Rynos workouts

surfdunn
Posts
85
Joined
12/2/2010
Location
Southern, NJ, USA
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2013 5:11pm
So i seen the video on Racer X the other day on some of Ryno's workouts and all I can say is wow. I can only imagine trying to do some of that stuff in a regular gym and getting stares the whole time. Anyone have his Institute video and if you do is it mostly on riding style or more workout related
One from Ken blocks workout.
https://youtu.be/N4RK9SMFSY8
|
bd
Posts
6055
Joined
4/6/2007
Location
Las Vegas, NV, USA
4/17/2011 6:19pm
Watched the youtube is all I can say, "wow!" I agree with Ryno's nutrition and work outs. All organic. My diet is currently "raw, local, organic" veggies and wild fish. I take a whey protein. However I use one of the cleanest whey proteins that you can buy. My perfect shake:

The Ultimate Protein Shake: 1 Scoop of Proventive "Harmonized Protein" (your choice in flavor), 1 Table Spoon of Organic Cocoa, 1/2 Table Spoon of Organic Maca, 1 scoop of Jarrow Glutamine and Creatine, and 7 drops of Sweet Leaf Stevia (your choice in flavor). Add 1 tablespoon of organic Coconut Oil to make the drink a meal replacement. I have eliminated sugars, heavy metals. The protein is whey. However, there is no antibiotic & rBGH. The glutamine and creatine are vegan. If you are on a raw or vegan diet, substitute the whey protein with hemp or rice protein.

http://livesuperfoods.com/raw-cacao-powder.html -benefits of raw cocoa

http://livesuperfoods.com/raw-foods/superfood-powders/maca-powder.html -benefits of Maca

http://livesuperfoods.com/raw-foods/coconut/premium-raw-virgin-coconut-… -benefits of Coconut Oil

I would love to hear Ryno's mission on fitness.
Xeno
Posts
3742
Joined
12/30/2010
Location
San Clemente, CA, USA
4/17/2011 6:46pm
1. The Ryno workout posted on RacerX is full of great advice. Be careful swinging kettle bells if you have joint or back problems.

2. That shake sounds good. I like to add a carb like simple maltodextrin (corn). I use orgnaic coconut milk that comes in a tin can- but it spoils fast (even in the frige). Also, I take creatine in cycles and it does contribute to arm pump when I moto real hard.
Socia
Posts
107
Joined
3/27/2010
Location
Tyler, TX, USA
4/17/2011 8:27pm

The Shop

Robmx522
Posts
424
Joined
2/2/2007
Location
Maryville, TN, USA
4/17/2011 8:54pm
where did mr hughes get his degree?
4/17/2011 9:50pm
Robmx522 wrote:
where did mr hughes get his degree?
Probably a certification of some sort, if anything.

It's amazing some of the garbage exercises trainers have their clients do.
Mod Killer
Posts
1827
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Worldwide, CA, USA
4/17/2011 10:32pm
ryno's supplement line is as quality a product as it gets. the guy reads constantly about nutrition and health. the guy is a wealth of real knowledge.
CR250Rider
Posts
6706
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Moses Lake, WA, USA
4/17/2011 11:16pm
doing math while he's juggling AND on the skate board thingy....makes my head hurt
wow123
Posts
1162
Joined
4/27/2010
Location
AX
4/18/2011 6:43am
Great stuff there but imo swimming 4 different strokes with proper technique covers so much.

Some of that imo is to relieve the boredom of heavy ongoing training.

For most people you've got to find the path of least resistance, ie something that can be done regularly and easily,
meaning (not time consuming or requires all sorts of equipment/places to do)

