For those with sponsors, some advice.

flarider
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2016 7:49pm
I can't say I speak for every company out there, but I am confident I speak for many on this topic, and quite simply, I think far too many, most, of those who receive sponsorship(s) from various inter-industry and even out-of-industry companies don't really do much, if anything, in exchange for that help and support.

Putting a decal on your bike in today's day and age of social media just isn't enough. Hell, people ask for and put decals on their bikes even when not sponsored, but just because they like the product. (This is NOT about people who put decals on and aren't sponsored, that's their choice, so don't make a deal about that...this about those who are sponsored.)

There are a lot of riders, especially pros, who have figured out about how to use social media and other things to help their sponsors, because being sponsored is about trying to give something back to those who help you and not just "what 'cha gonna give me?"

It is a two-way street. The company gives you a discount or free product, and in exchange, you do your best both on and off the track to promote that company or all those who sponsor you. A decal on your bike and trailer just doesn't cut it.

Let me give you something to think about, you have two riders, and to make this easier to digest, let's say they consistently finish 5th and 6th. The kid who finishes 5th just runs his sponsors logos in his pre-made decal kit and maybe a decal on his trailer. The 6th place kid does all the same, BUT, he also goes on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat and every other possible social media and posts not only his results but thanks #sponsorA #sponsorB #sponsorC and where appropriate, because not each of those platforms work the same, they'll @sponsorA @sponsorB and @sponsorC....so their sponsors know that the effort is made.
Which rider has greater value to their sponsors? The 5th place kid or the 6th place kid?
Don't kid yourself about how and when these companies know, there are several analytics software programs that track hashtags and mentions and then they can see how many mentions are made in a day/week/month and even by whom. Many companies can pull your Facebook, Twitter and Instagram account through their analytics software and know EXACTLY how many times you mentioned them between the late night pictures of your Taco Bell Chalupa, girlfriend and the pictures of your dog...how many, how often, what day and down to what time....yes, that exact.

Point is, if you want to increase your value to your sponsors, which in turn can increase their level of support of your racing, you need to do more than just have a decal on your bike and trailer.

Maybe you're only getting a few percentage points off of retail or dealer cost right now, but if you put more into your personal marketing of yourself and your sponsors, your value to them increases, and in turn, their willingness to help you and to increase their support will grow.

Also, think about how you personally thank your sponsors at the end of or throughout the year, do you send them updates of your results? Did you win a local series? Did you win a big race? Let them know! Why not spend a few dollars to have some photos printed at CVS of you with your trophies or on the podium and mail them a copy, not email, but snail mail, maybe even framed....believe me, it will help them remember your name when sponsor season rolls around next year...."Oh, I remember this kid, he sent us that signed 'thank you' picture back in the spring, good kid"

Stand out!
Shine!
Know every proper hashtag or tag for every one of them, and USE THEM, A LOT!!

Be a winner off the track in promoting yourself and sponsors better than everyone else.

Because that's how you'll get more support in the long run that the guys beating you.

But hey, WTF do I know?

Hi Motodrive!!!
|
AZ35
Fantasy
544th
1/21/2016 12:43pm
Can I have a sticker?
flarider
1/21/2016 12:51pm
Are you worthy?

They're very excusive
AZ35
Fantasy
544th
1/21/2016 12:58pm
flarider wrote:
Are you worthy?

They're very excusive
For the record, I haven't raced in 20 years.

Only even have time to ride a few times a year.

Don't do social media at all.

So basically, no I am not worthy at all.

But this is an entitlement society, so I should still get a free case of Engine Ice and an unlimited supply of stickers. Wink

But to be completely honest, if you could zoom in real close to the picture of my bike in my avatar, you would see an EI sticker on top of the radiator cap.... I bet at least 3 people have seen that sticker (possibly)- so a case of Engine Ice is the least you could do for such exposure? Tongue
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
1/21/2016 12:59pm
Great post Dave. I can promise more support goes to the riders who have great personalities, are thankful, and go out of their way to show loyalty and promote a brand versus the guy who gets the best results. Results alone rarely sell product, but a little leg work does. In order to provide you with a better deal, the company has to benefit from the sponsorship program to justify the expense.

