Stupid Question But.......

Related:
Create New Tag

12/12/2020 4:26 PM

Which way do I mount my Starcross 5 rear sand tire? This is my first time mounting a sand tire. There is an arrow that says “rear” and points to the flat edge of the scoop. I always thought the flat side would be the scoop but it looks like the ramped side is the front of the tire. Is this correct?

|

12/12/2020 4:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2020 4:29 PM

Think of it like swimming in the sand. What direction would give you the best scooping action? THAT is the direction you want to mount it.

(coming from a guy who recently mounted a tire backwards … oy!)

|

12/12/2020 4:30 PM

Rider 5280 wrote:

Think of it like swimming in the sand. What direction would give you the best scooping action? THAT is the direction you want ...more

That’s what I was thinking but it looks backwards. Using the sharp flat edge to dig would be the best but that would warrant the tread pattern being backwards.

|

12/12/2020 4:53 PM

yz763 wrote:

Which way do I mount my Starcross 5 rear sand tire? This is my first time mounting a sand tire. There is an arrow that says “ ...more

I run Dunlop tires, which uses a V block leading edge on the MX12. On your Starcross 5, you should mount the leading ramped up blocks forward.

|

David
774 CC Powersports Kawasaki
Factory Backing Factory Seat
Acerbis Dunlop
Sunstar Braking
MX Engine Stands
Matrix Concepts

12/12/2020 4:57 PM

davidgrip wrote:

I run Dunlop tires, which uses a V block leading edge on the MX12. On your Starcross 5, you should mount the leading ramped up ...more

That’s what I was thinking but it seems counter productive. I guess that’s why I don’t design tires. Haha!! Thank you!

|

12/13/2020 6:43 AM

yz763 wrote:

Which way do I mount my Starcross 5 rear sand tire? This is my first time mounting a sand tire. There is an arrow that says “ ...more

davidgrip wrote:

I run Dunlop tires, which uses a V block leading edge on the MX12. On your Starcross 5, you should mount the leading ramped up ...more

yz763 wrote:

That’s what I was thinking but it seems counter productive. I guess that’s why I don’t design tires. Haha!! Thank you!

Found a picture mounted for you.
Photo

|

David
Acerbis Dunlop
Sunstar Braking
MX Engine Stands
Matrix Concepts

12/13/2020 7:21 AM

davidgrip wrote:

Photo

The is the way I thought but the arrow on the sidewall says this is backwards.

|

12/13/2020 7:44 AM

davidgrip wrote:

yz763 wrote:

davidgrip wrote:

Photo

Wow!! Never seen that kind of tire before.... That definitely is a sand tire.... That thing is like running shovels on your bike....
Thanks, awesome photo!!

|

12/13/2020 9:02 AM

So the consensus is, this label means it’s a rear tire and the arrow points to the direction of rotation. That’s stupid.

Photo

|

12/13/2020 9:52 AM

yz763 wrote:

davidgrip wrote:

Photo

moore433 wrote:

Wow!! Never seen that kind of tire before.... That definitely is a sand tire.... That thing is like running shovels on your ...more

Just for mounting/directional questions. Dunlop MX12, not on my bike.
Photo

|

David
Acerbis Dunlop
Sunstar Braking
MX Engine Stands
Matrix Concepts

12/13/2020 11:41 AM

This is how I mounted it. Photo

|

12/16/2020 9:36 AM

That looks correct to me.

|

Motorcycles have been keeping me smiling for 19 years and counting!

The Chap - My YouTube channel. Trying to share the stoke!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqTZ4lNA_xYv6N2DS4L1Now

12/16/2020 12:06 PM

yz763 wrote:

So the consensus is, this label means it’s a rear tire and the arrow points to the direction of rotation. That’s stupid.

Photo

Thats exactly what it means.

|