Chad Reed officially....

msp138
Posts
461
Joined
7/21/2010
Location
Macomb, MI, USA
Fantasy
6/13/2012 8:42am
msp138 wrote:
The U.S.A does not recognize dual citizenship. So he is a full blown American citizen in the eyes of our country. it's a good addition since...
The U.S.A does not recognize dual citizenship. So he is a full blown American citizen in the eyes of our country. it's a good addition since he has made a huge contribution to the sport we all love. So in Aus he may have dual citizenship, but to us he's all red white and blue!
ns503 wrote:
Pretty sure this is wrong. Think there are quite a few Canadian/USA dual citizens 'out there'.
You are correct from the point of view from the Government of Canada like I said ,but not the U.S.A
6/13/2012 8:46am
You can read about the US's stance on dual citizenship here:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

I would say it sounds like you can hold dual citizenship all you want, as long as you didn't start as an American Citizen and purposefully gain citizenship in another country with the intention of giving up your American Citizenship
ns503
Posts
4646
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
NS Toolies, CA
6/13/2012 8:47am
msp138 wrote:
The U.S.A does not recognize dual citizenship. So he is a full blown American citizen in the eyes of our country. it's a good addition since...
The U.S.A does not recognize dual citizenship. So he is a full blown American citizen in the eyes of our country. it's a good addition since he has made a huge contribution to the sport we all love. So in Aus he may have dual citizenship, but to us he's all red white and blue!
ns503 wrote:
Pretty sure this is wrong. Think there are quite a few Canadian/USA dual citizens 'out there'.
msp138 wrote:
You are correct from the point of view from the Government of Canada like I said ,but not the U.S.A
Linky

Thats with a two second google search - there's lots more hits on it.

Do you still think you're right?
mjskier
Posts
1879
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
6/13/2012 8:55am
msp138 wrote:
The U.S.A does not recognize dual citizenship. So he is a full blown American citizen in the eyes of our country. it's a good addition since...
The U.S.A does not recognize dual citizenship. So he is a full blown American citizen in the eyes of our country. it's a good addition since he has made a huge contribution to the sport we all love. So in Aus he may have dual citizenship, but to us he's all red white and blue!
Derpin' DJ wrote:
That doesn't make sense
It used to be a time where the US went after dual nationality citizens. Most likely when they were undesirable and somebody was looking for a way to revoke their citizenship (There were a few lawsuits related to that back in the 50s if I recall)

But now the US does recognize dual citizenship (tolerate might be a better word) The only time where it can become an issue is if you try to get a security clearance.

The Shop

msp138
Posts
461
Joined
7/21/2010
Location
Macomb, MI, USA
Fantasy
6/13/2012 9:08am
You can read about the US's stance on dual citizenship here: [url=http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html]http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html[/url] I would say it sounds like you can hold dual citizenship all you want...
You can read about the US's stance on dual citizenship here:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

I would say it sounds like you can hold dual citizenship all you want, as long as you didn't start as an American Citizen and purposefully gain citizenship in another country with the intention of giving up your American Citizenship
This is correct if you volunteeraily apply you risk losing your U.S citizenship. I don't think I would trust sites like ehow.com in legal circumstances
pilotdude
Posts
3867
Joined
1/12/2009
Location
Vancouver, WA, USA
6/13/2012 9:21am
Flat out awesome. I am proud to have him as a fellow countryman and do indeed hope he gets to ride for Team USA before he retires.
ns503
Posts
4646
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
NS Toolies, CA
6/13/2012 9:27am
You can read about the US's stance on dual citizenship here: [url=http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html]http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html[/url] I would say it sounds like you can hold dual citizenship all you want...
You can read about the US's stance on dual citizenship here:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

I would say it sounds like you can hold dual citizenship all you want, as long as you didn't start as an American Citizen and purposefully gain citizenship in another country with the intention of giving up your American Citizenship
msp138 wrote:
This is correct if you volunteeraily apply you risk losing your U.S citizenship. I don't think I would trust sites like ehow.com in legal circumstances
A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