Awhile back I put this together for the guys at Vurb, it covers a lot of what you have mentioned and some other items.

Get Sponsored - Vurbmoto

The Shop

huck
1/21/2016 1:08pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2016 1:14pm
flarider wrote:
Are you worthy?

They're very excusive
excusive? The stickers make a lot of excuses? Wink
MXD
1/21/2016 1:09pm
I get a ton of help from my local dealer. Cost +15% on all parts, Cost +$100 on new bikes, all the free stuff the reps offer them typically ends up in my hands (usually a free set of gear or 2 every season), they pay for full graphics kits for my bikes every year and all kinds of special favor if I need anything. The reason they take such good care of me isn't because I'm fast (I'm definitely not) and it's not because I'm a young up and comer (I'm 41). It's because I walk at least a dozen guys in there a year to buy new bikes and I constantly mine business for the parts department by making sure my friends all make their purchases through them. If someone needs a new exhaust and they found it online for $xxx, I call the parts manager and say "hey, a guy I know is going to buy this exhaust for this price. If you can match it, I'm sure I can send him your way". 100% of the time he has said sure. I sold 4 Rekluse Core EXPs for them this past summer alone. Hell, I even swing buy the shop on Fridays and bring the parts to the track for those who aren't local. My point is that Dave is 100% spot on. Support is more about what you earn and not what you deserve.
huck
1/21/2016 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2016 1:26pm
nevermind...

I don't want the OP to think I'm attacking him...
moto455va
1/21/2016 1:15pm
What if you dont have any social media accounts but wax everyone at the local races?
Titan1
1/21/2016 1:20pm
Dave makes a valid point...I wonder if he's talking about all the guys Engine Ice sponsors on hookit.com who do nothing in exchange for their 30% off retail?
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
1/21/2016 1:21pm
Guess you gotta get on social media. That's where it's at.

Hmmm...

I'm starting to think maybe Dave has a sponsorship deal with IG, Twitter, FB and SC.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
1/21/2016 1:27pm
flarider wrote:
I can't say I speak for every company out there, but I am confident I speak for many on this topic, and quite simply, I think...
I can't say I speak for every company out there, but I am confident I speak for many on this topic, and quite simply, I think far too many, most, of those who receive sponsorship(s) from various inter-industry and even out-of-industry companies don't really do much, if anything, in exchange for that help and support.

Putting a decal on your bike in today's day and age of social media just isn't enough. Hell, people ask for and put decals on their bikes even when not sponsored, but just because they like the product. (This is NOT about people who put decals on and aren't sponsored, that's their choice, so don't make a deal about that...this about those who are sponsored.)

There are a lot of riders, especially pros, who have figured out about how to use social media and other things to help their sponsors, because being sponsored is about trying to give something back to those who help you and not just "what 'cha gonna give me?"

It is a two-way street. The company gives you a discount or free product, and in exchange, you do your best both on and off the track to promote that company or all those who sponsor you. A decal on your bike and trailer just doesn't cut it.

Let me give you something to think about, you have two riders, and to make this easier to digest, let's say they consistently finish 5th and 6th. The kid who finishes 5th just runs his sponsors logos in his pre-made decal kit and maybe a decal on his trailer. The 6th place kid does all the same, BUT, he also goes on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat and every other possible social media and posts not only his results but thanks #sponsorA #sponsorB #sponsorC and where appropriate, because not each of those platforms work the same, they'll @sponsorA @sponsorB and @sponsorC....so their sponsors know that the effort is made.
Which rider has greater value to their sponsors? The 5th place kid or the 6th place kid?
Don't kid yourself about how and when these companies know, there are several analytics software programs that track hashtags and mentions and then they can see how many mentions are made in a day/week/month and even by whom. Many companies can pull your Facebook, Twitter and Instagram account through their analytics software and know EXACTLY how many times you mentioned them between the late night pictures of your Taco Bell Chalupa, girlfriend and the pictures of your dog...how many, how often, what day and down to what time....yes, that exact.

