2001 Plano Honda Project

Related:
Create New Tag

1/15/2019 1:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2019 8:46 PM

A neighbor was moving, and had an old dirtbike they didn't want to move. They asked if I wanted it, and of course I said yes. I was pleasantly surprised to see it was a CR125, and rolled it home planning to sell it as is or part it out. I ride and race harescrambles on a KTM 300, so I didn't plan on keeping it.

A quick inspection showed it to be moldy and rusty on the carbon steel parts, and the motor seized, but otherwise in really good shape considering how long it had leaned against the back of their shed. I put an ad on CL for what I figured to be a pretty fair "as is" price, and my phone started blowing up. I almost immediately got a full price offer sight unseen, and then a bidding war over asking started. I pulled the ad down and did some research. Most good search hits brought me here.

As it turns out, I believe I have a 2001 Plano Honda practice bike. I'll post questions and updates to this thread as they come up.

Here is a pic of what it looked like when I got it https://imgur.com/a/ZBP7oro

'Embed image' isn't working for me for some reason. If someone can explain what I'm doing wrong, or a mod can embed it for me, yes please.

|

2008 KTM 300XC - TORCS Open A

1/15/2019 1:45 PM

First questions:

1. I pulled the topend off last weekend, and the motor appears to be seized due to rusted main & rod bearings. The plating still looks great on the jug. Is there anything special about the crank, rod, or piston on this bike? Are they just standard '01 Honda parts?

2. What might it be worth when cleaned up and running?

|

2008 KTM 300XC - TORCS Open A

1/16/2019 5:48 PM

So what happened to all the Plano Honda experts in here? LOL

|

2008 KTM 300XC - TORCS Open A

1/16/2019 7:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/16/2019 7:39 PM

Here is the best I can do for you to get your research started:

Call Al Lambs service dept. and ask the manager if Steve Wagner is still running his small shop. Mr. Wagner owned Plano Honda and worked to make that team happen. His shop was off a country road near Boyd (if I remember). He had a lot of Plano nostalgia in his shop and told me stories of his racing days. So, yea start with looking him up and he might even put you in touch with an old school Plano mechanic who might have a tip or two for you to bring it back to glory.

good luck!

|

1/16/2019 7:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/16/2019 7:37 PM

Photo

* OP's photo
|

1/16/2019 7:47 PM

Actually, try reaching out to David Pingree, he was on that team, he would recognize if this a practice bike or just a kit.

|

1/16/2019 11:40 PM

Correct if I'm wrong but I think they ran -99 model cylinders and six speed gearbox from -97 model on their bikes.

Here is an another Plano Honda build https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/2001-Plano-Honda,1323007

|

1/17/2019 3:16 AM

Photo

This was my 2001 Plano practice bike.
|

1/17/2019 5:25 AM

Yeah it has a skid plate. The cylinder looks like the fiche for the 2001, but I'll compare it to the 99. Thanks.

|

2008 KTM 300XC - TORCS Open A

1/17/2019 8:42 AM

|

1/17/2019 2:01 PM

|

1/17/2019 4:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2019 4:17 PM

Couple more details. I was told that if it has a VIN, it's not a race bike. This has a VIN, but maybe some other details say otherwise? Skid plate mounts are welded to the frame, it has the orange insulation on the hoses, and Gio Tedesco's name on the shock reservoir.

https://imgur.com/UrVfVst

https://imgur.com/bwISZTn

https://imgur.com/u9PRLdc

|

2008 KTM 300XC - TORCS Open A

1/17/2019 5:58 PM

Does it have an AMA tech sticker by the steering head?

|

1/18/2019 4:06 AM

lappedrider wrote:

Does it have an AMA tech sticker by the steering head?

Practice bike not race bike.

|

1/18/2019 5:20 AM

Yes it has an AMA sticker.

https://imgur.com/aSZYkQN

|

2008 KTM 300XC - TORCS Open A

1/18/2019 5:29 AM

Might just be the photo but the peg looks set high in the mount.

|

1/18/2019 5:35 AM

trace.trimble wrote:

Couple more details. I was told that if it has a VIN, it's not a race bike. This has a VIN, but maybe some other details say otherwise? Skid plate mounts are welded to the frame, it has the orange insulation on the hoses, and Gio Tedesco's name on the shock reservoir.

https://imgur.com/UrVfVst

https://imgur.com/bwISZTn

https://imgur.com/u9PRLdc

Well looks like you have his old bike. Congrats.

|

1/18/2019 6:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2019 8:30 AM

Looking at the Vault on racer X it shows Gio Tedesco raced four supercross races in 2001 on A Honda Cr125 so that's probably his race bike judging by the AMA sticker and welded skid plate tabs.

https://vault.racerxonline.com/rider/gio-a-tedesco/races

|

1/18/2019 7:28 AM

SCORE!

|

1/18/2019 8:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2019 8:35 AM

This is Gio Tedesco's race bike in 2001. It appears he used a 2001 cylinder while other team riders were using the older cylinder (look in background)

Photo

|

1/18/2019 9:24 AM

What about the different race number?

