Need Opinion for a New Bike

KyleMX
Edited Date/Time 10/12/2015 3:35pm
Upgrading for my CRF150F I've decided to get a bigger bike and I need an opinion on what I should get and I'm wondering what brand to get I'm an intermediate rider know how to jump corner ETC I'm considering to get into racing and the bike will be used for a little bit of recreational use I'm 5'9" and 130Ibs.
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
10/3/2015 5:45pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2015 5:45pm
How old are you and what's your 5 year life plan?
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
10/4/2015 3:40am
i'd get a 125 two stroke. They are a great learning tool
bronwynrayne
10/4/2015 6:22am
Hey buddy. This isn't the best forum for advice as a newbie but I'll throw you a bone. Get a 125. You're the same size as me and my 125 gets me around more than good enough. I have an '06 YZ 125 but this early in the game just get your ass on a bike and get seat time. Set the suspension up right, and have a buddy who actually knows a thing or two about two stroke dirtbikes come with you to look at bikes. Don't be fooled by cosmetic shit, check the mechanical integrity of the bike.
I also suggest taking an engine rebuild course for a two stroke engine. You'll be doing lots of top end rebuilds, they cost under 300$ to do but you should have some instruction on a less critical engine first. If you but a used 4t you never know the condition of the engine, and it could end up costing you over 2500$ on some bikes to rebuild them. Much more complicated.
Welcome to vital.

The Shop

walent215
10/4/2015 9:17am Edited Date/Time 10/4/2015 9:18am
Hey buddy. This isn't the best forum for advice as a newbie but I'll throw you a bone. Get a 125. You're the same size as...
Hey buddy. This isn't the best forum for advice as a newbie but I'll throw you a bone. Get a 125. You're the same size as me and my 125 gets me around more than good enough. I have an '06 YZ 125 but this early in the game just get your ass on a bike and get seat time. Set the suspension up right, and have a buddy who actually knows a thing or two about two stroke dirtbikes come with you to look at bikes. Don't be fooled by cosmetic shit, check the mechanical integrity of the bike.
I also suggest taking an engine rebuild course for a two stroke engine. You'll be doing lots of top end rebuilds, they cost under 300$ to do but you should have some instruction on a less critical engine first. If you but a used 4t you never know the condition of the engine, and it could end up costing you over 2500$ on some bikes to rebuild them. Much more complicated.
Welcome to vital.
please don't take offense to this as im not trying to get crazy here, but I can do a top end on a 4 stroke for well under $300...of course im doing it myself, however, a 2 stroke top end wont cost me over $100 on a yz 125...obviously if you need the cylinder relined its gonna be more....I see your in Canada so maybe parts are more there? btw, im figuring my prices on piston with wrist pin bearing and top end gasket kit, all pro-x parts.
potatoflake
10/4/2015 7:08pm
KyleMX wrote:
Upgrading for my CRF150F I've decided to get a bigger bike and I need an opinion on what I should get and I'm wondering what brand...
Upgrading for my CRF150F I've decided to get a bigger bike and I need an opinion on what I should get and I'm wondering what brand to get I'm an intermediate rider know how to jump corner ETC I'm considering to get into racing and the bike will be used for a little bit of recreational use I'm 5'9" and 130Ibs.
Yz250 2 stroke, way easier to work on and lower maintenance costs
mb
10/5/2015 7:56am
125 2 stroke is what I would get if I was you.
bronwynrayne
10/5/2015 10:12am
Hey buddy. This isn't the best forum for advice as a newbie but I'll throw you a bone. Get a 125. You're the same size as...
Welcome to vital.
walent215 wrote:
please don't take offense to this as im not trying to get crazy here, but I can do a top end on a 4 stroke for...
please don't take offense to this as im not trying to get crazy here, but I can do a top end on a 4 stroke for well under $300...of course im doing it myself, however, a 2 stroke top end wont cost me over $100 on a yz 125...obviously if you need the cylinder relined its gonna be more....I see your in Canada so maybe parts are more there? btw, im figuring my prices on piston with wrist pin bearing and top end gasket kit, all pro-x parts.
Yeah, you're doing the work yourself, and this guy said in his other post that he wasn't considering 2t as much because he didn't want to have to rebuild the engines. Plus on a 4t you have the issues of valve shimming and a cam chain and all that crap. Someone rebuilding a 4t in their garage with little to no mechanical experience will, 9 times out of 10, detonate their engine and ruin it. There are things in there that there are tricks to fixing, putting back together, balancing, and reading for information on engine health, that a newbie wouldn't be privy to.

