Stem Cells Reversing Paralysis?

|
rhargrave431
11/28/2016 7:32pm
I know a women in my hometown that just got her first injections last week! Could be a massive medical breakthrough.
tempura
11/28/2016 7:33pm
Some people react positively from it, others don't. A friend of a friend was paralysed jumping into a river. He went to China for stem cell treatment. He didn't show any signs of improvement.
The timing is critical.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
11/28/2016 7:47pm
Crisp BRAAAP! This guy is in the know about stem cells.
11/28/2016 8:57pm
kzizok wrote:
LaughingLaughingLaughing

I've clearly said it many times before here: I run a stem cell lab and have for a decade, been studying them for ~15 years after earning my Ph.D.

This could be an exciting development - I am well aware of the work and the folks involved. But: it's one person cited here, the extent of repair is good but not great, and the cells are injected soon after injury (I think it's 2-3 weeks). As many know, sometimes people spontaneously recover during this period anyway, so it's not clear that the cells should receive the credit. This is why placebo-controlled, double blinded studies are needed to show that something actually causes repair to happen. The current studies are primarily designed to establish safety.

Also, to tempura and so many others: the term "stem cell" is completely misused. Generically speaking, it's a cell that can divide to make a copy of itself and a "specialized" cell. Most tourist "stem cell" destinations like China or even many places in America will take fat out of your ass, process it in some quick way, and shoot it back to another place in your body. Technically, that fat contains some "stem cells", but these cells have a limited capacity to make other cell types, and they generally make bone, cartilage, some muscle types, and a few others but not the neural cells needed to repair the actual damage. Many of us "embryonic stem cell" people do not believe this strategy will work well, although there are reasons to think it could make a small contribution for reasons too complicated to put on Vital. Obviously many of them disagree with us in the interest of being fair. It's just that they're wrong Laughing Many of them are M.D.s and not scientists, and they'll charge you huge sums of money for their unproven treatment. That's a fact.

This product is derived from human embryonic stem cells and it's the very first such product ever submitted to the FDA. I honestly didn't have high hopes for it based on the biology, but the recent evidence is encouraging. But using terms like "reversing paralysis" and then citing one person is fairly irresponsible because it creates false hope. I think we should be cautiously optimistic.

The Shop

charliel5301
11/28/2016 9:10pm
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25338642/?i=6&from=geoffrey%20rai…

Here's an article that talks about a case of paralysis that showed improved trunk stability, partial recovery of the voluntary movements of the lower extremities, and an increase of the muscle mass in the left thigh, as well as partial recovery of skin and deep tissue sensation. Doesn't show a complete recovery, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it hasn't happened yet.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
11/28/2016 9:17pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2016 9:20pm
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25338642/?i=6&from=geoffrey%20raisman Here's an article that talks about a case of paralysis that showed improved trunk stability, partial recovery of the voluntary movements of the lower extremities...

Here's an article that talks about a case of paralysis that showed improved trunk stability, partial recovery of the voluntary movements of the lower extremities, and an increase of the muscle mass in the left thigh, as well as partial recovery of skin and deep tissue sensation. Doesn't show a complete recovery, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it hasn't happened yet.
Thats not really a study.
charliel5301
11/28/2016 9:21pm
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25338642/?i=6&from=geoffrey%20raisman Here's an article that talks about a case of paralysis that showed improved trunk stability, partial recovery of the voluntary movements of the lower extremities...

kzizok wrote:
You're right, it's an article reviewing what happened during a trial. I don't think the Journal of Neurotrauma would publish if it wasn't credible.
824 Dad
11/28/2016 9:49pm
kzizok wrote:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I've clearly said it many times before here: I run a stem cell lab and have for a decade, been studying them for...
LaughingLaughingLaughing

I've clearly said it many times before here: I run a stem cell lab and have for a decade, been studying them for ~15 years after earning my Ph.D.

This could be an exciting development - I am well aware of the work and the folks involved. But: it's one person cited here, the extent of repair is good but not great, and the cells are injected soon after injury (I think it's 2-3 weeks). As many know, sometimes people spontaneously recover during this period anyway, so it's not clear that the cells should receive the credit. This is why placebo-controlled, double blinded studies are needed to show that something actually causes repair to happen. The current studies are primarily designed to establish safety.

Also, to tempura and so many others: the term "stem cell" is completely misused. Generically speaking, it's a cell that can divide to make a copy of itself and a "specialized" cell. Most tourist "stem cell" destinations like China or even many places in America will take fat out of your ass, process it in some quick way, and shoot it back to another place in your body. Technically, that fat contains some "stem cells", but these cells have a limited capacity to make other cell types, and they generally make bone, cartilage, some muscle types, and a few others but not the neural cells needed to repair the actual damage. Many of us "embryonic stem cell" people do not believe this strategy will work well, although there are reasons to think it could make a small contribution for reasons too complicated to put on Vital. Obviously many of them disagree with us in the interest of being fair. It's just that they're wrong Laughing Many of them are M.D.s and not scientists, and they'll charge you huge sums of money for their unproven treatment. That's a fact.