So what might this thing be worth all cleaned up and running well?

Anyone know if the crank, rod, or piston were anything but OEM Honda parts?

|

2008 KTM 300XC - TORCS Open A

1/18/2019 10:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2019 10:15 AM

trace.trimble wrote:

What about the different race number?

So what might this thing be worth all cleaned up and running well?

Anyone know if the crank, rod, or piston were anything but OEM Honda parts?

Im not sure what you mean by different race number. Gio's number was 716. I also found a signed Gio jersey with that number on google images. But as far as different plastics the team probably stripped the bike and pieced it back together with a lot of stock and extra parts before they sold it off. You can tell by looking at the crank/rod/piston if its a standard part. My guess would be stock crank with forged piston

|

1/18/2019 10:13 AM

Photo
|

1/18/2019 12:21 PM

trace.trimble wrote:

What about the different race number?

So what might this thing be worth all cleaned up and running well?

Anyone know if the crank, rod, or piston were anything but OEM Honda parts?

Hondas4Life3 wrote:

Im not sure what you mean by different race number. Gio's number was 716. I also found a signed Gio jersey with that number on google images. But as far as different plastics the team probably stripped the bike and pieced it back together with a lot of stock and extra parts before they sold it off. You can tell by looking at the crank/rod/piston if its a standard part. My guess would be stock crank with forged piston

I think what he means is that his bike has #42 and you're showing Gio's bike with #716. Ivan Tedesco was #42 in 2001, so maybe it's his bike with Gio's shock on it.

|

1/18/2019 1:09 PM

Shredder wrote:

I think what he means is that his bike has #42 and you're showing Gio's bike with #716. Ivan Tedesco was #42 in 2001, so maybe it's his bike with Gio's shock on it.

Or Ivan's plastics on Gio's bike...Maybe the bike is build from Team Plano's left over parts which pretty common when teams are selling used bikes

|

1/22/2019 11:18 AM

really nice score, yes thats a legit bike

|

1/23/2019 1:28 AM

Saw this, looks like it might be another one of their bikes

https://texoma.craigslist.org/mcy/d/sadler-cr-125-dirt-bike/6800980775.html

|

1/24/2019 6:46 PM

trace.trimble wrote:

What about the different race number?

So what might this thing be worth all cleaned up and running well?

Anyone know if the crank, rod, or piston were anything but OEM Honda parts?

I'm not certain, but I'd be very surprised if the crank is stock if that is a race engine. I had an 01 and they were pretty slow in stock form, I think Plano had a pretty potent engine package for those bikes.
That said, I'm not certain you have a full race bike because there's some things missing. It's likely a bike that was built up from spares they had in the shop.

If you decide to sell it, I'm local and would be very interested. I had an 01 Plano bike back then and always wished I had kept it, plus I've been on the hunt for a 125 project.

|

1/28/2019 12:26 PM

Braaaphole wrote:

I'm not certain, but I'd be very surprised if the crank is stock if that is a race engine. I had an 01 and they were pretty slow in stock form, I think Plano had a pretty potent engine package for those bikes.
That said, I'm not certain you have a full race bike because there's some things missing. It's likely a bike that was built up from spares they had in the shop.

If you decide to sell it, I'm local and would be very interested. I had an 01 Plano bike back then and always wished I had kept it, plus I've been on the hunt for a 125 project.

What things are missing? I will be having the crank rebuilt unless there is a nasty surprise waiting for me in the case.

|

2008 KTM 300XC - TORCS Open A

1/28/2019 1:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2019 1:03 PM

trace.trimble wrote:

What things are missing? I will be having the crank rebuilt unless there is a nasty surprise waiting for me in the case.

Doesn't look like its missing much compared to the photo I posted before. Triple clamps, bars, graphics.. It appears that Gio's bike was mostly stock

|