MXGP Game Review! *More New Gameplay Videos*

Phillips467
Posts
1597
Joined
6/4/2010
Location
Worthing, GB
Edited Date/Time 5/4/2014 11:23am
I was lucky enough to test the MXGP game last week, and I wrote up a review with details on most aspects of the game! I know a lot of people have questions about this game, so I thought it might be helpful to some of you!

http://www.mxvice.com/features/racing/review-mxgp-game/
|
JW381
Posts
10638
Joined
7/21/2009
Location
Harrisburg, OR, USA
2/17/2014 9:27am
Thanks man, I literally cannot wait. I know im gonna get suckered into buying it off eBay for like 80 bucks haha assuming it's not region locked.
2/17/2014 11:41am
Wow, great review! Sounds absolutely awesome!
2/17/2014 1:27pm
Can't wait. This game sounds like everything we have always cried for. Looks stellar in design and authenticity. I'll get it no matter what the cost or hassle.
2/17/2014 1:55pm
You mentioned the game getting stale after beating the AI, and that's exactly why I posted what I did in the "Livestream footage of MXGP" thread. Hopefully my idea can be worked into future games, either with MvA or MXGP as I think it would greatly increase the longevity of the game.

The Shop

JohnnyMc
Posts
130
Joined
2/12/2014
Location
Somewhere, CA, USA
2/18/2014 11:26am
Some constructive criticism for the author if he doesn't mind...
It was a nice read. Calling it a preview would have made more sense imo. Overall you hit the major aspects of the game we want to know about, so thank you. However, a lot of the really neat details I was looking for were missing if your going to call it a review. You mentioned bike settings but what other bike settings besides suspenion is there and how much affect they had..subtle or extreme? How hard is the ai on realistic mode? You mentioned the Time Attack...maybe I know what that is but forgot. Are you talking about timed practice sessions against your own ghost? For races, what time length options for the moto's do we have? Once we are on a team, do we have any rider appearance options at all? Ive seen some criticism of the dual stick mode as far as how it compares to mva. It was mentioned the feature is in but you didnt make any comments about how it felt compared to mva. Just from the vids so far, terrain looks squishy everywhere. Do ruts actually form nicely because so far the short laps have not demonstrated it on youtube? Im sure people will take this post the wrong way. Hope author doesn't mind this post lol.
peelout
Posts
18422
Joined
1/6/2011
Location
Ogden, UT, USA
2/19/2014 10:46am
awesome thanks for posting, really looking forward to this game.

hopefully online multiplayer will be legit, that's all anyone really wants after beating the game once or twice anyway
Zycki11
Posts
7911
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Edwardsville, IL, USA
2/19/2014 3:43pm
peelout wrote:
awesome thanks for posting, really looking forward to this game. hopefully online multiplayer will be legit, that's all anyone really wants after beating the game once...
awesome thanks for posting, really looking forward to this game.

hopefully online multiplayer will be legit, that's all anyone really wants after beating the game once or twice anyway
I find after beating the game once. Drinking late at night and playing the career is a lot of fun.
yzjs7
Posts
1137
Joined
7/4/2013
Location
Antioch, CA, USA
2/19/2014 8:52pm
Remember my friends we still have to wait for this game to come to America. Is there a demo out yet?
Phillips467
Posts
1597
Joined
6/4/2010
Location
Worthing, GB
2/20/2014 11:05am
yzjs7 wrote:
Remember my friends we still have to wait for this game to come to America. Is there a demo out yet?
I've spoken to the developers about this, and apparently it will be released in the USA at some point, but they're not sure when at the moment. Also, there isn't going to be a demo.
JohnnyMc
Posts
130
Joined
2/12/2014
Location
Somewhere, CA, USA
2/20/2014 11:26am
Lewis,
GamesRadar posted a preview with some pretty bizarre statements about the game being like an old game called Road Rash. He says in mxgp the rider can do some dirty tactics. Im not sure if the guy is clueless or if he saw something new we hadn't seen before. None of the demo vids show that stuff. Any confirmation of what he is saying in this post: http://www.gamesradar.com/mxgp-blends-dirt-with-dirtier-tactics
JohnnyMc
Posts
130
Joined
2/12/2014
Location
Somewhere, CA, USA
2/20/2014 11:42am
GamesRadar preview posted - Bizarre preview where apparently the game is like Road Rash when it comes to racing. Never saw any of that in the videos! Either this guy saw something we havn't seen yet (pushing bikes down), he is clueless, or is full of crap. http://www.gamesradar.com/mxgp-blends-dirt-with-dirtier-tactics
yzjs7
Posts
1137
Joined
7/4/2013
Location
Antioch, CA, USA
2/20/2014 1:37pm
Didn't Mud come out a year later? That's too long to wait in my opinion.
motoman617
Posts
626
Joined
6/10/2012
Location
Camarillo, CA, USA
2/20/2014 6:30pm
Amazon has it up for pre- order for the PC version. Looks like a digital download for use with Steam. I'll probably get the PC version anyway so either the Amazon one or if it pops up on Steam I'll just get it there.
JohnnyMc
Posts
130
Joined
2/12/2014
Location
Somewhere, CA, USA
2/21/2014 11:59am
GamesRadar preview says the riders kick and push to make you crash (dirty tactics). I dont see any of that lol.

