WORN CLUTCH COVER KICK STARTER BOSS REPAIR

barnett468
Edited Date/Time 1/12/2019 2:16pm
This isn't anything novel or useful to most people, but if you have a vintage bike, and it is a big bore, and the hole in the clutch cover for the kick starter shaft is sloppy because it takes such a high force to kick start the pig, you can just bore the hole out and install a bronze bushing.

Intstalling an automatic compression release will help too and I am nearly done installing one on my YZ465.

|
barnett468
1/11/2019 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2019 3:35pm
neverwas wrote:
Nice fix
Thanks, the simple fixes are often the best ones. This will easily outlast the original magnesium and aluminum boss's, but ideally, it is really best to reduce the load on it which is easily done by installing the compression release I mentioned, which I should have it finished tomorrow. I may post photos of how I did it as well, but it too is nothing new. Te biggest difference is that they now have automatic pop off releases so one no longer has to hold the lever on the bars while they kick the crap out of their 490cc 2 stroke.

MaxPower
1/12/2019 2:00pm
that's a great idea.
how bad was it ? It never occurred to me that hole gets worn
barnett468
1/12/2019 2:10pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2019 2:16pm
MaxPower wrote:
that's a great idea.
how bad was it ? It never occurred to me that hole gets worn
It was so worn that it allowed the kick starter gear to rub the case and gouge a trench in it, lol. It also allowed there to be space between the shaft and the seal lip when kicking it so it was leaking a lot. I have another YZ465 and the clutch case is actually broken from either the amount of force it requires to kick these over or maybe when it backfired etc because the hole is less worn on these. The one I am working on also had a broken kick starter pawl. I think a nice electric starter is looking pretty nice right now!

The wall of the bushing can be made even thinner, but it can get a little hard to press it in if it gets much thinner. The bushing also does not add any strength to the cases, and in fact, the bigger the bushing od is, the weaker the case will be, so I try to make them as small on the od as is reasonable.

Post a reply to: WORN CLUTCH COVER KICK STARTER BOSS REPAIR

The Latest