What is Porosity?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/24/2017 12:17 PM

We made cool little video about cylinder casting porosity. What is it? Does it suck?

Enjoy!

|

7/24/2017 4:39 PM

Great video! Does it happen with casting only or forged as well?

|

RTFM & AYFV

7/25/2017 3:54 PM

Learn something new every day......thanks for posting that !

|

7/26/2017 7:09 AM

Knoby wrote:

Thanks!

If the cylinder is machined from a solid chunk of billet, then it would have no porosity. Porosity is a casting flaw and unique to castings.

|

7/31/2017 7:29 AM

Awesome video - thank you for putting out this kind of free educational content. Look forward to using your services in the future!

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

7/31/2017 6:14 PM

You can have porosity in welds too.

|

8/1/2017 4:55 PM

Umm ok. I was just wondering if forging, a more refined method to treat cast parts, is Superior in porosity to the cast part. Smaller / multiple holes vs. larger / fewer holes?

|

RTFM & AYFV

8/2/2017 6:37 AM

Knoby wrote:

Millennium Technologies wrote:

Thanks!

If the cylinder is machined from a solid chunk of billet, then it would have no porosity. Porosity is a casting flaw and unique to castings.

A forged item is not the same as a billet item. Forged parts are stronger than parts machined from billet.

|

8/2/2017 6:50 AM

Knoby wrote:

Umm ok. I was just wondering if forging, a more refined method to treat cast parts, is Superior in porosity to the cast part. Smaller / multiple holes vs. larger / fewer holes?

Correct! I guess my statement was somewhat confusing. Nobody makes a cylinder out of a forging, but they do make cylinders from billet, thus that reference.

I guess I should provide a better explanation.

Porosity is unique to castings. Forgings do not have issues with porosity. Billets do not have issues with porosity.

Yes, there are LOTS of different casting methods and quality can vary DRAMATICALLY. All Japanese and European OEM Motorcycle manufactures produce very good castings these days, but porosity still occurs.

|

8/2/2017 4:24 PM

Wow I honestly didn't know. I don't ride hard enough to trash cylinders I guess......As the VBT turns. Good to learn something new great info thanks

|

RTFM & AYFV

8/8/2017 9:52 AM

Knoby wrote:

Wow I honestly didn't know. I don't ride hard enough to trash cylinders I guess......As the VBT turns. Good to learn something new great info thanks

You don't have to ride hard to trash a cylinder. If you ever need us, please let me know!

Thanks!

|