Snowbike Build

dtl210
Edited Date/Time 12/5/2021 4:00pm
Not really a build - more just an assembly of parts. This one will go slow as I'm waiting on the snowbike kit still.

Starting point is a 450 SXF FE.

Step one is the intake.
Deep powder requires a pretty unique intake set-up to keep fresh air going to the motor. Not going to be running the stock intake boot, but this intake instead. It's called an Airforce Velocity stack. It has shown some pretty good gains on a dyno. No need for foam and oil when in the snow, just a pre-filter. I run two pre-filters to help keep the dry/fine powder out.

I also swapped out the back half of the airbox with one that I have already cut-up. Cutting the bottom out allows any snow that makes it into the airbox to fall out of the bottom. I kept the portion above the chain so that no chain grime makes it's way to the intake.

Cheap labor. Poor kids lost his 4 front teeth all at the same time.

|
smv ryder
Fantasy
1313th
10/25/2021 5:24pm
Thumper racing 662 big bore stroker?
Raze ninja NOS kit?
What snow bike kit and length?
dtl210
10/26/2021 5:17am
smv ryder wrote:
Thumper racing 662 big bore stroker?
Raze ninja NOS kit?
What snow bike kit and length?
Motor will stay stock. I like the reliability of a stock setup for where we take these things. We had a yzf loose a bottom end a few years back, quite the process to get it out!

Kit is a 2022 timbersled riot 3pro.
dtl210
10/26/2021 11:53am
Bigger, both wider and longer pegs are a huge help in the winter. Snowbike kits (not so much the new Timbersled units, but other brands) are wider than the bike and interfere with your foot placement causing you to stand pigeon footed. Longer pegs help a ton. These are also open in the center so that snow and ice don't build up. Also made here in Idaho. Cool

Forks dropped off at RG3 Northwest. They will get a spring conversion with a .62 spring rate and a snowbike specific valve job. Normally I run a .64 but with the Riot kit putting so much less weight on the ski we decided to reduce the spring rate and soften up the initial part of the stroke. Hopefully this will add some comfort and balance back into my set-up.

dtl210
11/1/2021 7:04am
Spent some time on the coolant set-up this weekend.

Timbersled thermostat with bypass 1 going to the handlebars, bypass 2 straight across and back into the motor. You can control where the flow goes with the little red knob.

Coolant plumbed into the bars.

Picture of the 2nd bypass layout.

Trailtech temp sensor is plumbed right into the thermostat. This is the simplest mounting location for the actual gauge that I've found. It's easy to see and read while riding.

The Shop

LOOnatic
11/1/2021 11:24am
Is the coolant plumbed to the bars to add capacity or heat the grips?
I live in south Louisiana so I have no idea about snow bikes but looks awesome for sure.
dtl210
11/1/2021 12:00pm
LOOnatic wrote:
Is the coolant plumbed to the bars to add capacity or heat the grips? I live in south Louisiana so I have no idea about snow...
Is the coolant plumbed to the bars to add capacity or heat the grips?
I live in south Louisiana so I have no idea about snow bikes but looks awesome for sure.
It's for heat. Coolant heated bars are work much better than electric. Keeping water temps up on a snowbike is a difficult task and probably the most annoying part of the whole sport - more on that coming soon.
dtl210
11/2/2021 5:45am
As mentioned above, maintaining water temps is a difficult task in the snow. My TC125 came with the radiator blocks, so I put them to use in the winter. Right radiator gets completely blocked, left radiator gets partially blocked. On the left I cut another thin piece of plastic that I can slide up and down on the fly as needed to cover up the hole in the radiator block.

Fastway wrap-around handguards are a must for snowbiking. Glancing off of trees happens far too often.

The Timbersled bars come with these neoprene wraps that help keep heat in the bars. Also helps the little guy not burn his hands when we're riding double.

Timbersled gauntlets to help keep wind and snow off the hands. They look ridiculous at first, but you get used to it, and warm/dry hands make the day so much more enjoyable and they don't restrict movement like the handlebar bags do.

And - forks are back. Built up for serious abuse!

dtl210
11/3/2021 11:09am
Probably the last update for a while. SXS snowshed plate. He's local to me and these definitely help with maintaining consistent water temps. Being a friend on Jon's, it's been cool to watch his products take off.

I also really enjoy all of the local support / products available for snowbikes. Timbersled kits are built in Idaho about an hour from me, Selkirk products are the same, about an hour away, SXS is 20 minutes away, and fastway is also an Idaho based company.

Now it'll get shoved into the corner as I wait for the 2022 Riot 3 Pro to arrive.

Looby321
11/3/2021 7:16pm
Nice! Is the SXS stuff a kydex type material?
dtl210
11/4/2021 6:29am
Looby321 wrote:
Nice! Is the SXS stuff a kydex type material?
The snow plates are HDPE, the dirt stuff is UHMW I believe.
dtl210
12/5/2021 4:00pm
Got a little excited and forgot to take pictures, but the Timbersled Riot 3 pro is here and ready to go!

bh
12/5/2021 6:09pm
is there a rear track on that 110 in the background lol?

Also do you mind taking some close ups of the mounting point? I've always been super curious on how those things mounted up. I would think they would put a big strain on the stock tower or the lower linkage mount on the frame.
dtl210
12/5/2021 6:35pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2021 6:36pm
bh wrote:
is there a rear track on that 110 in the background lol? Also do you mind taking some close ups of the mounting point? I've always...
is there a rear track on that 110 in the background lol?

Also do you mind taking some close ups of the mounting point? I've always been super curious on how those things mounted up. I would think they would put a big strain on the stock tower or the lower linkage mount on the frame.
Yeah, the 110 has a ripper kit on it. Was hoping to get another one for this winter, but the kits have been sold out since last winter. Santa is bringing some graphics that'll make this match mine.

The kit uses the swingarm bolt and the upper shock mount, nothing attaches to the lower linkage mount. I was worried about blowing out the upper shock mount when I started riding these in 2010, but haven't seen or heard of it happening. I have some material in there keep snow off of the back of the motor so it's hard to see how it mounts.

12/12/2021 1:26pm
do you guys need to mapped the bike any richer for snow biking or just running the engine stock?
dtl210
12/13/2021 9:33am
do you guys need to mapped the bike any richer for snow biking or just running the engine stock?
There are a few companies who offer a "snowbike" map. It's usually just a very aggressive tune. One thing that they do with an aftermarket ECU is remove the function where the bikes automatically run rich when it's cold.

Seems like a sketchy thing to do, so I just leave mine stock and focus more on keeping the temps up so the bike runs properly.

Post a reply to: Snowbike Build

The Latest