This product is derived from human embryonic stem cells and it's the very first such product ever submitted to the FDA. I honestly didn't have high hopes for it based on the biology, but the recent evidence is encouraging. But using terms like "reversing paralysis" and then citing one person is fairly irresponsible because it creates false hope. I think we should be cautiously optimistic.
Great comments Chrisp.
What type of stem cell work are you involved with, spinal cord injury or something else's? I'm holding out hope there will be a positive development for chronic spinal cord injury as my son suffers from one 12 years ago from this sport.

I was around the Reeve Irvine Research Center as Hans Keirstead was going for the FDA approval of this Oligodendrocycte therapy, while it may not be the silver bullet hopefully it will pave the way for other stem cell treatments.

It amazes me about how uniformed The general public is about stem cells and what are valid therapies and how most all of them if not all are scams but I guess if I wasn't close to someone that could benefit from there successful use I would be the same.....

Keep working in your lab and maybe you'll be the the one to help with the quality of life for the thousands out there dealing with these terrible injuries and diseases.
jemcee
11/28/2016 10:05pm
I've mentioned I don't really get that excited about much of these breakthrough's due to my injury being so long ago and it all seems to hinge on new injuries but this epidural electronic stimulation seems pretty promising
I don't really know how to share this properly but there's an article on page 11 of this online magazine
Epidural Electronic Stimulation
tempura
11/28/2016 10:22pm
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I've clearly said it many times before here: I run a stem cell lab and have for a decade, been studying them for...
LaughingLaughingLaughing

Thanks for informing me, and thank you for your important work.
Yes, I don't know the details of his "stem cell treatment" , but he was charged a lot of money and the results weren't positive.
Jrewing
11/29/2016 3:10am
jemcee wrote:
I've mentioned I don't really get that excited about much of these breakthrough's due to my injury being so long ago and it all seems to...
I've mentioned I don't really get that excited about much of these breakthrough's due to my injury being so long ago and it all seems to hinge on new injuries but this epidural electronic stimulation seems pretty promising
I don't really know how to share this properly but there's an article on page 11 of this online magazine
Is there anywhere you know of that takes donations for this field? Australian based
jemcee
11/29/2016 3:26am
jemcee wrote:
I've mentioned I don't really get that excited about much of these breakthrough's due to my injury being so long ago and it all seems to...
Jrewing wrote:
Is there anywhere you know of that takes donations for this field? Australian based
Not that I know of, what I gathered from that article is they were aiming at more 'big business' donations rather than smaller personal donations but I could be wrong..

I sent them an email to see if I can be a volunteer, I haven't heard back yet.. Bastards haha
11/29/2016 6:35am
kzizok wrote:
LaughingLaughingLaughing

824 Dad wrote:
Great comments Chrisp. What type of stem cell work are you involved with, spinal cord injury or something else's? I'm holding out hope there will be...
Great comments Chrisp.
What type of stem cell work are you involved with, spinal cord injury or something else's? I'm holding out hope there will be a positive development for chronic spinal cord injury as my son suffers from one 12 years ago from this sport.

I was around the Reeve Irvine Research Center as Hans Keirstead was going for the FDA approval of this Oligodendrocycte therapy, while it may not be the silver bullet hopefully it will pave the way for other stem cell treatments.

It amazes me about how uniformed The general public is about stem cells and what are valid therapies and how most all of them if not all are scams but I guess if I wasn't close to someone that could benefit from there successful use I would be the same.....

Keep working in your lab and maybe you'll be the the one to help with the quality of life for the thousands out there dealing with these terrible injuries and diseases.
Thanks, and sorry to hear about your son.

I am part of a group that has manufactured a therapy for Parkinson's. We are hoping to get to the FDA by 2018. But, my lab works on many things, and we have made spinal motor neurons in a dish for many years now. The problem is getting the cells to grow long distances to the right place after such an injury.

I've been riding for over 40 years, so obviously this topic is near and dear to my heart. The field is still learning a lot, so there's many exciting possibilities going forward. But I worry that many in our field (such as Hans in the past, IMO) has overhyped things. I don't want to suffocate hope, but I do want a sober reflection of the difficulties that we have in trying to develop treatments. It's not easy and takes lots of time and money.

Thanks for your support and kind words.
11/29/2016 6:55am

kzizok wrote:
You're right, it's an article reviewing what happened during a trial. I don't think the Journal of Neurotrauma would publish if it wasn't credible.
And here is a publication that talks about another single case using olfactory ensheathing cells (aka "stem cells") where it didn't help the patient, and instead the patient had a tumor composed of nose cells grow on her back, complicating her injury further and causing pain and surgeries to manage the tumor.