Point is, if you want to increase your value to your sponsors, which in turn can increase their level of support of your racing, you need to do more than just have a decal on your bike and trailer.

Maybe you're only getting a few percentage points off of retail or dealer cost right now, but if you put more into your personal marketing of yourself and your sponsors, your value to them increases, and in turn, their willingness to help you and to increase their support will grow.

Also, think about how you personally thank your sponsors at the end of or throughout the year, do you send them updates of your results? Did you win a local series? Did you win a big race? Let them know! Why not spend a few dollars to have some photos printed at CVS of you with your trophies or on the podium and mail them a copy, not email, but snail mail, maybe even framed....believe me, it will help them remember your name when sponsor season rolls around next year...."Oh, I remember this kid, he sent us that signed 'thank you' picture back in the spring, good kid"

Stand out!
Shine!
Know every proper hashtag or tag for every one of them, and USE THEM, A LOT!!

Be a winner off the track in promoting yourself and sponsors better than everyone else.

Because that's how you'll get more support in the long run that the guys beating you.

But hey, WTF do I know?

Hi Motodrive!!!
Dave a honest question here. At what level of rider is a company going to the rider offering support so they they can sell more product vs a rider going to a company to get free or discounted products and would you have the same advice for all levels ?
Arkmx
1/21/2016 1:27pm

Good Thread Dave!

Race reports are read even though most Sponsors don't have the time to reply they (The Sponsor / Owner) does read them and take notice!

Can't tell you how many of our sponsors will tell me in person thank you for the race reports... "you guys are some of the few that actually do send us race reports". Good or bad results they want to see them.

Sandberm
1/21/2016 1:43pm
You should go into the pits at an outdoor national and drain the coolant from the offending pros bike....tampering with a sponsered guys bike worked pretty well for that other guy Tongue
flarider
1/21/2016 1:49pm
huck wrote:
nevermind...

I don't want the OP to think I'm attacking him...
It's all good.

I typo'd

Typos happen
Steadman
1/21/2016 1:53pm
MXD wrote:
I get a ton of help from my local dealer. Cost +15% on all parts, Cost +$100 on new bikes, all the free stuff the reps...
I get a ton of help from my local dealer. Cost +15% on all parts, Cost +$100 on new bikes, all the free stuff the reps offer them typically ends up in my hands (usually a free set of gear or 2 every season), they pay for full graphics kits for my bikes every year and all kinds of special favor if I need anything. The reason they take such good care of me isn't because I'm fast (I'm definitely not) and it's not because I'm a young up and comer (I'm 41). It's because I walk at least a dozen guys in there a year to buy new bikes and I constantly mine business for the parts department by making sure my friends all make their purchases through them. If someone needs a new exhaust and they found it online for $xxx, I call the parts manager and say "hey, a guy I know is going to buy this exhaust for this price. If you can match it, I'm sure I can send him your way". 100% of the time he has said sure. I sold 4 Rekluse Core EXPs for them this past summer alone. Hell, I even swing buy the shop on Fridays and bring the parts to the track for those who aren't local. My point is that Dave is 100% spot on. Support is more about what you earn and not what you deserve.
Ah man, someone who gets it! Wish I had you as a customer.

We made the decision to put a halt on sponsoring local riders (with the exception of two families) because all that was happening was riders were getting their bikes at dealer cost, getting a sweet deal on gear via a distributor program and then most would disappear. All I ever have asked of a sponsored customer was to bring people in the doors. Come in with them, or tell them to mention their name when at the shop. They would use us to get what they want and move on. Unfortunately over the years it's become more of a one way street.

P.S we are big fans of Engine Ice!! Been selling it for years.
BikeGraphix
1/21/2016 1:56pm
What really makes you valuable to the company is that you operate as a salesman for the product. A few of our best "sponsored" riders are guys who are 50 years old and racing C class. They sell our product at every event and dealership they enter. They make sure the other companies they work with use our decals. When we get a phone call from a new customer who says "Joe Smith sent us and said your products are awesome!" then Joe Smith is guaranteed a spot on next years team regardless of his results.

