2019 Yamaha YZF450 - show yours & experiences

rockyuno
Edited Date/Time 7/17/2019 11:49am
New to blue, been riding the new YZF450 for 10hrs and i’m very happy with it.

Any advice to share? Best mods to do?
|
7/3/2019 12:03pm
Very nice. Get the Twin Air Powerflow Air Filter kit. Put in the Travis Preston map. Set sag. Use the clickers to get yourself comfortable on varied terrain. Ride hard and enjoy. Check the spokes and sprocket bolts after every ride your first few times out. Once seated the spokes will never come loose. Same with the sprocket bolts.

The Shop

Motofinne
7/3/2019 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2019 12:43pm
1. Gripper seat cover (and firmer foam if you like firmer seats). I used Guts velcro on my 18 and 19 for awhile but it wore out quickly. Like you can see i just installed Blackbirds gripper seat and it is great thus far.

2. Xtrig Rocs clamps with PHDS bar mounts. Everyone crashes and even the smallest tipover made my bars twist with the stock clamps/bar mounts (this is a disaster for anyone that races, even on the lowest level of racing). This set up fixes it. Yes it is expensive but this is absolutely the best money can get and 100% worth it. You can also change the offset but i like the stock offset so i haven't tried the other (24mm). The PHDS bar mounts can be compared to riding on clouds, amazing.

3. GYTR skidplate. Great protection and attatched with 3 bolts. I drilled mine so that it gives more airflow.

Other notables: I have an Öhlins Flow shock on mine. I found one used (7 hours on it when i bought it) and it was a too good of a deal to not take. I like that it is a bit on the softer side, it handles braking bumps in a fantastic manner. But this is nothing that you "have" to get. ARC levers are also nice and throw away the tall stock handlebar.

The only reason why i would get an aftermarket exhaust is if you want to drop weight or if you want something that looks better.

Edit: One thing i forgot. I have noticed this summer when it gets hot that the front brake starts fading mid moto around 10-15 minutes. I haven't done anything to fix it yet (30h on the bike). Anyone with the same experience that has a fix for it?

Hudd_421
7/3/2019 12:39pm
55 hours on mine, love it stock. Honestly, TP map is way too fast for me (Local A rider). I run a much tamer map developed by Merge that John Short ran all last year for the nationals. TP map may be good for fast, deep tracks. For rough, rutted tracks like we have in Texas, it's far too much.

As for the handlebar mounts bending...they're rubber mounted, so all you have to do is smack them back in place (seems better than spending $700 on clamps). Ride engineering has a 1 piece mount for like 100 bucks that remedies the problem.

Stock valving is great, run sag at 105-108 with forks about 4 mil up.

Only mods I made were a gripper seat cover and lollipop style axle blocks. Front brake will fade after 15 min, might look into buying a KTM MC and 07 yz caliper.
luckyguy19
7/3/2019 4:14pm
Hudd_421 wrote:
55 hours on mine, love it stock. Honestly, TP map is way too fast for me (Local A rider). I run a much tamer map developed...
55 hours on mine, love it stock. Honestly, TP map is way too fast for me (Local A rider). I run a much tamer map developed by Merge that John Short ran all last year for the nationals. TP map may be good for fast, deep tracks. For rough, rutted tracks like we have in Texas, it's far too much.

As for the handlebar mounts bending...they're rubber mounted, so all you have to do is smack them back in place (seems better than spending $700 on clamps). Ride engineering has a 1 piece mount for like 100 bucks that remedies the problem.

Stock valving is great, run sag at 105-108 with forks about 4 mil up.

Only mods I made were a gripper seat cover and lollipop style axle blocks. Front brake will fade after 15 min, might look into buying a KTM MC and 07 yz caliper.
Any chance you could post that map? I'm also looking for a tamer smooth map for my 19.

I love this bike, best bike I've owned. I can ride everything from Moto to desert with just small suspension clicker changes.

