GoPro vs. VholdR

noob
Posts
2109
Joined
8/12/2008
Location
Burbank, CA, USA
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 6:22pm
Trying to decide between the GoPro Wide and VholdR Contour HD... I have two specific questions about the GoPro:

1) Battery life - How often do you have to put in fresh alkalines?

2) Low light - Do you have problems getting decent picture when it's cloudy or trail riding through woods?


|
TerryK
Posts
9899
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
CA
6/29/2009 6:51pm
My buddy has the VHoldR and I'm not impressed. Go Pro wide is what I'm buying.
Tbteam
Posts
2869
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Ormond Beach, FL, USA
6/29/2009 7:22pm
i have the Go Pro and The Go Pro Wide. I use Lithiums and get a solid 4 motos out of each set of batteries.
fcr
Posts
9348
Joined
12/1/2006
Location
Monkeys Eyebrow, YE
6/29/2009 7:27pm
Noob, there was a post on here about a small new camera. It seemed pretty good quality. JG had it on during a crash I think. You should check it out also. I will try to find the name.
SPYGUY
Posts
2183
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
USA
6/29/2009 7:32pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:40am
Terry, does your buddy have the regular VholdR or the new Contour HD?

I bought the Contour HD and like it so far.

Reasons why I waited on the Contour HD vs going ahead and getting the GoPro:

On Standard Definition it has a higher resolution & double the frame rate of the GoPro's. On HD it has the same frame rate with more than double the resolution.

Also has the ability to accept larger SD cards (GoPro maxes out at 4gb. Contour maxes out at 16gb.) I like the goggle strap mount, too. Since I do a lot of woods racing, I never felt comfortable trying a GoPro that would stick up 6 inches off the top of my helmet.

The Shop

jtomasik
Posts
12895
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
Golden, CO, USA
6/29/2009 7:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:40am
Does wearing one of those things help out your riding? (by seeing the lines you take, hearing when you accelerate, etc.) I can't see how it would.


I would like someone to film me, so I can see everything I'm doing wrong. I've heard that's a great thing to help your riding...get yourself filmed.
TerryK
Posts
9899
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
CA
6/29/2009 7:40pm
SPYGUY wrote:
Terry, does your buddy have the regular VholdR or the new Contour HD? I bought the Contour HD and like it so far. Reasons why I...
Terry, does your buddy have the regular VholdR or the new Contour HD?

I bought the Contour HD and like it so far.

Reasons why I waited on the Contour HD vs going ahead and getting the GoPro:

On Standard Definition it has a higher resolution & double the frame rate of the GoPro's. On HD it has the same frame rate with more than double the resolution.

Also has the ability to accept larger SD cards (GoPro maxes out at 4gb. Contour maxes out at 16gb.) I like the goggle strap mount, too. Since I do a lot of woods racing, I never felt comfortable trying a GoPro that would stick up 6 inches off the top of my helmet.
I'm not too sure which one but from the sound of the Contour HD, I may be changing my mind on what I buy. Thanks for the info!
noob
Posts
2109
Joined
8/12/2008
Location
Burbank, CA, USA
6/30/2009 7:30am
fcr wrote:
Noob, there was a post on here about a small new camera. It seemed pretty good quality. JG had it on during a crash I think...
Noob, there was a post on here about a small new camera. It seemed pretty good quality. JG had it on during a crash I think. You should check it out also. I will try to find the name.
If you're talking about the Tachyon XC from this thread, the resolution is WAY too low (320X240) unless you run it at less than 30fps (which doesn't make sense for action footage)
noob
Posts
2109
Joined
8/12/2008
Location
Burbank, CA, USA
6/30/2009 7:32am
Tbteam wrote:
i have the Go Pro and The Go Pro Wide. I use Lithiums and get a solid 4 motos out of each set of batteries.
Thanks.

BTW, the holeshot vid you posted in the other thread was rad
noob
Posts
2109
Joined
8/12/2008
Location
Burbank, CA, USA
6/30/2009 7:33am
SPYGUY,

You like the goggle strap mount? Does the camera jiggle on hard landings?
huck
Posts
17042
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Mountain Home, AR, USA
6/30/2009 7:34am
jtomasik wrote:
Does wearing one of those things help out your riding? (by seeing the lines you take, hearing when you accelerate, etc.) I can't see how it...
Does wearing one of those things help out your riding? (by seeing the lines you take, hearing when you accelerate, etc.) I can't see how it would.


