Absolutely without compromise

Edited Date/Time 5/12/2020 7:29am
I was just imagining today what a bike build with no monetarial or technological limits would be like.. A lot like production supercars and hyper cars of today being built with the finest and lightest weight technologies available (ex carbon fiber wheels, brakes, chassis ect..) and no expense spared or time limit put on developing the absolute fastest/best car the world has seen. What would a dirtbike with the same effort invested look/feel like on track? How light could they get it if it did not need to meet a standardized weight minimum for racing? Could they replace many of the parts with carbon and possibly create a 150lb 450cc bike with 90 horsepower, or even better perhaps? And what manufacturer or super rich guy would lay down the $ to create a one off super dirtbike? Am I the only one who has ever thought this?
|
AK74
5/11/2020 10:22am
Once upon a time, such bikes existed in MX:

5/11/2020 10:27am Edited Date/Time 5/11/2020 10:31am
I was just imagining today what a bike build with no monetarial or technological limits would be like.. A lot like production supercars and hyper cars...
I was just imagining today what a bike build with no monetarial or technological limits would be like.. A lot like production supercars and hyper cars of today being built with the finest and lightest weight technologies available (ex carbon fiber wheels, brakes, chassis ect..) and no expense spared or time limit put on developing the absolute fastest/best car the world has seen. What would a dirtbike with the same effort invested look/feel like on track? How light could they get it if it did not need to meet a standardized weight minimum for racing? Could they replace many of the parts with carbon and possibly create a 150lb 450cc bike with 90 horsepower, or even better perhaps? And what manufacturer or super rich guy would lay down the $ to create a one off super dirtbike? Am I the only one who has ever thought this?
No monetarial or technological limits?

It would definitely have a ZRT throttle tube installed.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
5/11/2020 10:35am
Didn't Dirt Bike magazine make a 167 lb 125 project bike ? I seem to remember the test saying it felt super light until practice when it got covered with mud Laughing
cwtoyota
5/11/2020 10:43am
sumdood wrote:
Didn't Dirt Bike magazine make a 167 lb 125 project bike ? I seem to remember the test saying it felt super light until practice when...
Didn't Dirt Bike magazine make a 167 lb 125 project bike ? I seem to remember the test saying it felt super light until practice when it got covered with mud Laughing
Yeah, I remember that one, lots of carbon fiber on that thing.
That article was in the mag sometime around 1996 or 1997 if my memory is correct.

These days, in terms of light weight bikes, my stock-ish YZ125 weighs about 203 with a full tank of gas and heavy duty tubes in the tires... I'm sure that CR was weighed without fuel (about 6.5 pounds per gallon).

The Shop

SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
5/11/2020 4:53pm
sumdood wrote:
Didn't Dirt Bike magazine make a 167 lb 125 project bike ? I seem to remember the test saying it felt super light until practice when...
cwtoyota wrote:
Yeah, I remember that one, lots of carbon fiber on that thing. That article was in the mag sometime around 1996 or 1997 if my memory...
That article was in the mag sometime around 1996 or 1997 if my memory is correct.

These days, in terms of light weight bikes, my stock-ish YZ125 weighs about 203 with a full tank of gas and heavy duty tubes in the tires... I'm sure that CR was weighed without fuel (about 6.5 pounds per gallon).
I think it was 1994?
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
5/11/2020 6:08pm
sumdood wrote:
cwtoyota wrote:
Yeah, I remember that one, lots of carbon fiber on that thing. That article was in the mag sometime around 1996 or 1997 if my memory...

SKIDLID wrote:
I think it was 1994?
Want to hear something funny ? I was wondering why I could remember "167 lb dirtbike" when I can't remember what I had for breakfast. Then I remembered a photo of my kids from a Mexico trip where that magazine went along. I read that mag way too many time because we had some rainy days that trip...Shocked I don't remember what year, and can't see any dates on the magazine but the kids are 28 and 31 now, so it was awhile ago. LaughingLaughing Anyway here's a picture of the mag,( and my kids Smile )

5/12/2020 7:03am
cwtoyota wrote:

SKIDLID wrote:
I think it was 1994?
sumdood wrote:
Want to hear something funny ? I was wondering why I could remember "167 lb dirtbike" when I can't remember what I had for breakfast. Then...
Want to hear something funny ? I was wondering why I could remember "167 lb dirtbike" when I can't remember what I had for breakfast. Then I remembered a photo of my kids from a Mexico trip where that magazine went along. I read that mag way too many time because we had some rainy days that trip...Shocked I don't remember what year, and can't see any dates on the magazine but the kids are 28 and 31 now, so it was awhile ago. LaughingLaughing Anyway here's a picture of the mag,( and my kids Smile )

Lol some things just stick in your memory forever... like a 167lb 125 for instance! 😂
Lightning78
5/12/2020 7:29am
I had that dirtbike magazine issue....it was an On The Line CR125, everything was carbon fiber on the plastics except like the fuel tank. The fenders broke and had sharp edges I think they said and the even changed the forks to some marzocchi's conventional right side up forks.

Decoster was one of the guys that tested the bike in that issue too! ...... I can still remember the pics of it all covered in heavy chunks of mud bec they tested it somewhere other than socal I think.

Post a reply to: Absolutely without compromise

The Latest