Health Insurance

Related:
Create New Tag

5/31/2016 5:42 PM

Has Obamacare helped or hurt you?

I provide group for my company and it keeps going thru the roof but it is easier to get good coverage

|

5/31/2016 7:07 PM

My insurance went from $271/month to $62/month for better coverage.....and when I did a tib/fib 1 1/2 years ago (2 plates and 23 screws), about 3 months after it went into effect, it worked like a charm!

|

5/31/2016 7:40 PM

I retired at 65 so have Medicare but my wife needed to retire at 62 due to a chronic back problem. Before Obamacare she would not have been able to get coverage due to her preexisting conditions. We're not eligible for assistance due to our income and it ain't cheap but we can get her covered until she's 65. It's been a good thing for us.

|

My wife calls you guys the Yahoos.

5/31/2016 8:25 PM

Hurt!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone that is young and healthy and making too much for subsidies get hurt...but they are the ones that pay for the entire program...so yeah, I hate it. More money for worse coverage for me.

|

5/31/2016 8:30 PM

before the AHCA I was paying $750 a quarter for a High Deductible plan , I pay the first $3500 then it covers 100% , premium not included in the $3500.

I just got the quarterly bill today $1368.00 That equals $452 a month and then $3500 out of pocket

I inquired about trying to save money and have been told not to let my current policy lapse because it's the best deal out there for me.

So yea FK Obama and his affordable health care.

|

5/31/2016 9:57 PM

Anyone have issues finding doctors that accept medicaid or insurance from exchanges. I hear that people buying individual policies from exchange are finding it difficult.

|

5/31/2016 10:10 PM

My wife got it through the exchange. Expensive like I said $600 a month but no problem getting a doctor. If it wasn't for Obamacare she'd had to try to get disability, which she did not want to do, or keep working in serious pain She was getting the nerves in her back burned every six month to get by and it was getting less and less effective.

|

My wife calls you guys the Yahoos.

6/1/2016 1:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2016 1:37 AM

Mixed bag here with Kaiser Permanente.

We got dropped a few times, pay about 30% higher premiums for less coverage, have fewer options for providers, have been unable to see the same doctor twice in 3 years, have to spend a few hours each month on the phone to square away an endless stream of mistakes on their end while they adjust to the new rules, all that fun stuff.

But with all the new rules ("life changing event" + open enrollment period + pre-existing clause), we were able to bounce around coverage plans and only spend a grand total of $450 to have our kid delivered.

That's kind of an exception though I guess, I expect I'll be paying the difference back many times over from now on :/

|

6/1/2016 3:09 AM


We have I think it's called Highmark at work.
I'm 61.
I pay half of 941.00 a month.
I pay I think 40 a month for dental.
I pay some kind of Medicare payment, maybe 20 a month.
I pay social security, which my employer has to match
My employer also has to carry workmens comp.
I think we have 1000 deductible.
I can not get care unless everything that transpires between myself and a doctor is entered in a national database.
And I'm told that doctor will only prescribe and treat me as the insurance carrier allows.

I hope it all implodes, id like to see every insurance company, broker and government official involved with this
done away with.

Just my opinion.
|

6/1/2016 4:44 AM

For me, the AHA raised my premiums, raised my deductable, lowered % paid by insurance, raised the cost of my daily prescriptions, and pissed off my doctor.

The only good thing that I see is that an insurance company can not deny coverage for pre-existing conditions. Keep that and use the rest of the 4000 pages to start a bonfire.

|

6/1/2016 5:32 AM

Arkansas is trying to pass double digit rate increases for it this year....

|

The message posted above is most likely my opinion and shouldn't be taken as fact....

6/1/2016 7:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2016 7:32 AM

Started at $425/month and $2500 deductible for wife and I. Currently at $1125/month and $5000 deductible for wife, three year old, 5 year old and me. All are healthy.
Yes I feel fucked by AHCA

|

6/1/2016 8:14 AM

I have told this story before, but I went from being pretty much crippled to a productive human again because of Obamacare. My broken hip was a "pre-existing condition" and I could never get a hip replacement. Two-thirds of the bone was gone in the ball of my femur. Doc told me I was walking around on a broken leg. Lived in severe pain every day and night and could barely walk.
My boss saw how much I was suffering and told me to quit and go on disability. This was an office job.