There is suppose to be a nice article in DirtRider mag.
JW381
Posts
10638
Joined
7/21/2009
Location
Harrisburg, OR, USA
2/21/2014 6:16pm
JohnnyMc wrote:
GamesRadar preview says the riders kick and push to make you crash (dirty tactics). I dont see any of that lol. There is suppose to be...
GamesRadar preview says the riders kick and push to make you crash (dirty tactics). I dont see any of that lol.

There is suppose to be a nice article in DirtRider mag.
GamesRadar is a bunch of geeks that live off 2-liters of MtnDew Code Red lol I read a few lines of that "preview" and promptly went back to pornhub. I don't need stupid filth like that shitty review on my computer.
JohnnyMc
Posts
130
Joined
2/12/2014
Location
Somewhere, CA, USA
2/21/2014 8:46pm
lol
tobz
Posts
3891
Joined
3/5/2007
Location
Adelaide, AU
2/22/2014 10:22pm
By the way guys, when I tested the game, I videoed one of my first laps around the Si Racha track. So, if you want to...
By the way guys, when I tested the game, I videoed one of my first laps around the Si Racha track. So, if you want to see how the Ai reacts, and what a different track looks like, check it out:

http://www.mxvice.com/media/videos/mx-vice-exclusive-mxgp-gameplay/
Mmm looks boring, if you can play really terrible like that, riding off track, falling of 4 or 5 times, overjump everything and still be up front... never understood why racing game creators allow preview videos like this. Doesn't look inspiring like the screenshots at all.

My 2c, unless someone can link a video of something different.
JohnnyMc
Posts
130
Joined
2/12/2014
Location
Somewhere, CA, USA
2/24/2014 8:32am
By the way guys, when I tested the game, I videoed one of my first laps around the Si Racha track. So, if you want to...
By the way guys, when I tested the game, I videoed one of my first laps around the Si Racha track. So, if you want to see how the Ai reacts, and what a different track looks like, check it out:

http://www.mxvice.com/media/videos/mx-vice-exclusive-mxgp-gameplay/
tobz wrote:
Mmm looks boring, if you can play really terrible like that, riding off track, falling of 4 or 5 times, overjump everything and still be up...
Mmm looks boring, if you can play really terrible like that, riding off track, falling of 4 or 5 times, overjump everything and still be up front... never understood why racing game creators allow preview videos like this. Doesn't look inspiring like the screenshots at all.

My 2c, unless someone can link a video of something different.
Yeah, Id prefer at least an animation for rider picking up the bike. Something to make the player pay for crashing out. Very little penalty in my opinion. Also, if it was on an easy mode what we saw would be fine as long as the ai is fast on the hardest settings it wont be boring. Maybe Lewis can remember what setting the ai was at - easy, medium, or realistic during his time with game?
The Rock
Posts
8758
Joined
3/21/2007
Location
HAIKU, HI, USA
2/25/2014 1:19pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2014 12:41am
When it is released in the US what will I need to play this game? Apologize for the neophyte question....guessing Xbox or Playstation but I'm in the 20th century when it comes to games.
Phillips467
Posts
1597
Joined
6/4/2010
Location
Worthing, GB
2/25/2014 2:57pm
By the way guys, when I tested the game, I videoed one of my first laps around the Si Racha track. So, if you want to...
By the way guys, when I tested the game, I videoed one of my first laps around the Si Racha track. So, if you want to see how the Ai reacts, and what a different track looks like, check it out:

http://www.mxvice.com/media/videos/mx-vice-exclusive-mxgp-gameplay/
tobz wrote:
Mmm looks boring, if you can play really terrible like that, riding off track, falling of 4 or 5 times, overjump everything and still be up...
Mmm looks boring, if you can play really terrible like that, riding off track, falling of 4 or 5 times, overjump everything and still be up front... never understood why racing game creators allow preview videos like this. Doesn't look inspiring like the screenshots at all.

