2019 kx450 suspension tuning.

michael_Bryan
Edited Date/Time 2/24/2020 8:39am
Hi all kinda new to the bike world as I haven't rode in like 10 or so years and was never a big racer or jumper. I recently went to a practice track and almost endod a few times and was wondering if my front forks are to soft or if it was operator error. I have not done a single thing to the bike other then change the oil and ride it. I'm 180lbs with out gear and the jump I kept struggling on was about 50 foot table top the 20s and 30s went ok a little nose down some times but not uncomfortable. The one time when I landed I ride the front tire out a few feet before it sat back down.
|
kb228
1/7/2020 6:08am
Make sure your sag is set correctly first and foremost.

As far as endoing, youre probably not doing the jump correctly. You want a good attack position with your head over your number plate and a smooth throttle delivery all the way up and off the takeoff ramp. If you let off youll endo. I think you just have to work on the commitment part of it. Maybe work on jumping halfway and landing correcty and work your way to the landing ramp as you build confidence and can commit fully. After breaking my leg and collarbone on a 50 foot table i can assure you it’s extremely important to commit and do it correctly before trying to send it. Especially on a 450.
michael_Bryan
1/7/2020 6:01pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2020 6:01pm
kb228 wrote:
Make sure your sag is set correctly first and foremost. As far as endoing, youre probably not doing the jump correctly. You want a good attack...
Make sure your sag is set correctly first and foremost.

As far as endoing, youre probably not doing the jump correctly. You want a good attack position with your head over your number plate and a smooth throttle delivery all the way up and off the takeoff ramp. If you let off youll endo. I think you just have to work on the commitment part of it. Maybe work on jumping halfway and landing correcty and work your way to the landing ramp as you build confidence and can commit fully. After breaking my leg and collarbone on a 50 foot table i can assure you it’s extremely important to commit and do it correctly before trying to send it. Especially on a 450.
Thank you for the reply. I'll check my sag this week. I'm working on building a smaller ramp for my house to be able to jump more and get comfortable on the jumps side of things. I was watching the fast guys at the track and noticed it looks like there butt is at the back of the seat or so I think I was standing more upright the more I think about it.
hubbardmx50
1/10/2020 9:41am
Only thing I can think of that would be the bike’s fault is maybe the rebound in your shock is much faster than it is in your forks, causing the bike to kick you. Too much or too little sag could be doing this too. I would record all of your clickers right now with a flat blade screw driver just so you know where you’re at along with setting your sag like kb mentioned. There’s a huge thread in the main forum on that bike, I’d highly recommend checking it out. I think guys are running around 105mm of sag.
michael_Bryan
1/10/2020 11:07am
Only thing I can think of that would be the bike’s fault is maybe the rebound in your shock is much faster than it is in...
Only thing I can think of that would be the bike’s fault is maybe the rebound in your shock is much faster than it is in your forks, causing the bike to kick you. Too much or too little sag could be doing this too. I would record all of your clickers right now with a flat blade screw driver just so you know where you’re at along with setting your sag like kb mentioned. There’s a huge thread in the main forum on that bike, I’d highly recommend checking it out. I think guys are running around 105mm of sag.
Thank you I'll try and do this tonight as I'll have some free time. Do you happen to have a link or how to find the thread on my bike?

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
1/10/2020 6:49pm
Make sure all the clickers are at the neutral position based on the manuals setting. Check sag also.

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard stories like yours. A guy was parked next to me and asking about some suspension problems he was having. I took some time to help set up his bike and honestly between the high sag and NEVER checking the air pressure in his WP forks, I could not believe he even survived riding the track. The sag was insanely high and this 200lb guy had air pressure in the forks equivalent for a 120 rider.

