Grips

Lechon
Posts
51
Joined
12/29/2008
Location
Corona, CA, USA
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 9:45am
Advice/Tips- on the best way(best glue) to replace grips! Thanks
|
Racer92
Posts
17965
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Central, TX, USA
3/29/2010 11:14am
suzrider982
Posts
275
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Kingston, NY, USA
3/29/2010 11:16am
hairspray also works. In the aerosol can.
70sSuperstar
Posts
193
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Knoxville, TN, USA
3/29/2010 11:28am
2 passes of half lapped friction tape on the bar, spray tape with a little carb cleaner, slip on grip, give it about 5 minutes, no tie wire, shabaamm! been my method for 36 years.
plowboy
Posts
14813
Joined
1/3/2010
Location
Norwich, KS, USA
3/29/2010 11:32am
I don't know the best way...but vasaline makes 'em easy to get on AND off.Sad

The Shop

Torco1
Posts
6585
Joined
4/27/2007
Location
Corona, CA, USA
3/29/2010 11:32am
Spray paint actually works really well. When I use grip glue I still get a lot of grip movement, spray paint makes them stick pretty good.
plowboy
Posts
14813
Joined
1/3/2010
Location
Norwich, KS, USA
3/29/2010 11:36am
I've used the spray paint trick and it works as well as anything. I like really soft grips (Oury) and nothing holds them totally but they wear out so fast it hasn't been an issue.
SteveS
Posts
5598
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
USA
3/29/2010 11:41am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:45pm



rallendude
Posts
2203
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
Adger, AL, USA
3/29/2010 12:52pm
I use clear spray paint and three rows of safety wire.

For removal, if I want to keep the old grips, I use WD-40. Fold the flange back about 3/4" and spray with WD-40. Fold it back into place and work it back and forth with a twisting motion. Then they'll usually slip right off (unless it's a Kawasaki vulcanized on one)

If the old grips aren't worth saving they get the razor knife, split down the middle.
Cody24
Posts
779
Joined
11/15/2009
Location
Bend, OR, USA
3/29/2010 1:03pm
Nothing but air. Only start to twist when its time for new grips anyways...
Lechon
Posts
51
Joined
12/29/2008
Location
Corona, CA, USA
3/29/2010 1:12pm
Very much appreciated !! Thanks
level
Posts
6184
Joined
8/27/2006
Location
Acworth, GA, USA
3/29/2010 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 3/29/2010 1:17pm
Be careful with the razor on the throttle. I cut my plastic throttle tube with the razor removing the grips once. Well maybe twice. Smile

I use grease to put the grips on so it slides right on and it pushes most the grease to the end then wipe it off. Doesn't hurt to add some glue but I've done without it many times. Just started using the safety wire. Depends on how good it grips.
level
Posts
6184
Joined
8/27/2006
Location
Acworth, GA, USA
3/29/2010 1:18pm
2 passes of half lapped friction tape on the bar, spray tape with a little carb cleaner, slip on grip, give it about 5 minutes, no...
2 passes of half lapped friction tape on the bar, spray tape with a little carb cleaner, slip on grip, give it about 5 minutes, no tie wire, shabaamm! been my method for 36 years.
Good idea.
MotoBill51
Posts
203
Joined
11/24/2009
Location
Kronenwetter, WI, USA
3/29/2010 4:06pm
I usually run the softest grip I can buy, and have had trouble with "solvent" type instals - eats right through the grip sometimes. It was always a huge problem for the Renthal Soft Diamond.

I started using plain wal-mart household epoxy - the clear stuff in the "twin" applicator that you squirt out like a hypo. Never had a problem since.

I also got a side bonus on the epoxy deal: I run on the ice in the winter and when (not if) I would fall down the ice would pressure feed itself (from the bar hitting the ice and the bike sliding) between the grip and the bar, all but removing the grip just like I shot the pressure washer in there. Doesn't happen with the epoxy.

Removal is about normal except it takes a bit more to clean up the bar - wire brush in a drill does it fine.
MotoBill51
Posts
203
Joined
11/24/2009
Location
Kronenwetter, WI, USA
3/29/2010 4:08pm
Otherwise the friction tape deal is the clearcatchit. Except on the soft Rentals - the carb cleaner would eat right through if you're not carefull.
Torco1
Posts
6585
Joined
4/27/2007
Location
Corona, CA, USA
3/29/2010 4:10pm
Lechon wrote:
Advice/Tips- on the best way(best glue) to replace grips! Thanks
I just realized that you have a nice ryhme going there.
Blake
Posts
2934
Joined
9/11/2009
Location
USA
3/29/2010 4:59pm
I dont run grips. Too many choices.

Real men use the knurled bar only.

TerryK
Posts
9899
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
CA
3/29/2010 6:08pm
By far the simplest and most effective way is to spray the inside of the grip with BRAKE cleaner (carb cleaner has silicone in it) slam them in place, wait 10 minutes, ride. You can safety wire them if you ride in wet conditions.

