to their customers and taking positive action!
We just want to make sure our customers are happy with our products and that they want to continue to use us. We make the best product that we can but we also use feedback to make the necessary changes if something does need to be fixed. There is no better test riders than our customers because they are the ones paying for our products.
bullpen58
Posts
4399
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Fresno, CA, USA
2/9/2012 8:07am
Deetsmx wrote:
Even though we replicate oem tear-offs, we have updated several models throughout the last few years once we received complaints about them. We have added slits...
Even though we replicate oem tear-offs, we have updated several models throughout the last few years once we received complaints about them. We have added slits when necessary, made small changes to the hole size and even change hole position at times. Some companies will make small changes to models (like Smith and Scott for example) and update their lenses and tear-offs without changing the name. Even though they may look the same, the post position or size may be off a few mm but it is enough to cause slight figment problems. Sometimes it takes a bit to catch but when we do we make the necessary changes. We also pride ourselves on our customer service and if there is a problem we either give full refunds or replace the product whether it was our fault or if the customer made a mistake in ordering. For those of you in this thread who have had some problems contact us at cheaptearoffs@yahoo.com and we will be happy to help you out and resolve the issues that you have had. We are racers ourselves and understand the need to have a quality product when you go to the line.
Awesome. Customer service > quality of product every day of the week for me. I have faith that your product is good but having that kind of support is rare, even in this sport (where it is more common than other sports). Thanks Timmerman.
Suzuki132
Posts
47
Joined
10/4/2009
Location
Alberta, CA
2/9/2012 9:22am
Thanks for the reply Deets, that positive response will be enough for me to give them a try again!

Post a reply to: Tearoffs for Cheap

The Latest