Power Commander V

Jack_Wagon
6/13/2016 8:34am
Does anyone have any experience with one on a mx bike? Every engine builder i talk to pushes either Vortex or GET, yet very few have the software to program either of them. The Power Commander's ease of use seems like it would make it the product of choice, but I've never heard of anyone using them. Am I missing something?
|
Charper732
6/13/2016 11:05am
I have been preaching this for the longest... A PCV has both fuel and ignition maps for a single cylinder in one unit, plus the ability to control secondary injectors. All that for Much less than a vortex ignition. I have zero experience tuning with a vortex or GET, but I can tell you tuning a PCV on a dyno can be a bit involved but it has quite a bit of different parameters you can adjust at very small RPM increments. Either way, any unit you choose will only be as good as the tuner that is tuning it. If you put up the money for the unit, do it right and get a custom made map.... It's worth it.
11/3/2017 3:13pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with one on a mx bike? Every engine builder i talk to pushes either Vortex or GET, yet very few have...
Does anyone have any experience with one on a mx bike? Every engine builder i talk to pushes either Vortex or GET, yet very few have the software to program either of them. The Power Commander's ease of use seems like it would make it the product of choice, but I've never heard of anyone using them. Am I missing something?
How did you go,did you end up getting one? I was looking at vortex and get then came across these. Can anyone tell me why these are not as good or better then a vortex or get?

Also looking at converting my bike to run on methanol, power commander is the only unit capable of allowing the amount of fuel required.
skypig
11/4/2017 12:28am
The PCV is a piggyback unit. Goes between the ECU and injectors/coils. Set to 0, everything passes straight through.
Allows mixture adjustment and ignition Advance/retard with free software. Most Dyno workshops are familiar
Not really sealed up like you might want for off road use.
I have one on my 701SM

The Vortex is a replacement ECU. It can change things the PC can’t. (Rev limit, injection time/sequence, launch/traction control on KTM/Husky for eg)
The Vortex comes loaded with maps to suit (“best power”, “traction”etc set with screwdriver), can be fine tuned with a screw driver, (low, mid, high mixture) or custom tuned with appropriate software.
I had one on my 690E

No experience with GET, but I understand it’s similar to the Vortex in concept.
11/4/2017 3:24am
skypig wrote:
The PCV is a piggyback unit. Goes between the ECU and injectors/coils. Set to 0, everything passes straight through. Allows mixture adjustment and ignition Advance/retard with...
The PCV is a piggyback unit. Goes between the ECU and injectors/coils. Set to 0, everything passes straight through.
Allows mixture adjustment and ignition Advance/retard with free software. Most Dyno workshops are familiar
Not really sealed up like you might want for off road use.
I have one on my 701SM

The Vortex is a replacement ECU. It can change things the PC can’t. (Rev limit, injection time/sequence, launch/traction control on KTM/Husky for eg)
The Vortex comes loaded with maps to suit (“best power”, “traction”etc set with screwdriver), can be fine tuned with a screw driver, (low, mid, high mixture) or custom tuned with appropriate software.
I had one on my 690E

No experience with GET, but I understand it’s similar to the Vortex in concept.
Ok cool thanks for that. Seems like they oth have their place.

The Shop

Acidreamer
11/4/2017 6:28am
Moose racing makes a power commander too. for $250 it looks like its worth a shot. Idk about you but spending $700 on a vortex for 2hp doesnt sound appealing
skypig
11/4/2017 7:15pm
Acidreamer wrote:
Moose racing makes a power commander too. for $250 it looks like its worth a shot. Idk about you but spending $700 on a vortex for...
Moose racing makes a power commander too. for $250 it looks like its worth a shot. Idk about you but spending $700 on a vortex for 2hp doesnt sound appealing
Thats about 1.5 hp better gain than most pipes.
If I believed I’d get a 2hp gain on my FS450, I’d buy it immediately (Still might, and compare it on the dyno with my reflashed stocker.)

You have to use a bit of logic when thinking about these things. (Rather than hype, and baseless wishful thinking)
1. Different mapping (fuel and ignition) wouldn’t cost the factory’s 1c.
2. The OEM factories are pretty smart.
3. If there is a reason, like pollution laws, that the factory settings are off, big gains can be had. (Like my 701. Unlike most race bikes)
4. If other mods are made - gains are possible to align the ECU settings to the new requirements.
5. Generally, fine tuning to suit the fuel being utilized, the actual bike, and local conditions will yield at least a small improvement. If you are after every advantage, then its worth it. Even to find out it was already as good as it could be.
Jrewing
11/4/2017 10:17pm
I like the different maps at a click on the vortex, and launch control.
Made my bike start way easier. Except map 2 it wouldn't start! Was getting hard to start with my stock computer.
skypig
11/5/2017 2:49pm
Vortex do a LOT of testing for their maps.
It takes a long time. The starting for example: they have to let the bike cool down to cold to check that. Probably get two starts a day to check changes.

Post a reply to: Power Commander V

The Latest