So I was pretty much screwed despite paying $270/month for insurance. Got my hip fixed three years ago and 99% of the pain is gone. Raising my daughter would have been a complete bitch with my messed up hip.

|

6/1/2016 9:04 AM

My wife was a full-time PR agent with a house in Florida and life was good.
One day she got bitten by a tick and came down with Lyme disease that almost killed her. She was in a bed for years, no doctor could figure it out.
She lost everything after she blew through her insurance. She went hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. Ended up living in her car for a bit (before I met her) because her family would not take care of her.

What some of the idiots in America don't realize is how bad our system was. It's simple- get chronically ill, you get tossed aside to die.
We are the only advanced nation where this happens, pretty much, all because of an incredibly stupid "survival of the fittest" mentality that is propagated by the Republican party and the simplistic, ignorant outlook of many of its followers.

|

6/1/2016 9:13 AM

One Last Comeback wrote:

My wife was a full-time PR agent with a house in Florida and life was good.
One day she got bitten by a tick and came down with Lyme disease that almost killed her. She was in a bed for years, no doctor could figure it out.
She lost everything after she blew through her insurance. She went hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. Ended up living in her car for a bit (before I met her) because her family would not take care of her.

What some of the idiots in America don't realize is how bad our system was. It's simple- get chronically ill, you get tossed aside to die.
We are the only advanced nation where this happens, pretty much, all because of an incredibly stupid "survival of the fittest" mentality that is propagated by the Republican party and the simplistic, ignorant outlook of many of its followers.

"We are the only advanced nation where this happens...". Yet they line up to come here. Makes you wonder, huh?


I think it's more ignorant to expect others to pay for your thrills...but that's just my opinion.

|

The message posted above is most likely my opinion and shouldn't be taken as fact....

6/1/2016 9:16 AM

One Last Comeback wrote:

I have told this story before, but I went from being pretty much crippled to a productive human again because of Obamacare. My broken hip was a "pre-existing condition" and I could never get a hip replacement. Two-thirds of the bone was gone in the ball of my femur. Doc told me I was walking around on a broken leg. Lived in severe pain every day and night and could barely walk.
My boss saw how much I was suffering and told me to quit and go on disability. This was an office job.

So I was pretty much screwed despite paying $270/month for insurance. Got my hip fixed three years ago and 99% of the pain is gone. Raising my daughter would have been a complete bitch with my messed up hip.

How did your premiums change pre vs post Obamacare?

|

No Signature.

6/1/2016 9:26 AM

One Last Comeback wrote:

I have told this story before, but I went from being pretty much crippled to a productive human again because of Obamacare. My broken hip was a "pre-existing condition" and I could never get a hip replacement. Two-thirds of the bone was gone in the ball of my femur. Doc told me I was walking around on a broken leg. Lived in severe pain every day and night and could barely walk.
My boss saw how much I was suffering and told me to quit and go on disability. This was an office job.

So I was pretty much screwed despite paying $270/month for insurance. Got my hip fixed three years ago and 99% of the pain is gone. Raising my daughter would have been a complete bitch with my messed up hip.

So, putting your bias aside, do you think the AHA is a fair deal for all insurees? The best I can tell, it shifted the shit end of the deal from one subsection of the population to another subsection. I'm alright with the new pre-existing condition rules to a degree. But more looking for a comment on if the new plan is actually better, or if it's just a different version of shitty.

|

6/1/2016 9:27 AM

One Last Comeback wrote:

My wife was a full-time PR agent with a house in Florida and life was good.
One day she got bitten by a tick and came down with Lyme disease that almost killed her. She was in a bed for years, no doctor could figure it out.
She lost everything after she blew through her insurance. She went hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. Ended up living in her car for a bit (before I met her) because her family would not take care of her.

What some of the idiots in America don't realize is how bad our system was. It's simple- get chronically ill, you get tossed aside to die.
We are the only advanced nation where this happens, pretty much, all because of an incredibly stupid "survival of the fittest" mentality that is propagated by the Republican party and the simplistic, ignorant outlook of many of its followers.

huck wrote:

"We are the only advanced nation where this happens...". Yet they line up to come here. Makes you wonder, huh?


I think it's more ignorant to expect others to pay for your thrills...but that's just my opinion.

