1983 XR100

Homey55
Posts
1305
Joined
2/18/2010
Location
collinsville, OK, USA
Edited Date/Time 4/9/2025 12:00pm

Question for the bike build group:

I have an '83 XR100 sitting in my garage in pieces. It was running when it was taken apart about 15 years ago, and I have owned it since new. I'll never ride it again, and I want to sell it. Would it be more profitable to restore it, or just put it back together, get it running, and sell it as a running project?

Poll

What Should I Do?

Choices
|
Brad460
Posts
4586
Joined
5/15/2012
Location
Richfield, WI, USA
Fantasy
2/13/2025 12:47pm

If you do a proper restoration you’ll never get your money out of it. Only half asses restorations can be profitable.

In all honesty- what are we talking..a few hundred bucks here? Does it really matter what you sell it for ? 


Me personally- I’d restore it and keep it hanging in the garage..

4
Homey55
Posts
1305
Joined
2/18/2010
Location
collinsville, OK, USA
2/13/2025 1:42pm

I'm not hanging it in the garage, it's not that important to me where it holds sentimental value. 

It sounds like what you are saying is spend enough to clean it up and function properly to get the most out of it. It needs bearings/seals, some parts here and there, the engine cover around the kick starter is bent, so I need to look for a used one of those, forks are blown, shocks are not rebuildable, needs some plastic and a seat cover... 

2/13/2025 2:52pm

When I've sold bikes from my past, I said the same thing. I said, "Yeah I'll sell this, it's not sentimental to me at all and I won't miss it."

Years later, I now wish I had kept them. The money changed nothing about my life, but that bike did! 

4
Homey55
Posts
1305
Joined
2/18/2010
Location
collinsville, OK, USA
4/8/2025 12:05pm

Alright...I bought a few parts to throw it back together and see where it's at. I'll post pictures as I go. It's not the most exciting bike build, but it's a cool bike none the less. At least I'll have something to cruise the neighborhood with.

The Shop

R66
Posts
1486
Joined
4/16/2021
Location
Atlanta, GA, USA
4/8/2025 12:39pm
IMG 1472 3

Here is a pic of my 1981 XR100

This was the first year for the xr100

5
Homey55
Posts
1305
Joined
2/18/2010
Location
collinsville, OK, USA
4/9/2025 6:12am

Thanks for the motivation. What did you do for the rear shocks? Mine are blown and slightly bent, which I think is common for all of these. I was looking on Ebay for some replacements, but wondering if there is a better option. I'm not looking to restore it, just rebuild and enjoy.

R66
Posts
1486
Joined
4/16/2021
Location
Atlanta, GA, USA
4/9/2025 7:04am
IMG 8866.jpeg?VersionId=ChVKRZJsw5WvPUfIXkRvoS2CdO4j

I traded some stuff to a buddy for these, but I think they are the same shocks you see all over ebay. 

1
Falcon
Posts
12602
Joined
11/16/2011
Location
Menifee, CA, USA
4/9/2025 8:22am

I'm with Brad460 on this one. You won't get too much for that bike as a basic runner, and you'd have to drop BEAUCOUP dollars into it to restore, most likely. I doubt you'd recoup your money with a restore. 

A bike like that is worth way more as a kick around, at least to a guy like me. It's a mail getter or a "what's going on in the neighborhood?" bike. 

2
Homey55
Posts
1305
Joined
2/18/2010
Location
collinsville, OK, USA
4/9/2025 8:33am
R66 wrote:
I traded some stuff to a buddy for these, but I think they are the same shocks you see all over ebay. 
IMG 8866.jpeg?VersionId=ChVKRZJsw5WvPUfIXkRvoS2CdO4j

I traded some stuff to a buddy for these, but I think they are the same shocks you see all over ebay. 

Is it possible for you to get a part number or mfg off of one of those? That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Homey55
Posts
1305
Joined
2/18/2010
Location
collinsville, OK, USA
4/9/2025 8:34am
Falcon wrote:
I'm with Brad460 on this one. You won't get too much for that bike as a basic runner, and you'd have to drop BEAUCOUP dollars into...

I'm with Brad460 on this one. You won't get too much for that bike as a basic runner, and you'd have to drop BEAUCOUP dollars into it to restore, most likely. I doubt you'd recoup your money with a restore. 

A bike like that is worth way more as a kick around, at least to a guy like me. It's a mail getter or a "what's going on in the neighborhood?" bike. 

Yeah, not doing a full resto, but I do want it to look good.

Homey55
Posts
1305
Joined
2/18/2010
Location
collinsville, OK, USA
4/9/2025 8:58am

Here's my starting point. It's not bad, just need to baseline it.

How It Started.jpg?VersionId=sCKFjXiuVvYWaXFO8Ep3kJNew Parts 0.jpg?VersionId=5ZSq5PNlkEyEHWmcoN m2Q
R66
Posts
1486
Joined
4/16/2021
Location
Atlanta, GA, USA
4/9/2025 10:13am
IMG 2529 1

Here’s a pic of an’84 I did a while back. The ‘78 style side panels fit perfectly. These are “Honda  Orange” Maeier side panels. I’ll look for a number on the shocks. 

1
Homey55
Posts
1305
Joined
2/18/2010
Location
collinsville, OK, USA
4/9/2025 10:16am

Thank you! Much Appreciated!

