Stripped out Transmission Drain Bolt

Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:31am
How would i go about getting this thing off. I have tried Using a smaller sprocket and trying to hammer it on there, but that just stripped it out more. I have a race this weekend and Trans Oil Needs Changing. I have heard that i can cut a slit in it and try and use it as a flat head but wanna see if any other things to try. I also know you can drill it out, but im really not trying to do all that. Please let me know what to do. Thanks alot.
|
lumpy790
10/13/2011 8:54pm
Do you already have a new drain bolt?

Cold chisel in the off direction.....when it gets a good solid bite give it a good hard whack.
bgpn35
10/14/2011 6:20am
if you cut the slit into it and used a screw driver im not sure you could get enough leverage to break it loose! unless you got pop eye forearms! they do make a tool thats a screw driver that when you hit the end with a hammer it turns the screw driver end, they work really good but i wouldnt hit it to hard because of the fragile cases!! the bolt extractor tool that motofab showed work great and also EZ outs work good to!! another thing that might work is if you have a air impact wrench and a socket that has the closest fit will more than likely work!
CR250Rider
10/14/2011 7:54am
engine cases are fragile and expensive, be very careful with a hammer
what model bike is it?

The Shop

CamP
10/14/2011 8:19am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2011 8:22am
+1 on the chisel. Hit the head of the bolt from the side, to spin the bolt in the counter clockwise direction. Once you get a little bite in the head of the bolt, a little wack from the side usually gets the bolt spinning.

6 point sockets will prevent stuff like this in the future.
lumpy790
10/14/2011 9:25am
CamP wrote:
+1 on the chisel. Hit the head of the bolt from the side, to spin the bolt in the counter clockwise direction. Once you get a...
+1 on the chisel. Hit the head of the bolt from the side, to spin the bolt in the counter clockwise direction. Once you get a little bite in the head of the bolt, a little wack from the side usually gets the bolt spinning.

6 point sockets will prevent stuff like this in the future.
exactly
MOTODAD422
10/14/2011 12:05pm
Good vise grips,and tap the vise grips with a hammer.
mx5471
10/14/2011 12:33pm
Us a small pipe wrench.
10/14/2011 5:53pm
Hit a slightly smaller socket on it with a hammer and take an impact gun to it. It should come out, if not, try the other suggestions!
10/14/2011 6:27pm
I tried a small sprocket, Tried vice grips, tried cutting a slit, i ended up using a chisel and hammering it out. It wasn't the smartest thing to do but it got the job done. Thanks for all the help.
Dnlp D952
10/14/2011 6:59pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2011 7:00pm
motofab36 wrote:
I assume you mean the head is rounded off? Buy a set of these, my local Menards has them, check the tool section at all your...
I assume you mean the head is rounded off?

Buy a set of these, my local Menards has them, check the tool section at all your large hardware stores in your area. These things work awesome on rounded bolt heads. http://www.irwin.com/tools/browse/screw-bolt-extractors/bolt-extractors
This will do it quicker than you can say WTF?...
motofab36
10/15/2011 6:04am
motofab36 wrote:
I assume you mean the head is rounded off? Buy a set of these, my local Menards has them, check the tool section at all your...

Buy a set of these, my local Menards has them, check the tool section at all your large hardware stores in your area. These things work awesome on rounded bolt heads. http://www.irwin.com/tools/browse/screw-bolt-extractors/bolt-extractors
Dnlp D952 wrote:
Appearently you and I are the only ones that have used these. They are worth their weight in gold!
10/15/2011 10:06am
motofab36 wrote:

Extractors are definitely the way to go
Kawirider138
10/18/2011 1:06pm
I had a similar problem 2 years ago when my 09 kx250f was brand new I was doing the first oil change and I went to unscrew it and the head broke off and the threading was still stuck in there. I took it to one of my buddy's and he had to get a special kind of drill bit to drill it out, and when he got it out the threads on the engine casing was all jacked up so we had to re-thread it pretty much it sucked so bad. but I would try going to an ace hardware or any hardware store and looking for that drill bit, it drills a hole into the bolt and when it gets deep enough it grabs hold of it and it should come right out.
MOTODAD422
10/18/2011 1:15pm
I had a similar problem 2 years ago when my 09 kx250f was brand new I was doing the first oil change and I went to...
I had a similar problem 2 years ago when my 09 kx250f was brand new I was doing the first oil change and I went to unscrew it and the head broke off and the threading was still stuck in there. I took it to one of my buddy's and he had to get a special kind of drill bit to drill it out, and when he got it out the threads on the engine casing was all jacked up so we had to re-thread it pretty much it sucked so bad. but I would try going to an ace hardware or any hardware store and looking for that drill bit, it drills a hole into the bolt and when it gets deep enough it grabs hold of it and it should come right out.
Left hand drill bits are available at your better hardware stores.
lumpy790
10/18/2011 2:06pm
I had a similar problem 2 years ago when my 09 kx250f was brand new I was doing the first oil change and I went to...
If that happened on a brand new bike it would be back at the dealer immediately.
10/19/2011 1:53pm
Easy-Outs work good also, can be picked up at home depot, and arent very expensive,
mxryder231
10/23/2011 6:30pm
motofab36 wrote:

Dnlp D952 wrote:
motofab36 wrote:
Appearently you and I are the only ones that have used these. They are worth their weight in gold!
i have a snap-on set works wonders when i was wrenching on customer stuff
scooter5002
11/8/2011 9:19am
Next time try cutting a slot and put the straight bit into an impact driver. The type you whack with a hammer. Works well for me. I just had a cylinder base nut strip off on me half an hour ago. The worst possible on too, the one with least access to. Took a chisel, drove it straight in almost to the stud, then hit the base flange almost down to the cylinder to break it as well, then whacked in the direction to remove it. Voila! Two stokes with the hammer and spun it off by hand.
11/8/2011 9:28am
Next time try cutting a slot and put the straight bit into an impact driver. The type you whack with a hammer. Works well for me...
Next time try cutting a slot and put the straight bit into an impact driver. The type you whack with a hammer. Works well for me. I just had a cylinder base nut strip off on me half an hour ago. The worst possible on too, the one with least access to. Took a chisel, drove it straight in almost to the stud, then hit the base flange almost down to the cylinder to break it as well, then whacked in the direction to remove it. Voila! Two stokes with the hammer and spun it off by hand.
Thats what i had to do, i layed the bike on its side. Then i took a small chisel and a hammer. Took a minute to get a good bit as the aluminum is so soft. Once i did get a bit, i hit it in the off position and it came right off. It was either that or break out the East-outs.
Kawirider138
11/10/2011 1:38pm
lumpy790 wrote:
If that happened on a brand new bike it would be back at the dealer immediately.
I should've taken it back ha I blew it dangit

Post a reply to: Stripped out Transmission Drain Bolt

The Latest