Start with the basic bike set up and work your way up slowly at the track. Good luck!
Moto520
1/12/2020 7:45am
https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Lets-see-review-those-2019…

I’ve bled red for ten years now but this thread makes me want to try the KX. Seems like a great bike.
Dude.....its worth it. For so e reason this bike fell between the cracks and i don’t see a ton of them at the local level. It’s the perfect amount of compliancy.
hubbardmx50
1/12/2020 5:00pm
https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Lets-see-review-those-2019…

I’ve bled red for ten years now but this thread makes me want to try the KX. Seems like a great bike.
Moto520 wrote:
Dude.....its worth it. For so e reason this bike fell between the cracks and i don’t see a ton of them at the local level. It’s...
Dude.....its worth it. For so e reason this bike fell between the cracks and i don’t see a ton of them at the local level. It’s the perfect amount of compliancy.
Cool yeah I was reading your posts on that big thread, your bike looks really good. Seems like you weren’t the biggest fan of the bike at first but got used to it(?) Just got home from a race at glen Helen and man the current Honda motor is so damn good for high speed tracks. Maybe I wouldn’t get as tired on the KX though. I’m definitely a huge fan of the current showa forks on the Honda KX and Rmz, I think Showa did a great a job. My friend and long time suspension tuner was a lifetime Honda guy and switched to the 19 KX450 because he hated the 2017 Honda frame haha.
michael_Bryan
1/27/2020 9:01pm
Sorry this took way to long to get I have been busy so I don't have a way to measure in mm so I did it in inchs and I got 21 3/8 and 19 3/16 and converting it says I got about 55.5 sag. I'm gonna try and get that fixed tomorrow do you guys think that would affect my jumping? I did get my new graphics done just waiting on a seat cover and now I need new pegs gonna get the fast evo4s I think
MXer391
1/28/2020 9:33am Edited Date/Time 1/28/2020 9:35am
According to those numbers, you have 118mm of race sag and 63 mm of static sag. You need to be in the ball park of 105mm of race sag and 35-45mm of static sag. There are lots of videos on how to set your sag correctly. Check them out and you should be good to go.
michael_Bryan
1/28/2020 9:43am
MXer391 wrote:
According to those numbers, you have 118mm of race sag and 63 mm of static sag. You need to be in the ball park of 105mm...
According to those numbers, you have 118mm of race sag and 63 mm of static sag. You need to be in the ball park of 105mm of race sag and 35-45mm of static sag. There are lots of videos on how to set your sag correctly. Check them out and you should be good to go.
Yeah I watched a bunch yesterday. Do you think this could be my problem with the bike trying to endo a bit? Also is there any calculation stuff to figure out my clickers or at least a good rough idea for my weight?
MXer391
1/28/2020 2:16pm Edited Date/Time 1/28/2020 2:18pm
MXer391 wrote:
According to those numbers, you have 118mm of race sag and 63 mm of static sag. You need to be in the ball park of 105mm...
Yeah I watched a bunch yesterday. Do you think this could be my problem with the bike trying to endo a bit? Also is there any...
Yeah I watched a bunch yesterday. Do you think this could be my problem with the bike trying to endo a bit? Also is there any calculation stuff to figure out my clickers or at least a good rough idea for my weight?
If you have too much race sag, it will affect handling. Get your race sag (you on the bike) set correctly first. Have a friend help you and double check it. Then check your static sag (the bike under its own weight). If your static sag is between 35-45mm, then your shock is properly sprung for you weight. Where you clickers should be set is a personal preference, but I would start with your owners manuals recommended settings or you can get good info from many media outlets. I believe theres a lengthy thread on here covering your bike with tons of info.

As for your fork, set the clickers in the middle somewhere and put a zip ty around your lower fork tube and go ride where you normally do. If the zip ty is all the way down near the bottom, say 1.5-2 inches, you are bottoming out. Then try turning in the compression clickers (top of the forks)clockwise until it feels comfortable to you. You can adjust the rebound (bottom of the forks) to control what you may feel as "bouncy or springy" as well. The same theory applies for tuning the shock, other than you cant use a zip ty. But if its too soft your tire may hit the fender and you'll see marks.

