Fix the Points System

nealb129
5/2/2017 2:45am Edited Date/Time 5/4/2017 10:22am
Instead of bashing the system and crying about how the system is broke and rider x should be leading the series. Why don't you actually submit a new points system to the AMA?? Seriously, if you have a better system let them hear it?

My suggestion
Fastest Qualifier-1 point
Heat Win - 1 Point
Win-10 points
2nd- 5 points
3rd- 2 points
4th and back - 0 points
|
5/2/2017 2:59am
The championship is coming down to the last round, I don't see anything that needs fixing.
What you propose would result in a championship done way before the end, not many promotors would sign up for an empty stadium.
rancor19
5/2/2017 3:17am
How about 'headhunter" points? The leader gets the position points from anyone he laps and that lapper must GTF-off the track the next time by the finish line?

Just thinking out loud...
jemcee
5/2/2017 3:54am
What if we reverse the gate picks for the main so the fastest qualifier has last gate pick and so on?

The Shop

RG1
5/2/2017 3:55am
Why don't we just leave it as it is and admit that the winner at the end of the series was the best over 17 rounds?
5/2/2017 3:57am
The best system, in any motorsport, is AVERAGE FINISH.

Points is dumb and not exactly accurate for what is trying to be determined.
Acidreamer
5/2/2017 3:57am
As much of a tomac fan i am, the points arent broken. Dungey has earned more points at the end of the day. Everyone knows tomac is the better rider by far and the reason he lost the title is due to a mechanical. But thats part of it.
RG1
5/2/2017 4:11am
Acidreamer wrote:
As much of a tomac fan i am, the points arent broken. Dungey has earned more points at the end of the day. Everyone knows tomac...
As much of a tomac fan i am, the points arent broken. Dungey has earned more points at the end of the day. Everyone knows tomac is the better rider by far and the reason he lost the title is due to a mechanical. But thats part of it.
He already made up the points from his mechanical. He lost the title in NY
tprice07
5/2/2017 4:13am
Keep it the same, just drop 2-3 of the worst scores
5/2/2017 4:15am
Acidreamer wrote:
As much of a tomac fan i am, the points arent broken. Dungey has earned more points at the end of the day. Everyone knows tomac...
I think consistency is more important than out right speed, so I say Dungey is by far the 'better' rider....who's right?
5/2/2017 4:15am
tprice07 wrote:
Keep it the same, just drop 2-3 of the worst scores
I would say 2-3 is a bit much but definitely 1 worst to eliminate a mechanical
ricko
5/2/2017 4:29am
Why? Have you not looked how close the points are this year? There is only 1 point separating the top 3 in east cost, 450s is coming down to the wire.
Sachmo831
5/2/2017 4:43am
ricko wrote:
Why? Have you not looked how close the points are this year? There is only 1 point separating the top 3 in east cost, 450s is...
Why? Have you not looked how close the points are this year? There is only 1 point separating the top 3 in east cost, 450s is coming down to the wire.
The points system needs fixed because their favorite rider blew it last weekend.
ricko
5/2/2017 4:48am
ricko wrote:
Why? Have you not looked how close the points are this year? There is only 1 point separating the top 3 in east cost, 450s is...
Sachmo831 wrote:
The points system needs fixed because their favorite rider blew it last weekend.
Lol, pry right, I mean I would rather see Tomac win over Dungey but the points don't lie who was the best rider.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
5/2/2017 4:55am Edited Date/Time 5/2/2017 4:56am
Why weren't there any topics about the points system being broken mentioned before this season started?
mattmatt300
5/2/2017 5:07am
As long as everybody starts at the same time from the same gate under the same points system I don't see how you can complain.
Acidreamer
5/2/2017 5:33am
This argument is based on the same premice as the electoral college vs popular vote from the election. It is the way it is and if it were different youd complain about that too to get whoever into the points lead. Dungey didnt have a mechanical. End of story
RickA
5/2/2017 5:39am
Acidreamer wrote:
This argument is based on the same premice as the electoral college vs popular vote from the election. It is the way it is and if...
This argument is based on the same premice as the electoral college vs popular vote from the election. It is the way it is and if it were different youd complain about that too to get whoever into the points lead. Dungey didnt have a mechanical. End of story
You mean Dungey didn't crash resulting in a mechanical.

Dunge has had his fair share, he lost 2 titles to RV because of stupid issues like:
1. Running out of fuel
2. Chain falling off twice
3. Bike not starting and showing up to the line
4. None of these self inflicted because he crashed
Nobody complained, it happened.
greenmx5
5/2/2017 5:55am Edited Date/Time 5/2/2017 5:55am
Why don't we just get rid of all the points all together! 17 championships per year! And 12 outdoors! YEAH
Acidreamer
5/2/2017 6:02am
Acidreamer wrote:
This argument is based on the same premice as the electoral college vs popular vote from the election. It is the way it is and if...
RickA wrote:
You mean Dungey didn't crash resulting in a mechanical. Dunge has had his fair share, he lost 2 titles to RV because of stupid issues like...
You mean Dungey didn't crash resulting in a mechanical.

