Roost Protectors

v1rus99
Posts
369
Joined
7/30/2008
Location
Perth, AU
Edited Date/Time 1/21/2012 11:49am
I know that many guys prefer not to wear "roost" protectors. I have been wearing them since the age of 5 and swear by them. I don't even feel comfortable riding without them.

Any views.
|
NB304
Posts
166
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Jackson, MI, USA
9/3/2008 4:49am
I wish i would have put my full chest protector on this weekend when i got ripped off my bike by a tree. My little roost protector didn't do much for my sholder and it still hurts.
davis224
Posts
7581
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Cornland, IL, USA
Fantasy
9/3/2008 5:04am
If only nerd still posted here...
9/3/2008 7:25am
i wear mine without a doubt! i have a Fox AirFrame becuz down here in Texas its friggin HOT so i wanted one that had some decent venting to it... but im looking at replacing mine with Fox's new Race Frame as it looks like it has better venting to it...

The Shop

fcr
Posts
9348
Joined
12/1/2006
Location
Monkeys Eyebrow, YE
9/3/2008 8:18am
I just started wearing one last year. They don't offer any shoulder protection for falls. As far as roost goes they are adequate.
ProMed
Posts
2947
Joined
9/11/2006
Location
São Paulo, BR
9/3/2008 8:20am
RXR v1.0 here, I dig it.
davis224
Posts
7581
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Cornland, IL, USA
Fantasy
9/3/2008 8:30am
Getting back to the old argument about these, Nerd said that they didn't stop you from getting hurt in a crash in all situations, so he didn't wear one. My argument (along with many other people) was that it may not be designed to stop a footpeg or prevent injury, but it does help a lot or prevent it in many cases. If it saves a footpeg from gutting you one time, why not wear it? It's saved my back from getting completely ripped apart by a rear wheel before. Would it do it in all scenarios? No, but it did that time, so that's why it's smart to wear one.
Moto East Mag
Posts
3462
Joined
9/4/2006
Location
Arlington, VA, USA
9/3/2008 8:35am
I wear the Answer under-jersey protector. I race rocky tracks with a lot of 450s and the roost is unbelievable. It's like a cannon spitting dirt and rocks at you. it works pretty well.
I got run over by a 450 at the LL qualifier and with a plastic protector I might not have that nice scar on my shoulderblade right now, though.
SweetDaddy
Posts
654
Joined
11/21/2006
Location
Orlando, FL, USA
9/3/2008 9:19am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 8:18pm
I'm glad I was wearing mine last sunday when I crashed and landed on my back!

The Rock
Posts
8758
Joined
3/21/2007
Location
HAIKU, HI, USA
9/3/2008 9:27pm
i wear mine without a doubt! i have a Fox AirFrame becuz down here in Texas its friggin HOT so i wanted one that had some...
i wear mine without a doubt! i have a Fox AirFrame becuz down here in Texas its friggin HOT so i wanted one that had some decent venting to it... but im looking at replacing mine with Fox's new Race Frame as it looks like it has better venting to it...
Do you soak your jersey with water before you go out?

Promed's parents didn't raise no dummy, he's rolling with the RXR! I started back riding this summer and now swear by the RXR. It was in the upper nineties each time I rode but I soaked my jersey with ice water out of the cooler and was styling for the fifteen to twenty minute motos I was riding.

BTW, best part of the RXR in addition to the superior protection is you don't even know you have it on. I can't say the same thing about the shells I raced in for twenty years.
The Rock
Posts
8758
Joined
3/21/2007
Location
HAIKU, HI, USA
9/3/2008 9:29pm
SweetDaddy wrote:
I'm glad I was wearing mine last sunday when I crashed and landed on my back!
I'm glad I was wearing mine last sunday when I crashed and landed on my back!

I'm looking forward to the day this type of protection is mandatory.
redrider111
Posts
1031
Joined
2/17/2008
Location
Oceanside, CA, USA
9/3/2008 9:43pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2008 9:43pm
I LOVE mine. I have the Thor Sentinel and it is soo comfortable. It fits perfectly with my Leatt Brace also. I've worn a chest protector ever since i started riding, like 10 years ago. I will never ride without one. I would feel kinda naked without one. haha
9/3/2008 10:42pm
The Rock wrote:
Do you soak your jersey with water before you go out? Promed's parents didn't raise no dummy, he's rolling with the RXR! I started back riding...
Do you soak your jersey with water before you go out?

Promed's parents didn't raise no dummy, he's rolling with the RXR! I started back riding this summer and now swear by the RXR. It was in the upper nineties each time I rode but I soaked my jersey with ice water out of the cooler and was styling for the fifteen to twenty minute motos I was riding.

BTW, best part of the RXR in addition to the superior protection is you don't even know you have it on. I can't say the same thing about the shells I raced in for twenty years.
by the time i get my bike unloaded it is soaked...LOL but what i usually do is take some towels that i can keep to soak with ice cold water to put on my head and back when i get in from a moto....
9/3/2008 10:56pm
We both wear them. No, they won't prevent all injuries, but every little bit helps. I wear a Fox Airframe, and he wears a Thor Quadrant with an under jersey protector as well.
9/4/2008 12:09am
The thor armor thats attached to a jersey and you wear under your riding shirt looks like it would be good, it includes a spine protector like road racers use.

The Rock- You have to wear a chest pro to race over here in NZ -its regulation.

Post a reply to: Roost Protectors

The Latest