I just picked the Ehow one randomly out of the google results -the same things are said in more than one result. So please explain (references welcome) how the US does not recognize dual citizenship, how someone who is a citizen of another country and who gains US citizenship (i.e. naturalized) is now only a US citizen, and how someone with US citizenship who applies for dual in another country risks losing his US citizenship if he doesn't want to give it up - all of which you have claimed as fact.
msp138
Posts
461
Joined
7/21/2010
Location
Macomb, MI, USA
Fantasy
6/13/2012 9:37am
You can read about the US's stance on dual citizenship here: [url=http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html]http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html[/url] I would say it sounds like you can hold dual citizenship all you want...
You can read about the US's stance on dual citizenship here:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

I would say it sounds like you can hold dual citizenship all you want, as long as you didn't start as an American Citizen and purposefully gain citizenship in another country with the intention of giving up your American Citizenship
msp138 wrote:
This is correct if you volunteeraily apply you risk losing your U.S citizenship. I don't think I would trust sites like ehow.com in legal circumstances
ns503 wrote:
[i]A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of...
A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

I just picked the Ehow one randomly out of the google results -the same things are said in more than one result. So please explain (references welcome) how the US does not recognize dual citizenship, how someone who is a citizen of another country and who gains US citizenship (i.e. naturalized) is now only a US citizen, and how someone with US citizenship who applies for dual in another country risks losing his US citizenship if he doesn't want to give it up - all of which you have claimed as fact.
It says it right in ther look! If you automatically are granted a foreign citizenship you don't risk losing you U.S citizenship..... Then continue reading it's says HOWEVER a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S citizenship. So if I voluntarily apply free of choice by law I'm intending to give up all rights. Look I don't really need to argue about this, but one of my best friends spent a whole year dealing with this and an immigration lawyer told him you will lose your U.S citizenship therefore he only could apply for permanent residence. So he is married to a Canadian and lives in Canada, but he is not a citizen there he's an American citizen living in Canada.
ns503
Posts
4646
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
NS Toolies, CA
6/13/2012 9:54am
msp138 wrote:
This is correct if you volunteeraily apply you risk losing your U.S citizenship. I don't think I would trust sites like ehow.com in legal circumstances
ns503 wrote:
[i]A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of...
A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

I just picked the Ehow one randomly out of the google results -the same things are said in more than one result. So please explain (references welcome) how the US does not recognize dual citizenship, how someone who is a citizen of another country and who gains US citizenship (i.e. naturalized) is now only a US citizen, and how someone with US citizenship who applies for dual in another country risks losing his US citizenship if he doesn't want to give it up - all of which you have claimed as fact.
msp138 wrote:
It says it right in ther look! If you automatically are granted a foreign citizenship you don't risk losing you U.S citizenship..... Then continue reading it's...
It says it right in ther look! If you automatically are granted a foreign citizenship you don't risk losing you U.S citizenship..... Then continue reading it's says HOWEVER a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S citizenship. So if I voluntarily apply free of choice by law I'm intending to give up all rights. Look I don't really need to argue about this, but one of my best friends spent a whole year dealing with this and an immigration lawyer told him you will lose your U.S citizenship therefore he only could apply for permanent residence. So he is married to a Canadian and lives in Canada, but he is not a citizen there he's an American citizen living in Canada.
Yes, but if you read further it says you would only lose your US citizenship if you intend to give it up.

Maybe CR will chime in here & straighten the lot of us out. Cool
msp138
Posts
461
Joined
7/21/2010
Location
Macomb, MI, USA
Fantasy
6/13/2012 10:04am
CR doesn't have to worry about it because he wasn't a U.S. citizen from birth. It does say if you intend to give it up. Therefore you are intending to give it up by applying for another citizenship. Ok I'm done no matter how many times my dad taught me I never listen ...don't argue with idiots because they will bring you down to thier level and beat you with experience.
ns503
Posts
4646
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
NS Toolies, CA
6/13/2012 10:26am
Well, since you bring name calling into it, I'll post one more time.

CR does have to worry about it, because he is an Aussie citizen, and would risk losing that if dual was not allowed in the US.

And just because a US citizen applies for citizenship in another country, that does not automatically mean he intends to give up his US citizenship. Read crashnburn's reply again - I think he gets that too.

It appears that we will have to agree to disagree.
ando
Posts
4609
Joined
8/20/2009
Location
Perth, AU
6/13/2012 1:35pm
Up until about 2002 Australia didn't allow birth citizens to obtain dual citizenship, you had to relinquish your Aussie citizenship. However that's not the case now. The most famous person to suffer from this was Rupert Murdoch - in order to increase his holdings in US media he had to become a US citizen, but because it was in the '90's he had to give up Australian citizenship.

