Gaerne GX-1 Boots?

Alec138
Edited Date/Time 5/20/2019 6:48pm
In the market for new boots. Never tried Gearne’s before but found these boots in my price range. Normally go with Fox boots but lately Fox boots have not been very good in terms of quality or fit. I see there are 2 versions of the GX-1 now. Looking at the newest 2019 version for $250. Anyone have any experience with either version? Good/Bad? Comfort?
|
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
5/19/2019 10:10pm
Yes, I had a pair for my first Gaerne's. Very good boot. It's their entry level boot and it is solid. It takes longer to break in compared to the SG10 and SG12s. But definitely a solid boot and very good value. Once broken in, they are plenty comfortable. They run a little big FYI - so plan on wearing some thicker socks.
Alec138
5/19/2019 10:14pm
TbonesPop wrote:
Yes, I had a pair for my first Gaerne's. Very good boot. It's their entry level boot and it is solid. It takes longer to break...
Yes, I had a pair for my first Gaerne's. Very good boot. It's their entry level boot and it is solid. It takes longer to break in compared to the SG10 and SG12s. But definitely a solid boot and very good value. Once broken in, they are plenty comfortable. They run a little big FYI - so plan on wearing some thicker socks.
All i have heard are good reviews (so far) a out them. Sadly the newest version only comes in black or orange. Wish they had white but oh well.... orange it is if I go with these. I wear a size 12-12.5 shoe so guessing 12 boot or 13? Should be plenty for woods riding and harescrambles. Thanks.
MJC
5/19/2019 10:52pm
I’ve got them and hate them.
Tried the SG-10’s on and loved them. Comfy, perfect fit etc.
Was a tight arse so went the GX’s without trying them on. Can’t do 2nd top buckle (big calves) up and they bruise my ankles.
Serves me right for being cheap
5/20/2019 6:56am
TbonesPop wrote:
Yes, I had a pair for my first Gaerne's. Very good boot. It's their entry level boot and it is solid. It takes longer to break...
Agrree with every point here.
They do run big. If your shoe size is a half size (ex 11 1/2) definitely get the smaller size (11).
Good durability and fairly comfortable. Probably the best overall boot in this price range.

The Shop

Alec138
5/20/2019 7:14am
MJC wrote:
I’ve got them and hate them. Tried the SG-10’s on and loved them. Comfy, perfect fit etc. Was a tight arse so went the GX’s without...
I’ve got them and hate them.
Tried the SG-10’s on and loved them. Comfy, perfect fit etc.
Was a tight arse so went the GX’s without trying them on. Can’t do 2nd top buckle (big calves) up and they bruise my ankles.
Serves me right for being cheap
The new ones are supposed to have removable buckles so you can move them and make the calf bigger. Not sure about old version of them.
Alec138
5/20/2019 7:16am
TbonesPop wrote:
40 wrote:
Agrree with every point here. They do run big. If your shoe size is a half size (ex 11 1/2) definitely get the smaller size (11)...
Agrree with every point here.
They do run big. If your shoe size is a half size (ex 11 1/2) definitely get the smaller size (11).
Good durability and fairly comfortable. Probably the best overall boot in this price range.
Awesome. It seems to beat anything Fox in this price range so thats a plus.
wpark89
5/20/2019 8:51am Edited Date/Time 5/20/2019 8:59am
I have the new red GX-1s. I wear SG12s on my new bikes but I race a lot of 80s/90s bikes and find new boots a little too heavy/bulky/stiff to have a good feel on shifting and breaking. I was looking for a cheaper/lighter but still supportive boot and the GX-1 is spot on. I wore Gaernes since the SG-1 in 1999 and I agree that the new boots do seem to run a little big. I’ve always worn a size 44 and the SG12 especially seems loose. I started wearing a thin bicycle ankle sock under my MX socks with them. I feel like the GX-1s run closer to size than the 12s.
Alec138
5/20/2019 8:53am
wpark89 wrote:
I have the new red GX-1s. I wear SG12s on my new bikes but I race a lot of 80s/90s bikes and find new boots a...
I have the new red GX-1s. I wear SG12s on my new bikes but I race a lot of 80s/90s bikes and find new boots a little too heavy/bulky/stiff to have a good feel on shifting and breaking. I was looking for a cheaper/lighter but still supportive boot and the GX-1 is spot on. I wore Gaernes since the SG-1 in 1999 and I agree that the new boots do seem to run a little big. I’ve always worn a size 44 and the SG12 especially seems loose. I started wearing a thin bicycle ankle sock under my MX socks with them. I feel like the GX-1s run closer to size than the 12s.
Im looking for different colors in GX-1. Did yours happen to go by the Gaerne GX-1 “Goodyear” name? I seen loads of them on ebay under that name in different colors.
wpark89
5/20/2019 9:06am
Yeah, they are the Goodyear sole. It seems like they aren’t officially available in the USA or only in a few colors? I’m guessing they are trying to sell the old ones before they bring in the new style.