I would like someone to film me, so I can see everything I'm doing wrong. I've heard that's a great thing to help your riding...get yourself filmed.
Actually it'll make you sick...having somebody filming your riding that is.
You'll wonder, who is this slow guy on my bike.

fcr
Posts
9348
Joined
12/1/2006
Location
Monkeys Eyebrow, YE
6/30/2009 9:13am
Noob, cyclops cameras.
mx177
Posts
61
Joined
6/16/2009
Location
Longmont, CO, USA
6/30/2009 9:21am
fcr wrote:
Noob, there was a post on here about a small new camera. It seemed pretty good quality. JG had it on during a crash I think...
Noob, there was a post on here about a small new camera. It seemed pretty good quality. JG had it on during a crash I think. You should check it out also. I will try to find the name.
noob wrote:
If you're talking about the Tachyon XC from [url=http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Helmet-Cams,518855]this thread[/url], the resolution is WAY too low (320X240) unless you run it at less than 30fps (which...
If you're talking about the Tachyon XC from this thread, the resolution is WAY too low (320X240) unless you run it at less than 30fps (which doesn't make sense for action footage)
I ended up getting the Tachyon XC.. I have played around with it and the picture qaulity is really good.. I got the 16g card upgrade but they have a 32g. It has 3 different resolution settings. It also came with a side mount that your goggle strap slides into.Seems to be in a strong casing



noob
Posts
2109
Joined
8/12/2008
Location
Burbank, CA, USA
6/30/2009 2:58pm
fcr wrote:
Noob, cyclops cameras.
Thanks, fcr.

Looks like that one could get pricey. They only sell the camera and battery pack - you supply the recording device (and have to wear a backpack?)


I'm just trying to decide if the ContourHD is worth the extra dough. I can get the GoPro + a set of tires for what it would cost for just the ContourHD.
FLmxer
Posts
7313
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
SouthWest, FL, USA
Fantasy
7/2/2009 6:24pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2009 8:51pm
Terry had asked me what one I was using and I could not remember the companies name. I have the Oregon Scientific. It came with a half dozen mounting options and has a really decent picture. I just wish it had a little bit of a wider angle pic. Otherwise I am pretty happy with it.
noob
Posts
2109
Joined
8/12/2008
Location
Burbank, CA, USA
7/2/2009 6:33pm
Well, since you bumped this thread... I ended up ordering the GoPro Wide. The ContourHD still seems like a better camera, but I figured nothing I can do on a scoot is worth seeing in high def, anyways.
Matt Wozney
Posts
2803
Joined
8/26/2006
Location
Clayton, DE, USA
7/2/2009 6:35pm
Go with the GoPro.
The wider angle lens is definitely a plus when positioning the camera.
The quality isn't too bad but overall, the wider degree lens is a plus in my book.
noob
Posts
2109
Joined
8/12/2008
Location
Burbank, CA, USA
7/2/2009 6:36pm
I did. Thanks.
mxaaron
Posts
481
Joined
12/4/2007
Location
Richland, WA, USA
7/2/2009 7:26pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2009 7:28pm
fcr wrote:
Noob, there was a post on here about a small new camera. It seemed pretty good quality. JG had it on during a crash I think...
Noob, there was a post on here about a small new camera. It seemed pretty good quality. JG had it on during a crash I think. You should check it out also. I will try to find the name.
It's the Cyclops, a buddy of ours makes them. I'll see if I cant get the video from this weekend. We ran it two motos in Portland this weekend.. The footage is unreal. It blows that little box camera away.
mxaaron
Posts
481
Joined
12/4/2007
Location
Richland, WA, USA
7/2/2009 7:28pm
fcr wrote:
Noob, cyclops cameras.
noob wrote:
Thanks, fcr. Looks like that one could get pricey. They only sell the camera and battery pack - you supply the recording device (and have to...
Thanks, fcr.

Looks like that one could get pricey. They only sell the camera and battery pack - you supply the recording device (and have to wear a backpack?)