49weasel
7/3/2019 5:04pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2019 5:05pm
Very nice. Get the Twin Air Powerflow Air Filter kit. Put in the Travis Preston map. Set sag. Use the clickers to get yourself comfortable on...
Very nice. Get the Twin Air Powerflow Air Filter kit. Put in the Travis Preston map. Set sag. Use the clickers to get yourself comfortable on varied terrain. Ride hard and enjoy. Check the spokes and sprocket bolts after every ride your first few times out. Once seated the spokes will never come loose. Same with the sprocket bolts.
Get the No-Toil version. It’s way cheaper and does the same thing.

I’ve got 30 hrs on mine and it’s been flawless. Got the suspension done. Taller or stiffer seat foam are a must have.
Bike is good (not great ) at everything.
7/3/2019 5:31pm
Very nice. Get the Twin Air Powerflow Air Filter kit. Put in the Travis Preston map. Set sag. Use the clickers to get yourself comfortable on...
49weasel wrote:
Get the No-Toil version. It’s way cheaper and does the same thing. I’ve got 30 hrs on mine and it’s been flawless. Got the suspension done...

I’ve got 30 hrs on mine and it’s been flawless. Got the suspension done. Taller or stiffer seat foam are a must have.
Had not heard of that. Good tip.

I totally agree, and it's pretty typical for Yamaha these days. Not outstanding at anything, but great at everything.

I'm still jaded from my experience with my YZ250 (smoker) and having to replace third gear THREE times, but overall, for us regular folk, it's hard to find a more reliable, stable, predictable motorcycle.
7/3/2019 5:35pm
How is the difference with the taller seat. As a decently tall guy 6'1" I can barely get my knees to bend far enough with braces to get my feet up on the pegs, forget about them being in the correct spot that's out the window. Felt more comfortable on the previous chassis honestly. I thought I loved it The motor and suspension are the best I've ever rode but I just can't get comfortable on it, thinking about just paying it off and getting out of it now while my knee is blown out
7/3/2019 8:55pm
How is the difference with the taller seat. As a decently tall guy 6'1" I can barely get my knees to bend far enough with braces...
How is the difference with the taller seat. As a decently tall guy 6'1" I can barely get my knees to bend far enough with braces to get my feet up on the pegs, forget about them being in the correct spot that's out the window. Felt more comfortable on the previous chassis honestly. I thought I loved it The motor and suspension are the best I've ever rode but I just can't get comfortable on it, thinking about just paying it off and getting out of it now while my knee is blown out
Get the fastway pegs and run them in the low position. Made a big difference for me at 6'
PJRAUS
7/4/2019 2:50am
49weasel wrote:
Get the No-Toil version. It’s way cheaper and does the same thing. I’ve got 30 hrs on mine and it’s been flawless. Got the suspension done...

Had not heard of that. Good tip. I totally agree, and it's pretty typical for Yamaha these days. Not outstanding at anything, but great at everything...

I totally agree, and it's pretty typical for Yamaha these days. Not outstanding at anything, but great at everything.

I'm still jaded from my experience with my YZ250 (smoker) and having to replace third gear THREE times, but overall, for us regular folk, it's hard to find a more reliable, stable, predictable motorcycle.
Im sure I've seen you post about that 3rd gear issue before...Im curious...Are you a hard riding A class rider? Were you putting a lot of hours on the bike?
I know that this is a known issue, yet so many seem unaffected.
When you replaced both 3rd gear cogs...did you replace the shift fork? Examine the shift forks and shift drum really closely?
Did the teeth in the cogs break or the dogs round off?
What Im getting at , is that it seems bizarre that you had to do this 3 times, was jt possible that there was a shift fork / shift drum related problem that resulted in insufficient or sloppy movable meshing?
There is a rider who lives near me , rides at our track frequently and he has a yz 250 , he is as hard a rider as it is to imagine ..top professional racer here...dont see him riding that bike now as hes not with Yamaha anymore..
I will ask him how many hours he racked up on that bike and if he had any issues..
Motofinne
7/15/2019 1:37pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2019 2:22pm
Motofinne wrote:
1. Gripper seat cover (and firmer foam if you like firmer seats). I used Guts velcro on my 18 and 19 for awhile but it wore...
1. Gripper seat cover (and firmer foam if you like firmer seats). I used Guts velcro on my 18 and 19 for awhile but it wore out quickly. Like you can see i just installed Blackbirds gripper seat and it is great thus far.

