Handgun Question

jonjon714
Posts
5916
Joined
4/29/2008
Location
Virginia Beach, VA, USA
Edited Date/Time 1/21/2012 4:07am
I’ve asked my wife about getting a handgun for 10 years and always got the same answer….no well in Hell. After watching 48hrs the other night she starts asking questions about a gun…where would we keep it, kids and safety, training for us and the kids, etc, etc, etc……

My kids are 11, 9, and 5…

I have no idea about what would be best to get…had a .45 and 9mm in the Army years ago…

Any suggestions or helpful information is appreciated…
|
SEEMEFIRST
Posts
14211
Joined
8/21/2006
Location
Arlington, TX, USA
8/22/2008 9:14am
For you, or her? Is this for home protection?

Then ask xewbx. He can speak about these things better than anyone else here.
jonjon714
Posts
5916
Joined
4/29/2008
Location
Virginia Beach, VA, USA
8/22/2008 9:17am Edited Date/Time 8/22/2008 9:20am
For both, home protection...
jonjon714
Posts
5916
Joined
4/29/2008
Location
Virginia Beach, VA, USA
8/22/2008 9:17am
xewbx, any suggestions?
Trinitite
Posts
1253
Joined
12/31/2007
Location
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
8/22/2008 9:32am
Glock 19.

Best overall handgun if you want something for self/home protection that's reliable, affordable, easy to clean/operate, lightweight, etc.

The Shop

fcr
Posts
9348
Joined
12/1/2006
Location
Monkeys Eyebrow, YE
8/22/2008 9:34am
I am not the expert, but get a gun that you and your wife can handle if it comes to that. Most women 9mm would be better if it is between those 2. Less likely to scare the shit out of them. Make sure it fits her hand also. Jm2c
xewbx
Posts
717
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
8/22/2008 9:40am
jonjon714 wrote:
I’ve asked my wife about getting a handgun for 10 years and always got the same answer….no well in Hell. After watching 48hrs the other night...
I’ve asked my wife about getting a handgun for 10 years and always got the same answer….no well in Hell. After watching 48hrs the other night she starts asking questions about a gun…where would we keep it, kids and safety, training for us and the kids, etc, etc, etc……

My kids are 11, 9, and 5…

I have no idea about what would be best to get…had a .45 and 9mm in the Army years ago…

Any suggestions or helpful information is appreciated…
I don't know what state you're in, that can make a difference.....but if available, first thing is........sign you and your wife up for a CCW class if available in your area. I don't care if you NEVER intend to carry concealed...........you still need to know and understand the law, and your responsibilities. This will also provide your wife with a friendly and non threatening environment to become exposed to guns.

Next, my opinions are fairly well known............for most new shooters, I generally recommend a medium frame revolver in .357. I also never recommend a shotgun (or any long gun) for home defense for a novice shooter. I also have no use for 9mm's. However, in your particular case, based on the fact that you used it in the military, but you don't specify that you've done any other shooting prior to, or since your service.............I think the Model 92 9mm, either Taurus (exact replica) or Beretta (what you actually used) is the way to go. You used it in the Army, and you already have a certain comfort factor with it. Believe me, even if it's been years, it will come back to you. Since your wife shows an interest.........stay away from the 1911 (one of my favorite guns-but not beginner friendly as a self defense piece IMHO).

If you turn out to be a shooter and get into it........well, you'll develope an opinion on where to go with future purchases.

If you aren't interested in the 92, any medium frame .357 revolver makes an excellent gun to learn to shoot with, it's extremely safe, the original point and click interface..........and it always goes boom when you pull the trigger. If you really want a semiauto..........and you don't want the 92...........then you can't go wrong with a Springfield Armory XD either in .45 or .40.

Do not make the (sometimes) fatal mistake of not talking to your kids.......and "hiding" the gun. There are a lot of options.........you can sign them up for Eddie Eagle, or a state sponsored Hunter's Ed course (which I think should be mandatory for all kids anyway).

You'll have to make your own decision on whether or not to keep it locked up or not.......I'll not dictate morality to anyone. I will say......introducing a firearm into a non-firearm household with kids that age will require more due dilligence on your part, especially in educating your kids.
Racer92
Posts
17965
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Central, TX, USA
8/22/2008 9:42am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 8:08pm
FWIW, Felicia prefers her Taurus 24/7 9mm semi.



No hammer, easy point & shoot pistol.