The most important thing is to keep track of your changes. Don't be afraid to turn the clickers in or out and write down settings that feel comfortable to you. I'm no suspension expert but anyone can usually dial in their bike to working pretty good with some testing and a screwdriver.
michael_Bryan
1/28/2020 2:46pm
MXer391 wrote:
Yeah I watched a bunch yesterday. Do you think this could be my problem with the bike trying to endo a bit? Also is there any...
MXer391 wrote:
If you have too much race sag, it will affect handling. Get your race sag (you on the bike) set correctly first. Have a friend help...
If you have too much race sag, it will affect handling. Get your race sag (you on the bike) set correctly first. Have a friend help you and double check it. Then check your static sag (the bike under its own weight). If your static sag is between 35-45mm, then your shock is properly sprung for you weight. Where you clickers should be set is a personal preference, but I would start with your owners manuals recommended settings or you can get good info from many media outlets. I believe theres a lengthy thread on here covering your bike with tons of info.

As for your fork, set the clickers in the middle somewhere and put a zip ty around your lower fork tube and go ride where you normally do. If the zip ty is all the way down near the bottom, say 1.5-2 inches, you are bottoming out. Then try turning in the compression clickers (top of the forks)clockwise until it feels comfortable to you. You can adjust the rebound (bottom of the forks) to control what you may feel as "bouncy or springy" as well. The same theory applies for tuning the shock, other than you cant use a zip ty. But if its too soft your tire may hit the fender and you'll see marks.

The most important thing is to keep track of your changes. Don't be afraid to turn the clickers in or out and write down settings that feel comfortable to you. I'm no suspension expert but anyone can usually dial in their bike to working pretty good with some testing and a screwdriver.
Thank you for the detailed response and tips I'll go set my sag in a hour or so
hubbardmx50
1/28/2020 2:58pm
Michael that's a great looking bike, enjoy your kx! Another thing to keep in mind is checking sag is useless if you aren't consistent. I would take a sharpie and mark your rear fender where you're taking your measurement from so you know each time. It makes achieving consistency much easier. And like MXer said 105mm sounds about right. That's what Motocross Action says they ran when they race tested the bike
hubbardmx50
1/28/2020 3:03pm
And to answer your question about the bike kicking and endoing, being that far off with your sag can absolutely be what's causing that. It completely changes the way the bike handles.
michael_Bryan
1/28/2020 3:43pm
Sags at 103.6 with me on it and just the bikes at 35.
Clickers are
Front left fork 9 click top 8 click bottom
Front right 11 top 11 bottom
Flat head on rear coil 14
Flat head on linkage 8

What do you guys think? I find it odd the the forks are different for each side or is the normal?
michael_Bryan
1/28/2020 3:45pm
Michael that's a great looking bike, enjoy your kx! Another thing to keep in mind is checking sag is useless if you aren't consistent. I would...
Michael that's a great looking bike, enjoy your kx! Another thing to keep in mind is checking sag is useless if you aren't consistent. I would take a sharpie and mark your rear fender where you're taking your measurement from so you know each time. It makes achieving consistency much easier. And like MXer said 105mm sounds about right. That's what Motocross Action says they ran when they race tested the bike
I checked it from the top of the axle to the bottom of the fender right at a letter on the graphics
MXer391
1/28/2020 5:38pm
Sags at 103.6 with me on it and just the bikes at 35. Clickers are Front left fork 9 click top 8 click bottom Front right...
Clickers are
Flat head on linkage 8

What do you guys think? I find it odd the the forks are different for each side or is the normal?
You definitely want to make sure that both compression and rebound on each fork leg is the SAME. When you are counting clicks, make sure you are counting out counter clockwise from the whole way in. Your sag numbers are good. You didn’t mention your weight but sounds like your spring rate is in the ballpark.

Don’t forget that your shock has a high speed adjuster as well.( It’s the nut on the outside of the compression adjuster on the shock.)

