Project Racer!!!!! Pw question

nornevrder
Edited Date/Time 6/17/2015 10:26am
Where do you do your shopping for them? I am going to project this one out and was wondering where you get different colored tires?
|
6/6/2015 4:11am
It's been a few years since I purchased those tires. They were on a close out sale from the company, forget who now.

I wanted green, but all they had left was red and yellow.

The Shop

6/7/2015 6:24pm
Project Racer, cool little scoot! Did it take anything special to put the pro taper bar pad on? Here's a pic of my 4-year-old daughter's:

6/8/2015 11:01am
Beast, cool looking rails . The bar pad fits right on, just a bit tough to get the straps under the bars and secured snugly. It would shift around a little bit.

Sold that one, but I would put a strip of Velcro across the top of the bars, and on the under side of the pad, to help keep it in place a bit better.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
6/8/2015 12:54pm
Some badass looking PW's! OK guys so I just bought my 2 year old a PW. Wife was a little shocked when I pulled in with the bike. Forgot to let her know lol. Anyway I looked it over good when I bought it. Did not see any signs of problems. After I got it home I rode it a handfull of times giving the little guy rides. Let it sit in the garage for a week or so and noticed some oil in garage the other day that I think came from the PW. Any idea where it could or should be coming from? Does the shaft have its own oil system? Any ideas are greatly appreciated! I am planning on doing a full teardown and rebuild before letting my little man start learning to ride on it. Also what is the best training wheel setup to get for him?
6/8/2015 2:43pm
Thanks man!

Jhansen, can you pinpoint where it's coming from? Clean up the underside really well and let me know if you find it.
6/8/2015 7:38pm
If it looks like clean, oil, similar to the injection oil in the bottle behind the front plate, and directly under the center of the bike, chances are it is coming from the oil injection pump. Very common on these little dudes. The pump is under the little plastic cover, directly in front of the rear wheel.

A long # 3 Phillips screwdriver positioned at a slight angle will get the self tapping screw out. Kind of a pain as the handle of the screw driver will be right up against the rear tire. Be careful not to over tighten or cross the screw , or it will bugger the plastic, and not hold, forcing you to go to a bigger screw.

Check the hoses for splits ,cracks. Get a can of aerosol brake cleaner ,and rinse the pump / cover area out . Make sure the pump actuates freely, after cleaning. I put just a drop or two of oil on the pump actuating mechanism.

Once it is clean, leave the cover off, let it sit a day or so, and check for leaks in the pump area.

They are cool little bikes, but kind of a pain to work on, as everything is packed in so tightly.

Working on the oil pump area with the rear wheel on, is a bit trying. Especially re-attaching the cable or accessing the pump bleed screw.

The shaft drive is usually packed with a light grease, not oil. Although gear oil can be used to reduce drag . For play riding, just go with the grease.

I picked up a set of the training wheels a few years ago off of ebay that clamped to the frame cross tube . They were ok, had a bit of adjustment range. But had to be kept tight or they would rotate a bit, causing the wheels to get further away from the ground.

You know they are loose when the kid is riding on a constant angle to one side. I think I paid $60 shipped.

I have a QT 50 gear set up ,with housing, and PW axle installed. Low time on new bearings and seals, brakes.

The QT has a bit lower gear ratio for better acceleration. Top speed is a bit lower. It's just laying on the shelf. Bar risers as well.