She tried our Taurus PT-1911 .45, a Walther PPKS .380 and Norinco 213 9mm and like the 24/7 best.
justlovemx
Posts
371
Joined
7/14/2008
Location
Carlsbad, CA, USA
8/22/2008 9:42am Edited Date/Time 8/22/2008 9:45am
if i was a woman..i'd make sure i know how to use a gun..frickin men can be violent....i taught my kids about guns..everything..my daughter has pepper spray in her purse and in her car by the shifter..she knows choke holds,how to poke eyes out and throat thrusts
alphado
Posts
4147
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Erie, PA, USA
8/22/2008 10:03am
.357 revolver, much easier to use and you can shoot .38s in it for target practice, its cheaper.
SEEMEFIRST
Posts
14211
Joined
8/21/2006
Location
Arlington, TX, USA
8/22/2008 10:11am
alphado wrote:
.357 revolver, much easier to use and you can shoot .38s in it for target practice, its cheaper.
...and you can let it slide around in the back of your truck for a week in the rain, and it will still go off when you squeeze the tigger.
jonjon714
Posts
5916
Joined
4/29/2008
Location
Virginia Beach, VA, USA
8/22/2008 10:22am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 8:08pm
Thanks for the info...

We live in Virginia and my wife and I intend on taking training together. I want my kids to go through some sort of classes or training also.. It only makes sense to me they should about it and be aware of what it can do. I actually want them to shoot it also...

Never was much of a shooter other than rod and gun clubs back in the day..did some trap and skeet shooting...never owned a handgun though...

Will check out the semiautos mentioned...we are going to the pistola store tomorrow...

Thanks agian fellas!!!

JoJmoto
Posts
1783
Joined
11/8/2006
Location
Clarkesville, GA, USA
8/22/2008 10:57am
Jonjon, a 4” double action revolver is what you would want over a semi auto. There are fewer things that can go wrong in a time of need. I would suggest a .38 cal. It is cheaper to shoot and the recoil is not as heavy as a .357. However, the hit of a .357 hit obliterating to what it hits and you can shoot .38 bullets in a .357 if bullet cost is an issue. But your wife too would feel more comfortable with the smaller framed, easier shooting .38.

With a revolver, it is a point and pull action. If the gun does not fire due to bad ammo or whatever, point and pull again until it goes off. With a semi auto, there are several actions you will have to do before you are able to shoot.

xewbx is on the money with taking a safety course. You and your wife would benefit greatly from it. Then sign your 9 and 11 year old up for a hunter’s safety course if your State will allow children that young to participate in one. If they don’t, take what you have learned and put on a course with all of them yourself. My boys are 11 and 9 and I have talked with them about gun safety since they were 5.
JoJmoto
Posts
1783
Joined
11/8/2006
Location
Clarkesville, GA, USA
8/22/2008 11:10am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 8:08pm
Here are two really nice guns at two different spectrums of the cost side. The S&W is at the higher end and comes in different sizes. Both these weapons have adjustable rear sights, which is something you will want to look for. The cost varies depending whaere you buy it.

http://www.gundirectory.com/more.asp?gid=20445&gun=Revolver


http://www.gundirectory.com/more.asp?gid=20314&gun=Revolver
justlovemx
Posts
371
Joined
7/14/2008
Location
Carlsbad, CA, USA
8/22/2008 11:26am
we did gun safety in BOY SCOUTS..took the NRA test...that wouldn't be PC these days..my first gun i shot was a 45..could barly hold on
alphado
Posts
4147
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Erie, PA, USA
8/22/2008 11:59am
I took my hunter safety course as an elective in 8th grade.
JoJmoto
Posts
1783
Joined
11/8/2006
Location
Clarkesville, GA, USA
8/22/2008 12:00pm
Yeah, I dont thik there is an age limit in most States.
maicoman
Posts
764
Joined
5/17/2007
Location
USA
8/22/2008 1:24pm
I'll back everything xewbx has stated, so for what it's worth, I'll throw in my 2c.

The CCW and any type of shooting class is where you should start. Now for the wife part, mine started with the SW 357 revolver with .38 loads, next was the Glock 17, then another small frame semi 9mm, P99, now staying put with the Glock 21, full size .45.

Most people hate the size of the 21 and being female her hands are small, but for some reason she loves the thing and shoots it very well, so I'd say, just try as many as you can, then decide.

SEEMEFIRST
Posts
14211
Joined
8/21/2006
Location
Arlington, TX, USA
8/22/2008 1:48pm
Any reputable gun store will let you shoot before you buy. Like Maicoman says, shoot until she finds one that fits her. Aside from the obvious, fit is one of the very most important elements of consistant shooting. IMO.

For example, go shoot some clays with a shotgun that's too short...You'll suck.
jonjon714
Posts
5916
Joined
4/29/2008
Location
Virginia Beach, VA, USA
8/22/2008 1:50pm
Thanks again fellas....

I've been doing research today and now I'm thinking .357 also...

If it's ever needed I do want it to go pow...

Who knows, my wife is pretty cool with "guy" shit and may actually get off on shooting and want a semiauto down the road...

I have a "plan" and intend to try the ole his and hers dealio!!!


maicoman
Posts
764
Joined
5/17/2007
Location
USA
8/22/2008 2:36pm
jonjon714 wrote:
Thanks again fellas.... I've been doing research today and now I'm thinking .357 also... If it's ever needed I do want it to go pow... Who...
Thanks again fellas....

