Latest Gen RMZ250 Suspension Help

Edited Date/Time 1/23/2021 8:45pm
Anyone on here have much time into the latest generation RMZ250 KYB suspension? I am no suspension wizard and have tried stock settings, along with what RacerX recommends, and a few clicks in between. Seems like I am yet to find a setting that is right. Wondered if anyone has any recommendations for a good starting point to try that some are happy with. I was going to swap out springs but my buddies have just planned a trip to go ride and I don't think I will have time to get things ordered, delivered, and changed in time.
|
seth505
Fantasy
1291st
1/18/2021 12:28pm
I just picked up a ‘21. I’m starting with softer springs (I weigh 148) and Enzo recommended 340ml oil since it comes with too much stock (360 ml).
1/18/2021 12:49pm
Let me know how things progress for you. Snow and ice where I am so cannot test but would be interested in hearing what you come across. I used to live by seat bouncing my kx250f over everything. Now with this I just cannot find a setting that wont kick me. I know my fork is too stiff so that beats me up. Rear feels fine until I seat bounce stuff. Now I just have the low speed rebound tweaked to help but its just not right.
seth505
Fantasy
1291st
1/18/2021 1:18pm
Are you still running stock springs? I tend to seat bounce more than I probably should so I’ll let you know how initial testing goes.
250 cross
1/18/2021 5:46pm Edited Date/Time 3/29/2023 3:22pm

Bought a 20 at the end of the season so I don't really have any time on it. As delivered the forks felt dead from both no break-in and too stiff springs. FC only dropped the fork springs down to .48s but also lightened the ICS springs and valving. Totally different feel now, very balanced with the shock. At 175 without gear the shock spring is right in the middle of free sag spec with race sag set.

Above were my initial thoughts on a smooth track. Once the track got rough suspension still sucked. I now have .46 springs, lowered the oil 20 cc and have dropped the back shock spring down two sizes, static sag is right in there now.. Much better but the fork compression is out all the way and so is the high speed compresion on the shock. Have been reducing the low speed compression to get more range out of the high speed adjuster, added a Ride link to offset that bandaid adjustment. Now I'm shopping for .44 fork springs. Just to be clear I'm a 67 year old former vet expert on a natural terrian track with no jumps.

The Shop

biondo
1/18/2021 9:58pm
Hi I have a 2020 RMZ250 I weigh 145...I went With race tech 4.2 Springs didn’t change shock... Really improved the ride and handling! I went with advice from Michael Keating who is a top vet racer From Texas...
Just started riding at age 66 won my first Mx
Race last year at Cahuilla Mx track ..
I tried setting changes but didn’t help till I went with softer springs per Race Tech spring weight Chart on their website...
Good Luck and Stay Safe !
1/19/2021 5:49am
seth505 wrote:
Are you still running stock springs? I tend to seat bounce more than I probably should so I’ll let you know how initial testing goes.
Yes I am still running stock springs at the moment. Have gold valves waiting to go in when I order springs...just haven’t gotten to it yet.
seth505
Fantasy
1291st
1/19/2021 1:53pm
Just got back from Enzo, ended up with .46 fork springs and 4.8 rear spring. Time to install.
seth505
Fantasy
1291st
1/20/2021 1:36pm
Just my luck, tracks had crazy weather today and were shut down (rain and insane winds). Got the suspension all set up yesterday for the bike to sit and not test today Sad

biondo
1/20/2021 3:45pm
seth505 wrote:
Just my luck, tracks had crazy weather today and were shut down (rain and insane winds). Got the suspension all set up yesterday for the bike...
Just my luck, tracks had crazy weather today and were shut down (rain and insane winds). Got the suspension all set up yesterday for the bike to sit and not test today Sad

Nice Job! I didn’t do valves maybe that will be a smoother more plush setup ....
I was also planning on going to Cahuilla today to meet up with Josh Hayes and friends...weather gods weren’t cooperating!
Is that where you were going?
If so maybe meet up sometime...
seth505
Fantasy
1291st
1/20/2021 8:18pm
seth505 wrote:
Just my luck, tracks had crazy weather today and were shut down (rain and insane winds). Got the suspension all set up yesterday for the bike...

biondo wrote:
Nice Job! I didn’t do valves maybe that will be a smoother more plush setup .... I was also planning on going to Cahuilla today to...
Nice Job! I didn’t do valves maybe that will be a smoother more plush setup ....
I was also planning on going to Cahuilla today to meet up with Josh Hayes and friends...weather gods weren’t cooperating!
Yup, was gonna hit Cahuilla. They are gonna open on Friday, will probably be there!
1/21/2021 8:38am
seth505 wrote:
Yup, was gonna hit Cahuilla. They are gonna open on Friday, will probably be there!
Interested to hear how things works. Give some good seat bounces on different faces of jumps for me would ya? I’d be interested in hearing how it reacts and what clicker settings you come up with!
dbx33
1/21/2021 9:03am
ive got a 20 rmz250. like the forks. stock valving with 2.5wt in them. I have new .44kg fork springs for 60$ shipped if anyone here needs a pair for a good deal for this bike.
1/21/2021 6:49pm
dbx33 wrote:
ive got a 20 rmz250. like the forks. stock valving with 2.5wt in them. I have new .44kg fork springs for 60$ shipped if anyone here...
ive got a 20 rmz250. like the forks. stock valving with 2.5wt in them. I have new .44kg fork springs for 60$ shipped if anyone here needs a pair for a good deal for this bike.
Are you currently running the stock fork springs then?
Alex.434
1/21/2021 11:55pm
biondo wrote:
Nice Job! I didn’t do valves maybe that will be a smoother more plush setup .... I was also planning on going to Cahuilla today to...
Ha really? Hayes and I and the rest of 'the friends' have been doing Wed Cahuilla rides last few weeks.... But yeah got canceled this week due to weather but Seth and I are rallying up tomorrow (Friday) at CCMX and I can't wait to see him on the latest banana bike 🍌

