Body Armor?

logskidder
3/30/2022 10:38am Edited Date/Time 6/27/2022 12:29pm
Hello All,

I'm looking at some body armor for an upcoming dual sport ride. I normally wear a chest protector, with a camel back under it. I'm looking for more storage options like a USWE Raw 12 or something of that nature, but since its larger it may interfere with chest protector. Looking for input on what you guys may wear. Alpinestars Bionic jackets, Leatt airfit, or what other options. Thanks in advance.
|
Splat03
3/30/2022 11:30am
I currently use a Leatt 5.5 chest protector with an OGIO Flight Vest over the chest protector. The Leatt serves dual purpose for moto and off road. I love the Flight vest. It has tons of storage options and carries a water bladder, compatible with many different types and sizes up to about 3l. It has pockets on the front and back that allow better weight distribution instead of all on your back like a water pack. That being said, the Flight vest with the Leatt chest protector is pretty warm and does not allow for great airflow. I've considered going to a more minimalist chest protector to help mitigate the lack of airflow. We ride trail when offroad so the speeds can be a bit slower than dual-sport. The airflow is much better in the high speed sections and not a problem.
The other problem I run into with the Ogio is on me, not the product. I see available room in the pockets and want to fill them up. The vest can get heavy in a hurry because of me if I'm not careful. During group rides, especially with regular riding partners, we distribute different gear and try to not duplicate efforts. One guy might have tubes and irons, another has wrenches and spare bolts while someone else carries a small medical pack. Obviously, there are bike specific bolts and wrenches but one person carrying a T wrench or irons is sufficient.
Leatt has a water pack combo with a chest protector front. It looks interesting but the reviews have been about 3.5/5 stars so I'm not totally sold on it. I've heard good things about other adventure style vest water pack systems but haven't tried any others myself.
Shenzi
Fantasy
1267th
6/14/2022 6:50am
I wear a USWE on tp of my Dainese MX1 body armor... I am an old man, im ok with the phat boy look 🤣

Crash217
6/15/2022 8:21am
I wear a fanny pack style water bladder. I can't stand wearing the backpack style camelbacks. They are hot and make my chest protector fit oddly. The 1.5L of water is plenty for a 2 hour race or I refill as needed at enduros. I toss a cloth baggy of tools into it if I feel I might need tools during a ride or race. I usually run a zip tie between the fanny pack and my chest protector because as I drink water, it tends to loosen up and slide down. But with the ziptie it balances out and doesn't let the pack slide down nor make my chest protector choke me.

I've been wanting to try one of the body armor jacket/suit things but I don't have any friends that use them to try and haven't gotten around to spending the extra cash on one.

The Shop

Rider 5280
6/25/2022 9:27pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2022 10:25am
I wear an Alpinestars Bionic Action jacket with an athletic mesh undershirt and MX jersey over. On top of that I wear a Leatt 5.5 GPX neck brace that interfaces well with the Alpinestars and then a USWE Outlander 2L hydration pack (using hands-free drink setup) for MX and a CamelBak Ratchet for offroad.

This ^^^ combo integrates well together, is super functional and comfortable, no complaints.

I don't think you would have any problem going to a much bigger pack given how I've observed all the items to fit for me.

Pack-wise, I will say, I feel CamelBak is superior to USWE. I've owned 8 CamelBaks over many years (currently have 3, a Mule, a Ratchet, and a Hawg) and 2 USWE packs (an Outlander 2L and an Outlander 3L). On all counts, I personally feel the CamelBak is better: build quality, design, and fit. Your mileage may vary ...

Summary:
Get body armor. It's a good investment in your safety and can be made totally comfortable.
logskidder
6/27/2022 12:29pm
Thanks for all the input. I been looking hard at the alpinestars stuff and that may be the direction I go with.

Post a reply to: Body Armor?

The Latest