Any luck with sandblasting?

Andrew_Foster
Edited Date/Time 1/29/2018 3:10pm
Just curious is anyone here has ever tried sandblasting engine covers and what the results ended up being. I’m looking to sandblast the ignition cover on my Husky to give it more of a factory style look. Anyone ever had any luck?

|
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
1/28/2018 7:48pm
What material is the ignition cover?
Acidreamer
1/29/2018 1:10am
Get it vapor blasted. Sand blasting wont give you the look you want.
RussB
Fantasy
1164th
1/29/2018 1:32am Edited Date/Time 1/29/2018 4:04am
This cover was originally the Boyesen Bronze colour.

I used glass bead media to achieve this finish. Took a while but turned out nice, sort of a satin shine.

Sand blasting will probably leave a rougher finish, depends how coarse the media is.

1/29/2018 3:00am
RussB wrote:
This cover was originally the Boyesen Bronze colour. I used glass bead media to achieve this finish. Took a while but turned out nice, sort of...

I used glass bead media to achieve this finish. Took a while but turned out nice, sort of a satin shine.

Sand blasting will probably leave a rougher finish, depends how coarse the media is.

I second this. Glass blasting is what you want, not sand blasting, although it’s the same equipment. Sandblasting will be pretty rough and could eat through the cover if it’s magnesium. Glass blasting isn’t as harsh and will give you the look you want.

The Shop

Andrew_Foster
1/29/2018 5:51am
RussB wrote:
This cover was originally the Boyesen Bronze colour. I used glass bead media to achieve this finish. Took a while but turned out nice, sort of...

I second this. Glass blasting is what you want, not sand blasting, although it’s the same equipment. Sandblasting will be pretty rough and could eat through...
I second this. Glass blasting is what you want, not sand blasting, although it’s the same equipment. Sandblasting will be pretty rough and could eat through the cover if it’s magnesium. Glass blasting isn’t as harsh and will give you the look you want.
Any tips or trick when doing this or is it the same process as sandblasting? I’ve thought about just ordering a KTM ignition cover since they came from the factory silver. Would save quite a bit of a headache but for $150 for the new covers and gaskets I thought about trying a different cheaper route first.
pete24
1/29/2018 6:29am
i did my 15 husky with glass bead media, that brown powdercoat on there is tough i burnt it off with a torch first

Andrew_Foster
1/29/2018 6:47am Edited Date/Time 1/29/2018 6:48am
pete24 wrote:
i did my 15 husky with glass bead media, that brown powdercoat on there is tough i burnt it off with a torch first [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/29/240912/s1200_100_4131.jpg[/img]
i did my 15 husky with glass bead media, that brown powdercoat on there is tough i burnt it off with a torch first

That looks mint! Is this something you could do with a tumbler or does it need to be blasted with the glass media?
pete24
1/29/2018 7:09am
i blasted it in my blast cabinet, and it woulndt touch the powdercoat so i burned it off first
pete24
1/29/2018 7:11am

heres the other side and i did the valve cover too , before i ever rode the thing mine came with yellow, it was fugly
1/29/2018 8:07am
RussB wrote:

I second this. Glass blasting is what you want, not sand blasting, although it’s the same equipment. Sandblasting will be pretty rough and could eat through...
Any tips or trick when doing this or is it the same process as sandblasting? I’ve thought about just ordering a KTM ignition cover since they...
Any tips or trick when doing this or is it the same process as sandblasting? I’ve thought about just ordering a KTM ignition cover since they came from the factory silver. Would save quite a bit of a headache but for $150 for the new covers and gaskets I thought about trying a different cheaper route first.
Same process, just a different media.
Andrew_Foster
1/29/2018 3:10pm
Any tips or trick when doing this or is it the same process as sandblasting? I’ve thought about just ordering a KTM ignition cover since they...
Same process, just a different media.
Sweet, thanks traildigger! I’ll give it a go one day when it warms up here and I’m home from school. Boone, NC has the most bipolar weather on the Earth!
Andrew_Foster
1/29/2018 3:16pm
pete24 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/29/240917/s1200_100_4132.jpg[/img] heres the other side and i did the valve cover too , before i ever rode the thing mine came with yellow, it was fugly

heres the other side and i did the valve cover too , before i ever rode the thing mine came with yellow, it was fugly
Valve cover isn’t seen very much on the 250s so I probably won’t touch it. The yellow doesn’t really bother my tastes if you can’t see much of it.

Post a reply to: Any luck with sandblasting?

The Latest