Works.
Torco1
Posts
6585
Joined
4/27/2007
Location
Corona, CA, USA
3/29/2010 6:18pm
Blake wrote:
I dont run grips. Too many choices.

Real men use the knurled bar only.

That's a good idea, it probably saves a little weight too.
level
Posts
6184
Joined
8/27/2006
Location
Acworth, GA, USA
3/29/2010 7:16pm
TerryK wrote:
By far the simplest and most effective way is to spray the inside of the grip with BRAKE cleaner (carb cleaner has silicone in it) slam...
By far the simplest and most effective way is to spray the inside of the grip with BRAKE cleaner (carb cleaner has silicone in it) slam them in place, wait 10 minutes, ride. You can safety wire them if you ride in wet conditions.

Works.
Never thought about doing it like that. Lubes it just enough to hurry and slip on then dry's quickly. Thanks for the tip-seems so obvious. I think that's what I am going to do from now on.
Torco1
Posts
6585
Joined
4/27/2007
Location
Corona, CA, USA
3/29/2010 8:35pm
TerryK wrote:
By far the simplest and most effective way is to spray the inside of the grip with BRAKE cleaner (carb cleaner has silicone in it) slam...
By far the simplest and most effective way is to spray the inside of the grip with BRAKE cleaner (carb cleaner has silicone in it) slam them in place, wait 10 minutes, ride. You can safety wire them if you ride in wet conditions.

Works.
level wrote:
Never thought about doing it like that. Lubes it just enough to hurry and slip on then dry's quickly. Thanks for the tip-seems so obvious. I...
Never thought about doing it like that. Lubes it just enough to hurry and slip on then dry's quickly. Thanks for the tip-seems so obvious. I think that's what I am going to do from now on.
x2....I'm going to have to try that.
Mx4life320
Posts
859
Joined
12/5/2007
Location
Lisle, IL, USA
3/29/2010 8:42pm
I have never tried this, but i heard spray paint works well... Spray the inside of the grip and and slide them on.
Lechon
Posts
51
Joined
12/29/2008
Location
Corona, CA, USA
3/29/2010 9:13pm
Thanks..all useful information. My 14 yr old daughter decided that it was time for her to move up from her 85 to my 250. Hence...all the parts and accessories that she's comfortable with has to be replicated with the 250.....starting with the GRIPS of course.
3/29/2010 10:12pm
MotoBill51 wrote:
I usually run the softest grip I can buy, and have had trouble with "solvent" type instals - eats right through the grip sometimes. It was...
I usually run the softest grip I can buy, and have had trouble with "solvent" type instals - eats right through the grip sometimes. It was always a huge problem for the Renthal Soft Diamond.

I started using plain wal-mart household epoxy - the clear stuff in the "twin" applicator that you squirt out like a hypo. Never had a problem since.

I also got a side bonus on the epoxy deal: I run on the ice in the winter and when (not if) I would fall down the ice would pressure feed itself (from the bar hitting the ice and the bike sliding) between the grip and the bar, all but removing the grip just like I shot the pressure washer in there. Doesn't happen with the epoxy.

Removal is about normal except it takes a bit more to clean up the bar - wire brush in a drill does it fine.
Apparently when you run Renthal grips, namely the Soft Diamonds, you have to run the Renthal glue. Anything else is too harsh.

I have always run either Progrip or Pro Taper grips and used the yellow snot looking glue mixed with the Pro Taper super glue. The yellow makes them easy to put on, the PT glue locks them in place.
berno929
Posts
878
Joined
9/29/2009
Location
CA
3/29/2010 10:35pm
I tried something different this week. I used tape that sticks on both sides (made for golf grips) and put some solvent on the outside to slide the grips on the bars... I haven't ridden yet but couldn't get the grips to move.
PaleBlue
Posts
1529
Joined
6/16/2009
Location
Essex, GB
3/30/2010 1:54am
I'v tried pretty much all of the above and the only thing that works consistantly for me is spray auto paint. I always wire the grips up aswell, just incase..

PS Domino grips are the best of the many we've tried - if they're good enough for Valentino...
PaleBlue
Posts
1529
Joined
6/16/2009
Location
Essex, GB
3/30/2010 1:59am Edited Date/Time 3/30/2010 2:00am
whoops!
Top End
Posts
470
Joined
2/28/2010
Location
NOR-CAL, CA, USA
3/30/2010 8:01am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:46pm
I know some of you guys like sniffing glue. Some have hairspray left over from the 80's hair days.



Here you go no glue or wire needed. 100% slip free

http://www.odigrips.com/...hkawsuz2-stroke.aspx



Lechon
Posts
51
Joined
12/29/2008
Location
Corona, CA, USA
3/30/2010 8:43am
Tried the spray paint..... think I missed something. For some reason the geip on the throttle side is still moving. Its been 14 hours. Will probably try brake cleaner if I could save the grip
SteveS
Posts
5598
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
USA
3/30/2010 8:57am
I don't know that spray paint sticks to the plastic they make throttle tubes from.

Post a reply to: Grips

The Latest