Yeah, they come here from countries that are destroyed by war, gripped with famine, where people don't even have a chance at a meaningful life. I assume you are descended from European immigrants yourself?

I paid for my hip operation- it was not free. I think the issue is paying a reasonable price, rather than a super-inflated price based on a ridiculous medical system.
All of a sudden everybody is worried about doctor's profits.

|

6/1/2016 9:34 AM

One Last Comeback wrote:

I have told this story before, but I went from being pretty much crippled to a productive human again because of Obamacare. My broken hip was a "pre-existing condition" and I could never get a hip replacement. Two-thirds of the bone was gone in the ball of my femur. Doc told me I was walking around on a broken leg. Lived in severe pain every day and night and could barely walk.
My boss saw how much I was suffering and told me to quit and go on disability. This was an office job.

So I was pretty much screwed despite paying $270/month for insurance. Got my hip fixed three years ago and 99% of the pain is gone. Raising my daughter would have been a complete bitch with my messed up hip.

IWreckALot wrote:

So, putting your bias aside, do you think the AHA is a fair deal for all insurees? The best I can tell, it shifted the shit end of the deal from one subsection of the population to another subsection. I'm alright with the new pre-existing condition rules to a degree. But more looking for a comment on if the new plan is actually better, or if it's just a different version of shitty.

I don't really know how costs were shifted. I understand it is onerous for small businesses. It's incredibly complex and I never figured it out.
I never said Obamacare was great. The question was how it affected us personally.
Pre-existing condition was always bullshit. They will insure you for anything except the stuff you might need.

Huck's opinion is that I took something from someone else to get healthy. My opinion is that the cost of my hip operation was lowered to something a reasonable person could afford.

|

6/1/2016 9:41 AM

Hurt! Got fined big time for not having it firstly. Enrolled in Barry's game as a 25 yo, single male, working full time. Nothing but junk mail and spam first off. Picked the plan the PPO that fit in the budget, they cancelled it two months later. Changed the 'premium members' over to an EPO which increased the monthly bill quite a bit. Actually needed to use it two weeks ago on a Friday afternoon. Almost no urgent care in Orange County would accept it (rightfully so as they get fucked themselves). Went to go to the ER at that point. Noticed the ER deductible was $1900 and turned around. And yes, I will get fined in next years taxes when for that month of no coverage when the PPO ended.

I've heard nothing but horror stories from friends with families who rates have just sky rocketed.

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

6/1/2016 10:09 AM

Hurt. Young pay for the old. Got to love the baby boomers.

|

6/1/2016 11:30 AM

One Last Comeback wrote:

I don't really know how costs were shifted. I understand it is onerous for small businesses. It's incredibly complex and I never figured it out.
I never said Obamacare was great. The question was how it affected us personally.
Pre-existing condition was always bullshit. They will insure you for anything except the stuff you might need.

Huck's opinion is that I took something from someone else to get healthy. My opinion is that the cost of my hip operation was lowered to something a reasonable person could afford.

Sorry if I came across as an asshole. I didn't mean that the way it came across. I was just asking if objectively you think the version is "fair" or if you think you were just one of the lucky ones that the new policy benefited. Obamacare in general just seems like it took one version of a bad healthcare system and turned it into another version of bad healthcare. Where it might have benefited others in the past, it puts those same people at a disadvantage to benefit others now.

I guess if I had my way, you would have the choice to pay for health care or not pay for it. It costs the same for every person on it regardless of circumstance. If you opted not to pay for it, and needed it, you're going to pay the going rate at the hospital. That's all a very vague and general way to look at it and it's a fairly complex problem. But leaving the insurance companies involved, while giving it the spice of a very inefficient government management, it just seems like a recipe for a long term disaster. At best, we just changed things for the sake of change.

|

6/1/2016 11:51 AM

The only real good I've seen is you can get coverage for pre-existing conditions and not pay more than someone your age with no conditions.
Health care coverage has always gone up every year. Seems like it's REALLY gone up this past year(s). I pay less, but now have to use a high deductible plan. cost me $100 to go to the doc for the sniffles.

|

6/1/2016 11:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2016 12:03 PM

My insurance went from 680 a year to 999 a year. And my services dropped. Higher deductible for medications. Harder process to see a specialist. And if I don't do my coordinated care program I get hit with the bronze level. At which point is 2987 a year. All new employees start at bronze and are reassessed after a year for platinum if they meet requirements.