Dunge has had his fair share, he lost 2 titles to RV because of stupid issues like:
1. Running out of fuel
2. Chain falling off twice
3. Bike not starting and showing up to the line
4. None of these self inflicted because he crashed
Nobody complained, it happened.
Tomacs brake locked causing him to crash. thats why cutting the line fixed the problem. If the rotor was damaged from the crash cutting the line wouldnt have fixed It.
Bearuno
5/2/2017 6:04am
RG1 wrote:
Why don't we just leave it as it is and admit that the winner at the end of the series was the best over 17 rounds?
But, But, RG1, we just can't have that, we need any number of Bull Shit ideas put forward by Fan Bois, Pit Pundits, Hurtin' Turtles (that are hurtin' for their favourites), 'Haters' and Arm Chair Experts.

Surely you understand that? WhistlingWoohoo

RG1
5/2/2017 6:42am
Grinning

I understand why people may feel like Tomac deserves to win the title, he's put in an incredible run of results and performances through the middle of the season, and you have to give him credit for that. But at the same time, you also have to acknowledge​ that he has had 4 races that were absolute disasters. People keep trying to come up with new rules that means the person who wins the most races wins the title, but that should happen anyway. If you've got 9 wins to your nearest rivals 3, then you're going to have to mess up pretty bad somewhere to throw that away, and that's what Tomac has done, and what Dungey never does. The person who gets the most points over all the races is the champion, what could be fairer than that?
tprice07
5/2/2017 7:04am
Here is why change is needed, the past 5 years championships were won by an average of 60.5 points. Sorry that just isn't fun. If you add in a drop race or so that allows for guys to take a chance, make a mistake, or have a mechanical. That said, 3 10 min motos for the 450s will pretty much do the same thing. It will dilute a poor race result.

Mit12
5/2/2017 9:17am
nealb129 wrote:
Instead of bashing the system and crying about how the system is broke and rider x should be leading the series. Why don't you actually submit...
Instead of bashing the system and crying about how the system is broke and rider x should be leading the series. Why don't you actually submit a new points system to the AMA?? Seriously, if you have a better system let them hear it?

My suggestion
Fastest Qualifier-1 point
Heat Win - 1 Point
Win-10 points
2nd- 5 points
3rd- 2 points
4th and back - 0 points
The points system works proof is Tomac was able to make up 29 points on the most consistent rider in the sports history.
rjg
5/2/2017 9:21am Edited Date/Time 5/2/2017 9:31am
To address the group mentality of people who are whining about the points system, not aimed at anyone commenting in this thread so far, but no doubt eventually some one will chime in:
This is one of the dumbest topics to discuss. Every rider goes into the every season knowing what is required to win the championship. They all understand the points structure and have to strategize and execute a plan to maximize their opportunity at winning the overall with whatever point system is in place. Stop complaining about the point structure or other bs (like if someone does or does not deserve a title), it is futile. The teams are aware of the requirements before round 1 gate drop. Stop whining about it.

The current system can be likened to a long term investment plan where as the other tossed around ideas are similar to short lived thrills.

ACBraap
Fantasy
450th
5/2/2017 1:07pm
rancor19 wrote:
How about 'headhunter" points? The leader gets the position points from anyone he laps and that lapper must GTF-off the track the next time by the...
How about 'headhunter" points? The leader gets the position points from anyone he laps and that lapper must GTF-off the track the next time by the finish line?

I like this one.

But really, the system works pretty well as is. I think dropping a race isn't a bad idea. Yes, this year is very close right now, but other years a mechanical from a contender has led to big gaps and early clinching. OTOH, it sort of rewards inconsistency, and I don't know if thats a good thing. If a race could be dropped, then I would argue the gap between first and second points should be tightened as well, since that is what has allowed Tomac to catch up this year, and Villopoto to Milsaps for example.
tprice07
5/2/2017 1:26pm
rancor19 wrote:
How about 'headhunter" points? The leader gets the position points from anyone he laps and that lapper must GTF-off the track the next time by the...

ACBraap wrote:
I like this one. But really, the system works pretty well as is. I think dropping a race isn't a bad idea. Yes, this year is...
I like this one.

But really, the system works pretty well as is. I think dropping a race isn't a bad idea. Yes, this year is very close right now, but other years a mechanical from a contender has led to big gaps and early clinching. OTOH, it sort of rewards inconsistency, and I don't know if thats a good thing. If a race could be dropped, then I would argue the gap between first and second points should be tightened as well, since that is what has allowed Tomac to catch up this year, and Villopoto to Milsaps for example.
Drop races might bump up 3/4th place as well. I'd love to see 4 riders battle throughout the season for the championship. Seems like one hickup and a guy is out of the points.
rancor19
5/2/2017 1:27pm
rancor19 wrote:

ACBraap wrote:
I like this one. But really, the system works pretty well as is. I think dropping a race isn't a bad idea. Yes, this year is...
I like this one.

Yeah, I'm not complaining about the points system as it is. Everybody is racing under the same rules.

Getting lappers out of the way however...
5/2/2017 1:42pm

Tomacs run was impressive but nothing on this stat. Anyone that rides/races can appreciate what it must take to put together a run like that, titles more than deserved.

Post a reply to: Fix the Points System

The Latest