R66
Posts
1486
Joined
4/16/2021
Location
Atlanta, GA, USA
4/9/2025 10:26am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2025 10:29am
IMG 1417

Something like this on ebay. Measure the length of what you have now The shocks with the resevoirs will fit if you mount them upside down. You can get a cool pipe from xrminiracer.com

1
Homey55
Posts
1305
Joined
2/18/2010
Location
collinsville, OK, USA
4/9/2025 12:00pm

You just ruined my life with the xrminiracer website...

R66
Posts
1486
Joined
4/16/2021
Location
Atlanta, GA, USA
4/9/2025 12:11pm
Homey55 wrote:

You just ruined my life with the xrminiracer website...

I know. Ruined me too!IMG 0479 1

1
Homey55
Posts
1305
Joined
2/18/2010
Location
collinsville, OK, USA
4/15/2025 6:48am

I'm a little further along. I got a Clymer Manual in the mail yesterday, so that should help answer my questions. Everything looks pretty good. I took the stem off and all the bearings fell all over the floor, but I already planned to replace the stem bearings, so I have tapered bearings on-hand for that. The right side engine case was damaged where the kick starter goes, so I found a used case on Ebay. I have new fork seals, but wondering if I should buy the heavy springs from BBR, what do you guys think? I didn't order shocks yet. Also have new chain and sprockets, pretty sure it was all original. Does anyone have an opinion on the 120cc big bore kit? Seems like it would replace a lot of worn parts. Other than that, I need to give it a good clean and start putting it back together.

FrameTeardownTeardown 2.jpg?VersionId=rJo2O1eXDt14
Homey55
Posts
1305
Joined
2/18/2010
Location
collinsville, OK, USA
5/29/2025 12:37pm

What gearing are y'all running for the XR100?

 

R66
Posts
1486
Joined
4/16/2021
Location
Atlanta, GA, USA
5/29/2025 1:25pm
Homey55 wrote:

What gearing are y'all running for the XR100?

 

Whatever stock is. 

Homey55
Posts
1305
Joined
2/18/2010
Location
collinsville, OK, USA
7/3/2025 7:07am

I've finally started the rebuild. The forks got new seals and fresh oil, the chassis got cleaned up, new head tube bearings and wheel bearings, new rear sprocket (had to find the right one on Ebay), and spent some time trying to clean out the gas tank. I had fuel in there for probably 15 years, so I dumped that and have been doing the vinegar trick for the last 2 days to clean it out. It seems to work so far. No more rust, but there is "gunk" at the bottom of the tank that I should be able to get with a pressure washer today.

Rebuild 1 0Rebuild 2Rebuild 3
2
R66
Posts
1486
Joined
4/16/2021
Location
Atlanta, GA, USA
7/3/2025 7:59am

Careful with the pressure washer. You may blow a hole through the bottom of the tank.  Just use a garden hose. 

2
coopernicus
Posts
302
Joined
12/15/2019
Location
Broomfield, CO, USA
7/3/2025 8:45am
R66 wrote:

Careful with the pressure washer. You may blow a hole through the bottom of the tank.  Just use a garden hose. 

And follow it up with a Caswell epoxy tank seal...Got a 1977 Kawasaki tank repainted and it started leaking gas through a pinhole that was not detected.  Caswell sealant fixed it up perfectly! 

1
Homey55
Posts
1305
Joined
2/18/2010
Location
collinsville, OK, USA
7/7/2025 8:19am

Looks like I'm missing the rear chain guide. I have the big chain cover, but looking for the lower, rear guide. Does anyone have a picture of what it should look like, and maybe a lead on one?

R66
Posts
1486
Joined
4/16/2021
Location
Atlanta, GA, USA
7/8/2025 4:44am
IMG 1228 2
Homey55
Posts
1305
Joined
2/18/2010
Location
collinsville, OK, USA
7/8/2025 5:36am

So there's no roller above the foot peg, and there's no plastic slider on the rear lower chain guide?

R66
Posts
1486
Joined
4/16/2021
Location
Atlanta, GA, USA
7/8/2025 6:13am
Homey55 wrote:

So there's no roller above the foot peg, and there's no plastic slider on the rear lower chain guide?

Correct

R66
Posts
1486
Joined
4/16/2021
Location
Atlanta, GA, USA
7/8/2025 6:16am
IMG 9734 0
Homey55
Posts
1305
Joined
2/18/2010
Location
collinsville, OK, USA
7/9/2025 6:49am
Homey55 wrote:

So there's no roller above the foot peg, and there's no plastic slider on the rear lower chain guide?

R66 wrote:

Correct

Thanks! Do you have any spare parts laying around that you want to sell? I doubt you have chain guides, but I may be interested in other parts if they're available.

Homey55
Posts
1305
Joined
2/18/2010
Location
collinsville, OK, USA
7/25/2025 8:13am

I'm close now. It's all back together, gassed up, fresh oil, fresh plug. I kicked it once, half assed, and it almost started. Went back, re-checked everything, and tried to start it again, and now it's not starting. It looks like a weak spark to me, so I'm going to put a new coil in it and see if that works. It's the original coil from 1983. If it doesn't start after that, then maybe it's the stator, but I'm not sure. My electrical skills suck, it's one of those things that I just don't like to do.

R66
Posts
1486
Joined
4/16/2021
Location
Atlanta, GA, USA
7/25/2025 8:58am

Try roll starting it. 

Post a reply to: 1983 XR100

The Latest