I'm just trying to decide if the ContourHD is worth the extra dough. I can get the GoPro + a set of tires for what it would cost for just the ContourHD.
No, it's all on the goggle strap.
noob
Posts
2109
Joined
8/12/2008
Location
Burbank, CA, USA
7/2/2009 9:28pm
fcr wrote:
Noob, cyclops cameras.
noob wrote:
Thanks, fcr. Looks like that one could get pricey. They only sell the camera and battery pack - you supply the recording device (and have to...
Thanks, fcr.

Looks like that one could get pricey. They only sell the camera and battery pack - you supply the recording device (and have to wear a backpack?)


I'm just trying to decide if the ContourHD is worth the extra dough. I can get the GoPro + a set of tires for what it would cost for just the ContourHD.
mxaaron wrote:
No, it's all on the goggle strap.
But they don't sell the actual recording device, right? Just the camera?



http://www.cyclopscam.com/products.htm
fcr
Posts
9348
Joined
12/1/2006
Location
Monkeys Eyebrow, YE
7/2/2009 9:31pm
I think it is self contained, I could be wrong.
noob
Posts
2109
Joined
8/12/2008
Location
Burbank, CA, USA
7/2/2009 9:31pm
mxaaron wrote:
It's the Cyclops, a buddy of ours makes them. I'll see if I cant get the video from this weekend. We ran it two motos in...
It's the Cyclops, a buddy of ours makes them. I'll see if I cant get the video from this weekend. We ran it two motos in Portland this weekend.. The footage is unreal. It blows that little box camera away.
Their website says it has a 90º lens. The picture quality may kick ass, but I don't see how it could compare to the 130º lens of the ContourHD or 170º with the GoPro?
mxaaron
Posts
481
Joined
12/4/2007
Location
Richland, WA, USA
7/2/2009 9:32pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:43am
The one that we use has the cyclops cam, with a tiny SD card camcorder. The cam goes on the side of the goggle strap, and the camcorder is attached on the back of the goggle strap. It has a mud cover too, so it doesn't get f-ed up.

Were getting a full moto loaded tonight but its taking a long time as its 2gig.

I'll post the video as soon as I have it.
mxaaron
Posts
481
Joined
12/4/2007
Location
Richland, WA, USA
7/2/2009 9:40pm
FCR is quick! Thats the one.
fcr
Posts
9348
Joined
12/1/2006
Location
Monkeys Eyebrow, YE
7/2/2009 9:44pm
mxaa, it's embedded in a set of goggles correct ? what happens when the goggle toasts? It really takes good quality but that and cost is a concern, what approximately is the cost? I never got that far.
noob
Posts
2109
Joined
8/12/2008
Location
Burbank, CA, USA
7/2/2009 10:10pm
I'd like to know the price too - their website says nothing.

Having a camera embedded into the eye port of your goggles sounds ideal.... but the field of view in the sample footage is not so good

Sound quality kicks ass over GoPro and VholdR
mxaaron
Posts
481
Joined
12/4/2007
Location
Richland, WA, USA
7/2/2009 11:08pm
fcr wrote:
mxaa, it's embedded in a set of goggles correct ? what happens when the goggle toasts? It really takes good quality but that and cost is...
mxaa, it's embedded in a set of goggles correct ? what happens when the goggle toasts? It really takes good quality but that and cost is a concern, what approximately is the cost? I never got that far.
The one that Josh has is in a holder on that slips over the strap on the side of the goggle. I'll get all the price info from him, I wanna say it was in the $400 range.
mxaaron
Posts
481
Joined
12/4/2007
Location
Richland, WA, USA
7/2/2009 11:09pm
noob wrote:
I'd like to know the price too - their website says nothing. Having a camera embedded into the eye port of your goggles sounds ideal.... but...
I'd like to know the price too - their website says nothing.

Having a camera embedded into the eye port of your goggles sounds ideal.... but the field of view in the sample footage is not so good

Sound quality kicks ass over GoPro and VholdR
Wait till you see this footage we got this weekend. Its crazy how stable it is, and it's cool how you can see the controls of the bike. We have gotten some great footage, I think maybe better than the Josh Grant stuff at Washougal.

I should be able to post it soon.

Post a reply to: GoPro vs. VholdR

The Latest