Ridingn within your limits.

Hank_Thrill
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 8:09pm
Today I went riding motocross with my friends. As usual, I was criticized and looked down upon, for not jumping the bigger jumps while my buddies had quickly adapted to a track that was new to us (I eventually jumped it after I knew I could do it). On the way home, my friend who overshot a berm and crashed into a pond kept telling me I could be going so much faster than I am right now. He did not say this to imply riding over my head; he said it because of my background riding bmx and mountain biking. Apparently, another friend that came to watch said to another spectator, “out of those three guy out there right now, the one out there with the most talent is riding the most conservative.” Was that a good thing, or was it a bad thing?

On the way home, I thought about whether or not I was really pushing it? I thought to myself, “Maybe they are right, maybe I can ride faster than I am right now?” After talking to another friend – one that is a little older and a little wiser – he reminded that my number one concern was to not get hurt.

After reading the thread about pain killer addictions and chronic health problems due to motocross (from this site), I have been wondering: why are so many riders getting hurt? Well… obviously, there are a lot of factors that go into this equation; but one of those factors tends to be a cultural sociological factor, and one many people passively adopt with out given any critical thought.

In our society, men are supposed to be macho, display maleness, be better than, and never ever at any cost display any sign of weakness. Nobody wants to be remembered as the “pussy” but rather the guy with “balls.” A term I hear repeatedly throughout the day out on the track. Unfortunately, most riders either fall into either category.

However, I have a different way of looking at it though. I don’t think a rider should try and jump a jump because his friends want him to: I think a rider should jump a jump when he or she is ready to. There’s a reason why the top riders in the world have made it to where they are at today, and it’s not from riding beyond their limits.

I think many riders today - on the local level - listen to their friend’s too much. Listen to yourself – no one else! Think with your big head, instead of your little head's companions! And it’s better to be a pussy and not spend five months off the bike paying hospital (which would be time you could actually be riding), than to prove to your riding buddies you were born with a pair of testicles.

The point is, there are a lot of macho cultural attitudes that surround us out on the track and influence our decisions in the way we make choices on the bike - be aware of them…

p.s.

God Bless the guy that crashed in Bercy tonight.
|
11/21/2010 12:43am
After every ride, I always think that I could of gone faster here and there, but then also think I could of crashed here and there.

I totally agree with your point of listening to yourself, no point trying things your aren't comfortable with
Preset
11/21/2010 12:51am
Given the choice between riding over my head and riding within my limits I will choose the latter and enjoy it for longer.
Adam43
11/21/2010 1:11am
You make an excellent point, and unfortunately most people in this sport aren't bright enough to realize it.

I always make it a point to try and make time where if I wreck, I'm not going to get hurt. If a jump is built well this is almost never a problem, but we all know that's not the case.

There are some goofy fucking tracks out there, and some things should not be attempted unless you are 100% comfortable.
11/21/2010 2:29am Edited Date/Time 11/21/2010 2:33am
Really though, while I fully agree with NOT riding over your head, we all have to take risks if we want to do this sport. And sometimes the line between those two becomes blurred.

You're never going to be 100% comfortable jumping a big table or a big double etc if you haven't jumped it before. Some jumps or obstacles may never be easy, no matter how many times you do them.

When you go out and race, you try a bit harder, you ride a bit faster.... whatever you call it, you're essentially just taking more risks. But it has to be that way. The aim of the sport is to go round the track as fast as you can. There you go...

What it comes down to is "attempting" to ride within your limits the best you can and only taking acceptable risks. This not only includes riding within and recognising your limits as much as possible, but also includes riding at sensible tracks with well built obstacles, good marshalling, sessions if it's crowded, taking care of yourself with regular bike maintenance and high quality safety gear. And of course NEVER ever ride alone.

The Shop

Hank_Thrill
11/21/2010 3:16am
Adam43, you make a great point about tracks. The track I went to day was a new one, and the first jumps the man has built I believe. The take off resembled stuff from the late 1980's early 1990's with the seat aggressive take offs, that really don't feel that smooth, and are really steep. My front end would buck up sometimes and my rear end would come up. It was just really inconsistent.

