ODI grip question

I just bought some lock on grips because I loved the ones that came on my new Ktm. Only problem, I bought renthal twinwalls and the left side of the handle has that cross cut pattern to help hold on grips. When I tried to slide the new grip on it wouldn't even start on, way to right. Don't know what to do now besides go back to the old grip glue which I am so over after seeing the ease of using lock ons.
|
9/23/2016 9:49pm
Had the same issue when i switched to pro taper,i got a file and smoothed down the knurling,take your time and work all the way around until its pretty smooth
mirramaxx
Posts
923
Joined
12/15/2011
Location
USA
9/23/2016 11:57pm
I have odi rouge lock on grips with contour bars and it's a great combo. I used a dremel and sanded the one side down
nascarnate326
Posts
3008
Joined
11/3/2014
Location
Charlotte, MI, USA
9/24/2016 4:31am
Get some sand paper and sand down the knurling of the handle bar. I had to use a hammer to lightly tap my left side grip on.
Thelen20
Posts
2065
Joined
11/28/2009
Location
Marshall, TX, USA
9/24/2016 4:50am
I installed the odi emig lock on grips on my new renthal twinwall's just a couple weeks ago. I was able to get the left side started then hammer it on with a rubber mallet. I might never be able to get it off but I got it on without damaging anything.

The Shop

Madmax31
Posts
2143
Joined
1/7/2009
Location
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Fantasy
9/24/2016 5:13am
I tried tapping it on with a rubber mallet and shattered it. Take your time and sand/file off the bar!

FYI, ODI was so cool they sent me a free pair to replace one I broke. Great company!
pete24
Posts
2733
Joined
10/20/2011
Location
Marlborough, MA, USA
9/24/2016 6:17am
the othe problem with odi grips is that they are very thin if you crash or lay your bike down to wash it the tube they are molded to pokes threw, the grips dont slip but i dont like having th end of my grip ripped
Boarddesign
Posts
1112
Joined
12/13/2010
Location
Fallbrook, CA, USA
9/24/2016 9:51am
I haven't had the problems with ripping, my kid crashes a lot! They typically last 4x longer than standard grips. Coarse sand paper or a little filing will take care of the fit, better to get it down good the first time so it is t difficult to remove them.
MxKing809
Posts
6374
Joined
10/13/2013
Location
Big Sand Whoops, MI, USA
Fantasy
9/24/2016 11:35am
Yup, file it down.

I bought EMIG lock ons.... and fuck me are they firm. I never blister, and those grips game me a dime size blood blister under my riding callus......

The stock KTM lock ons are much softer. I'll be ordering them next time I need grips.
aedwards07
Posts
944
Joined
5/17/2008
Location
st cloud, FL, USA
9/24/2016 12:52pm
I wish they would make them in a similar compound to there pro edition grips aka soft. Such a great idea but they feel like a rock.
9/24/2016 1:09pm
MxKing809 wrote:
Yup, file it down. I bought EMIG lock ons.... and fuck me are they firm. I never blister, and those grips game me a dime size...
Yup, file it down.

I bought EMIG lock ons.... and fuck me are they firm. I never blister, and those grips game me a dime size blood blister under my riding callus......

The stock KTM lock ons are much softer. I'll be ordering them next time I need grips.
That's what I ordered. They are honestly one of my favorite grips ever.
9/24/2016 2:49pm Edited Date/Time 9/24/2016 2:50pm
EMIG grips are made by ODI and are available in softer compounds.
tobz
Posts
3891
Joined
3/5/2007
Location
Adelaide, AU
9/24/2016 4:14pm
On a side note I've just finished installing emig grips on my WR, with what I think is the right throttle cam, but jesus there's some left/right free play on the throttle. Think I'll play around with the other cams and if all else fails I'll go back to genuine Yamaha grips, those things are the bomb!
aedwards07
Posts
944
Joined
5/17/2008
Location
st cloud, FL, USA
9/24/2016 5:48pm
Langhammx wrote:
EMIG grips are made by ODI and are available in softer compounds.
But they are still rock hard compared to there soft pro edition grips
9/24/2016 7:47pm
The newish V2 grips are a big improvement over anything else from ODI.

Post a reply to: ODI grip question

The Latest