fourfourone
5/20/2019 11:35am
I have semi wide feet and they seemed to fit super narrow. I rocked them for half a season and didn't like them. find a pair of tech 7s. you will thank me later.
Alec138
5/20/2019 11:51am
I have semi wide feet and they seemed to fit super narrow. I rocked them for half a season and didn't like them. find a pair...
I have semi wide feet and they seemed to fit super narrow. I rocked them for half a season and didn't like them. find a pair of tech 7s. you will thank me later.
I tried tech 7s. Hated the buckle system and the top of the calf kept getting caught under my knee guards and rubbing my leg raw. They were comfy though.
Alec138
5/20/2019 12:01pm
wpark89 wrote:
Yeah, they are the Goodyear sole. It seems like they aren’t officially available in the USA or only in a few colors? I’m guessing they are...
Yeah, they are the Goodyear sole. It seems like they aren’t officially available in the USA or only in a few colors? I’m guessing they are trying to sell the old ones before they bring in the new style.

These are the ones on RMATVMC website that say they are 2019s. Guessing the GX-1 Goodyear model on Ebay is the same?
erik_94COBRA
5/20/2019 1:15pm
I went through 3 pairs of the older style Gaerne GX-1 boots. Loved this model of boots.

Then, they changed them in 2015 or 2016. Purchased a pair of these and they sat on shelf for 6 months or so. When I first opened the box, I realized they were the revised model. Only put a few rides on them and decided to try something different. They are size 13 and I'll sell them cheap if you want them.

I bought a pair of Sidi X-3 TA and like these very much. They are very light and well built. They are not quite as wide as the Gaerne, but the length is ok.
Evoracer
5/20/2019 3:32pm
I had a pair, and liked them a lot especially the lack of weight compared to my previous SG10's. Until, the inner side of the boot above the ankle wore in funny and started to dig into my leg. Quite a bit sore after a day of motos. ymmv
YamahaJT1
5/20/2019 6:24pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2019 6:49pm
The 2015-ish GX-1 is a good boot for the $$$... The inner ankle areas was thicker (the fake looking pivot ) so when it flexes, it resists collapsing into your ankle bone when broken in correctly. One had to walk around a bit and assist the "collapsed" area to head outward via buckle adjustment. Evoracer has a good point. Never tried the newer units.

For an extra $35 or so, as erik_94COBRA mentioned, the Sidi X-3 (TA unit) is to me a far better boot . Far more flexible with genuine ankle pivot on both sides, better padding, and even lighter than the GX-1 with decent/better protection. Way lower profile toe box, and actually, for me, wider in the toe box..

I got mine before the F-16 hit the Sidi warehouse, LOL!

EDIT: The SG-12 is killer, but far too much weight/bulk for an old & fat slow dude like me.

Post a reply to: Gaerne GX-1 Boots?

The Latest