I've been doing research today and now I'm thinking .357 also...

If it's ever needed I do want it to go pow...

Who knows, my wife is pretty cool with "guy" shit and may actually get off on shooting and want a semiauto down the road...

I have a "plan" and intend to try the ole his and hers dealio!!!


Be careful with that , I use the fully tested ," it's a gift for you honey" method.
mcphilly
Posts
1245
Joined
7/29/2008
Location
Monroe, WA, USA
8/22/2008 3:04pm
why dont you just get a 12 gage shotgun if its for home protection...You barley have to aim the thing and your target will more than likely be down..........If you really want a hand gun I would check out the HK 40 cal. Its a very nice gun.
wpcjs
Posts
956
Joined
1/11/2007
Location
Yorkville, IL, USA
8/22/2008 3:15pm
Shot guns a bad choice.IMO
jay_547
Posts
640
Joined
4/7/2008
Location
Broken Arrow, OK, USA
8/22/2008 3:24pm
here for a ccw, there are two types - revolver and semi. if you test with a semi, you are licensed for both. if you test with a revolver, you have to test again for a semi. check your state rules.
JoJmoto
Posts
1783
Joined
11/8/2006
Location
Clarkesville, GA, USA
8/22/2008 3:30pm
Thats because you have to know how to clear a jam or a stove pipe or a failure. Revovlers are simple so, that makes sence.
xewbx
Posts
717
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
8/22/2008 4:36pm
mcphilly wrote:
why dont you just get a 12 gage shotgun if its for home protection...You barley have to aim the thing and your target will more than...
why dont you just get a 12 gage shotgun if its for home protection...You barley have to aim the thing and your target will more than likely be down..........If you really want a hand gun I would check out the HK 40 cal. Its a very nice gun.
1. At home defense distances......you do have to aim.
2. Unless it's a purpose built defensive shotgun (and I don't mean a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip my friends), it's using a safety designed around field carry in a hunting situation. These are notoriously unsafe in defensive situations (there's a reason why hunters NEVER lean a long gun against a fence).
3. To much leverage. Even with the shortest possible barrel (legal, not functional) and a pistol grip.....if you're on one side of a corner with your shotgun, and I'm on the other with my pistol, in your house.........you're going to lose that shotgun when you come around the corner. You also can't open a door and hold a flashlight. Or lock/unlock a door with a key while holding your shotgun. In all these instances, the length = leverage that can be used against you.
4. Have you ever actually shot a pistol gripped 12ga shotgun?
5. Non defensive designed (purpose built defensive long guns) are the type of firearms most likely to be involved in an AD, and the most likely to be used against the home owner.

I have no issue with a safe room situation. If you have a family plan and a safe room, and have a shotgun and cell phone in that room.........and your plan is getting the family in there then calling 911........damn skippy......shot gun is great.

However, most people hear a noise........and they want to see what it is. Walking around in your house, juggling your shotgun and flashlight and key ring.......well, if it is a bad guy.......you probably won't come out so well.

Now, you can mitigate this if you insist on a shotgun........buy a defensive, bullpup type...put a taclight on it.......whatever......or you could use a hand gun.
Ivan
Posts
792
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Long Beach, CA, USA
8/22/2008 4:52pm
Handguns are only useful for killing people.


I cant wait.
dookiepie37
Posts
105
Joined
4/3/2008
Location
Tupelo, MS, USA
8/22/2008 6:53pm
I love the P89 from Ruger---270 bucks and almost as trusty as the Mossberg 500 as far as realiability. A box of 50 at walmart is 7 bucks so its cheap to practice. I know there are lots of better guns out there, but this one is cheap and easy to shoot. Just something you may want to check into. Good luck with whatever you choose. I hope you never have to use it.
ProMed
Posts
2947
Joined
9/11/2006
Location
São Paulo, BR
8/22/2008 7:40pm
xewbx, what do you think about the Springfield XD .45?

xewbx
Posts
717
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
8/23/2008 7:47am
ProMed wrote:
xewbx, what do you think about the Springfield XD .45? [img]http://www.xdpistols.com/images/xd45compact_splash.jpg[/img]
xewbx, what do you think about the Springfield XD .45?

I love that gun............seriously. That's the only .45 I've ever shot that I liked as much (maybe even more) than the 1911.

It's a sweet gun for sure.
JoJmoto
Posts
1783
Joined
11/8/2006
Location
Clarkesville, GA, USA
8/23/2008 7:53am
ProMed wrote:
xewbx, what do you think about the Springfield XD .45? [img]http://www.xdpistols.com/images/xd45compact_splash.jpg[/img]
xewbx, what do you think about the Springfield XD .45?

I own a XD40 and love it. It was one of the first models so, it does not have that coating that keeps the metal from getting the surface rust so, I have to keep it oiled. Mine is the 5" tatical and OD green. Great shooting gun, better then my Glock 22.

Post a reply to: Handgun Question

The Latest