HELP!!!!!!Ktm sticking throttle

Related:
Create New Tag

3/10/2019 11:17 AM

Hi all, I have already made a post on this topic but no one seems to know the fix. I have a 2011 sx 125 and the throttle sticks every now and then. I have rerouted the cable (brand new cable oem) but while riding today it stuck Luckily I have not yet gotten injured but it’s bound to happen soon. has anybody fixed this? Last time it stuck I pulled the clutch and had a look while it was stuck. The cable didn’t look to have been pulled out of the carb. I have an upcoming race and I need to get it fixed before then. Doubt it’s related but my carbs also leaking ... also any easy fix for leaking carb before buying a carb kit ? Thanks a lot for any help.

|

3/10/2019 12:39 PM

Check your grip on the throttle side. It may be dragging on the end of the bar or the throttle tub may be rubbing on the bar.
Make sure the cable is routed to OEM spec's.
Check your float height and float needle as they may be causing the leak.

Paw Paw

|

3/11/2019 9:52 PM

yz8103 wrote:

Hi all, I have already made a post on this topic but no one seems to know the fix. I have a 2011 sx 125 and the throttle sticks every now and then. I have rerouted the cable (brand new cable oem) but while riding today it stuck Luckily I have not yet gotten injured but it’s bound to happen soon. has anybody fixed this? Last time it stuck I pulled the clutch and had a look while it was stuck. The cable didn’t look to have been pulled out of the carb. I have an upcoming race and I need to get it fixed before then. Doubt it’s related but my carbs also leaking ... also any easy fix for leaking carb before buying a carb kit ? Thanks a lot for any help.

One of my pals had this problem on a 2010 KTM 150. She did some research and found that people were having luck with a Honda throttle cable and a more conventional routing (like a jap bike). I don't know anything about which bike it was from.

It happened often enough that she sold the bike and bought a YZ125.

Another friend had an almost new 250SX stick wide open and launch him into low earth orbit. Broke his pelvis and a bunch of bad stuff.

|

3/12/2019 9:39 AM

yz8103 wrote:

cwtoyota wrote:

One of my pals had this problem on a 2010 KTM 150. She did some research and found that people were having luck with a Honda throttle cable and a more conventional routing (like a jap bike). I don't know anything about which bike it was from.

Another friend had an almost new 250SX stick wide open and launch him into low earth orbit. Broke his pelvis and a bunch of bad stuff.

As far as I am concerned it has nothing to do with the cable Could never get it sorted out Out of a matter of interest what year was your friends 250 sx when it happened ?

|

3/12/2019 11:00 AM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

Check your grip on the throttle side. It may be dragging on the end of the bar or the throttle tub may be rubbing on the bar.
Make sure the cable is routed to OEM spec's.
Check your float height and float needle as they may be causing the leak.

Paw Paw

Doesn’t seem to be the throttle tube as it goes back but the throttle stays wide open... checked it out though thanks

|

3/12/2019 11:00 AM

yz8103 wrote:

cwtoyota wrote:

Maicoman07 wrote:

As far as I am concerned it has nothing to do with the cable Could never get it sorted out Out of a matter of interest what year was your friends 250 sx when it happened ?

What do you think I should try?

|

3/12/2019 11:34 AM

Try replacing the plastic wheel and bushing in the throttle housing that the cable rides in. There was a recall on my 13 250sx. It stuck wide open on me twice even after the dealer “fixed it” and I ended up replacing the wheel and bushing with the part off of my KX250. Never stuck again.

|

3/12/2019 12:40 PM

paddyB745 wrote:

Try replacing the plastic wheel and bushing in the throttle housing that the cable rides in. There was a recall on my 13 250sx. It stuck wide open on me twice even after the dealer “fixed it” and I ended up replacing the wheel and bushing with the part off of my KX250. Never stuck again.