S'all good stay fit
downandup
Posts
1241
Joined
5/24/2010
Location
In A Cave, CA, USA
4/18/2011 8:28am
Ryno has found a great niche, but this seems impossible to do on your own for any length of time. This type of training is suited for a personal trainer to motivate you or there is no way one can stay on it. Tough, tough, tough. Plus, this organic thing? It still hasn't been "proven" that organic is any better for you, at least that I am aware of.
Sandberm
Posts
5845
Joined
3/27/2009
Location
Pasco, WA, USA
4/18/2011 8:39am
Interesting workout in that racerx vid but the jumping with weights stuff looks hard on the joints. I understand it promotes balance, explosive strength etc...but still it looks hard on the joints.
Camp332
Posts
8760
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Zoo Jersey, USA
4/18/2011 8:46am
bd wrote:
Watched the youtube is all I can say, "wow!" I agree with Ryno's nutrition and work outs. All organic. My diet is currently "raw, local, organic"...
Watched the youtube is all I can say, "wow!" I agree with Ryno's nutrition and work outs. All organic. My diet is currently "raw, local, organic" veggies and wild fish. I take a whey protein. However I use one of the cleanest whey proteins that you can buy. My perfect shake:

The Ultimate Protein Shake: 1 Scoop of Proventive "Harmonized Protein" (your choice in flavor), 1 Table Spoon of Organic Cocoa, 1/2 Table Spoon of Organic Maca, 1 scoop of Jarrow Glutamine and Creatine, and 7 drops of Sweet Leaf Stevia (your choice in flavor). Add 1 tablespoon of organic Coconut Oil to make the drink a meal replacement. I have eliminated sugars, heavy metals. The protein is whey. However, there is no antibiotic & rBGH. The glutamine and creatine are vegan. If you are on a raw or vegan diet, substitute the whey protein with hemp or rice protein.

http://livesuperfoods.com/raw-cacao-powder.html -benefits of raw cocoa

http://livesuperfoods.com/raw-foods/superfood-powders/maca-powder.html -benefits of Maca

http://livesuperfoods.com/raw-foods/coconut/premium-raw-virgin-coconut-… -benefits of Coconut Oil

I would love to hear Ryno's mission on fitness.
Creatine gives me arm pump.
Mod Killer
Posts
1827
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Worldwide, CA, USA
4/18/2011 9:36am Edited Date/Time 4/18/2011 9:41am
downandup wrote:
Ryno has found a great niche, but this seems impossible to do on your own for any length of time. This type of training is suited...
Ryno has found a great niche, but this seems impossible to do on your own for any length of time. This type of training is suited for a personal trainer to motivate you or there is no way one can stay on it. Tough, tough, tough. Plus, this organic thing? It still hasn't been "proven" that organic is any better for you, at least that I am aware of.
proven?

a small understanding of biology, chemistry, and horticulture is all the proof you need.

if you really want a simple explanation or breakdown, i will type it out if i have too.
4/18/2011 9:49am
I'd imagine a routine involving riding a unicycle would make you sweat as well, but it's not the route I'd take.

Trying to find the study I was reading a couple weeks ago that found the bosu ball and balance board workouts had no real benefit to stabilizer muscles.
Zildjian
Posts
267
Joined
6/28/2009
Location
Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
4/18/2011 10:05am
I'd imagine a routine involving riding a unicycle would make you sweat as well, but it's not the route I'd take. Trying to find the study...
I'd imagine a routine involving riding a unicycle would make you sweat as well, but it's not the route I'd take.

Trying to find the study I was reading a couple weeks ago that found the bosu ball and balance board workouts had no real benefit to stabilizer muscles.
Study or no study, doing balance exercises definitely without any question improves my balance, very noticeable. Shocking, I know. Wink
Camp332
Posts
8760
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Zoo Jersey, USA
4/18/2011 10:08am
I skateboard, mountain bike, and hit the weights for my training. Sikk, I know!
MB6
Posts
118
Joined
3/8/2011
Location
Fillmore, CA, USA
4/18/2011 2:26pm
Insanity's better...lol
raddad
Posts
2286
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Wrenshall, MN, USA
4/18/2011 2:35pm
I do a total Russian Kettle Bell work out as a base program with a few of the things Ryno does along with some other things that my personal trainer provides me including balance workouts. The KB workouts are fantastic and pure flat ass torture!~!!~ If i didn't race there is no way i would do KB's at the high level i do them now. Its that hard.. BUT i can easily get through two classes/4 motos each Sunday with barely a sweat and yes i ride as hard as i can in my class's 40 and 45B and finish in front most of the time. Before KB's i could barely make a moto..I'm going to be 59 this summer.
4/18/2011 3:01pm
Had this article saved in my Favorites.