And I'm a healthcare worker....

So after getting married and since obamaScamaCare went into effect in I'm paying 5x more. Thanks government.

When I get married in October and add my fiancé she will be added as bronze dependent at $3200 a year. If she meets the coordinates are requirements she will dropped to 1980 a year. Plus my 999 a year.

Yayy. Makes sense to get married. Not really?!


Oh and I couldn't keep my dermatologist for some reason. Because my benefits cut the out of network doctors. And won't accept him as in network. Even though he is phenomenal. They don't wanna pay well for a good doctor. So they try to make see a shitty one. THANKS. So now I worked out a cash deal with him in conjunction with my insurance.

|

GP740
Since 1987

6/1/2016 12:05 PM

Dirty Britches wrote:

The only real good I've seen is you can get coverage for pre-existing conditions and not pay more than someone your age with no conditions.
Health care coverage has always gone up every year. Seems like it's REALLY gone up this past year(s). I pay less, but now have to use a high deductible plan. cost me $100 to go to the doc for the sniffles.

But shouldn't somebody with conditions pay more than somebody without?

If a person has totaled 5 cars, shouldn't their auto insurance be more than mine, who has never gotten a ticket?

|

The message posted above is most likely my opinion and shouldn't be taken as fact....

6/1/2016 12:07 PM

Dirty Britches wrote:

The only real good I've seen is you can get coverage for pre-existing conditions and not pay more than someone your age with no conditions.
Health care coverage has always gone up every year. Seems like it's REALLY gone up this past year(s). I pay less, but now have to use a high deductible plan. cost me $100 to go to the doc for the sniffles.

huck wrote:

But shouldn't somebody with conditions pay more than somebody without?

If a person has totaled 5 cars, shouldn't their auto insurance be more than mine, who has never gotten a ticket?

Correct. But people are walking time bombs. The unhealthy greatly outnumber the healthy. We can't keep up with the bubble. And it's bursting now. and the healthy will just say fuck it and pay more tax penalty. Allowing governmwnt additional revenue to do whatever they want with and not have to cover anyone additional. 2500 pages of law can't fix shit.

|

GP740
Since 1987

6/1/2016 12:10 PM

The ACA was designed by the health care industry, to benefit the health care industry.

Am I the only one who's noticed all the new medical facilities that have been popping up all over the place?

How about the sudden influx of prescription drug commercials on our TVs?

Everyone from the pill pushers to the brain surgeons are cashing in on the rest of us.

The only real fix is to nationalize health care, like the rest of the civilized world.

|

Ask not what your country can do for you, unless you can afford a lobbyist.

6/1/2016 12:18 PM

singletotable88 wrote:

Hurt. Young pay for the old. Got to love the baby boomers.



Not from what I understand.
Certainly not in my case.

I read an article maybe a week ago, the reason a lot of insurers are dropping out of obamacare is that the young
generations, under 30, aren't getting anything, no insurance. Even tho their rates are half of what a baby boomer pays.

hey, why bother, just hang on mommies plan till 26 and worry about the rest later.



|

6/1/2016 12:27 PM

motogeezer wrote:

The ACA was designed by the health care industry, to benefit the health care industry.

Am I the only one who's noticed all the new medical facilities that have been popping up all over the place?

How about the sudden influx of prescription drug commercials on our TVs?

Everyone from the pill pushers to the brain surgeons are cashing in on the rest of us.

The only real fix is to nationalize health care, like the rest of the civilized world.


I don't agree.

Deregulate.
Free college for 6 years if you want to become a doctor.
Strip all the patent rights from the drug companies.
Max cap on malpractice, say 200,000.


Had a workmanship comp claim last year.
6 stitches from some sheet metal on right hand.
Our office was lax, forgot a few of the dozens of reports they require, doctor sent me a letter to pay.
Looking at the bill, just under a grand, I notice the basic office visit was 200.
Sign on the door says office visit is 69.00.
Asked them about it, their reply, if it's government it's 200, individual that walks in, 69.

And Bernie wants more taxes, for more government.
|

6/1/2016 12:49 PM

^^^Deregulate?

Don't make me retell the story about my $13,000 kidney stone.

|

Ask not what your country can do for you, unless you can afford a lobbyist.