2. Xtrig Rocs clamps with PHDS bar mounts. Everyone crashes and even the smallest tipover made my bars twist with the stock clamps/bar mounts (this is a disaster for anyone that races, even on the lowest level of racing). This set up fixes it. Yes it is expensive but this is absolutely the best money can get and 100% worth it. You can also change the offset but i like the stock offset so i haven't tried the other (24mm). The PHDS bar mounts can be compared to riding on clouds, amazing.

3. GYTR skidplate. Great protection and attatched with 3 bolts. I drilled mine so that it gives more airflow.

Other notables: I have an Öhlins Flow shock on mine. I found one used (7 hours on it when i bought it) and it was a too good of a deal to not take. I like that it is a bit on the softer side, it handles braking bumps in a fantastic manner. But this is nothing that you "have" to get. ARC levers are also nice and throw away the tall stock handlebar.

The only reason why i would get an aftermarket exhaust is if you want to drop weight or if you want something that looks better.

Edit: One thing i forgot. I have noticed this summer when it gets hot that the front brake starts fading mid moto around 10-15 minutes. I haven't done anything to fix it yet (30h on the bike). Anyone with the same experience that has a fix for it?

I thought i would write a small update regarding point 2.

Yesterday i collided mid air in a double-double section with an other rider at a Finnish B-class race. It was probably one of the biggest crashes that i have had for years.

There is no way that i would've been able to finish the race without the Xtrig clamps/bar mounts. The ARC brake lever was ruined and the front end was a bit twisted but the bars/bar mounts themselves were straight.

If you race, the Xtrig ROCS clamps is seriously a must-have.
7/15/2019 2:15pm
49weasel wrote:

Had not heard of that. Good tip. I totally agree, and it's pretty typical for Yamaha these days. Not outstanding at anything, but great at everything...

PJRAUS wrote:
Im sure I've seen you post about that 3rd gear issue before...Im curious...Are you a hard riding A class rider? Were you putting a lot of...
Im sure I've seen you post about that 3rd gear issue before...Im curious...Are you a hard riding A class rider? Were you putting a lot of hours on the bike?
When you replaced both 3rd gear cogs...did you replace the shift fork? Examine the shift forks and shift drum really closely?
What Im getting at , is that it seems bizarre that you had to do this 3 times, was jt possible that there was a shift fork / shift drum related problem that resulted in insufficient or sloppy movable meshing?
There is a rider who lives near me , rides at our track frequently and he has a yz 250 , he is as hard a rider as it is to imagine ..top professional racer here...dont see him riding that bike now as hes not with Yamaha anymore..
I will ask him how many hours he racked up on that bike and if he had any issues..
PJ, I didn't see your post until just now when Motofinnebro brought this thread back up.

I did examine everything. The dogs were rounded off, and I mean just barely, but it was enough. I still have that damn thing from the last time I changed it. I'll take a picture for you, but I doubt you'll really be able to tell.

I'm an almost 58-year-old vet rider with no chance of me going anywhere near to A class or B class speed. Sometimes I can ride pretty good for an older guy - if it's cool out and I've been taking my Geritol.

After the third failure, I just took the whole transmission apart down to the last piece and sent the whole thing to Evan's Cryorem up in Atlanta. For $350 dollars they dropped it into liquid nitrogen for 24 hours, then tumbled it for three days in ceramic media. Never had a problem after that.

