Supercross Futures Track Detuning

Titanium
1/8/2020 6:01pm
I'm considering entering a couple of rounds of the Supercross Futures races that are held the Sunday after Supercross. Asking for those with first hand knowledge to describe their experience and to what extent they modify or de-tune the track.

We ride indoors all winter in the Midwest and I find myself liking indoors more and more each year, so thus the desire to give futures a try. BTW I'll be racing +40 not trying to start a career...
|
wethington_793
Fantasy
2344th
1/8/2020 6:34pm
I did nashville last year. Track was tamed down big time. Even though we had crazy rain downpours right before my race, I still hit everything first lap. They skipped giving everyone a practice and went straight to racing that morning.
Titanium
1/8/2020 6:41pm
I did nashville last year. Track was tamed down big time. Even though we had crazy rain downpours right before my race, I still hit everything...
I did nashville last year. Track was tamed down big time. Even though we had crazy rain downpours right before my race, I still hit everything first lap. They skipped giving everyone a practice and went straight to racing that morning.
Thanks for the input! Thinking about SLC and Denver rounds. Hate to think of a mudder, we get enough of those around here all summer lol
McG194
1/8/2020 7:24pm
The first year they detuned them big time, last year they left them a bit more challenging. In the early 90's I raced the Silverdome SX amateur day and had the bad luck of racing Saturday morning. I can't emphasize enough how much I never want to race stadium whoops again.

If you hit the Tampa race and you run out of talent I may be waving the yellow flag for you. lol
Titanium
1/8/2020 7:52pm
McG194 wrote:
The first year they detuned them big time, last year they left them a bit more challenging. In the early 90's I raced the Silverdome SX...
The first year they detuned them big time, last year they left them a bit more challenging. In the early 90's I raced the Silverdome SX amateur day and had the bad luck of racing Saturday morning. I can't emphasize enough how much I never want to race stadium whoops again.

If you hit the Tampa race and you run out of talent I may be waving the yellow flag for you. lol
LOL, run out of talent, that is a real possibility. I was hoping they steamrolled the whoops!

The Shop

Grenader26
1/8/2020 9:07pm
I am curious too. Plan on doing Arlington but in 35+. In no way do I belong out there but I want to do it once for the experience.
1/8/2020 9:35pm
Anaheim 2 last year was only minorly tamed down from the pro layout. It was pretty gnarly, honestly.
JM485
1/8/2020 9:39pm
The first year they toned it down quite a bit, last year they toned the rhythms slightly and made the triples into double, but overall the kept it pretty challenging. At the national finals they basically didn't touch the track other than the dragons back which was great, I wanted it to stay difficult. Overall, highly recommended, I had a ton of fun at both races and just tried to ride within my limits, if you do that you should be just fine.

oldblood
1/8/2020 9:41pm
Last year was supposed to be tamed way down like a vet track, but it ended up being gnarly. How will it be this year?
Titanium
1/9/2020 9:19am
JM485 wrote:
The first year they toned it down quite a bit, last year they toned the rhythms slightly and made the triples into double, but overall the...
The first year they toned it down quite a bit, last year they toned the rhythms slightly and made the triples into double, but overall the kept it pretty challenging. At the national finals they basically didn't touch the track other than the dragons back which was great, I wanted it to stay difficult. Overall, highly recommended, I had a ton of fun at both races and just tried to ride within my limits, if you do that you should be just fine.

Thanks for posting those JM485! Those videos say a lot, tracks still look pretty gnarly...