Motocross83, you have a great point also. I typed this just thinking about riding motocross. I haven't raced since I've had a bike the past two years (did fifteen years ago), and that's one reason I haven't raced so far: no insurance, and I don't want to get out on a track with a bunch of guys who are going to be taking more risks than normal, especially beginners who can easily be influenced by their peers to be more prone to ride over their head.
kardy
11/21/2010 4:47am
Riding over your head on a regular basis results in being addicted to pain meds after the inevitable series of crashes which forces you to quit riding altogether. Knowing that you "went for it" (and made your buddies happy) while in the depths of a withdrawal episode will be of little consolation when you're up for the 7th night in a row...
11/21/2010 4:48am
I disagree.

You won't improve if you don't ride slightly beyond your ability. Keep pushing hard and that's how you get faster.

Just ask Doug Henry. That's how he got faster.
mx-4-2
11/21/2010 4:57am
Hank - I am where you are on knowing your limits. I picked up this sport to ride/race with my son two years ago. Now at 42, my priorities are ensuring I can go to work on Monday morning to provide for my family and pay for my hobbies vs trying to finish 1 or 2 spots better.

Earlier this summer, while working with my son on hitting a new double, he was not comfortable with the jump yet was working to it down on a regular basis. He ended up crashing and breaking his shoulder and foot. As a result we had lot's of doctors bills and several weeks off the bike.

Accidents are part of our sport, but in the two years I have been riding, the number of kids and adults hauled / airlifted from the track is really shocking. For me, the emphasis is have fun first and let the speed come as it will.

As a father / son sport, mx is great. We both have some fantasic memories already and more to come. The times we have been in the ER or Dr's office as you would expect are not top of that list.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
11/21/2010 5:28am
This topic hits home. I always told myself I was too smart for my own good when it comes to this sport. After gettign hurt on a larger jump I just couldn't get the nerve to jump stuff with steep faces or blind landings. Because of this I compensated by increasing my corner speed and this allowed me to be able to win local races in the B class but kept me from moving to A class as I felt I would just be in the way. I now just ride at tracks I'm comfortable at, and it doesn't matter much as I'm almost 40 years old, so aspirations of being fast are done, but I often wonder what could of been if I could just get myself to hold it on all the way up the face of bigger jumps...
Towelie
11/21/2010 5:52am
speed comes from having the proper technique, fitness and being relaxed on the bike. If you have to "push" to go fast and it wears you out, you are simply riding over your head. As for jumping, the truth is any idiot can pin it and fly over a jump, the question is; Do you know how to fly the bike>? Can you make the bike change pitches in the air? correct if it slips sideways? These are the things that make jumping safer. I've stopped hitting the 100 footers, my friends talk shit, but I dont make money doing this and have to work on Monday. A separated shoulder, broken wrist twice, collar bone, need surgery on my rotator cuffs, broke my left foot 3 times, broken right ankle, concussions that get worse every time I have another with memory affects I feel now and moodieness have been enough for me. I guess we all need to be honest with our selves as to just how much were willing to pay for the rush.
fgb729
11/21/2010 6:00am Edited Date/Time 11/21/2010 6:01am
I rode for about 2, 2 and a half years before my first race, I never really pushed my self until I felt comfortable jumping the bigger stuff and i just tried to be as fast as possible in corners. I raced a total of 5 times and got a hurt 3 of the 5 times (Concussion, Broken left leg, and nothing specific but landed really hard on my balls when I ran into a bike that was sideways from a fallen rider through a whoop section) . I just ride for fun now, unfortunately it has only been once in the last few years. So I guess what Im saying is racing does seem to make you try to go faster than you should.
mxman
11/21/2010 8:23am
Alot depends on your age and your responsibilities. 5 years ago I rode as hard as I could and as fast as I could. I crashed and broke 5 ribs, my back, clooar bone and punctured my lung. I was told I was lucky to be walking..... That being said I have 2 kids in college and a job I have to do and be at every Monday. I now ride within my limits or I should say comfort zone. I don't jump something until I am more than 100% comfortable.