I'll keep digging. Author is a certified CSCS.


Training Disasters
by Tony Gentilcore

Training for the Circus

If I never see a BOSU ball again or any other device used for unstable surface training, I would die a happy man. Unless you're training to be part of the circus, I really feel that these foo-foo pieces of equipment have no place in a healthy individual's training program.


I hear a lot of personal trainers tout that using unstable surfaces is great for "functional training." The phrase functional training has gotten a bit skewed as of late, and I think that people have forgotten what the true definition is in the first place. For me, functional training entails anything that improves a real life quality or function.

Examples include: squatting down to pick something up off the floor, walking up a flight of stairs, or drop kicking dumb personal trainers.

Functional training should entail exercises and movements that help to improve everyday life events. Standing with one leg on a BOSU ball while doing arm curls with one arm and holding a body-blade in the other does not constitute as "functional."


Conversely, it does constitute being a complete waste of time. [Side Note: there's some research which shows that unstable surface training is beneficial for people coming off of severe ankle sprains, but as I alluded above, for healthy individuals, it's just not worth the time.]

Trust me, your time can be better spent sticking to the basics if you want to lose fat or get stronger in the gym: squats, deadlifts, various lunges, bench presses, chin-ups, rows, etc. These are the staples. If someone can't even do a regular squat with correct form on a stable surface (the floor), why would I want to put him or her on an unstable surface? It doesn't make sense. In the end, all they'll be doing is promoting a faulty motor pattern, which could possibly predispose them to injury down the road.


By training on an unstable surface you're shooting yourself in the foot in a few ways.

1. You'll burn fewer calories. You won't be able to use nearly as much weight on an unstable surface as you would on a stable surface performing the same exercise. Burning calories (and hence, fat) is all about progressive resistance/overload (stressing the body). BOSU balls and the like are inferior in this regard.

2. You will actually make yourself weaker. Gaining strength is all about force production (i.e. being able to transfer force from the ground up). By training on an unstable surface, you're promoting "leaks" and really limiting the amount of force you can generate in any given exercise. For athletes, this is crucial.

Additionally, unstable surface training undermines all three phases of the stretch-shortening cycle (SSC), especially the amortization phase. Using devices such as BOSU balls actually delays the amortization phase. From an athletic standpoint, one seeks to minimize this phase as much as possible to prevent loss of a significant amount of the energy accumulated and stored as a result of the preloading (eccentric) phase.

3. Core Strength? Please don't be that person who claims that unstable surface training is great for training the core. I can have someone do the same movement on a stable surface and activate the "core" just as much.

4. Safety. On more than one occasion I've seen people fall and injure themselves while performing exercises on an unstable surface. For example, squatting on a SWISS ball. Every time I see someone attempt this, I cringe. Free-weight exercises have been proven safe when performed on stable surfaces, but there isn't much data out there which showcases the efficacy of unstable surface training in regards to safety.

In the end, I just don't think training on unstable surfaces is worth it. Again, if you're training for the circus they're great! However, I feel that people would be much better served steering clear of them in the long run.


http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do;jsessionid=AEC6359DE4012AC457B847749813B1D4.hydra?id=17852785278

Page 2
4/18/2011 3:07pm
I prefer 6 packs of beer.
sxf138
Posts
637
Joined
3/30/2010
Location
Lake Forest, CA, USA
4/18/2011 3:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2011 3:21pm
Had this article saved in my Favorites. I'll keep digging. Author is a certified CSCS. [quote] Training Disasters by Tony Gentilcore Training for the Circus If...
Had this article saved in my Favorites.

I'll keep digging. Author is a certified CSCS.


Training Disasters
by Tony Gentilcore

Training for the Circus

If I never see a BOSU ball again or any other device used for unstable surface training, I would die a happy man. Unless you're training to be part of the circus, I really feel that these foo-foo pieces of equipment have no place in a healthy individual's training program.


I hear a lot of personal trainers tout that using unstable surfaces is great for "functional training." The phrase functional training has gotten a bit skewed as of late, and I think that people have forgotten what the true definition is in the first place. For me, functional training entails anything that improves a real life quality or function.

Examples include: squatting down to pick something up off the floor, walking up a flight of stairs, or drop kicking dumb personal trainers.