Try these settings to get a feel for it.
Fork Compression: 14 Clicks out
Fork rebound: 12 clicks out
Shock low speed compression( screw driver slot) 18 clicks out
Shock high speed : turn the nut all the way in and then back it off 1.5 turns
Shock rebound: 12 clicks out
michael_Bryan
1/28/2020 6:20pm
Sags at 103.6 with me on it and just the bikes at 35. Clickers are Front left fork 9 click top 8 click bottom Front right...
Clickers are
Flat head on linkage 8

MXer391 wrote:
You definitely want to make sure that both compression and rebound on each fork leg is the SAME. When you are counting clicks, make sure you...
You definitely want to make sure that both compression and rebound on each fork leg is the SAME. When you are counting clicks, make sure you are counting out counter clockwise from the whole way in. Your sag numbers are good. You didn’t mention your weight but sounds like your spring rate is in the ballpark.

Don’t forget that your shock has a high speed adjuster as well.( It’s the nut on the outside of the compression adjuster on the shock.)

Try these settings to get a feel for it.
Fork Compression: 14 Clicks out
Fork rebound: 12 clicks out
Shock low speed compression( screw driver slot) 18 clicks out
Shock high speed : turn the nut all the way in and then back it off 1.5 turns
Shock rebound: 12 clicks out
Ok cool I'll do that tomorrow and I'm 173 lbs with out my gear
michael_Bryan
2/21/2020 8:34pm
Ok so sorry been a while since I was on my down stairs of my home flooded but im getting it fixed tomorrow will be my first day at the track since the almost endo and it's the same track I adjusted the clickers to the specs above I'll post tomorrow night
michael_Bryan
2/23/2020 6:46am
Ok yesterday was amazing the bike felt so much more comfortable and handled great I didn't try and clear the 50 but was landing with my front tire Right at the crest of the landing felt great all the other jumps I cleared easily and felt great on the only time I nose down flew was once and it was cause I had to let off in 3rd gear up the ramp cause some one slowed back on top of the table. Thank you guys for helping me out with this long process it always take me time to get stuff done cause 4 kids all having activities makes it that way.
hubbardmx50
2/24/2020 8:39am
Glad you’re feeling better on the bike. A re-valve is nice if you’re racing but It’s crazy how much better feeling you can get just tweaking your suspension for free.
michael_Bryan
2/24/2020 8:45am
Glad you’re feeling better on the bike. A re-valve is nice if you’re racing but It’s crazy how much better feeling you can get just tweaking...
Glad you’re feeling better on the bike. A re-valve is nice if you’re racing but It’s crazy how much better feeling you can get just tweaking your suspension for free.
Yes it was amazing and I started playing with the throttle in the air and it was crazy how much it adjusts your angle when flying. I did jump the 50 to the very end of the top and my front felt like it was springy if that makes sense it popped back up off the ground is that something I can adjust
4/16/2021 5:28pm
MXer391 wrote:
MXer391 wrote:
If you have too much race sag, it will affect handling. Get your race sag (you on the bike) set correctly first. Have a friend help...

Great feedback. Seems you know a thing or two on the shock sag, so I want to run this by you. So the pro circuit pdf and race tech both seem to go by 20-40 as the range for static. You mention here 35-45.. I am 213ish vet rider. I liked rare sag around 107, and my static was 31 with the stock spring. I felt like
I was riding the lower portion of the stroke a lot, so i figured I would try out the spring rate Change. RT calculator put me at 5.87, so I ordered up a 5.8. Just set the sag at 106 and I have 38 static with the new spring. I also had the shock rebuilt and greased up the linkages while it was off.

Just curious of these two settings, what your comments would be on them. Just got the 5.8 on tonight, heading to a stand track tomorrow. Set the clickers back at stock, so we shall see how it goes.

Post a reply to: 2019 kx450 suspension tuning.

The Latest