2017 KTM 350SX absolutely SHREDDING!

DF313
Posts
699
Joined
6/17/2016
Location
Ogden, UT, USA

...itself apart from the inside...  

Changed the oil and found loads and LOADS of non magnetic, large, shreds of metal.  I will open it up and see what's going on, but I was curious if anybody knows what type of gasket came on these motors to mate the engine cases from the factory?  It looks to have an RTV type gasket on it, I was just trying to estimate if it had been opened at any point by a previous owner.  Thanks! 

|
RockyRider
Posts
348
Joined
3/10/2016
Location
Nor Cal, CA, USA
2/14/2024 9:52am

They have no case gasket, just RTV like you see 

YZed250
Posts
1369
Joined
11/9/2014
Location
Costa Mesa, CA, USA
2/14/2024 10:27am
DF313 wrote:
...itself apart from the inside...   Changed the oil and found loads and LOADS of non magnetic, large, shreds of metal.  I will open it up and...

...itself apart from the inside...  

Changed the oil and found loads and LOADS of non magnetic, large, shreds of metal.  I will open it up and see what's going on, but I was curious if anybody knows what type of gasket came on these motors to mate the engine cases from the factory?  It looks to have an RTV type gasket on it, I was just trying to estimate if it had been opened at any point by a previous owner.  Thanks! 

These engines are very reliable ... the only exception is the oiling system.. see idler gear failure. Usually leads to seizure and not large amounts of metal debris. Almost sounds like you lost a bearing (crank, trans etc).

DF313
Posts
699
Joined
6/17/2016
Location
Ogden, UT, USA
2/14/2024 11:27am
RockyRider wrote:

They have no case gasket, just RTV like you see 

thank you, I thought it looked too good to be a nonfactory rtv job.  I suspect it has not been open, but at 240 hours, I think it (obviously) past due

DF313
Posts
699
Joined
6/17/2016
Location
Ogden, UT, USA
2/14/2024 11:32am
DF313 wrote:
...itself apart from the inside...   Changed the oil and found loads and LOADS of non magnetic, large, shreds of metal.  I will open it up and...

...itself apart from the inside...  

Changed the oil and found loads and LOADS of non magnetic, large, shreds of metal.  I will open it up and see what's going on, but I was curious if anybody knows what type of gasket came on these motors to mate the engine cases from the factory?  It looks to have an RTV type gasket on it, I was just trying to estimate if it had been opened at any point by a previous owner.  Thanks! 

YZed250 wrote:
These engines are very reliable ... the only exception is the oiling system.. see idler gear failure. Usually leads to seizure and not large amounts of...

These engines are very reliable ... the only exception is the oiling system.. see idler gear failure. Usually leads to seizure and not large amounts of metal debris. Almost sounds like you lost a bearing (crank, trans etc).

Yeah I am curious, what it is.  Of course I bought the bike from the typical suspect, "regular oil changes, trail rides, ect ect" and it did run, look, and sound great, even when I drained the oil nothing alarming came out, but upon looking in the hole for the oil screen, it was unreal, probably a good couple teaspoons full of large silver, non magnetic shavings in that little bottom area.  But, I knew what i was buying and with the amount of hours on the bike I knew a full rebuild was coming sooner than later, just not this soon.  I will update this once its open.

1

The Shop

Kidkawie
Posts
1193
Joined
8/31/2012
Location
ქუთაისი, GE
2/16/2024 12:20pm

Do not use RTV silicone.

Use a case sealer, Yamabond, Kawasaki bond, 3bond, etc.

 

DF313
Posts
699
Joined
6/17/2016
Location
Ogden, UT, USA
2/21/2024 1:44pm
Kidkawie wrote:

Do not use RTV silicone.

Use a case sealer, Yamabond, Kawasaki bond, 3bond, etc.

 

the workshop manual recommends Loctite 5910.  I would assume that should work?  Unless somebody feels strongly otherwise?

DF313
Posts
699
Joined
6/17/2016
Location
Ogden, UT, USA
2/21/2024 2:07pm

So I found out what had been happening

The left hand thread nut that holds the primary gear in pace was coming off and spinning against the inside of the inner clutch cover.  That also allowed the primary gear to float up and rub on the cover as well.  Glad I caught it now, based on the pictures I don't know how much longer it would have lasted without total failure.  The snap ring just fell out, there was nothing left for it to snap into!20240221 094454%5B1%5D

 

1
YZed250
Posts
1369
Joined
11/9/2014
Location
Costa Mesa, CA, USA
2/21/2024 2:17pm

Great catch! 

I seem to recall the primary gear coming loose on my YZ250 and trying to exit the clutch cover in a similar fashion, ha ha!

 

1
sandman768
Posts
8245
Joined
3/21/2014
Location
Saratoga Springs, NY, USA
2/21/2024 3:48pm

Red loctite that prick back on….Good catch…had that happen to one of my RM250”s after a rebuild…

1

Post a reply to: 2017 KTM 350SX absolutely SHREDDING!

The Latest