My 2c, unless someone can link a video of something different.
JohnnyMc wrote:
Yeah, Id prefer at least an animation for rider picking up the bike. Something to make the player pay for crashing out. Very little penalty in...
Yeah, Id prefer at least an animation for rider picking up the bike. Something to make the player pay for crashing out. Very little penalty in my opinion. Also, if it was on an easy mode what we saw would be fine as long as the ai is fast on the hardest settings it wont be boring. Maybe Lewis can remember what setting the ai was at - easy, medium, or realistic during his time with game?
I went straight in and set in on the hardest difficulty, I didn't even bother trying out the others. But, it isn't as easy as it looks, it's actually one of the harder games out there, as you can't just hold it pinned everywhere. Also, in regard to crashing, that aspect of the game had not been finished when I played it (I played an early build), so that should be different when the final version is released.
tobz
Posts
3891
Joined
3/5/2007
Location
Adelaide, AU
2/25/2014 10:57pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2014 5:23am
Your serious? That's the hardest setting and you've produced a video where you hardly stay on the track yet your still at the pointy end of the field?

Don't get me wrong, I'll still get sucked in to buying it, but the video leaves a lot to be desired
2/26/2014 3:48am
Humm that is a bit worrying, I have to agree. Hopefully they've upped the difficulty since that earlier build..
Phillips467
Posts
1597
Joined
6/4/2010
Location
Worthing, GB
2/26/2014 3:51am
Humm that is a bit worrying, I have to agree. Hopefully they've upped the difficulty since that earlier build..
That is certainly a possibility. Also, seeing as I was playing as Tommy Searle, I was on one of the fastest bikes out there, which would have helped out a little bit!
JohnnyMc
Posts
130
Joined
2/12/2014
Location
Somewhere, CA, USA
2/26/2014 9:35am
Man I thought for sure you were playing on easy, or medium at the most. Even after 2 crashes on "realistic" mode, you should have been put back to last place, Searle's bike or not. I guess its up to Cairoli's ai skills in game if its going to be hard to win championship or not. If its too easy on "realistic", what you say about bike choice is annoying but I will have to just pick the lowest ranked team bike to give the ai riders a chance. I wont like it but if it keeps the racing close I will do it. Im still excited for the game and think its worth buying as its a huge change over Mud it seems. Online should be fun. Appreciate your responses Lewis, thanks.
Phillips467
Posts
1597
Joined
6/4/2010
Location
Worthing, GB
2/26/2014 12:20pm
JohnnyMc wrote:
Man I thought for sure you were playing on easy, or medium at the most. Even after 2 crashes on "realistic" mode, you should have been...
Man I thought for sure you were playing on easy, or medium at the most. Even after 2 crashes on "realistic" mode, you should have been put back to last place, Searle's bike or not. I guess its up to Cairoli's ai skills in game if its going to be hard to win championship or not. If its too easy on "realistic", what you say about bike choice is annoying but I will have to just pick the lowest ranked team bike to give the ai riders a chance. I wont like it but if it keeps the racing close I will do it. Im still excited for the game and think its worth buying as its a huge change over Mud it seems. Online should be fun. Appreciate your responses Lewis, thanks.
I think it's quite tough for someone to make competitive AI, it must be - they've sucked on every other game! MXGP is definitely one of the best ones out there for that, they're not great, but they at least give you a bit of a race. Like I said in my preview, it's the tracks that make it most difficult. You have to actually brake, set yourself up for corners etc. rather than hold it pinned everywhere. So, the challenges come from other areas!

No worries dude, I'm just a fan - I knew everyone would want to know this stuff! I can't wait to get my hands on the final copy.
Grieby54
Posts
2826
Joined
7/1/2008
Location
Castle Rock, CO, USA
3/1/2014 10:45am
So they used Ronny Mac for their style cues. Great.
1-forty-8
Posts
1764
Joined
9/9/2011
Location
GB
3/5/2014 12:42pm
Let's face it boys, when it comes to a real challenge it's gonna be all about multi-player. The career mode will be a nice way to learn the track and act as "local races".
Crash82
Posts
9022
Joined
9/16/2006
Location
MONTGOMERY, AL, USA
3/6/2014 7:23am
So when is some shit coming out? How many years do we have to hear about how awesome games are, can we just buy one damn. I love MX sim and I'm getting better, I'll never be able to ride SX, it's just too hard for an old guy.

Post a reply to: MXGP Game Review! *More New Gameplay Videos*

The Latest