Spoke Replacement - 16/17 KTM

motoXracer971
Posts
325
Joined
8/28/2015
Location
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Hoping to get pointed in the right direction here... I'm about to rebuild my stock wheels (first time doing this on my own) and want to use better quality spokes. I've never had to mess with spokes as much as I've had to on the rear wheel of this bike. They loosen up near the rim lock and valve after 30 minutes of riding. Wheels are true, not flat-landing 100 footers, etc.

Using the stock wheel (Excel Takasago) and hub. Durability > Weight

Always appreciate the knowledge of (most of) y'all!
|
BobPA
Posts
8339
Joined
10/31/2013
Location
USA
4/22/2017 7:19am
Excel, Bulldog, stainless Moose are all good options.

Watch a YouTube video on how to lace wheels. Make sure when you take them apart to label which spokes go where (inner/outer). I believe all KTM spokes are the same length and bend though.

Always start on the outer holes of the hub when lacing, does not matter which side of the hub. Lace the purses first, then inners. Flip hub and repeat, tighten everything slow and even. You do not need a torque wrench, I have never used one and have built over 100 sets of wheels.
motoXracer971
Posts
325
Joined
8/28/2015
Location
Jacksonville, FL, USA
4/22/2017 8:32am
BobPA wrote:
Excel, Bulldog, stainless Moose are all good options. Watch a YouTube video on how to lace wheels. Make sure when you take them apart to label...
Excel, Bulldog, stainless Moose are all good options.

Watch a YouTube video on how to lace wheels. Make sure when you take them apart to label which spokes go where (inner/outer). I believe all KTM spokes are the same length and bend though.

Always start on the outer holes of the hub when lacing, does not matter which side of the hub. Lace the purses first, then inners. Flip hub and repeat, tighten everything slow and even. You do not need a torque wrench, I have never used one and have built over 100 sets of wheels.
Thanks for the input. That's good to know about the KTMs spokes being all the same length/bend. I found the EXCEL Hi Carbons on FasterUSA's site for a good price so I'm gonna try those....after a few YouTube videos of course

4/22/2017 1:13pm
mine loosen up in the same way as yours. Dont know why it happens? Is it becaus of the spoke themselves?

Is it a bad idéa to take a little bit of loctite on them and then tourqe them?
motoXracer971
Posts
325
Joined
8/28/2015
Location
Jacksonville, FL, USA
4/22/2017 1:29pm
mx4all wrote:
mine loosen up in the same way as yours. Dont know why it happens? Is it becaus of the spoke themselves? Is it a bad idéa...
mine loosen up in the same way as yours. Dont know why it happens? Is it becaus of the spoke themselves?

Is it a bad idéa to take a little bit of loctite on them and then tourqe them?
I've heard of putting Loctite on them before but these spokes just suck. They feel like cheap coat hangers, and I keep them clean, dry, and lubed so it's not a maintenance issue. The front is fine, no issues. It's nuts that some people I ride with go months before having to tighten any and I can't go an hour.

The Shop

FWYT
Posts
3572
Joined
5/25/2014
Location
San Diego, CA, USA
4/23/2017 12:24am
Hey, with the KTMs, if you go with Excel spokes, make SURE you are getting the right length spokes. I guess that's true for any company but I just went through this with my KTM and getting Excel spokes. The ones listed in their catalog did NOT fit my bike and after a few emails with them, ended up having to return the Excel spokes and get OEMs because Excel did not have the right length.

Take out a couple of your spokes and measure them carefully and go over that with whoever you get your spokes from.

As far as lacing, yeah, watch the tutorials and take your time. It's actually quite fun and very rewarding!
ktm-5
Posts
554
Joined
2/17/2017
Location
Ravenna, MI, USA
4/24/2017 5:40pm
The stock rims are junk. I always switch out the rims for DID rims and it helps

Post a reply to: Spoke Replacement - 16/17 KTM

The Latest