So here's a pic. Not the greatest, but I'm telling you it doesn't take much. What it would do is jump into a false neutral - usually at the worst time. I do shift without letting off the throttle. I fan the clutch and shift. When I was a kid we called that "speed shifting" but that was along time ago.

PJRAUS
7/15/2019 4:51pm

PJRAUS wrote:
Im sure I've seen you post about that 3rd gear issue before...Im curious...Are you a hard riding A class rider? Were you putting a lot of...
PJ, I didn't see your post until just now when Motofinnebro brought this thread back up. I did examine everything. The dogs were rounded off, and...
PJ, I didn't see your post until just now when Motofinnebro brought this thread back up.

I did examine everything. The dogs were rounded off, and I mean just barely, but it was enough. I still have that damn thing from the last time I changed it. I'll take a picture for you, but I doubt you'll really be able to tell.

I'm an almost 58-year-old vet rider with no chance of me going anywhere near to A class or B class speed. Sometimes I can ride pretty good for an older guy - if it's cool out and I've been taking my Geritol.

After the third failure, I just took the whole transmission apart down to the last piece and sent the whole thing to Evan's Cryorem up in Atlanta. For $350 dollars they dropped it into liquid nitrogen for 24 hours, then tumbled it for three days in ceramic media. Never had a problem after that.

So here's a pic. Not the greatest, but I'm telling you it doesn't take much. What it would do is jump into a false neutral - usually at the worst time. I do shift without letting off the throttle. I fan the clutch and shift. When I was a kid we called that "speed shifting" but that was along time ago.

Its very strange..I asked the rider I know how he went with his, he said he got the bike when it already had 20 hours on it and he thought he put probably another 20 on it and had no problems and he is an extremely hard riding pro.
I would have thought it had to be a shift drum related problem for it to be jumping out of gear into a false neutral...
I have a brand new 17 yz 250 just sitting there...had it a year now and still havent started it or ridden it...its a bucket list project bike...not riding it till I can afford to do all the mods to it that I want..
7/15/2019 6:19pm
Yeah. They're great bikes and so predictable, but some guys - including me - have had third gear problems. I don't understand it, as when I find a guy that's had problems with his YZ 250 transmission, it's always third gear. It's never another gear.

I also bought a 2015 YZ 125 brand new off the floor. It was so fun, but half the time it wouldn't shift with power applied. More than a few times I figured I had bent the shift lever trying to shift up (of course I didn't). Yamaha, as long as they've been around, you'd think the transmissions would be bullet proof, and for most people they are. Just not for me and a few others.

Anyhow, the route to follow - if you have tranny problems - is cryorem. Plus it adds about another horsepower as the tranny is so slick after treatment that friction power loss is reduced.
7/15/2019 6:24pm
Oh, wanted to add how I've never one time heard of the Yami 4t line having tranny problems. In fact, I've never heard one complaint about them. I'm certainly not making the claim the 4t line has never had problems - only that I've never heard of any.
seventeen
7/15/2019 6:31pm
Yeah. They're great bikes and so predictable, but some guys - including me - have had third gear problems. I don't understand it, as when I...
Yeah. They're great bikes and so predictable, but some guys - including me - have had third gear problems. I don't understand it, as when I find a guy that's had problems with his YZ 250 transmission, it's always third gear. It's never another gear.

I also bought a 2015 YZ 125 brand new off the floor. It was so fun, but half the time it wouldn't shift with power applied. More than a few times I figured I had bent the shift lever trying to shift up (of course I didn't). Yamaha, as long as they've been around, you'd think the transmissions would be bullet proof, and for most people they are. Just not for me and a few others.