I know of Australians who hold dual Aussie/US citizenship, so it can be done, although it may be the case that the US doesn't allow birth citizens to obtain dual citizenship, as Australia used to do.

Anyway, having lived overseas as a temporary resident for several years, there are many good reasons to become a citizen, it just makes life so much easier in your adopted country. Income taxes are lower in the US, although I doubt that taxes were a factor for someone in Chad's position.
ando
Posts
4609
Joined
8/20/2009
Location
Perth, AU
6/13/2012 1:36pm
ns503 wrote:
Well, since you bring name calling into it, I'll post one more time. CR does have to worry about it, because he is an Aussie citizen...
Well, since you bring name calling into it, I'll post one more time.

CR does have to worry about it, because he is an Aussie citizen, and would risk losing that if dual was not allowed in the US.

And just because a US citizen applies for citizenship in another country, that does not automatically mean he intends to give up his US citizenship. Read crashnburn's reply again - I think he gets that too.

It appears that we will have to agree to disagree.
I think the issue is whether your birth country allows dual citizenship, not the adopting country.
peelout
Posts
18422
Joined
1/6/2011
Location
Ogden, UT, USA
6/13/2012 1:57pm
he should be like my baby sista cousin Tracy and get on food stamps. you don't even have to be embarrassed to use "stamps" in the stores any more, they give you a visa.

beggar lifestyle with no shame for days, BROs
6/13/2012 2:22pm
msp138 wrote:
The U.S.A does not recognize dual citizenship. So he is a full blown American citizen in the eyes of our country. it's a good addition since...
The U.S.A does not recognize dual citizenship. So he is a full blown American citizen in the eyes of our country. it's a good addition since he has made a huge contribution to the sport we all love. So in Aus he may have dual citizenship, but to us he's all red white and blue!
Derpin' DJ wrote:
That doesn't make sense
Yeah that doesn't make sense and is not true.
6/13/2012 2:26pm
chump6784 wrote:
Well I guess he lives there so it probably makes things easier being a citizen but no way in hell can he race for you guys...
Well I guess he lives there so it probably makes things easier being a citizen but no way in hell can he race for you guys at MXDN
Yeah sure he can. Jeff Ward is a perfect example of a person with dual citizenship racing for the US when he was born in Scotland. So it has been done before.
6/13/2012 2:51pm
mxmaniac08 wrote:
His done enough for us aussies to prove that down under is where his heart is.
Yeah, I don't think there is any doubt about that. He is very proud to be an Aussie!
6/13/2012 2:53pm
Motodude wrote:
whats good for Chad is good for Chad....ghetto country boy living the dream...good luck at tax time.
Geez, what in the heck are you rambling about here? Are you calling him a ghetto country boy?
Hando
Posts
1571
Joined
11/13/2011
Location
USA
6/13/2012 4:12pm
he'll always be an ozzy
ford832
Posts
502
Joined
2/15/2010
Location
N.S., CA
6/13/2012 4:23pm
mxmaniac08 wrote:
His done enough for us aussies to prove that down under is where his heart is.
Like saying he doesn't like beer and becoming a US citizen?That doesn't sound too Aussie to me.It would be kind of funny to see him race MXDN for the US though.Woohoo Don't feel to bad if it happens,we felt the same way with Wilson and the Scots.Sad
6/13/2012 5:02pm
Motodude wrote:
whats good for Chad is good for Chad....ghetto country boy living the dream...good luck at tax time.
Geez, what in the heck are you rambling about here? Are you calling him a ghetto country boy?
You ever been to Kurri Kurri? Rock on Slum Dog Millionaire!
Derpin' DJ
Posts
6420
Joined
5/27/2011
Location
Newcastle, AU
6/13/2012 5:24pm
Yeah, Kurri Kurri is a shit hole.