Maybe see/meet ya next Wed. ✊🏻
seth505
Fantasy
1291st
1/23/2021 7:42am
Interested to hear how things works. Give some good seat bounces on different faces of jumps for me would ya? I’d be interested in hearing how...
Interested to hear how things works. Give some good seat bounces on different faces of jumps for me would ya? I’d be interested in hearing how it reacts and what clicker settings you come up with!
Hey dude, I finally rode the bike yesterday. I'll post a bunch in the thread below but the bike felt pretty damn good, still on the stiff side. I wasn't able to get to the stock 110mm sag without the spring getting loose so I started with 104mm. Other than that the clickers were all stock and it was still on the stiff side, I ended up 2 more out on compression and 1 more out on rebound. Bike was predictable and I was able to seat bounce with no ill effects!

I started this thread just to put thoughts and some testing down for people to see https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/2021-RMZ-250-frugal-build…
1/23/2021 7:51am
seth505 wrote:
Hey dude, I finally rode the bike yesterday. I'll post a bunch in the thread below but the bike felt pretty damn good, still on the...
Hey dude, I finally rode the bike yesterday. I'll post a bunch in the thread below but the bike felt pretty damn good, still on the stiff side. I wasn't able to get to the stock 110mm sag without the spring getting loose so I started with 104mm. Other than that the clickers were all stock and it was still on the stiff side, I ended up 2 more out on compression and 1 more out on rebound. Bike was predictable and I was able to seat bounce with no ill effects!

I started this thread just to put thoughts and some testing down for people to see https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/2021-RMZ-250-frugal-build…
Good stuff! Thanks for the update. Good to see what settings others are having luck with to try out.
biondo
1/23/2021 12:42pm
Interested to hear how things works. Give some good seat bounces on different faces of jumps for me would ya? I’d be interested in hearing how...
seth505 wrote:
Hey dude, I finally rode the bike yesterday. I'll post a bunch in the thread below but the bike felt pretty damn good, still on the...

Just a question do you think softer springs would be better?
seth505
Fantasy
1291st
1/23/2021 1:01pm
biondo wrote:
Softer compared to what? If you're asking if softer than stock then YES for almost everyone. I have a 4.8 shock spring which is way softer than stock and the bike felt great. No rubber tire marks under the rear fender either, I got those a lot on my previous KTM that was also setup for me with correct spring rate.
biondo
1/23/2021 4:13pm
biondo wrote:
seth505 wrote:
Softer compared to what? If you're asking if softer than stock then YES for almost everyone. I have a 4.8 shock spring which is way softer...
Softer compared to what? If you're asking if softer than stock then YES for almost everyone. I have a 4.8 shock spring which is way softer than stock and the bike felt great. No rubber tire marks under the rear fender either, I got those a lot on my previous KTM that was also setup for me with correct spring rate.
Thanks i went with 4.2 per race tech chart for my weight and age/ability almost thinking I should go back up a bit...since I’m going almost to bottom of travel ...but I do like the smoother ride...
biondo
1/23/2021 6:01pm
dbx33 wrote:
ive got a 20 rmz250. like the forks. stock valving with 2.5wt in them. I have new .44kg fork springs for 60$ shipped if anyone here...
Hi do you still have springs?
seth505
Fantasy
1291st
1/23/2021 6:17pm
biondo wrote:
seth505 wrote:
Softer compared to what? If you're asking if softer than stock then YES for almost everyone. I have a 4.8 shock spring which is way softer...
biondo wrote:
Thanks i went with 4.2 per race tech chart for my weight and age/ability almost thinking I should go back up a bit...since I’m going almost...
Thanks i went with 4.2 per race tech chart for my weight and age/ability almost thinking I should go back up a bit...since I’m going almost to bottom of travel ...but I do like the smoother ride...
Ideally, you want to use all the travel. As long as you're not bottoming harshly, and it's reacting as it should I'd leave it!
biondo
1/23/2021 7:30pm
seth505 wrote:
biondo wrote:
Thanks i went with 4.2 per race tech chart for my weight and age/ability almost thinking I should go back up a bit...since I’m going almost...
seth505 wrote:
Ideally, you want to use all the travel. As long as you're not bottoming harshly, and it's reacting as it should I'd leave it!
Thanks ok I’ll leave as is ...until I start clearing triples! Just kidding! My wife already wants more life insurance on me!🤠
biondo
1/23/2021 8:45pm
biondo wrote:
Alex.434 wrote:
Ha really? Hayes and I and the rest of 'the friends' have been doing Wed Cahuilla rides last few weeks.... But yeah got canceled this week...
Ha really? Hayes and I and the rest of 'the friends' have been doing Wed Cahuilla rides last few weeks.... But yeah got canceled this week due to weather but Seth and I are rallying up tomorrow (Friday) at CCMX and I can't wait to see him on the latest banana bike 🍌

Maybe see/meet ya next Wed. ✊🏻
Hey thanks! hope to be there weather permitting 😎

Post a reply to: Latest Gen RMZ250 Suspension Help

The Latest