6/9/2015 10:57am
Project racer, looking to unload the QT rear end and risers?
I would let them go. Check your PM's for contact info. QT gears seem to be prized just from looking around a bit.
nornevrder
6/10/2015 9:47am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2015 12:19pm
So my little project may be put on hold. I finally got the bearings in and took apart the front end. First off the bottom bushing/bearing race was broke. No big deal though because the bearings came with it. However, where the bearing race was broke it wore a groove into the stem. Kinda a big deal if my boy decides to start jumping right off the bat which I doubt since he is only two. So I proceeded to try and put this thing back together. Well the top nut won't go on. Threads are pretty jacked. Mind you when I got it the nut was missing. I tried to file the threads which worked as it goes on a little fourth but, they are still pretty jacked. So I go onto Ebay to see how much i can get a bottom triple clamp and stem. Between $130-170. That would make it to where I would be at least $700 into it. So I will call my buddy and see if he is willing to come down on the price or not. think it needs a top end to because when it is idling it sounds like there is a small bell in the cylinder. not sure if its normal or if that little piston is banging against the cylinder. Anyhow we will see.
6/11/2015 10:26am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2015 10:34am
nornevrder wrote:
So my little project may be put on hold. I finally got the bearings in and took apart the front end. First off the bottom bushing/bearing...
So my little project may be put on hold. I finally got the bearings in and took apart the front end. First off the bottom bushing/bearing race was broke. No big deal though because the bearings came with it. However, where the bearing race was broke it wore a groove into the stem. Kinda a big deal if my boy decides to start jumping right off the bat which I doubt since he is only two. So I proceeded to try and put this thing back together. Well the top nut won't go on. Threads are pretty jacked. Mind you when I got it the nut was missing. I tried to file the threads which worked as it goes on a little fourth but, they are still pretty jacked. So I go onto Ebay to see how much i can get a bottom triple clamp and stem. Between $130-170. That would make it to where I would be at least $700 into it. So I will call my buddy and see if he is willing to come down on the price or not. think it needs a top end to because when it is idling it sounds like there is a small bell in the cylinder. not sure if its normal or if that little piston is banging against the cylinder. Anyhow we will see.
Shop around a bit. Just put one of the cheapie China top end kits on it. They work good. I have a complete OEM Yamaha top end kit, new ,that I would let go. Better off to keep the bucks down ,though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-PW50-Yamaha-94-PW-50-lower-triple-clamp-/3…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-PW-50-Front-Forks-3PT-23100-01-35-/25193…
6/11/2015 11:28am
You could also run the proper size die over the bad threads, and chase / clean them up. Overall condition of the bike would reflect price. Never paid more than $130 for a basket PW. Just point out the short comings of the bike.

For reference, I gave $600 for this '06 in 2011. It had about one hour on it from new.

I gave $110 for this '05. Needed a carb and CDI box. Both were replaced with China parts, and it ran good. I had about $325 in it, and let it go for $550 to a young couple with a little boy. That was with new plastics ,graphics, air filter, carb, CDI unit, all on the bike.

Before and after pics.

6/11/2015 12:11pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2015 12:46pm
Paid $120 for this pile. Put a brand new China PW clone frame under it that I got for $25 from a closed down China scooter shop buyout.

Had about $400 in this one, as it also needed a new RH case half. New top end, plastic, tires, tubes , graphics, grips, yada,yada. Took $530 for it.

Before.

After.

No before, but $125 brought this home. Had about $300 in it, China top end, tires, tubes filter, steering bearings / races.
It went for $550.

If you end up with more than $300 in straightening up a PW, pass. If it needed that much $$ thrown at it, the purchase price would have to be no more than $200-$250 , max. Unless you just have to have that particular bike.
The right one will come along if you keep on the hunt, and act fast.

None of mine took any longer than about a week to sell, so be ready when a decent one comes up. All of these PW's were gone over very well, and were safe, reliable, ready to ride bikes. Never had a complaint from any buyers.

6/11/2015 12:19pm
The little KTM's like following me home also. $220 for the pair. The air cooler had a new stator on it. The LC was a theft recovery, with a custom paint job and totally cooked engine.

Had just under $300 in the AC model. Let it go for $525. Have all the new parts to fix the LC. Going to keep that one for a bit.

There are deals out there Nor. You will find one.

6/11/2015 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2015 12:43pm
Gave $50 a piece for these China bikes. Under $350 in the pair ,total, ready to ride. Yellow one went for $375. Needed a new front end. Still beat the Dirt runner around with the little guys.

Before

After

Before

After

Gave $100 for the China quad. Battery , two used tires, filter , plastic scoops. Around $225 in it. Left for $500.

