2002 rm125 school project (lot of pictures)

Related:
Create New Tag

5/5/2020 10:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/31/2020 3:27 PM

FOLLOW THE BUILD ON INSTAGRAM @rm125_rebuild
I’ve been wanting to get a 2 stroke project for a couple years now, but could never find a bike for the right price and that’s not too roached, but back in august of last year I found this 2002 rm125 that supposedly just needed a fresh top end.

Photo

Before we started tearing the bike apart we completely remodeled our garage, which dragged on forever.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo
Photo

The garage took us way longer than planned so the bike sat in our basement for about 5 months. Im in my sophomore year of high school and for my environmental science and stewardship class I have to do a supervised agricultural experience (SAE), which is an all school year long project that is a pretty big part of my overall grade. Luckily for me I am able to do this bike as my project! I’ve been able to partner up with a few awesome companies like Wiseco, Motion Pro, phat head racing, USchrome, reverend motors, specbolt, and firepower. I know this is the last month of school and now do to the Corona virus it’s turned to online school so I’ve finally decided to make a vital Mx post. Back in January I finally started tearing the bike apart.

Photo

Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo

So then my dad and I started tearing the engine apart because we are doing a complete engine rebuild with a Wiseco garage buddy rebuild kit.
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
The whole top end was completely clapped! So I sent the cylinder head off to Phat head racing and the cylinder to USchrome to repair it.
Photo
These billet Phat heads are definitely a sweet part! Turns out the cylinder is actually bored out to a 134.

So now we have the whole engine apart and the bottom end looked like it was still in pretty good shape. It’s been rebuilt before because it had a hot rods crank.
Photo

I’ve also powder coated a bunch of parts.
Photo
Photo
Photo
The one radiator brace came out really bad the first time but then I just sandblasted it again and soaked it in acetone and it came out perfect.

While I waited on different parts to come in I cleaned up a bunch parts I’m keeping on the bike.
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

Currently we are rebuilding the engine and I’ll upload pics of that as we go along.

|

5/5/2020 12:35 PM

Pretty cool build so far. Love the garage remodel too! what did you use to coat the floor?

|

5/5/2020 4:50 PM

kieran_macca wrote:

Pretty cool build so far. Love the garage remodel too! what did you use to coat the floor?

Thanks, we used the Rustoleum rock solid floor kit.

|

5/6/2020 12:31 AM

They look like RG3 bar clamps as they have 2 points at which they mount onto the top clamp

|

5/6/2020 7:52 AM

Whats your secret for getting the pipe back to new?

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

5/6/2020 4:13 PM

brooklynevans wrote:

They look like RG3 bar clamps as they have 2 points at which they mount onto the top clamp

Yah it’s an upper rg3 clamp but the lower is just oem.

|

5/6/2020 4:14 PM

Rickyisms wrote:

Whats your secret for getting the pipe back to new?

I used a little scotch bright wheel on a drill and then used a torch to get the heat lines.

|

5/8/2020 7:45 AM

I did some more work on the engine, I’ll post pics later.

|

5/8/2020 2:21 PM

I got the crank put in and tonight I’m doing the transmission.Photo
The shifting drum looks like it has a little chip in it but it should be fine.
Photo

|

5/9/2020 6:15 PM

So I put the transmission stuff in tonight, but I had to take the crank out of the right side case and put it into the left case so it would be on the same side as the transmission just to make it easier to put the cases together.
Photo

|

5/20/2020 12:04 PM

A couple of the bolts snapped off in the hub so I got a drill bit and was able to get them out except on the last one the drill bit broke off inside the bolt and now I can’t get the bolt out.
Photo

|

5/21/2020 2:48 PM

Anyone have suggestions on how I could get this out? I tried some type of drill bit but it wasn’t strong enough to drill through the broken drill bit.

|

5/21/2020 3:53 PM

Jordan94 wrote:

Anyone have suggestions on how I could get this out? I tried some type of drill bit but it wasn’t strong enough to drill through the broken drill bit.

Drill out as much as you can with a carbide endmill. Probably a 1/8th ball endmill to be specific. Take it slow and try to hollow out the center. Then, try a drill or an extractor to get out the rest. If that still doesn't work, I'd try to just fold the threads into itself with a tiny punch.

|

5/21/2020 6:18 PM

Jordan94 wrote:

RyanLester761 wrote:

Drill out as much as you can with a carbide endmill. Probably a 1/8th ball endmill to be specific. Take it slow and try to hollow out the center. Then, try a drill or an extractor to get out the rest. If that still doesn't work, I'd try to just fold the threads into itself with a tiny punch.

Alright I’ll look into that

|

5/23/2020 12:19 PM

In the process of dyeing my tank black. Got a redneck setup for it, but it should work.

Before:
Photo

Photo

|

5/26/2020 11:50 AM

Really looking forward your dyed tank !

|

5/27/2020 10:59 PM

kary wrote:

Really looking forward your dyed tank !

Well I looked at the tank the other day and for the most part it was black but on some parts it has kind of a green tint so I’m just letting it soak in the dye for longer.

|

5/29/2020 2:22 PM

I took the tank out of the dye today and it’s pretty much black but there are still a few spots that you can still see the yellow so I’m gonna heat up the dye again and let it soak in there longer. Photo

|

5/30/2020 4:28 PM

Little more progress on the engine today.
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

6/3/2020 5:43 PM

Photo
|

6/5/2020 7:01 PM

The new clutch basket came in today so now I can finish the engine.
Old Photo
New Photo

|

6/7/2020 7:08 PM

I got the driven gear off the old basket and put it on the new one Photo

|

6/12/2020 4:43 PM

Has anyone tried duracoat on their wheels? I wanna know if it will last?

|

6/12/2020 7:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/12/2020 7:17 PM

Would it last as long as powder coat?

|

6/15/2020 2:19 PM

Finished up the bottom end. Photo

|

6/15/2020 2:20 PM

Probably going to get some aftermarket clutch/ignition covers

|

6/15/2020 2:45 PM

nice build

|

6/15/2020 2:50 PM

philG wrote:

nice build

Thanks, it’s gonna be awesome when it’s done!

|

6/15/2020 3:16 PM

Jordan94 wrote:

Has anyone tried duracoat on their wheels? I wanna know if it will last?

I would think it would be comparable to Cerakote, I do not have experience with either product in MX applications.

|

6/15/2020 4:22 PM

Nice build, crazy deal with dying the tank. I’ve never seen that before!

|