All that being said I ride every Saturday with a group of guys and we all watch out for each and make sure we are all riding safetly. I am not as fast as I was nor can I keep up with some of the guys I used to be able to pass easily. However, I am having more fun and haven't have any serious injuries. I'd like to be faster again but the risk and cost is too high.

Ride within your limits and ride another day.
KAWboy14
11/21/2010 8:32am
"my number one concern was to not get hurt."

your number one concern should be to have fun! not getting hurt adds to the fun!

those other guys your riding with will turn pro in a couple years so they should be riding over their heads Smile
Hank_Thrill
11/21/2010 1:49pm
KAWboy14 wrote:
[b]"my number one concern was to not get hurt."[/b] your number one concern should be to have fun! not getting hurt adds to the fun! those...
"my number one concern was to not get hurt."

your number one concern should be to have fun! not getting hurt adds to the fun!

those other guys your riding with will turn pro in a couple years so they should be riding over their heads Smile
Well that came out of my friend's mouth who went to spectate, but he is right. I'd rather not get hurt than have fun. I can always have fun riding some other day, but I can't afford to be hurt right now (work, school, no insurance at the moment).

I'm glad others somewhat enjoyed the topic. I wrote this completely hammered last night lol which is part of the reason I totally didn't take racing into considering.

I agree, you must push your limits to get faster; however, there is a difference in pushing your limits and ignorantly riding beyond your limits. I believe professionals are great at this balancing act. From all the experience they know what they can and can't do, and for the most part, that allows them to stay healthy. Heck, I remember a lot of SX races (atlanta '07) for example where Carmichael wouldn't do some of the rhythm combos James was doing because he trusted his gut.

This past summer my friend was trying to get me to jump a little creek jump on a cross country trail. I wasn't 100% comfortable with it for some weird reason, and so I told him about not having insurance, and not being able to afford another 10,000 dollar hospital bill.

A few weeks later he was riding over (as he openly admits) his head racing a friend and hit the creek jump, overshot a turn and crashed into some trees. Now he's off the bike for 9 months, but thankfully he was native American which saved him probably $100,000k in hospital bills. Now he wishes he would have been riding within his limits. I always over emphasized to him about trusting your gut feelings (which from a psychological point of view is your sub-conscious processing). If you're afraid of a jump, there's a damn good reason you are.

Outsider
11/21/2010 1:51pm
"Spelling within your limits" is also a good idea.
Hank_Thrill
11/21/2010 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2012 8:23pm
Outsider wrote:
"Spelling within your limits" is also a good idea.
Hey man, cut me some slack!
Outsider
11/21/2010 2:02pm
Hey man, cut me some slack!
lol. Impressive drunken post for sure! Just messin with ya.

Calimxr91 is jealous! Wink
Agent717
11/21/2010 2:12pm Edited Date/Time 11/21/2010 2:13pm
* wrote:
I disagree. You won't improve if you don't ride slightly beyond your ability. Keep pushing hard and that's how you get faster. Just ask Doug Henry...
I disagree.

You won't improve if you don't ride slightly beyond your ability. Keep pushing hard and that's how you get faster.

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds. The man is talking about riding within his limits to avoid injury and you tell him to ask Doug Henry for advice. The dude's in an effing wheel chair.

I prefer to ride well below the "Henry Factor".
staycasted
11/21/2010 2:33pm
Hank was just talking about this topic on the way home today, definitely the best way to go. We all ride for fun, and getting hurt is the farthest thing from fun.
KAWboy14
11/21/2010 2:56pm
* wrote:
I disagree. You won't improve if you don't ride slightly beyond your ability. Keep pushing hard and that's how you get faster. Just ask Doug Henry...
I disagree.