If you are going to have to make something from next to nothing, only give next to nothing for it.

All of the total amounts I had in this junk included the initial purchase price of the bikes.

Watch some Pawn Stars and American Gyppers before you make the deal.Woohoo
nornevrder
6/11/2015 4:28pm
I live in Alaska and people don't know what deals are. There was a 1990 pw50 that a guy wanted $850 for. Pws are hard to come buy around here. We will see what my buddy says and just go from there
MOTODAD422
6/11/2015 4:49pm
Someone gave me a baja 110 pit bike. half of the spokes on the rear wheel are broken, and i can't find any. Does anybody know where to find them ? Also need a rear axle and spacers. It's a shame cause it starts right up and sounds good.
mx836
6/11/2015 5:28pm
MOTODAD422 wrote:
Someone gave me a baja 110 pit bike. half of the spokes on the rear wheel are broken, and i can't find any. Does anybody know...
Someone gave me a baja 110 pit bike. half of the spokes on the rear wheel are broken, and i can't find any. Does anybody know where to find them ? Also need a rear axle and spacers. It's a shame cause it starts right up and sounds good.
Post up some pics and maybe some people here can help. If it is one of the generic crf50 knock off "pit bike", most of the generic "pit bike" parts listed on ebay will fit. Probably a 15mm axle which are everywhere on ebay, as well as spacers and whole new wheels for next to nothing.
6/11/2015 6:06pm
MOTODAD422 wrote:
Someone gave me a baja 110 pit bike. half of the spokes on the rear wheel are broken, and i can't find any. Does anybody know...
mx836 wrote:
Post up some pics and maybe some people here can help. If it is one of the generic crf50 knock off "pit bike", most of the...
Post up some pics and maybe some people here can help. If it is one of the generic crf50 knock off "pit bike", most of the generic "pit bike" parts listed on ebay will fit. Probably a 15mm axle which are everywhere on ebay, as well as spacers and whole new wheels for next to nothing.
Yes, XR50/CRF50/TTR50 use the same rim & spoke sets on the 10 inch, 28 spoke hole rims also. I have a set of like new spokes and nipples off our TTR50. Less than an hour on them before I put rims and HD spokes it.

You can have them if you want them. Can you lace a wheel ? Let me know.

I even used the pull off TTR chrome rims on the 2001 KTM 50 Junior Adventure pictured earlier in this thread. Laced right up.

Determine the diameter and length of the axle. Like mx836 said, once you know what you need, the china pit bike stuff is as cheap as it gets. Most come with spacers included.

nornevrder
6/15/2015 6:33am
Can any of you PW50 guys tell me what size die I would need for the steering stem? I am up at work for a couple more weeks and have the opportunity to bring one home if I can figure out the size. I wish I would have remembered to bring it with me in my bags.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
6/17/2015 7:33am
Guys I finally got enough room in the garage to take a peak at the PW 50. It appears that the oil is no longer leaking? The bottom of the motor is pretty dirty so I plan to give the thing a good bath, run it and then keep an eye on where the leak is coming from again. I know that is not much info but that is all I have at the moment. Thanks again for all the great wisdom!
YZed250
6/17/2015 10:26am
You could also run the proper size die over the bad threads, and chase / clean them up. Overall condition of the bike would reflect price...
You could also run the proper size die over the bad threads, and chase / clean them up. Overall condition of the bike would reflect price. Never paid more than $130 for a basket PW. Just point out the short comings of the bike.

For reference, I gave $600 for this '06 in 2011. It had about one hour on it from new.

I gave $110 for this '05. Needed a carb and CDI box. Both were replaced with China parts, and it ran good. I had about $325 in it, and let it go for $550 to a young couple with a little boy. That was with new plastics ,graphics, air filter, carb, CDI unit, all on the bike.

Before and after pics.

Way to go Project Racer! Generations of families will be grateful and future Ryan Dungey-racers may even give you a high-five!
These projects look great. From your posts, I'm sure there's more enjoyment than profit in these things for you.

Post a reply to: Project Racer!!!!! Pw question

The Latest