There must be something in the water there though, because Casey Stoner was born there as well Blink
chump6784
Posts
1776
Joined
5/9/2011
Location
AU
6/13/2012 9:13pm
chump6784 wrote:
Well I guess he lives there so it probably makes things easier being a citizen but no way in hell can he race for you guys...
Well I guess he lives there so it probably makes things easier being a citizen but no way in hell can he race for you guys at MXDN
iudi2006 wrote:
Yeah sure he can. Jeff Ward is a perfect example of a person with dual citizenship racing for the US when he was born in Scotland...
Yeah sure he can. Jeff Ward is a perfect example of a person with dual citizenship racing for the US when he was born in Scotland. So it has been done before.
Technically he could but there would be hell to pay
kongols
Posts
24230
Joined
9/22/2009
Location
Riga, LV
6/13/2012 9:22pm
chump6784 wrote:
Well I guess he lives there so it probably makes things easier being a citizen but no way in hell can he race for you guys...
Well I guess he lives there so it probably makes things easier being a citizen but no way in hell can he race for you guys at MXDN
iudi2006 wrote:
Yeah sure he can. Jeff Ward is a perfect example of a person with dual citizenship racing for the US when he was born in Scotland...
Yeah sure he can. Jeff Ward is a perfect example of a person with dual citizenship racing for the US when he was born in Scotland. So it has been done before.
chump6784 wrote:
Technically he could but there would be hell to pay
No shit, hah!?
WhoopDeeDoo
Posts
25
Joined
1/15/2011
Location
Minneapolis, MN, USA
6/13/2012 11:22pm
Saltybrad wrote:
A nice addition
Agreed. And with his experience, it's time to start grooming him for Roger's job as MXDN team manager. I see it happening some day.

My family saw Chad and Michael Byrne out at Millville one year. We were standing watching the Friday night pit bike race (I kid you not, Jlaw was flying), and turn around and there is Chad and Michael watching the action on the (I think) Suzuki mule. They were both great guys and autographed my daughers hat for her. He is a great ambassador for our sport.

Welcome aboard Chad.
zedbike
Posts
81
Joined
5/9/2009
Location
Melbourne, AU
6/13/2012 11:51pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2012 11:52pm
I will bet both my knackers that he will NEVER ride or manage for the USA...................ever.

Aussie boy through and through, probably just makes things easier for him having the dual citizenship
VET176
Posts
1358
Joined
5/13/2011
Location
Brisbane, AU
6/14/2012 12:07am
zedbike wrote:
I will bet [u]both[/u] my knackers that he will NEVER ride or manage for the USA...................ever. Aussie boy through and through, probably just makes things easier...
I will bet both my knackers that he will NEVER ride or manage for the USA...................ever.

Aussie boy through and through, probably just makes things easier for him having the dual citizenship
Don't bet on it.

Now I know how the Kiwi's feel whenever Australia pinches one of their top sportsmen.
6/14/2012 12:14am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Yeah, Kurri Kurri is a shit hole.

There must be something in the water there though, because Casey Stoner was born there as well Blink
According to wiki:

2007 saw Kurri Kurri noted for Australian motorcycle racing, with Supercross champion Chad Reed, MotoGP champion Casey Stoner and Australian Superbike champion Jamie Stauffer all once members of Kurri Kurri Junior Motorcycle Club




What's the odds on that? Kind of like the old El Cajon zone!
Devil1nNj
Posts
960
Joined
11/12/2006
Location
Hewitt, NJ, USA
6/14/2012 12:17am
zedbike wrote:
I will bet [u]both[/u] my knackers that he will NEVER ride or manage for the USA...................ever. Aussie boy through and through, probably just makes things easier...
I will bet both my knackers that he will NEVER ride or manage for the USA...................ever.

Aussie boy through and through, probably just makes things easier for him having the dual citizenship
Thank you.
When I read the first comment where this came up I chuckled. Getting towards the end was like stumbling across your gran gran in some granny porn...all the screaming in the world isn't gonna make it stop. You're gonna have to take to physical mouse and type action...You did just that. You SIR, are a hero!

Reed damn well should never ride at the MXdN for anyone but AUS, unless we all want to watch the highlights of the "Reality Show MXdn" on TMZ, and watch everything (we have left Tongue ) sacred become morally bankrupt.
mxmaniac08
Posts
507
Joined
8/6/2008
Location
Melbourne, AU
6/14/2012 3:57am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Yeah, Kurri Kurri is a shit hole.

There must be something in the water there though, because Casey Stoner was born there as well Blink
Thats it.. im moving there. I will be on the line at Assen GP or southwick soon!

Post a reply to: Chad Reed officially....

The Latest