Functional training should entail exercises and movements that help to improve everyday life events. Standing with one leg on a BOSU ball while doing arm curls with one arm and holding a body-blade in the other does not constitute as "functional."


Conversely, it does constitute being a complete waste of time. [Side Note: there's some research which shows that unstable surface training is beneficial for people coming off of severe ankle sprains, but as I alluded above, for healthy individuals, it's just not worth the time.]

Trust me, your time can be better spent sticking to the basics if you want to lose fat or get stronger in the gym: squats, deadlifts, various lunges, bench presses, chin-ups, rows, etc. These are the staples. If someone can't even do a regular squat with correct form on a stable surface (the floor), why would I want to put him or her on an unstable surface? It doesn't make sense. In the end, all they'll be doing is promoting a faulty motor pattern, which could possibly predispose them to injury down the road.


By training on an unstable surface you're shooting yourself in the foot in a few ways.

1. You'll burn fewer calories. You won't be able to use nearly as much weight on an unstable surface as you would on a stable surface performing the same exercise. Burning calories (and hence, fat) is all about progressive resistance/overload (stressing the body). BOSU balls and the like are inferior in this regard.

2. You will actually make yourself weaker. Gaining strength is all about force production (i.e. being able to transfer force from the ground up). By training on an unstable surface, you're promoting "leaks" and really limiting the amount of force you can generate in any given exercise. For athletes, this is crucial.

Additionally, unstable surface training undermines all three phases of the stretch-shortening cycle (SSC), especially the amortization phase. Using devices such as BOSU balls actually delays the amortization phase. From an athletic standpoint, one seeks to minimize this phase as much as possible to prevent loss of a significant amount of the energy accumulated and stored as a result of the preloading (eccentric) phase.

3. Core Strength? Please don't be that person who claims that unstable surface training is great for training the core. I can have someone do the same movement on a stable surface and activate the "core" just as much.

4. Safety. On more than one occasion I've seen people fall and injure themselves while performing exercises on an unstable surface. For example, squatting on a SWISS ball. Every time I see someone attempt this, I cringe. Free-weight exercises have been proven safe when performed on stable surfaces, but there isn't much data out there which showcases the efficacy of unstable surface training in regards to safety.

In the end, I just don't think training on unstable surfaces is worth it. Again, if you're training for the circus they're great! However, I feel that people would be much better served steering clear of them in the long run.


http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do;jsessionid=AEC6359DE4012AC457B847749813B1D4.hydra?id=17852785278

Page 2
It seems to me that this article is based around the idea of burning calories, and gaining muscle. Ryno's workouts are not designed to burn calories nor are any other pro riders plans.... Plus this is only one guys opinion, I feel that if you were to consult many of the pro trainers they would beg to differ. Training in a proprioceptive rich enviroment is a huge part in every riders program.
MBBadgers
Posts
1173
Joined
10/6/2010
Location
Madison, WI, USA
4/18/2011 3:18pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2011 3:20pm
sxf138 wrote:
It seems to me that this article is based around the idea of burning calories, and gaining muscle. Ryno's workouts are not designed to burn calories...
It seems to me that this article is based around the idea of burning calories, and gaining muscle. Ryno's workouts are not designed to burn calories nor are any other pro riders plans.... Plus this is only one guys opinion, I feel that if you were to consult many of the pro trainers they would beg to differ. Training in a proprioceptive rich enviroment is a huge part in every riders program.
Exactly and I bet most of the trainers would tell you they come up with all types of working out techniques because when it comes right down to it, working out is boring. So trainers throw in road bikes, running, weights, maybe even a unicycle, anything to keep it fun and keep these guys focused on training regardless of what it is. Oh and Hansen is a prime example, he skateboards, rides his bmx bike, use to road bike a little not sure if he still does, anything to break up the monotony.
4/18/2011 3:28pm
Fair enough.