Anyhow, the route to follow - if you have tranny problems - is cryorem. Plus it adds about another horsepower as the tranny is so slick after treatment that friction power loss is reduced.
Hey Harry, please note the title of the thread.
7/15/2019 6:43pm
seventeen wrote:
Thanks. I appreciate you pointing that out. Hey PJbro, next time you ask me a question please start a separate thread. We don't want "seventeen" to be triggered.
Motofinne
7/15/2019 9:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2019 9:59pm
Oh, wanted to add how I've never one time heard of the Yami 4t line having tranny problems. In fact, I've never heard one complaint about...
Oh, wanted to add how I've never one time heard of the Yami 4t line having tranny problems. In fact, I've never heard one complaint about them. I'm certainly not making the claim the 4t line has never had problems - only that I've never heard of any.
3 friends of mine have had 3rd gear failures on their 18/19 YZF 450. One of them isn't even that fast and his 4th gear failed too only 2 hours after he fixed the 3rd gear issue one week ago.

All of them take care of their bikes. This is not down to user error.

But i haven't had any issues (knock on wood). 60h on my 2018 and 35 on my 2019 right now.
PJRAUS
7/16/2019 12:23am
Oh, wanted to add how I've never one time heard of the Yami 4t line having tranny problems. In fact, I've never heard one complaint about...
Motofinne wrote:
3 friends of mine have had 3rd gear failures on their 18/19 YZF 450. One of them isn't even that fast and his 4th gear failed...
3 friends of mine have had 3rd gear failures on their 18/19 YZF 450. One of them isn't even that fast and his 4th gear failed too only 2 hours after he fixed the 3rd gear issue one week ago.

But i haven't had any issues (knock on wood). 60h on my 2018 and 35 on my 2019 right now.
That is very strange indeed! ..did any of those guys get to the bottom of the reason why? I mean an exact 100% certain ,this was the reason diagnosis?
foreman52
Fantasy
3183rd
7/16/2019 7:23am
Motofinne wrote:
3 friends of mine have had 3rd gear failures on their 18/19 YZF 450. One of them isn't even that fast and his 4th gear failed...

I had this problem in my 18 last year. Had to replace the entire motor. Went through three starter clutches as well. One of my good VET rider buddies also went through a motor and three starter clutches. Needless to say we both traded them in this year for a colour that was not blue.
rockyuno
7/16/2019 7:30am
Never heard any problem with the gearbox here. A lot of friends are running 18/19 YZF450 because it's the cheapest bike. Most of them are fast A level riders, using almost stock bikes.

How many hours are you putting on the top end?
foreman52
Fantasy
3183rd
7/16/2019 7:37am
rockyuno wrote:
Never heard any problem with the gearbox here. A lot of friends are running 18/19 YZF450 because it's the cheapest bike. Most of them are fast...
Never heard any problem with the gearbox here. A lot of friends are running 18/19 YZF450 because it's the cheapest bike. Most of them are fast A level riders, using almost stock bikes.

How many hours are you putting on the top end?
I only put about 25 hours on the replacement motor. Bike wouldn't start anymore so bought another starter clutch which didn't resolve the issue. Dug deeper to find out the the exhaust valves were out of spec, the timing chain had jumped and was completely worn out, and the cylinder needed to be replaced.

But yet, there are guys around here that have never had an issue with them.

Anyways...this is a 19 forum not an 18 so I won't beat this to death. This was my 8th brand new Yamaha and it will certainly be my last with everything I went through.

I do get asked a lot how I like the Yamaha compared to my 19 CRF450 (my first Honda) and I can say that I do enjoy the Honda more. I'm a taller guy and I found that I fought the Yamaha a lot in the turns (compared to the previous model).
seventeen
7/16/2019 12:14pm
seventeen wrote:
By the way...STFU NOOB.
And I am the one who is "triggered"... typical hypocritical pussy you are Harry...just keep to the thread and don't act like a bitch when you are called out...Bitch.
7/16/2019 9:06pm
Is anyone running tall bars? I always ran CR highs and loved the bend but I'm worried they'l be too high since the 18/19 has taller mounts than the previous gen. I hate the stock bars and actually do want something taller I'm just scared cr highs will be too much. Thinking bars, tall seat, and maybe lower pegs will help me (6'1")

Post a reply to: 2019 Yamaha YZF450 - show yours & experiences

The Latest