Agent717 wrote:
Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds. The man is talking about riding within his limits to avoid injury and you tell him to ask Doug...
Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds. The man is talking about riding within his limits to avoid injury and you tell him to ask Doug Henry for advice. The dude's in an effing wheel chair.

sarcasm alert.....you may have missed it!
mxmedic
11/21/2010 2:57pm
Let your buddies ridicule and just ignore them, and you can heckle them when they crash from pushing too hard. If you don't feel ready or comfortable with jumping something, then definitely don't push it. Stay within your comfort zone. Sure when you're racing winning is fun, but at the same time, most of us are not going to make careers out of riding mx. I ride for fun. I'm not fast, and I know I could push harder, but I need to be able to go to work to pay for my hobbies. Even though I'm not fast, I can still have fun on the track, and there's lesser of a chance of hurting myself in the process.
englishman
11/21/2010 3:04pm
Hank you HAVE to get insurance man!!!

Yesterday I got the bill for my hospital stay after the first bad crash I've ever had ( been riding since I was 7 , now 43 ) . And , yes, I had plenty of warning I was riding too hard before I finally swapped out in a whoop section and hit the dirt.

4 ribs, Collar bone, puctured lung and internal bleeding which resulted in a 5 day stay in hospital and a FIFTY EIGHT THOUSAND dollar bill - my co pay is $1800.00

Guys, riding without insurance is crazy you should make it a top priority to get coverage.

Oh and that pain pill thread is scaring the living shit out of me too.
Tbteam
11/21/2010 3:16pm
Two weeks ago today I raced my last race, rode for the last time.

I'm healthy and enjoyed riding until my 51st year. I'm a pretty happy guy.
mxb2
11/21/2010 3:24pm
Don t let your buddies talk you into anything your not comfortable doing, bottom line they are not paying your bills and taking care of you, ride within your limits, have fun, And get health insurance ya cheap fuckers! LOL!
Bill_Carroll
Fantasy
745th
11/21/2010 3:31pm Edited Date/Time 11/21/2010 3:58pm
* wrote:
I disagree.

Agent717 wrote:
Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds. The man is talking about riding within his limits to avoid injury and you tell him to ask Doug...

Wished this never came up, DH was a pioneer nothing positive to say? just don't say it.
Without people like Doug Henry where would we be?
perumx
11/21/2010 3:44pm
mxman wrote:
Alot depends on your age and your responsibilities. 5 years ago I rode as hard as I could and as fast as I could. I crashed...
Alot depends on your age and your responsibilities. 5 years ago I rode as hard as I could and as fast as I could. I crashed and broke 5 ribs, my back, clooar bone and punctured my lung. I was told I was lucky to be walking..... That being said I have 2 kids in college and a job I have to do and be at every Monday. I now ride within my limits or I should say comfort zone. I don't jump something until I am more than 100% comfortable.

All that being said I ride every Saturday with a group of guys and we all watch out for each and make sure we are all riding safetly. I am not as fast as I was nor can I keep up with some of the guys I used to be able to pass easily. However, I am having more fun and haven't have any serious injuries. I'd like to be faster again but the risk and cost is too high.

Ride within your limits and ride another day.
Live to ride another day.
Thats how I ride.
burnside
11/21/2010 5:38pm
The best thing about all of the sports you mentioned, Moto/BMX/Mtb - I also grew up riding all three... but the best part is its no ones business what you do. Your paying big bucks to go and have fun for the day, keep it fun!! This isn't a team sport, unless you got some crazy moto-dad no one needs to approve of what you do..
mt798
11/21/2010 5:56pm
I totally rode within my limits today! Rode the 110 in the back yard on my circle 8 track but that dad-gum pecan tree almost got me a few times.
firemedic301
11/21/2010 5:59pm
Sadly enough I have a buddy that would call me a puss for not just "pining it in 3rd' and making this jump or that jump. He rode WAYYYYYYYYYY over his head. I just blew him off and just stopped riding with him. A year later, he crashed and is in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. Moral to the story for me is ride at about 70% and race at 80% of your ability if you are NOT getting paid to race or ride. Good Health is WAYYYYYY better then any bragging rights.

Post a reply to: Ridingn within your limits.

The Latest