1985 Yz250

Edited Date/Time 11/5/2021 3:41pm
Bought this to restore and race to keep my dad busy after mum died. It was a lot of work and searching for parts, but pleased with how it turned out. Lovely bike to ride with plenty of power.

|
quiknic
Fantasy
1093rd
11/3/2021 7:29am
Looks great, super clean look and I dig the fork & disc guard. Nice work!
450exc115
11/3/2021 8:33am
Nice!! I'm working on an 86 YZ250 myself. Picked it up about 6 weeks ago and gave it a quick refresh so that I could race it the last two rounds of our vintage Harescramble series. Bike is a lot of fun to ride and helped me win the last two events. Smile

I had a 86 YZ125 in high school so I've been looking for one to restore and race. A 125 is just a little to small for me adult size, lol so finding a 250 was key..

I've swapped out the forks for some 88 cartridge forks and plan to build an ohlins shock for it. Plus a full motor tear down.

Don't let the before pictures fool you it needed swing arm and link bearings, shock rebuild, rear wheel/axle setup was all messed up and was leaking oil from a bunch of places. lol

After sorting it out being owned by a few hacks.

The Shop

450exc115
11/5/2021 7:51am
Bike sounds good Miezie! That's quite the farm track, wish we had some of that here in New England. We're happy if we get just a few miles of grass/farm track as our woods races are mostly rocky/rooty tight woods racing.

For whatever reason the 85-87 YZs don't get much attention but they are really good bikes. With a little bit of help they can be great bikes. Cartridge forks, modern valving/spring for the shock, and some mild porting to the motor and it's really competitive even against newer bikes.
11/5/2021 3:41pm
450exc115 wrote:
Bike sounds good Miezie! That's quite the farm track, wish we had some of that here in New England. We're happy if we get just a...
Bike sounds good Miezie! That's quite the farm track, wish we had some of that here in New England. We're happy if we get just a few miles of grass/farm track as our woods races are mostly rocky/rooty tight woods racing.

For whatever reason the 85-87 YZs don't get much attention but they are really good bikes. With a little bit of help they can be great bikes. Cartridge forks, modern valving/spring for the shock, and some mild porting to the motor and it's really competitive even against newer bikes.
Yeah- i did put the additional inlet port into the cylinder, i m running boyesen reeds and a PC Pipe (only to save the OEM Pipe!) - this Bike makes so much fun- the engine has a hard midrange hit wich makes you smile everytime it picks up revs.
I have to do something about the front forks- the OEMs are not that great- i m sure there is a 88YZ125 in the basement waiting to get stripped... so i might take those forks.

These Tracks are common here- after the farmer has done harvesting we do some racing there

Post a reply to: 1985 Yz250

The Latest