Thank you🙏I’ll try this tonight!

|

3/12/2019 2:37 PM

Have you checked the spring? When they get a lot of hours they sometimes sack out.
Also look at the sides of the spring

|

3/12/2019 2:45 PM

Layton wrote:

Have you checked the spring? When they get a lot of hours they sometimes sack out.
Also look at the sides of the spring

What am I looking for... just closed up my carb after giving it a proper clean

|

3/12/2019 3:55 PM

Look for wear on the sides of the spring. I’ve seen them with 25-30% worn off

|

3/15/2019 3:54 PM

paddyB745 wrote:

Any ideas where to find a new wheel, I’ve been looking online and can’t find one! Tried my yz250 wheel but it doesn’t fit...

|

3/15/2019 4:19 PM

I took the set up out of my 06 kx250. Looks like they’re available through Kawi.

|

3/17/2019 12:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/22/2019 2:15 PM

paddyB745 wrote:

I took the set up out of my 06 kx250. Looks like they’re available through Kawi.

|

3/17/2019 12:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2019 12:56 PM

Air leak??????
Bad slide?
Bad needle jet???

Paw Paw

|

3/17/2019 12:55 PM

I heard it was the slide sticking

|

3/17/2019 1:09 PM

coastlinecascot wrote:

Easiest fix?

|

3/17/2019 1:10 PM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

Air leak??????
Bad slide?
Bad needle jet???

Paw Paw

How would I check?

|

3/22/2019 2:11 PM

Hi all, just went and bought a brand new cable and installed it( screw into carb and throttle housing) and adjusted slack and it’s STILL holding wide open when I rev it high. If I hold the throttle open and let go it holds every few times😔I’ve tried everything and now the only other place is the carb.... which I cleaned properly twice and the spring and slide seem to look perfect... in racing Sunday so if ANYONE has ANY ideas please please tell me....

|

3/22/2019 2:26 PM

Are you sure the plastic piece that goes onto the spring in the carb is in there correct? There is a little tab thing that needs to fit properly.

|

3/22/2019 2:34 PM

seth505 wrote:

Are you sure the plastic piece that goes onto the spring in the carb is in there correct? There is a little tab thing that needs to fit properly.

Yeah, just put it on tonight the little tab is in the slot on the slide ... thanks

|

3/22/2019 3:17 PM

yz8103 wrote:

Hi all, just went and bought a brand new cable and installed it( screw into carb and throttle housing) and adjusted slack and it’s STILL holding wide open when I rev it high. If I hold the throttle open and let go it holds every few times😔I’ve tried everything and now the only other place is the carb.... which I cleaned properly twice and the spring and slide seem to look perfect... in racing Sunday so if ANYONE has ANY ideas please please tell me....

Would forget about racing on Sunday Would take bike to the race and plead with a rider that has a pre 2017 125 Ktm to give you a loan of his carb to put on your bike and start it up and see what happens I take it has the correct slide and needle in carb and is not running to lean? How long have you had the bike for and when did this problem start?

|

3/22/2019 3:34 PM

yz8103 wrote:

Maicoman07 wrote:

Would forget about racing on Sunday Would take bike to the race and plead with a rider that has a pre 2017 125 Ktm to give you a loan of his carb to put on your bike and start it up and see what happens I take it has the correct slide and needle in carb and is not running to lean? How long have you had the bike for and when did this problem start?

No it’s not running too lean, has a nice bit of smoke and seems to be running crisp and healthy. I only bought the bike a month ago and have since done one race, hare scramble which the throttle stuck 3 times in three hours...it only happened when I’m on the limiter and let off.... slide is good and needle is okay... there is a bit of play in the needle, it shakes is this normal. Also I watched a video and a guy has minor scratches on the needle ( metal needle attached to the slide) and he claims replacing the needle solved the problem along with cleaning carb breather hoses.. however I can’t find anywhere to buy the needle... thanks a lot for the help...

|

3/22/2019 4:26 PM

First time ever seen a bike with a stuck throttle was 40 year a go A ktm 400 it would have had a Bing carb on it First ktm I ever bought had the same problem and so had another rider I knew on his 250 I had the 125 Deloto carb fitted to them Last ktm same problem again Was contacted online by a fellow rider who was badly hurt on the same jump where mine stuck a Keihin carb this time Have not heard of it happening with the Mikini carbs!

|

3/24/2019 7:44 AM

coastlinecascot wrote:

yz8103 wrote:

Easiest fix?

I could be wrong it was the chrome on the slide causing them to stick.

|

3/24/2019 4:57 PM

Sons 08 Yz125 would stick at full throttle, replaced slide problem fixed.

|