Just sold Our Piano...Shipping advice

Bill_Carroll
Fantasy
755th
Edited Date/Time 10/22/2022 12:16pm
Can't believe I'm asking Vital for Piano shipping advice but here's I go.

Sold a very expensive Piano last week on a site that sells such expensive items. (Residence to Residence)
Buyers were all over it and it sold. Now I have to ship it from Colorado springs To MUENSTER, TX 76252.

This last 24 hrs I tried Uship but no response so far. I'm sure it's because of the delicate item in transfer. Now at another shipping Co asking their cost. Still know response.(8 hrs).

I don't want to go to Texas to deliver this Fine Piece but if I have to I will.
Any advice on such matters is greatly appreciated.
|
colintrax
Fantasy
2384th
10/18/2022 8:23pm
Look into freight shipping companies. Can't think of any of the names right now but they have reasonable rates for this stuff.

Uship is useless IMO
KennyT
Fantasy
140th
10/18/2022 8:33pm Edited Date/Time 10/18/2022 8:34pm
My uncle gave my daughter a piano that was in the family for years. He had to find “piano movers”, not a standard shipping company. I guess it’s not as easy as moving a refer or whatever. I think Dayna said it was around $500 to ship it approx 50-60 miles.

Of course this is So Cal, where we get reamed on anything that involves $$$
lostboy819
Fantasy
1173rd
10/18/2022 9:54pm Edited Date/Time 10/18/2022 9:55pm
Expensive pianos and expensive grandfather clocks are best shipped with pros who do it for a living. Same with shipping classic and exotic cars, last thing you want is to damage it and the pros will set it up and tune it at its new home. Check with high end music stores to see who they use.

The Shop

34moto894
10/19/2022 9:05am
Call your local moving companies a lot of them outsource that work to folks who specialize.

There are companies that strictly do piano and very high end transportation like lostboy mentioned.

I would get it crated for the transit.
early
Fantasy
2263rd
10/19/2022 9:22am
If it's that valuable, I would drive it myself or find a piano mover that's on the up and up. I've seen movers and truck drivers I wouldn't trust with Fisher-Price piano.
Falcon
Fantasy
834th
10/19/2022 9:30am Edited Date/Time 10/19/2022 9:31am
lostboy819 wrote:
Expensive pianos and expensive grandfather clocks are best shipped with pros who do it for a living. Same with shipping classic and exotic cars, last thing...
Expensive pianos and expensive grandfather clocks are best shipped with pros who do it for a living. Same with shipping classic and exotic cars, last thing you want is to damage it and the pros will set it up and tune it at its new home. Check with high end music stores to see who they use.
This.
A piano will go out of tune quickly while on the road due to temperature changes and vibration. You need to have the movers:
A ) Protect the valuable finish and structural integrity of the piano, and;
B ) Be able to tune it up at its destination.

Otherwise, your

Will sound like

And your buyer will be pissed.
eeazye
10/19/2022 10:33am
I had these guys ship a bike to me from Texas, and that’s all they do. Moving pianos and motorcycles. Give them a call, maybe you could take advantage of a deadhead run if they’re out your way making a pickup or delivery. Super professional and were on time with good communication.

http://www.keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com/rates.asp
GrapeApe
Fantasy
461st
10/19/2022 10:39am
I'm curious who the heck is buying an expensive piano in Muenster, Texas? lol
Jeremy A.K.
10/19/2022 2:25pm
I moved a few uprights in my day when inwas younger ,worked for a mover on Saturdays for 100 bucks off the books . I can't imagine moving something like that and not fugging it up .
Bill_Carroll
Fantasy
755th
10/19/2022 7:09pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Expensive pianos and expensive grandfather clocks are best shipped with pros who do it for a living. Same with shipping classic and exotic cars, last thing...
Falcon wrote:
This. A piano will go out of tune quickly while on the road due to temperature changes and vibration. You need to have the movers: A...
This.
A piano will go out of tune quickly while on the road due to temperature changes and vibration. You need to have the movers:
A ) Protect the valuable finish and structural integrity of the piano, and;
B ) Be able to tune it up at its destination.

Otherwise, your

Will sound like

And your buyer will be pissed.
Thank you guys.
This piece has been in our Family since 2001, so I'm down with all the how to's and whatnot just not how to ship it from State to state.

Funny note Falcon; When ever we moved it 20 ft across the room you could tell it needed retune.
Rule of thumb is to have it retune on every move including across the room and every 6 months. If played often every 5 months.
This piece has been loved like a new 72, Camaro since it's been with us, And Before as we can tell.
Thanks again for your input Gents.
SEEMEFIRST
10/19/2022 9:03pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2022 9:05pm
GrapeApe wrote:
Da fuq you got against Muenster Texas?
Ever been there?
Home of one of the best off road places in Texas..

And some world class cattle breeders.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
461st
10/20/2022 6:54am
GrapeApe wrote:
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Da fuq you got against Muenster Texas? Ever been there? Home of one of the best off road places in Texas.. And some world class cattle...
Ever been there?

I've spent a lot of time in Muenster, riding the trails at Bulcher as a kid and these days enjoying the best gravel riding in the state. I learned how to ride motorcycles, shoot guns, drive farm trucks and drink beer at a family friend's ranch just outside of Montague. Chores all morning until lunch, then playing the rest of the day on a 600 acre playground until the sun goes down. We've been looking for land up there for a few years, hoping to pull the trigger once our youngest gets through college. I know the area and the people very well. Great folks, but I stand by my comment lol
SEEMEFIRST
10/20/2022 8:20am
GrapeApe wrote:
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Da fuq you got against Muenster Texas? Ever been there? Home of one of the best off road places in Texas.. And some world class cattle...
Ever been there?

GrapeApe wrote:
I've spent a lot of time in Muenster, riding the trails at Bulcher as a kid and these days enjoying the best gravel riding in the...
I've spent a lot of time in Muenster, riding the trails at Bulcher as a kid and these days enjoying the best gravel riding in the state. I learned how to ride motorcycles, shoot guns, drive farm trucks and drink beer at a family friend's ranch just outside of Montague. Chores all morning until lunch, then playing the rest of the day on a 600 acre playground until the sun goes down. We've been looking for land up there for a few years, hoping to pull the trigger once our youngest gets through college. I know the area and the people very well. Great folks, but I stand by my comment lol
Just yanking your chain.

There's some money up there though.
The guy we bought a show heifer from bought the #3 Red Angus bull in the country at the time, and there were lots of zeros on that check.
Bill_Carroll
Fantasy
755th
10/21/2022 12:08pm
GrapeApe wrote:
She's a music teacher from a local school. Don't have all the facts but I think the school bought it so she could use it for the class and school theatre/Holidays?
ToolMaker
Fantasy
462nd
10/21/2022 5:42pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Ever been there?

I sent you a DM regarding another thread, I didn't get anything back. Did you not respond or did I just not get it?
TM
SEEMEFIRST
10/21/2022 7:17pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Ever been there?

ToolMaker wrote:
I sent you a DM regarding another thread, I didn't get anything back. Did you not respond or did I just not get it?
TM
Oh, I guess I didn't get it.

I don't think I get messages here.

Try karl.williams@empmanufacturing.com.
10/21/2022 7:23pm
In Karl’s defense, there does seem to be a flaw with the messaging system here.
SEEMEFIRST
10/21/2022 7:36pm
Thanks, Jeff.

I wasn't going to try to hard to figure it out.
Django
10/22/2022 12:16pm
Rent a U-Haul and move it yourself. Have the buyer to have a tuner come in afterwards.

Post a reply to: Just sold Our Piano...Shipping advice

The Latest