Joe Defranco, one of the top NFL combine prep guys around:

You must remember that squatting, deadlifting, lunging, strongman training, sprinting, etc., all build real functional strength in your abs! These are the types of exercises that build the foundation for our athletes’ abdominal training. We will usually throw in some direct abdominal work in the form of high-rep ab circuits or standing, weighted abdominal training twice a week. This combination has worked extremely well for our athletes. To me, these activities are FAR superior compared to kneeling on a beach ball with your eyes closed. With that being said, “core” training using Bosu balls and wobble boards definitely has it’s place; but in my opinion, that “place” is in the rehab setting – NOT with healthy athletes looking to improve strength and performance.

Ask Joe
Sherwood
Posts
3682
Joined
5/12/2010
Location
USA
4/18/2011 3:30pm
He can help you unlock your hips.
Xeno
Posts
3742
Joined
12/30/2010
Location
San Clemente, CA, USA
4/18/2011 3:43pm
I had to look this one up:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Proprioception
(pronounced /ˌproʊpri.ɵˈsɛpʃən/ PRO-pree-o-SEP-shən), from Latin proprius, meaning "one's own" and perception, is the sense of the relative position of neighbouring parts of the body.[1] Unlike the exteroceptive senses, by which we perceive the outside world, and interoceptive senses, by which we perceive the pain and movement of internal organs, proprioception is a third distinct sensory modality that provides feedback solely on the status of the body internally. It is the sense that indicates whether the body is moving with the required effort, as well as where the various parts of the body are located in relation to each other.
MB6
Posts
118
Joined
3/8/2011
Location
Fillmore, CA, USA
4/18/2011 3:45pm
people go download the insanity workout torrent...its a perfect workout for moto, its intense interval training, helps with flexibility, balance, LEGS, and a little core and upperbody. it pretty much covers everything very well. in my opinion its PERFECT for moto. definitely check it out if your looking for a solid workout program.
Mstock
Posts
2044
Joined
9/14/2010
Location
Middleton, WI, USA
4/18/2011 3:47pm
I prefer 6 packs of beer.
I have 2 questions. How many reps? Who makes organic beer?
sxf138
Posts
637
Joined
3/30/2010
Location
Lake Forest, CA, USA
4/18/2011 3:51pm
Fair enough. Joe Defranco, one of the top NFL combine prep guys around: [quote]You must remember that squatting, deadlifting, lunging, strongman training, sprinting, etc., all build...
Fair enough.

Joe Defranco, one of the top NFL combine prep guys around:

You must remember that squatting, deadlifting, lunging, strongman training, sprinting, etc., all build real functional strength in your abs! These are the types of exercises that build the foundation for our athletes’ abdominal training. We will usually throw in some direct abdominal work in the form of high-rep ab circuits or standing, weighted abdominal training twice a week. This combination has worked extremely well for our athletes. To me, these activities are FAR superior compared to kneeling on a beach ball with your eyes closed. With that being said, “core” training using Bosu balls and wobble boards definitely has it’s place; but in my opinion, that “place” is in the rehab setting – NOT with healthy athletes looking to improve strength and performance.

Ask Joe
I will point out one flaw with this quote, which is that it is referencing to the NFL. NFL vs. Moto.... they are on two different sides of the spectrum IMO. Here is my counter argument, and yes, while this is only one "opinion" Tim and Seiji are one of the best. Please read

http://www.racerxvt.com/virtual_trainer/keep_rubber_side_down.html
The Universe
Posts
621
Joined
3/12/2011
Location
Bellingham, WA, USA
4/18/2011 4:40pm
downandup wrote:
Ryno has found a great niche, but this seems impossible to do on your own for any length of time. This type of training is suited...
Ryno has found a great niche, but this seems impossible to do on your own for any length of time. This type of training is suited for a personal trainer to motivate you or there is no way one can stay on it. Tough, tough, tough. Plus, this organic thing? It still hasn't been "proven" that organic is any better for you, at least that I am aware of.
Mod Killer wrote:
proven? a small understanding of biology, chemistry, and horticulture is all the proof you need. if you really want a simple explanation or breakdown, i will...
proven?

a small understanding of biology, chemistry, and horticulture is all the proof you need.

if you really want a simple explanation or breakdown, i will type it out if i have too.
Wow, a scientific triple threat. I'm interested in you typing out your understanding of biology, chemistry, and horticulture. Break it down for us.

Post a reply to: Rynos workouts

The Latest