I dunno what parts you're using for your top end on a yz125, but OEM is about $180 in parts. I didn't know what colour bike he wanted so I figured I would factor in for the RM's and KTM's. They're all similarly priced but some are more expensive. I don't really care to argue semantics with you, you do your thing, I'll do mine, just trying to give the kid some sound advice that isn't "Shit your pants on a Maico 650"
JZ125
10/5/2015 10:54am
I am more than a little lost as to the original o.p. question.

Ok you listed your weight and someday think you want to race; how can anyone recommend a bike for you?

I rode a KTM SX 125 and I like the power band on my YZ125 better. I like the forks better so the shock is easier to tune. It stands up slightly on corners but is way more push and forgiving. I have to ride it wide open everywhere. 3rd on up it eats like a starving animal.

So I guess based on what was said put a pipe on your CRF150 and re-valve the suspension. Or like the second answer buy a CR500

You go from a CRF150 to a snarling 125 it will throw you on the ground and kick you in the ribs.

More info please
bronwynrayne
10/5/2015 11:03am
JZ125 wrote:
I am more than a little lost as to the original o.p. question. Ok you listed your weight and someday think you want to race; how...

Ok you listed your weight and someday think you want to race; how can anyone recommend a bike for you?

I rode a KTM SX 125 and I like the power band on my YZ125 better. I like the forks better so the shock is easier to tune. It stands up slightly on corners but is way more push and forgiving. I have to ride it wide open everywhere. 3rd on up it eats like a starving animal.

So I guess based on what was said put a pipe on your CRF150 and re-valve the suspension. Or like the second answer buy a CR500

You go from a CRF150 to a snarling 125 it will throw you on the ground and kick you in the ribs.

More info please
Not true. I am 5'9 and 125lbs and my very first bike was a 300 2t. A 125 2t would be fine for him as long as he eases himself into the powerband.
JZ125
10/5/2015 11:45am
JZ125 wrote:
I am more than a little lost as to the original o.p. question. Ok you listed your weight and someday think you want to race; how...

More info please
Not true. I am 5'9 and 125lbs and my very first bike was a 300 2t. A 125 2t would be fine for him as long...
Not true. I am 5'9 and 125lbs and my very first bike was a 300 2t. A 125 2t would be fine for him as long as he eases himself into the powerband.
You get no argument from me on your comment.

I humbly submit to you and to him, there was not much info provided. A 125 can really rip and be a very aggressive, wild bike to ride. My bike is not a roll on bike, clutch in, full gas clutch out and hang on.

Now I think personally my brother in laws YZ450F is a touch easier to ride. It is all or nothing on the 125 and not so much on the 450.
10/10/2015 10:23am
When I was 13 I weighed around 120-130lbs. I was riding a HONDA CR 250 and at that weight and age that bike could do no wrong... to me, it was perfect in every way..not too powerfull, or heavy..just rite for the hills and woods that I grew up riding on.. If guys like RV and RC at a buck fifty can handle 65 HP 450's... you can adapt to an 47 HP 250 2 stroke..IMHO, 250 2 strokes are almost the perfect race bikes, trail bike, do everything bikes...
BobPA
10/10/2015 4:15pm
JZ125 wrote:
You get no argument from me on your comment. I humbly submit to you and to him, there was not much info provided. A 125 can...

I humbly submit to you and to him, there was not much info provided. A 125 can really rip and be a very aggressive, wild bike to ride. My bike is not a roll on bike, clutch in, full gas clutch out and hang on.

Now I think personally my brother in laws YZ450F is a touch easier to ride. It is all or nothing on the 125 and not so much on the 450.
I bet it runs on jet fuel and goes 110 MPH too...
JZ125
10/12/2015 11:31am
JZ125 wrote:
You get no argument from me on your comment. I humbly submit to you and to him, there was not much info provided. A 125 can...

BobPA wrote:
I bet it runs on jet fuel and goes 110 MPH too...

No jet fuel, I just prefer to spray it
10/12/2015 12:31pm
If you're only 130 lbs it's probably best to get a 125. You can never go wrong with a Japanese 125. Honda / Suzuki / Yamaha / Kawasaki they're all good bikes. They're reliable. If you want a fast race ready 125 you could go with a KTM or Husqvarna but expect higher maintenance costs.
Cancerman
10/12/2015 3:35pm Edited Date/Time 10/12/2015 3:36pm
A 2smoke 125 will do the least damage, if he's going to start riding tracks and such, the 125 will force you to learn how to ride fast. A 250 will eat you up as soon as you open the throttle. 125's are fun, tires last longer, chains, etc. I have a CR500 powered RMZ, and a Kawasaki 250, but my RM 125 is still my sweetie. You can always go bigger, later. I'm considering doing a 144 on mine. Nothing handles like a 125. A broomstick with a motor. Pure moto, in my opinion. Good luck, have fun storming the castle.

Post a reply to: Need Opinion for a New Bike

The Latest