Just my .02
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
1/21/2016 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2016 2:01pm
Nice write up,Dave!
Social media helps great in regards to marketing.

Another thing I'd add also is watermarking your race/riding photos with your sponsor logos before posting them on forums or social media in general.
Photos get shared and posted and even indexed in google images and it helps put more eyes on the logos.
Sometimes people don't read the text when photos are posted on social media.
But having the watermarks on the photos will definitely put more eyes on the logos or even site urls - leads to more impressions or even site visits for your sponsors.
flarider
1/21/2016 2:01pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Dave a honest question here. At what level of rider is a company going to the rider offering support so they they can sell more product...
Dave a honest question here. At what level of rider is a company going to the rider offering support so they they can sell more product vs a rider going to a company to get free or discounted products and would you have the same advice for all levels ?
IMO, and again, I can't speak for every company, and this is primarily directed at amateur/local level racing, but the same applies to all.

When does a company go to the rider, rather than rider to company? That's going to vary on so many issues, but especially if they have some OEM deal, because those OEM deals come with all the surrounding needs, like oil, filters, lube, coolant.

But, if some fast kid seems ungrateful or not loyal, then many companies, even OEM's, may not want to continue with them in the future. If a fast rider is just expecting his "being fast" to be enough, and doesn't talk about his sponsors to other racers and online, and just ignores them as if they don't exist...then, it would not be surprising to see companies pass in the future.

Even at the amateur level, some professionalism is desired.

If you don't deal in social media, but you're on here, you are active in social media....how many people you think read VitalMX? These advertisers aren't paying because no one is on here, so put your sponsors in your signature, or post your results once in a while and thank them. But if you want to increase or shore up the support you have, take advantage of social media and help promote your sponsors.

Be creative.

By the way, this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with any person or situation, just came up in a discussion today with someone so I thought I'd share in an attempt to help those who are curious or are trying to wade through the rough waters of sponsorship
1/21/2016 2:03pm
The OP got a bit sensitive a while back. I miss the banter.

SHOUT IT, SHOUT IT OUT LOUD!
Roscoe33
1/21/2016 2:06pm
How about walking down the start line of a National and seeing the fast kid you just gave a free bike to sporting another shops stickers on the front fender and his only reply was " I didn't think you would notice"

Ardenb64
1/21/2016 2:26pm
So I'm just getting back into racing. Local, with hopes of qualifying for LL's. I'm 32, and I'm as slow as they come.

I work for a big sports medicine group in New Orleans. I've already taken it on myself to get gear with logos all over it, get the decals worked up, and I also am using our pop up tents that we bring to tournaments to set up a small both by my truck with flyers, business cards... Regardless if they're "sponsoring" me, my actions reflect on ME and MY character first and foremost. I have to make sure that I'm on my game off the track regardless of my skill level on the track.
davidgrip
1/21/2016 2:35pm
Excellent Post Dave!

I communicate with my sponsors on a consistent basis. I copy any postings on Vital MX, that are related to my sponsors. Race results, updates, social media, and any quality feedback. I always receive a response, and a thank you. I value my relationships with my sponsors! Sponsors are Relationships. I take my sponsorship serious.

David
774 Chaplin Kawasaki
Factory Backing Graphics
Acerbis
Dunlop
zehn
1/21/2016 2:45pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2016 2:45pm
I mean, I get your point of view, but as a consumer of pro riders' social media accounts, I can tell you that the last thing I want is for Instagram, SnapChat, etc. posts to devolve into a litany of what basically amounts to free advertisements and commercials for their sponsors.

Some guys are better than others at mixing in the promotional materials with their personal or moto-related posts.
flarider
1/21/2016 2:50pm
zehn wrote:
I mean, I get your point of view, but as a consumer of pro riders' social media accounts, I can tell you that the last thing...
I mean, I get your point of view, but as a consumer of pro riders' social media accounts, I can tell you that the last thing I want is for Instagram, SnapChat, etc. posts to devolve into a litany of what basically amounts to free advertisements and commercials for their sponsors.