And had to laugh at the empty stands Smile
Stuntman949
1/9/2020 9:28am Edited Date/Time 1/9/2020 9:29am
The very first Futures race of this generation was wildly easy. Should of just left the desert tank on. Seems like there were complaints by those actually trying to make a go at Supercross and from Arizona on out, it got quite a bit more technical.
rob162
1/9/2020 9:34am Edited Date/Time 1/9/2020 9:34am
Well i will tell you guys on monday how the track is im signed up for St Louis. Im not sure if i want a tame track or left alone. Im excited for the long whoop section though!
Titanium
1/9/2020 12:49pm
rob162 wrote:
Well i will tell you guys on monday how the track is im signed up for St Louis. Im not sure if i want a tame...
Well i will tell you guys on monday how the track is im signed up for St Louis. Im not sure if i want a tame track or left alone. Im excited for the long whoop section though!
Good luck down at St Louis this weekend Rob! Keep the rubber side up in those whoops haha. I'll be over at Cedar Lake Arena in New Richmond for race weekend. Looking forward to your Monday report...
Motodave15
1/9/2020 2:14pm
How fast is the 30+ class at these things? I want to do one, But i am not down to hang it our for all the glory.

I want a 30+ D class kinda race lol
Racer111
1/9/2020 8:40pm
Racer111 wrote:
Titanium wrote:
Good stuff, thanks for posting Racer111! That track looked very hard packed and slippery.

Glad you were ok after the tuff block testing Smile
That wasn’t me on the Honda or whatever it was. I raced the 30+class. I just didn’t have a go pro. I found this guy.
Racer111
1/9/2020 8:54pm
Motodave15 wrote:
How fast is the 30+ class at these things? I want to do one, But i am not down to hang it our for all the...
How fast is the 30+ class at these things? I want to do one, But i am not down to hang it our for all the glory.

I want a 30+ D class kinda race lol
This was the 30+ class at Denver.

https://youtu.be/AW7HYFCysgg
Layton
1/10/2020 10:37am
JM485 wrote:
The first year they toned it down quite a bit, last year they toned the rhythms slightly and made the triples into double, but overall the...

Titanium wrote:
Thanks for posting those JM485! Those videos say a lot, tracks still look pretty gnarly... And had to laugh at the empty stands :)
Thanks for posting those JM485! Those videos say a lot, tracks still look pretty gnarly...

And had to laugh at the empty stands Smile
The empty stands are normal since just about everyone that goes has a pit pass and only come into the stands when their rider is out there.
oldblood
1/14/2020 10:48am
rob162 wrote:
Well i will tell you guys on monday how the track is im signed up for St Louis. Im not sure if i want a tame...
How was it?
1/14/2020 11:52am Edited Date/Time 1/14/2020 11:54am
Here's how Saint Louis looked, about on par with the difficulty at Anaheim 2 last year. I expect it to be about the same level of difficulty this year at A2. The A2 layout has 2 long whoop sections. Its gonna be gnar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46QZ1uIR9EM
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
1/14/2020 1:26pm
I'm sure it's different now, but I rode amateur day in 2003 and it was fun. The track was way mellower, which made it easy. However, because of the layout, the ease of the track made many of the rhythms and obstacles impossible, so it was hard. I know it sounds strange, but here's an example:
The triple was obviously too big for most amateurs. So, they took out the third jump. However, since there was a massive 180-degree turn leading up to it, you could come down the berm with so much speed that it was easy to overjump; you had to slow down so you wouldn't flatland out in the open.
Another example is that they mashed down the rhythms so they were not too peaky. That made them hard to clear because you couldn't get a lot of lift off the jumps.
The overall feeling was a disjointed racetrack. I could have done with a slightly more "full strength" track, but of course they would have been carting away the injuries by the dozen.
1/14/2020 7:13pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2020 7:15pm
May as well post my other 2 since the one with the crash is posted.
Side note, my son literally picked up that 450 from Chase Marquier 1 week before this race. Never been on a 450 before. He called me on his way home from Dallas after buying the bike and said hey do you mind If I race St. Louis? I said let me see if there are any classes you can do.
He rode it Sunday, Tuesday and 1/2 day Wednesday at our local track before the rear tire went flat. He never even got to practice a start until the first moto in St. Louis. That's why his starts weren't that great. He will be ready for Arlington though

https://youtu.be/zrB90suU4GI

https://youtu.be/Ha0FupT51A8

Post a reply to: Supercross Futures Track Detuning

The Latest