YZ144 Big Bore Kit

Tuzzo225
I am looking into putting a 144 kit in my 2008 YZ125. The bike has an FMF pipe and V-force reeds with stock jetting. Other than creating clearance for the larger cylinder, is there anything else that is NEEDED to make this 144 kit perform at its best?
|
FWYT
7/16/2020 6:46pm
I'm not claiming to be a 144 expert but, assuming we are talking about the Athena kit, I spent some time
recently rebuilding my nephew's 144. I have found that you will need to spend some time dialing in the
jetting. It's funny- searching around I see people say you need to go leaner with a big bore but that is not
what we are finding. We are up several on the main.>>>>https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/Blue-pipe,1379204

And you absolutely MUST measure your squish and get it right on. The kit will come with a couple
different thicknesses of base gaskets but there are others available, too. Bust out the solder and calipers
and spend some time measuring. The 125 base gasket will work so
you can use OEM, Cometic, etc. for different thicknesses. On that note, keep an eye on those Athena gaskets. We've had a couple of them fail. I think their gasket quality is a little suspect.
Tuzzo225
7/17/2020 7:32am
FWYT wrote:
I'm not claiming to be a 144 expert but, assuming we are talking about the Athena kit, I spent some time recently rebuilding my nephew's 144...
I'm not claiming to be a 144 expert but, assuming we are talking about the Athena kit, I spent some time
recently rebuilding my nephew's 144. I have found that you will need to spend some time dialing in the
jetting. It's funny- searching around I see people say you need to go leaner with a big bore but that is not
what we are finding. We are up several on the main.>>>>https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/Blue-pipe,1379204

And you absolutely MUST measure your squish and get it right on. The kit will come with a couple
different thicknesses of base gaskets but there are others available, too. Bust out the solder and calipers
and spend some time measuring. The 125 base gasket will work so
you can use OEM, Cometic, etc. for different thicknesses. On that note, keep an eye on those Athena gaskets. We've had a couple of them fail. I think their gasket quality is a little suspect.
Thank you very much for the thread and input. Always good to learn from others before you go through the same problems!
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
7/17/2020 9:08am
Just my opinion but I liked a yz better as 125 than an Athena 144 yz. It will add some grunt though so if that's what you're after then go for it.
YZed250
7/17/2020 10:38am
Shameful plug: I have a used Athena kit for sale. I bought a complete motor that had the kit on it, and a flooded and rusted bottom-end due to a blown head gasket.
I rebuild the motor with a stock cylinder bored to 134 and have since sold the bike.
Hence, the Athena kit is for sale. Message me if interested.

The Shop

Schlava
7/17/2020 6:55pm
Reach out to Eric gorr. Does a ton of threes and will answer all your questions

Post a reply to: YZ144 Big Bore Kit

The Latest