Some guys are better than others at mixing in the promotional materials with their personal or moto-related posts.
and I understand that, but I think a smart pro or PR person is not going to list all of a rider's sponsors in every thread, but mix it up with a couple here and a couple there, spreading it evenly or based on level of support
Meister
1/21/2016 2:54pm
Like.

As a rider support manager for a local aftermarket shop, I completely agree. I sponsor a few mid to back of the pack C riders who blow the doors off alot of our faster riders when it comes to "pimpin'" us. One of our pro am quad riders does this perfectly. Yes, a quad rider leading the way. Believe that. Genuinely appreciates the support given. Some kids think their "owed" a sponsorship. HA
Ardenb64
1/21/2016 2:58pm
zehn wrote:
I mean, I get your point of view, but as a consumer of pro riders' social media accounts, I can tell you that the last thing...

flarider wrote:
and I understand that, but I think a smart pro or PR person is not going to list all of a rider's sponsors in every thread...
and I understand that, but I think a smart pro or PR person is not going to list all of a rider's sponsors in every thread, but mix it up with a couple here and a couple there, spreading it evenly or based on level of support
Exactly. It's all about incorporating it in to your everyday life. You become a brand ambassador, and if you do it right, no one pays attention to the plug (but they notice the product!)
rubarb
1/21/2016 3:08pm
Does this social media post need more sponsor hashtags?

https://instagram.com/p/4XpubMusSu/

#hashtaglife
#getyournailsdid
#needmorehashtags
#motodriveiswashedup
#2016gonnabeagoodyear
#doingyournailswillincreasesales
#manispedisimprovesbusinessrelations
ebers
Fantasy
174th
1/21/2016 3:22pm
Dave,
What is your thoughts on riders doing that but just having a small social media presence? (IG/Twitter @setheberhardt)
Also, is there ever a time a rider can be a nuisance with sending pics or race reports or anything like that?
Titan1
1/21/2016 3:26pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2016 3:32pm
Dave,

From a local yokal, weekend warrior perspective...with the limited sponsorship's I've had (and I don't feel like I deserve sponsorship's in any way shape or form)...in some instances I've felt like companies feel like I owe them the world for 30% off retail. They want me to plaster them all over social media, for a discount roughly equal to what I could buy their product for from Rocky Mountain ATV or BTO or Motorsport.

Seems to me, if a company is giving FREE product to a rider...they can expect the world...but when a company gives a sliver off of retail, and expects the world...its just as bad as when a rider takes the product/discount and does nothing in return.

Maybe those companies can go to the rider and say "if you'd do more, we'd give you more"...but the rider could also go to the company and say "if you give me more, I'll do more". It's a two way street....I'm of the mind that its the latter. A company can't expect a rider to do more without first agreeing to give more...because if riders were doing more without a contract saying they'd get more from a company there would be no incentive for a company to ever actually give more to a rider...they could always keep saying..."do more for us, and THEN we'll give you more"..."do more do more...then then then". It's like that deal with Alessi running white RMZ's and people saying "well, maybe if he'd run the yellow plastics and the logo, suzuki would step up and start helping him out"....and that's just not how it works, in my opinion at least.

Anyway...not a complaint...just my perspective on the entire thing. And I do agree with you...riders who take money/product/discounts and do NOTHING are stealing.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/21/2016 4:14pm
A company CAN and DOES expect a rider to be a brand ambassador, regardless of the level of support and if anyone actually read his sponsorship agreement/contract, he'd know that.
I for one am extremely grateful for the support I've received through the years and I'm happy to prop those companies whenever and however I can, even now that I'm no longer supported. Renthal was the first company I ever got true sponsorship from, and I still love that product today. I'm also very happy with Spy Optic, Maxima and Troy Lee Designs. Most of the time I still had to pay for product at a discount from those companies, but I'm thankful for the help. Also, there's something to be said for the confidence boost you get from being a sponsored rider.

Rep your sponsors well, speak highly of them, and NEVER run a competitor's product or logo anywhere on your bike, truck, or pit.

Post a reply to: For those with sponsors, some advice.

The Latest