Be really careful about what you sign up for, because the people taking your money do not often mention these bad outcomes. Only those of us subjected to actual clinical trials must report the good and the bad.

And, a single case study is not a trial: it's a single case study. MDs frequently publish such cases, but a clinical trial is the result of many patients either receiving or not receiving a therapy to compare outcomes. It's not that it's not credible: it's just that you can't draw any conclusions about whether the patient got better because of the cells or in spite of the cells. Maybe the cells had nothing to do with it.

Having said that, there have been tons of publications that are wrong. There have been many publications that are not credible that end up in good journals. This guy made people believe that vaccines cause autism based on the worst evidence imaginable. There was a study in Nature that suggested that you could dilute a substance beyond less than 1 molecule (basis of homepathic remedies) and that water would retain the memory. It was super wrong and could not be replicated. Some believe up to 50% of published papers are wrong. But over time, science corrects itself: the truth is out there!
11/29/2016 9:24am
tempura wrote:
Some people react positively from it, others don't. A friend of a friend was paralysed jumping into a river. He went to China for stem cell...
Some people react positively from it, others don't. A friend of a friend was paralysed jumping into a river. He went to China for stem cell treatment. He didn't show any signs of improvement.
The timing is critical.
Not all stem cell treatments/studies are equal.
tim722
11/29/2016 10:07am
kzizok wrote:
LaughingLaughingLaughing

If I remember correctly the olfactory region is one of the few places in the body that have neural cells that are activly dividing? I seen some time last year a euro doc took these cells and reattached severed spinal tissue and it worked the guy can walk etc... after years of paralysis. Is there a hope for this? I work in an immunology setting right now so my stem cell knowledge is lacking.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
11/29/2016 12:46pm
Thanks, and sorry to hear about your son. I am part of a group that has manufactured a therapy for Parkinson's. We are hoping to get...
Thanks, and sorry to hear about your son.

I am part of a group that has manufactured a therapy for Parkinson's. We are hoping to get to the FDA by 2018. But, my lab works on many things, and we have made spinal motor neurons in a dish for many years now. The problem is getting the cells to grow long distances to the right place after such an injury.

I've been riding for over 40 years, so obviously this topic is near and dear to my heart. The field is still learning a lot, so there's many exciting possibilities going forward. But I worry that many in our field (such as Hans in the past, IMO) has overhyped things. I don't want to suffocate hope, but I do want a sober reflection of the difficulties that we have in trying to develop treatments. It's not easy and takes lots of time and money.

Thanks for your support and kind words.
My father is getting the 'deep brain' operation next month for Parkinson's. Could you elaborate on the therapy that you are working on?
Jesse318NW
1/25/2019 3:28pm
kzizok wrote:
LaughingLaughingLaughing

I appreciate you sharing this information. This could be the most informative post I've ever ready on Vital! Thank you!
1/25/2019 3:38pm
It took 16 years for Medicare to reimburse for heart education which led to reversal of heart damage. Stem cells will take 160. There are too many lobbyists that protect big pharma to allow this sort of thing to get approved quickly.
Lando
1/25/2019 5:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2019 5:24pm
It took 16 years for Medicare to reimburse for heart education which led to reversal of heart damage. Stem cells will take 160. There are too...
It took 16 years for Medicare to reimburse for heart education which led to reversal of heart damage. Stem cells will take 160. There are too many lobbyists that protect big pharma to allow this sort of thing to get approved quickly.
Wouldn't stem cell treatment be beneficial to big pharma? I don't know much on this topic, but I would assume big pharma companies would love to see stem cell therapy advance as it is such an untapped market that seems quite profitable.

Edit: I just did a quick google search and it looks like big pharma is already investing
Fearo
1/26/2019 2:18am
kzizok wrote:
LaughingLaughingLaughing

Thanks for the great post.

It's a subject that I follow very closely but it's so difficult to wrap your head around what's actually necessary to reverse a SCI without having a complete, professional education on the subject.

A few days ago I started reading up on Patrick Rummerfield, whose case blows my mind and judging by videos and interviews I've seen, pretty much blows the minds of even the most knowledgeable people in the field.

I know the question can't be answered, but I'm pretty sure your crystal ball is calibrated a little better than mine.. Do you personally believe that we will find a 'cure' (or reversal process) for SCI in the next 50 years?

cdiesel711
1/26/2019 7:58am
kzizok wrote:
LaughingLaughingLaughing

Hey crisp! I’m a t7 complete para from a moto accident in ‘97 I got approved for the panama project with dr Neil riordan. But at 40k I’m guessing it’s snake oil. Any thoughts? And to be honest I would haaaapppply pay a million dollars to get anything back I just more less feel like it’s bogus??!!

Post a reply to: Stem Cells Reversing Paralysis?

The Latest